Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Here's some random stuff I've noticed as I've been mindlessly grinding characters/weapon skills up.:

Lana Summoning Gate stuff:
- I don't know if this was always the case or if there was a buff at some point, but Lana's Summoning Gate is actually pretty good on giant boss weakpoints. Everyone already knows the Argorok powered C5 combo is amazing, but I was breaking gauges with powered up C3 and C4 earlier as well. Pretty much the only summon that sucks to get is Dodongo, but if you dodge cancel and summon again, you'll likely still have enough time to break the gauge unless you get Dodongo again or maybe Manhandla.

- I was also able to break some giant boss WPGs with the gate just by doing Strong Attack dodge canceled into Strong Attack repeatedly. This relies on luck somewhat, though. It seems like you want Gohmas mostly if you go for this plan.

- I used to think the powered up Manhandla combo wasn't great. Even though it builds a ton of meter, it takes forever and PCs like to dodge out of it before the bullet seeds happen. However, if you do powered up C3, then dodge cancel it forward ASAP, then use your special ASAP, the special's animation will lock the enemies in place to get hit both by the flailing heads and also by the bullet seeds. This tends to be pretty easy to set up on a group of enemies given that the Strong Attack Manhandla version slows down everything in its area of effect and doesn't go away right away when you start the C3.

- If you have either Hasty Attacks or are in Focus Spirit, then go for the Argorok C5 and miss, you have just enough time to go for it again before the symbol disappears and you won't get the powered up version.

- Focus Spirit mode cannot end while Lana's riding Argorok, so you can time the powered up C5 to squeeze more time out of the mode, allowing you to potentially glide over more magic. It's handy for Rack Up KOs grinding, especially since riding Argorok is already her best way of killing a lot of things very quickly.

Epona:
- Epona's C4-3 (it's hard to describe but Epona hops mostly in place for both C4-1 and C4-2, then does repeated slashes for C4-3) can be mashed for extra hits. Without mashing, Link only does a couple broad swings before the finishing circular swing thing, whereas with mashing he does up to 7 broad swings.

- Fully mashed C4-3, hold Strong Attack to get the immediate charge dash attack, then do Strong Attack four more times seems to break all giant boss WPGs. You could also do C5 but since it moves in a zig zag pattern you risk either missing hits of the C5 or missing with the held Strong Attack afterward. When I tested these options, it was with an Epona with Hasty Attacks, but I believe the first option should work regardless.

Miscellaneous:
- While in Focus Spirit, I had Darunia's Strong Attack fail to break a PC WPG because the final palm strike happened too soon and whiffed. If that happens too often, he might be a candidate for not using Hasty Attacks.

- Tingle's C5 on giant bosses varies wildly in the amount of gauge it breaks based on spacing and on whether you get the rupee bombs version of the move.

- I've had it happen once but been unable to replicate it, but one time I failed to break Manhandla's WPG, it recovered, and for some reason it immediately went right back into it's WPG stun. I wish I knew what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Miscellaneous:
- While in Focus Spirit, I had Darunia's Strong Attack fail to break a PC WPG because the final palm strike happened too soon and whiffed. If that happens too often, he might be a candidate for not using Hasty Attacks.

This shouldn't be too much of an issue since Focus/Hasty Attacks would guarantee C2 connecting, right?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Vanrushal posted:

This shouldn't be too much of an issue since Focus/Hasty Attacks would guarantee C2 connecting, right?

I didn't think to test it and I haven't used Darunia in awhile. I assume it should work fine, but then again hitstun on certain things is a little weird at times regardless of speed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love the characters in this game, but I'm so bummed we didn't get playable Tetra :(

At least Zelda, Shiek, Impa, and Midna all kick serious rear end :unsmith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, about my only major complaint is that there's a huge lack of representation of games that aren't OoT/MM, TP, and SS. Yeah, the Wind Waker is a weapon, but I would have really loved to see a few more nods to Wind Waker or even some of the 2d games.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
In general, most of the characters and weapons in this game fit into the Child timeline (Skyward Sword happening before the split). I assume they decided to stick with that, for the most part.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

victrix posted:

I love the characters in this game, but I'm so bummed we didn't get playable Tetra :(

At least Zelda, Shiek, Impa, and Midna all kick serious rear end :unsmith:

Impa is exceedingly badass in this game.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, about my only major complaint is that there's a huge lack of representation of games that aren't OoT/MM, TP, and SS. Yeah, the Wind Waker is a weapon, but I would have really loved to see a few more nods to Wind Waker or even some of the 2d games.

