Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Besides, Sekai basically dragged his team through the entire second half of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

boom boom boom posted:

Nope, the Try Burning's glowy parts went from red back to blue, but it never actually powered down, and Sekai's cockpit hologram thing was red with all the CAUTION signs, but it never went black like when a fighter is defeated. The Try Burning was not actually defeated in that fight.

Yeah I mean it used up all of its power, lost an arm, and the pilot literally passed out and was functionally unable to continue fighting but it technically didn't get totally destroyed so it doesn't count.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Try Burning looks hosed up and Sekai has a nasty looking rash on his neck in the preview, so that technicality might come back up. I'd like to see which fighting style gets surprisingly uttered by the crowd when Junya tries to tear Sekai's trachea out via Gunpla.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sekai's already lost a few other times anyways. He lost against Sakai in episode four when they were using SD kits, he lost against Sudou's Gundam The End, even with Yuuma and Fumina's help and while technically he drew against Wilfred because the time limit ran out, it's hard to take any other conclusion from it other than that he lost given that Wilfred threw away his main weapon without using it as a fair play measure given that it was a friendly match, and the Build Burning finished the match with no arms. It's a loss in the same way Seiji lost against Yuuki in episode 6 of the original really. It's a draw on the surface, but a loss when you think about it.

Four losses in 20 episodes is actually a pretty respectable ratio too. The problem isn't that he never losses, it's that he never seems to care or take any kind of lesson away from those losses. His loss against Sakai should have been a lesson in humility as well as having him acknowledge that he's not a good builder and is dependent on Yuuma and Fumina for help in that regard. This should also have served as incentive to learn a bit more about building. The acknowledgement doesn't even really need to be made explicit (it's already pretty well implicated that he recognizes this regardless), but he didn't do anything about building or repairing until his unit was damaged against Wilfred so he took nothing at all from that loss, so an explicit acknowledgement would at least have been something.

Sudou steamrolling him should have been a lesson that there's some fights he straight up can't win because his style just isn't good against those people, and team work is necessary at times. Which really suggests it should have taken place much earlier in the show to be honest. The fact that Sekai and Yuuma's name calling and childish fighting would be much shorter if that fight had taken place earlier is just a bonus, because that poo poo was really repetitive and it took them way too long to actually start working together. Never mind that it's pretty much all on Yuuma's end and Yuuma practically fellates Sekai every time he talks about him now.

Honestly, I just think Build Fighters Try should have been Build Fighters Duo/Dual/Double or something instead, two people to a team and the main characters being one builder learning to fight and one fighter learning to build, helping balance each other's weaknesses. Three characters to a team stretches the fight choreography, budget and writing too much.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 20, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

muike posted:

And the fact that it has the cooling strands from an Amalgam Arm Slave.

Seeing that got me insanely hyped to see the Laevatein animated in SRW Z3.

Then I remembered how awful the FMP units looked in part 1.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Level Slide posted:

Try Burning looks hosed up and Sekai has a nasty looking rash on his neck in the preview, so that technicality might come back up. I'd like to see which fighting style gets surprisingly uttered by the crowd when Junya tries to tear Sekai's trachea out via Gunpla.

Krav Maga has a textbook throat strike. Using it against someone not trying to kill you is kinda frowned on. On the other hand, Junya is kinda making his bid as a Monster Heel so bring on ALL the cheap heat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If he uses sambo i will poo poo myself

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Someone dug up that scan of the lost Meijin II design again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Krav Maga has a textbook throat strike. Using it against someone not trying to kill you is kinda frowned on. On the other hand, Junya is kinda making his bid as a Monster Heel so bring on ALL the cheap heat.

