Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Here's a thought regarding Arc-V: how do you think they're going to translate that scene where Yugo doesn't understand that Yuto isn't referring to him but to the Fusion users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Here's a thought regarding Arc-V: how do you think they're going to translate that scene where Yugo doesn't understand that Yuto isn't referring to him but to the Fusion users?

Wordplay is always a bitch to translate/localize.
If they're good they'd replace it with another joke.
If they're not then I expect just some regular dialogue.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wordplay is always a bitch to translate/localize.
If they're good they'd replace it with another joke.
If they're not then I expect just some regular dialogue.

They could always Localize his name as Fusen

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

They could always Localize his name as Fusen

But tben he wont be a yu*.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yusen

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They won't try and translate the wordplay, they know better than that. They'll probably just have Yuto accuse Yugo, maybe get his name wrong.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"My name's not Hugo, darn it."

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Well, according to the text in the show, he actually "Hyugo". :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty stupid but drat if it didn't made me laugh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kay Kessler posted:

Well, according to the text in the show, he actually "Hyugo". :v:

Hyugo and Uto, alternate versions of Yuya.
Over fifteen years this show has been going on and the engrish just keeps getting stronger.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It'd be really dumb, but part of me hopes that they just leave everything in as is. The ultimate inside joke.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Watching the battle city arc on Netflix.

Huh, did some random kid get the role as that kid that slips the bum card into Joey's deck? Like off of a Make A Wish deal or something?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 19, 2015

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, I doubt it. He was originally in the manga too, and actually got sprayed in the eyes with a can of bugspray (instead of silly string) when he complained about getting a crap card as his reward.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He means the voice actor, don't worry another child voice comes back later for babby Odion. I think someone's kid was at the recording studio those days or something.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know if I will watch any of the series after GX, or if i'll even watch GX, but do they still all believe in the heart of the cards?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I don't know if I will watch any of the series after GX, or if i'll even watch GX, but do they still all believe in the heart of the cards?

no, really they don't believe in it in DM either, "Trust My Deck" basically just became "Heart of the Cards"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ask Kaiba how that Heart of the Cards worked out for him when he did the first unselfish thing in years and tried to rescue Mokuba.

I wish shounen anime would stop trying to teach lessons because the lessons aren't real lessons. They're just smokescreens to explain why the Main Character keeps winning. Yugi doesn't win because he has faith or fights for what's right, he wins because he's the hero.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Ask Kaiba how that Heart of the Cards worked out for him when he did the first unselfish thing in years and tried to rescue Mokuba.

I wish shounen anime would stop trying to teach lessons because the lessons aren't real lessons. They're just smokescreens to explain why the Main Character keeps winning. Yugi doesn't win because he has faith or fights for what's right, he wins because he's the hero.

Actually he wins because his Millenium Puzzle allows him to alter fate and probablity to draw the cards he wants.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Destiny Draw is a literal game mechanic in the Tag Force games and it's great.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark posted:

Destiny Draw is a literal game mechanic in the Tag Force games and it's great.

Same with Duelist of the Roses!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yugi wins because he duels honorably and has something to fight for...!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

this juxtaposition between all these orphans and saving the world and Mina getting :boom: re-loving-JECTED by Jack :psyduck:

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I just got through episode 14 of Arc V and man, the principal is literally a better teacher and all around cool guy than the entire staff of the duel academy in gx. His overblown reactions to his monsters getting destroyed were great. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

To be fair that's sort of asking like how Zenkai worked for Krillian after being killed by "Demons", Intergalatic Pirate Overlords, Eldrich Horrors and his Insane Brother In Law.

Besides (and this is only observed by omition) Kaiba seemed to be OK with Kaibaman being a thing in GX so maybe he mellowed out in his 20's

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I can only assume at this point that Beer Waifu has been killed on consumed by the Zexal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yuma turned super saiyan and I am now a ghost like Astral.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yuma turned super saiyan and I am now a ghost like Astral.

Ha, just wait until he unlocks Dark Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Onmi posted:

Ha, just wait until he unlocks Dark Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3.

Oh god, you are not joking, are you.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

:unsmigghh:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sadly he isn't. Bonus points for Super Saiyan 2 allowing him to physically alter a card in his hand.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

No. No I'm not. Super Saiyan allows him to create a card and Draw it (Shining Draw) Dark Super Saiyan is what happens when Alien Ghost goes Eeeeeeeevil, Super Saiyan 2 allows him to do Shining Draw AND change a card in his hand into a card that does not exist that can get him out of the situation (Re-Contract Universe), and Super Saiyan 3 creates the Zexal Field, which doesn't actually do anything for the duel.