It's kinda weird that they made Wizzo when Agahnim would have been perfect.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It keeps things open and available for the inevitable sequel, too. Already did most of the OoT/TP/SS rep stuff in this game? Great, let's just put them on the roster to start with, and focus on WW/4S/LttP or whatever!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kurui Reiten posted:

It keeps things open and available for the inevitable sequel, too. Already did most of the OoT/TP/SS rep stuff in this game? Great, let's just put them on the roster to start with, and focus on WW/4S/LttP or whatever!

Oh man, the Four Sword as a weapon for Young Link would be amazing. I need this.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Kurui Reiten posted:

I would kill for an Oracle of ages and and oracle of seasons level.

Edit: also the defend your keeps with you life missions in the master quest can suck the biggest of dicks beat them by cheesing it by parking a player 2 on the gamepad at the farthest keep and switching controllers when poo poo shows up. Take that!

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 20, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
So how do I not suck with the summoning gate? Everything feels slow as hell, Dodong and Manhandla are pretty crappy in their base forms and too slow when powered up, and I can't break weak point gauges in a single combo even on Dinolfos and the like. The special attack is great and Argorok is useful, but everything else seems mediocre to bad. Also, how exactly do you control the powered Argorok? Even when I don't lock on to an enemy, I never seem to be able to aim the fireball correctly.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

kvx687 posted:

So how do I not suck with the summoning gate? Everything feels slow as hell, Dodong and Manhandla are pretty crappy in their base forms and too slow when powered up, and I can't break weak point gauges in a single combo even on Dinolfos and the like. The special attack is great and Argorok is useful, but everything else seems mediocre to bad. Also, how exactly do you control the powered Argorok? Even when I don't lock on to an enemy, I never seem to be able to aim the fireball correctly.

This post I made recently has some Summoning Gate stuff in it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508&pagenumber=156#post441761447

Basically, you're going to be using Strong Attack a lot. Strong Attack is very fast and the initial gate appearance launches enemies into the air. You can time a dodge so that Lana doesn't get knocked on her rear end by whatever she summons, then go for a weak combo to attempt to juggle. This is often capable of breaking captain/PC weak point gauges.

Another thing you can do is ignore weak point gauges entirely. For instance, if you get an enemy trapped in the slowing poison field of a Manhandla Strong Attack summon, then do the powered up C3 Manhandla, dodge forward ASAP after the second Manhandla head appears, then immediately use a special, the whole sequence does a hefty chunk of damage. Riding on Argorok also piles on the damage. You asked about aiming the fireball, but I almost never use it because flying into a captain and juggling them with the stream of fire breath does so much damage and does it very quickly.

As for the other two, Strong Attack Dodongo is sorta okay, but the powered up C2 Dodongo combo isn't really worth much in any situation. Strong Attack Gohma and the powered up C4 Gohma combo are much better projectiles, but you'll have to be sure you have a lot of space before going for the C4 combo since it takes awhile for Lana to go invincible during the Gohma summoning dance. It also takes awhile for her to go invincible during the Manhandla powered up combo, but you can cover that with the slowing poison field of the Strong Attack Manhandla summon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Do all of the non-DLC characters have 8-bit weapons right now? I can't find Midna's or Agitha's in the game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Normal Midna's exists. It's a ring.

Agitha I don't know.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Agitha I don't know.

It's a rupee and picnic basket :iiam:

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 20, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Beating up people with money?

Well, she is meant to be stupidly rich. Not that that means much.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you use it all enemy commanders should be replaced with high moral Tingles.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you use it all enemy commanders should be replaced with high moral Tingles.

Kooloo Limpah!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

jivjov posted:

Not only that, but the wind waker is the trash tier 1 weapon.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

Tetra better have a special where she crashes her entire pirate ship into the enemy, or at least one where she summons her crew in to attack. And one that grabs a dude and sticks him into a cannon.

There's so much you could do with Wind Waker characters. Hell, since this game liked throwing in the occasional odd character choice, throw the King of Hyrule in and see what he could do. Link's Grandma would be the first DLC character revealed. :3:

There's still plenty of wingnuts from other games to use, too. Give Kafei a day to shine. You could bring in Din, Farore, and Nayru from the Oracle games. I'm kind of surprised they didn't show up as costumes here, to be honest. Nayru's got a Harp and Farore totes around a book, so that's Sheik and Lana taken care of. Din has big hair, so just give that one to Twili Midna.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want to play as Ravio, thanks.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

how quick we are to forget about groose

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Well that kind of owned. I just unlocked the Spinner with toon Link, remembered my wife has a Kirby, touched it and immediately unlocked a 308 strength Triforce spinner with a shitload of useful mods :stare:

I'm not that far into adventure mode, so that's by far the most powerful weapon I've seen other than the Master Sword.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

victrix posted:

Well that kind of owned. I just unlocked the Spinner with toon Link, remembered my wife has a Kirby, touched it and immediately unlocked a 308 strength Triforce spinner with a shitload of useful mods :stare:

I'm not that far into adventure mode, so that's by far the most powerful weapon I've seen other than the Master Sword.