It looks pretty clearly like what he's doing his taking his beam scarf and wrapping it around Sekai's throat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
beam scarf, beam katar, beam perm, whatever you want, we got it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muike posted:

beam scarf, beam katar, beam perm, whatever you want, we got it

Can you do me a beam mobile suit, complete with beam thrusters, beam guns and beam kicks? Preferably red ones. I have a customer who'll pay triple for it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

tsob posted:

Sekai's already lost a few other times anyways. He lost against Sakai in episode four when they were using SD kits, he lost against Sudou's Gundam The End, even with Yuuma and Fumina's help and while technically he drew against Wilfred because the time limit ran out, it's hard to take any other conclusion from it other than that he lost given that Wilfred threw away his main weapon without using it as a fair play measure given that it was a friendly match, and the Build Burning finished the match with no arms. It's a loss in the same way Seiji lost against Yuuki in episode 6 of the original really. It's a draw on the surface, but a loss when you think about it.

Four losses in 20 episodes is actually a pretty respectable ratio too. The problem isn't that he never losses, it's that he never seems to care or take any kind of lesson away from those losses. His loss against Sakai should have been a lesson in humility as well as having him acknowledge that he's not a good builder and is dependent on Yuuma and Fumina for help in that regard. This should also have served as incentive to learn a bit more about building. The acknowledgement doesn't even really need to be made explicit (it's already pretty well implicated that he recognizes this regardless), but he didn't do anything about building or repairing until his unit was damaged against Wilfred so he took nothing at all from that loss, so an explicit acknowledgement would at least have been something.

Sudou steamrolling him should have been a lesson that there's some fights he straight up can't win because his style just isn't good against those people, and team work is necessary at times. Which really suggests it should have taken place much earlier in the show to be honest. The fact that Sekai and Yuuma's name calling and childish fighting would be much shorter if that fight had taken place earlier is just a bonus, because that poo poo was really repetitive and it took them way too long to actually start working together. Never mind that it's pretty much all on Yuuma's end and Yuuma practically fellates Sekai every time he talks about him now.

Honestly, I just think Build Fighters Try should have been Build Fighters Duo/Dual/Double or something instead, two people to a team and the main characters being one builder learning to fight and one fighter learning to build, helping balance each other's weaknesses. Three characters to a team stretches the fight choreography, budget and writing too much.

He did learn something from his fight with Minato, though. The whole thing about becoming one with the Build Burning Gundam as opposed to just trying to force it to move the way he wanted it to move stemmed from that loss, and Minato even had a bit of a freakout when he saw Sekai piloting the BBG much more effectively than he did his Musha Godmaru.

Also, Sudou was the guy on team G-Master with the Mega-Shiki. Adou Saga was the one with Gundam The End.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

W.T. Fits posted:

He did learn something from his fight with Minato, though. The whole thing about becoming one with the Build Burning Gundam as opposed to just trying to force it to move the way he wanted it to move stemmed from that loss, and Minato even had a bit of a freakout when he saw Sekai piloting the BBG much more effectively than he did his Musha Godmaru.

Also, Sudou was the guy on team G-Master with the Mega-Shiki. Adou Saga was the one with Gundam The End.

Ah, you're right. I'd forgotten that was the incentive to learn to move with his Gunpla. Pity that the "steps" he used in the following fight only really appeared once after that, during the dragon fight - they were cool.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is that some sort of beginning monstrosity?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's the Beginning 30, bar none the worst gundam design to ever be animated.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 20, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So many lines. :stare:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Only in FB, it's ok in Maxi Boost http://exvsrank.ninja-x.jp/exvsmb_30.html

Didn't bother to actually find out how they managed to make it not suck.

Edit: Also, Kapool is the worst unit in the game. Which is a huge crime to be honest.

Man I knew the banshee norn was loving overpowered when I first played against it in FB guess my suspicions were confirmed.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I have the Beginning gundam and the Beginning J, really cool builds. Haven't seen the B30 in person yet.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gearhead posted:

Someone dug up that scan of the lost Meijin II design again.