Linked images, in case someone wants to actually watch Zexal to experience the stupid rather than just look at the images (Don't watch Zexal, just laugh at the images)

bondster
May 6, 2007

I just finished Season 2 of GX and Hassleberry literally tapped into his inner spirit (which is a TRex with a do rag) to team up with an alien that came from a card to go into space to destroy an actual man made satellite before it hypnotized everyone on Earth. Which Jaden had a great view to once he played a card that summoned space.

This is the silliest goddamn show.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

bondster posted:

I just finished Season 2 of GX and Hassleberry literally tapped into his inner spirit (which is a TRex with a do rag) to team up with an alien that came from a card to go into space to destroy an actual man made satellite before it hypnotized everyone on Earth. Which Jaden had a great view to once he played a card that summoned space.

Now prepare to get really upset at the show for forgetting it was supposed to not take the whole cardgame thing to seriously.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

Now prepare to get really upset at the show for forgetting it was supposed to not take the whole cardgame thing to seriously.

GX season 3 may include slavery, human sacrifice, genocide, mass ritual sacrifice, heart-attacks, zombies, death, apathy, more death and on and on.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

bondster posted:

Best part is that the whole thing with Hassleberry is build up for a thing he does in Season 4 which, in my humble opinion, is the single greatest episode in all of the spinoffs.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Best part is that the whole thing with Hassleberry is build up for a thing he does in Season 4 which, in my humble opinion, is the single greatest episode in all of the spinoffs.

what episode number? I kinda skipped most of Season 4 because it was eh.

edit: aside from the Chazz going pro episodes recommendation

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bondster posted:

Sartorius: Stop your laughing!
Jaden: Lighten up, this is what dueling’s all about bro; having a good time.
Sartorius: Nonsense!
Jaden: Hate to break it to you but it’s true. Not everyone duels for world domination and ultimate power. I gotta teach you about a little thing we humans call having fun. And let me tell ya, it sure beats being a maniacal nutjob. It’s true, if you’re not having a good time, well then, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Sartorius: Enough!
Jaden: I just wanna help. If you just chilled out you’d see that this world isn’t such a bad place.
Aster: Uh Syrus, does he realize he’s reasoning with a psychopathic alien?

Atem won't shut up about DESTINY and Yusei is dueling to rectify the social, political and economic injustice heaped upon him and his friends but Jaden is dueling just because card games are fun.

Best Protagonist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Sartorius: Stop your laughing!
Jaden: Lighten up, this is what dueling’s all about bro; having a good time.
Sartorius: Nonsense!
Jaden: Hate to break it to you but it’s true. Not everyone duels for world domination and ultimate power. I gotta teach you about a little thing we humans call having fun. And let me tell ya, it sure beats being a maniacal nutjob. It’s true, if you’re not having a good time, well then, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Sartorius: Enough!
Jaden: I just wanna help. If you just chilled out you’d see that this world isn’t such a bad place.
Aster: Uh Syrus, does he realize he’s reasoning with a psychopathic alien?

Atem won't shut up about DESTINY and Yusei is dueling to rectify the social, political and economic injustice heaped upon him and his friends but Jaden is dueling just because card games are fun.

Best Protagonist.

And this is why I hate Season 3 and 4, because both of them decided that moody, unhappy, serious Judai were the way to go, including Judai dramatically deciding to drop out because of all the ~danger~ he brings to others through dueling.

Although apparently the final duel of the series literally exists as the universes way of telling him "okay dramatic poo poo is over now, go have fun."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

what episode number? I kinda skipped most of Season 4 because it was eh.

edit: aside from the Chazz going pro episodes recommendation

Episode 172, you might want to know what's going on at the start, but trust me, it works even better when you have no idea why stuff is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

And this is why I hate Season 3 and 4, because both of them decided that moody, unhappy, serious Judai were the way to go, including Judai dramatically deciding to drop out because of all the ~danger~ he brings to others through dueling.

Although apparently the final duel of the series literally exists as the universes way of telling him "okay dramatic poo poo is over now, go have fun."

That's basically what happens, yeah. After a nearly full season in which Judai just flat-out refuses to play card games for fun because he can't see the fun in something that has risked his life and the lives of those close to him over and over again (which I really can't blame him for after season 3), Yugi appears and tells him that he's forgotten something important, then sends him back in time to fight his past self, back when he still had the Millenium Puzzle, with powers that were not explained and made no sense whatsoever. Anyways...

During the duel Judai finally remembers that important thing he forgot: that he's meant to have fun playing card games, and what's more fun than facing the goddamn King of Games? The duel never shows its conclusion and it doesn't need to - it shows Judai finally smiling like he did before and being happy and fun, things that clearly stuck considering his portrayal in Bonds Beyond Time.