Don't worry, you'll soon have so many 5 star level 3 weapons that you'll consider a lot of them trash.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dinolfos Logic: You need six to beat up a little girl.

I finally unlocked Agitha's level 3 weapon, and that fight is crazy. Fortunately, the A rank is very generous with the amount of damage you can take.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Haruharuharuko posted:

Kooloo Limpah!

I'm still kinda amazed no reference to the other Warriors games has shown up as yet.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

This video came up in a thread about Lana's Summoning Gate over on GameFAQs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8fcLei9rYo&t=265s

Basically, with the Gate, an unpowered but mashed C3 (so the bullet seed portion comes out), dodge canceled when the bullet seeds start, then a Strong Attack is enough to break the four normal giant bosses' weak point gauges. What's cool about this is that you can dodge cancel the Strong Attack back away from the boss, so that when their WPG breaks, you're not within the radius to trigger the weak point smash. This allows you to sit just outside the circle and summon Strong Attacks at your leisure until you either get Argorok for a powered C5 or the giant boss is close enough to death that you can just trigger the smash. This seems to be completely reliable, even on Argorok. With good timing I could see it also working on Ganon, but I haven't tried that myself yet.

Edit: In the course of playing the level on the Twilight Map with Gohma and the Imprisoned, I've lucked into the max rupees glitch. I wasn't paying close attention, but I was at somewhere between 1.2 million and 1.4 million, so hooray for an easy 8+ million rupees.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 21, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I do not care for the "don't get hit" Master Quest missions. No sir, not at all.

At least I no longer have to worry much about A-ranks, every character's got a full row of hearts anyway and that's all I really need.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I do not care for the "don't get hit" Master Quest missions. No sir, not at all.

At least I no longer have to worry much about A-ranks, every character's got a full row of hearts anyway and that's all I really need.

Part of me is glad that I am too bad at the base adventure map that it will take me awhile before I get that far.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
looks like the groose dream is dead :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

His Groose is cooked.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Earlier I mentioned I lucked into triggering the max rupees glitch. Continuing from that, somewhere around ten playthroughs of the same level later, it happened again. It triggered a third time the very next time I played the level. Based on my setup and the things I was doing, another poster on GameFAQs also got it to trigger once under the same general conditions.

My first post in the GameFAQs thread about the glitch: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/71255371?page=5

First glitch results screen:

Second glitch in-game image:
Second glitch results screen:

Third glitch miiverse post: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHi0qaGL1g

The #1 factor I'm absolutely certain is important here is breaking a giant boss's weakpoint and then killing it in a way other than a weak point smash. The way we've been doing it is with the Summoning Gate method I mentioned in my last post, but it's possible other characters could trigger it as well. Beyond that, there are a lot of variables (e.g. does it have to be Gohma, is Rupees+ essential, is a locked skill essential, etc.) that will only really be narrowed down once more people successfully trigger the glitch. It'll be nice if we can find a way to nail down a consistent method as opposed to having a laundry list of conditions that together have worked in 4 separate instances.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Lessail posted:

looks like the groose dream is dead :negative:

You could always push your impossible dreams onto there being a second DLC pack/game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Red Minjo posted:

You could always push your impossible dreams onto there being a second DLC pack/game.

I am your uncle, who works at Nintendo, and I can confirm that a sequel is in the works and Groose is the first new character in development.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jesus, Zant's 2nd weapon battle is already an uphill battle. Why is there a loving cucco now? This is terrible and bad.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Red Minjo posted:

Why Does Nintendo Hate Groose

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It's their revenge for Americans hating Tingle.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Groosenate every one of them

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does that rupee glitch give you all those rupees for real? Because if that's an easy way to grind rupees I am all for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jesus, Zant's 2nd weapon battle is already an uphill battle. Why is there a loving cucco now? This is terrible and bad.

Cuccos just take a big dump on my enjoyment every map they're in. Even when they're allied they steal kills >:(

• Locked thread