Well that'd explain why it's on par with the Burning.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The real horror of a Meijin II build is the rumor that these models actually ARE cursed. Gunpla that stains the soul.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I will laugh so hard if the plot twist turns out to be that Junya has assimilated with the Denial and turned evil, and that Sekai must exorcize the Second Meijin's legacy through gratuitous amounts of punching.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I will laugh so hard if the plot twist turns out to be that Junya has assimilated with the Denial and turned evil, and that Sekai must exorcize the Second Meijin's legacy through gratuitous amounts of punching.

No, that can't happen because Sekai would've already sensed it with his punch-pffthahaha.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It fairness, the model is probably doing something with Embody or inducing Assimilation.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

Yeah I mean it used up all of its power, lost an arm, and the pilot literally passed out and was functionally unable to continue fighting but it technically didn't get totally destroyed so it doesn't count.

It didn't use up all it's power, Sekai just couldn't maintain the burning spirit phase. the Try Burning was still on, the clear parts were still glowing.

Do you not remember the fights from season 1? Losing an arm should mean the fight's just getting good. The Build Strike and Zaku Amazing kept fighting down to their backpacks. The best fight in Try so far involved two fighters getting blown in half and they kept fighting.

Sekai didn't literally pass out, he literally fell to his knees because his arm hurt. Which is extra special bullshit, because if Sekai can't keep fighting while enduring the pain of losing a limb, the stupid Assimilation nonsense means we aren't going to get anymore great fights where the opponents wreck each others poo poo. Not featuring the main character, at least.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Assimilation is seriously the stupidest possible thing they could put into the Build Fighters universe

"Remember, everyone, Gunpla is supposed to be fun! By the way, that guy feels the damage his Gunpla takes, so, just keep that in mind. Oh, you replaced the tendrils on your Agguguy with heat whips from the Epyon? That's clever! Just remember, if you use those on your opponent's Gunpla, he'll actually feel like his flesh is being melted off his bones. Have fun!"

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The worst part of assimilation is that it is apparently such a thing that everyone knows what it is to the extent that it even has a name. Sure, let the kids play this game that can actually kill them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Loving how at the outset both sides declared that this would be three 1v1 fights and nobody would even pretend to try teamwork.

While unlikely, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Sekai actually gets the Build Burning destroyed given that Sei sent what appears to be enough spare parts to build a complete second one. I mean yeah, Yuuma would have to do the Build Burning to Try Burning mods again but he already did it once. That would also give Yuuma and Fumina the chance to take down Junya with superior tactics instead of relying on Jigen Haoh poo poo to carry the day.

You know what, I'll be honest. At this point I kind of thirst to see the heroes' blood spilled and want to see either Yuuma or Sekai's robots get completely destroyed - not just lose an arm or get some holes poked in it, but turned into loving confetti. I'm still a little annoyed that the Meijin intervened before Saga could scornfully tear the Build Burning in half at the lab.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nuru posted:

The worst part of assimilation is that it is apparently such a thing that everyone knows what it is to the extent that it even has a name. Sure, let the kids play this game that can actually kill them.

Also is it just me, or do the supposed Jigen Haoh moves not actually translate very well into actual martial arts moves? Can't help but think they should've gone Street Fighter rather than Dragon Ball Z with those.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...What? The only move in the list that references something else is the hurricane kick, which is literally straight from Street Fighter.

Of the various moves Sekai has used, only the punch, uppercut, kick, and hurricane kick seem to be actual Jigen Haoh moves. The spin punch is explicitly stated to be impossible for humans, the shockwave works thanks to plavsky particles, and the phoenix isn't even a Jigen Haoh move, Junya just thinks it is.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 20, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

boom boom boom posted:

It didn't use up all it's power, Sekai just couldn't maintain the burning spirit phase. the Try Burning was still on, the clear parts were still glowing.

Do you not remember the fights from season 1? Losing an arm should mean the fight's just getting good. The Build Strike and Zaku Amazing kept fighting down to their backpacks. The best fight in Try so far involved two fighters getting blown in half and they kept fighting.

Sekai didn't literally pass out, he literally fell to his knees because his arm hurt. Which is extra special bullshit, because if Sekai can't keep fighting while enduring the pain of losing a limb, the stupid Assimilation nonsense means we aren't going to get anymore great fights where the opponents wreck each others poo poo. Not featuring the main character, at least.

I just rewatched the scene. Sekai falls over with his eyes closing after firing his suicide phoenix and the Try Burning collapses like a puppet with its strings cut(he presumably wakes up later, but he has no further dialogue for the remainder of the fight and both Yuuma and Hoshino talk as if he's not there anymore so it's a safe bet that he's out and just wakes up as the fight's ending). The Try Burning might still be technically activated, but it's got a full red cockpit with CAUTION everywhere as well. It's about as functional as it was when Sekai was unable to move when the Mega Shiki punched him in the face, i.e. still technically intact but effectively out of the fight in all meaningful senses of the term. If the Winning and Lightning hadn't been able to finish the dragon the Try Burning certainly had nothing left to give.

This isn't even the first time where Sekai has lost. The Musha Godmaru got obliterated. His initial fight against Wilfrid went evenly because Wilfrid actively handicapped himself by throwing away his primary weapon, then Sekai threw everything he had into the phoenix, whiffed entirely, blew his arms off, and only didn't lose because the time ran out. There's a lot of problems with fight choreography in this show but "Sekai wins everything all the time" isn't one of them.

I agree that assimilation is really, really dumb and an awful way to attempt to add tension to the fights because it actually leeches the tension out of the fights because you know they're not going to permanently injure Sekai in any way so they can't really obliterate his gunpla.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 20, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

...What? The only move in the list that references something else is the hurricane kick, which is literally straight from Street Fighter.

Of the various moves Sekai has used, only the punch, uppercut, kick, and hurricane kick seem to be actual Jigen Haoh moves. The spin punch is explicitly stated to be impossible for humans, the shockwave works thanks to plavsky particles, and the phoenix isn't even a Jigen Haoh move, Junya just thinks it is.

It would have been cool to have Sekai be a normal martial artist (karate, judo, whatever) who is a big Gunpla fan and develops a martial art specifically for Gunpla battles that targets the model's weaknesses in the same way God Fist targets mechs and Hokuto Shinken targets people, making up his own special moves using the model's mechanical nature and getting really, really chuuni about it while every around him acts a bit weirded out by it at first, but eventually accepts it, because gently caress it...it's fun. Junya could have been a guy who realized it was a good idea and made his own school of Gunpla-ken to rival Sekai's, maybe targeting armor instead of joints or what have you so that their fight styles are a little different.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 20, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When did I say that Sekai always wins? I said that Sekai has never been knocked out of a fight before it was over. Even in the triplets fight, he was still technically in play.

What I want, is for Sekai to be taken out of a fight, and Yuuma and Fumina to have to adjust to that and figure out how to win without their "Ace".

Even if Sekai had actually been out at the end of the triplet fight, he had made their enemy immobile, all that was left for Yuuma and Fumina was to do their finishers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

My point is that nothing about most of them is explicitly a specialized martial art strike. There's nothing inherently special to either punches beyond the plavsky effects, he just dives forward and smacks them with a flaming fist. Hell, go watch the fight from the last episode; Both strikes just have the same basic swing with different swirly lights. The only one that's actually interesting is the end of the Hurricane Kick, because it actually caps off with a unique spinning kick.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

:psyduck:

Okay you're going to have to explain to me what you're saying here, because I'm getting at least three different meanings from your posts and to be honest they're all kind of stupid.

1) Jigen Haoh isn't a good martial arts style because it's just basic punches/kicks, nothing fancy.
And neither are most martial arts styles, since as it turns out a good punch/kick is all most people really need. And Sekai even took advantage of the fact he was piloting a robot to spice things up with the spin punch and the crazy shockwave.

2) Jigen Haoh isn't a valid martial arts style because Sekai is just doing whatever while screaming the name, only the hurricane kick has him go through a set motion.
This is complete bullshit because, thanks to the beauty of stock animation, Sekai is in fact doing the exact same motion every time for every move.

3) Jigen Haoh is straight from DBZ because it's just punches with fancy effects.
Have you even read/watched DBZ?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boom boom boom posted:

When did I say that Sekai always wins? I said that Sekai has never been knocked out of a fight before it was over. Even in the triplets fight, he was still technically in play.

Can't really agree to that last part because Sekai couldn't do poo poo regardless of how much he may have wanted to going by the way the show presents it, but the broader point is definitely true. Sadly it's more just a sympton of the show's unwillingness to do anything meaningful with its own team format. Almost every fight in the show has manipulated events in some way to either marginalize the teams or reduce them to one member quickly, either by having all 3 in one mobile armor/combiner so that they're basically one unit, only one unit fighting for contrived reasons, jobbing two of the units out quick because the members are non-entities and there's only one named team member or what have you. The regional final is perhaps the only fight in the show so far that didn't do this really. I assume it's a mixture of the budget not being that great, the writers being lazy and/or the choreographer not being that great, but either way it's running through the entire show, not just Sekai or Team Try. The show has a team aspect on paper, but in practice it might as well be one-v-one a lot of the time.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The thing is, the situation Sekai was in was not a game-ender. Robot doesn't have a right arm, Sekai can't use his right arm and is in incredible pain, can't sustain the super mode anymore. Almost fell unconscious, or very briefly did. Ok, but none of that means he can't fight.

This is another problem with assimilation, Sekai can't actually be taken out of the fight. The amount of damage that the Try Burning would have to sustain for the system to count it as dead, as established by previous fights, is way higher than what they can do to Sekai. They aren't going to recreate that scene from Evangelion where Asuka's eva get it's arms and head cut off.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Yeah the whole "team" schtick--not to mention even having more than one personality on an alleged team--is pretty much not a thing past the Try Fighters, the Gunpla Academy, and I guess team G-Master (Yes I did have to look their name up. :v:) It's been one person and two hanger-ons almost all the way back. 2-person teams would have been much more realistic as a goal than what we have now. I mean, they'd still have to write a greater number of actual characters than they've done thusfar, so maybe that'd be just as much a crapshoot. :shrug:

That said, they've set up the Gunpla Academy as well as they've done anything this season, and there's a little more time to build it up further, so maybe that'll give us a good 3v3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

1) Jigen Haoh isn't a good martial arts style because it's just basic punches/kicks, nothing fancy.
And neither are most martial arts styles, since as it turns out a good punch/kick is all most people really need. And Sekai even took advantage of the fact he was piloting a robot to spice things up with the spin punch and the crazy shockwave.

This is true for real martial arts, but it's not what you do for a movie or TV series. Break out the fancy exotic moves like palm strikes or elbow-strikes because they're far more entertaining. Hell, most martial arts moves have a purpose, to strike a specific area or to counter a blow. All we get out of Jigen Haoh most of the time is Flying Flame Punch Effect #1 and #2, both of which are just fancy flavours of the same net effect; punch with fire, opponent falls down and goes boom :effort:. Hell, even the RG Build Knuckle at least required Reiji to get the SBS in close to deliver it.

We even know Sekai can do interesting moves, he shattered the sword on Mantis Guy's Enact just by stopping it cold with a punch to the side of the blade in the first episode. The Seiken-Zuki he delivered with the Dom looked far more interesting too, because it was a proper standing strike that warped the poo poo out of the Enact as the impact traveled through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think to better help the writers, they should've forced the team tournament to have 1 non-mobile suit support unit like a ball or radar tank as the third member, so they have at least less excuse why they can't execute a 3v3 worth a poo poo beyond segmented 1v1 fights.

• Locked thread