Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Roughly how much lower should I set my expectations going from Dwarf Longbeards to Orc Boyz? I want a fairly different army to play from my Dwarfs/Chaos Dwarfs, and O&G won out over Dark Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Roughly how much lower should I set my expectations going from Dwarf Longbeards to Orc Boyz? I want a fairly different army to play from my Dwarfs/Chaos Dwarfs, and O&G won out over Dark Elves.

Throw those Orc Boyz immediately in the trash and get Savage Boyz instead. Savage Big'Uns, thanks to their ward save, are actually better than Longbeards in every way, considering they get the same or better saves against st5 or better and have 3 St 5 attacks on the first round of combat with AHW. They also don't break except in situations that the game's probably over anyways since a horde can eat 15-20 elves pretty easily per turn.

edit: If you're going to Orc Boyz though, they're more comparable to Warriors and even then Warriors beat them out pretty easily.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
They don't have to be Boyz, they were just the first core choice that popped into my head.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Not a viking posted:

Depends on the army, but VC can definatly get away and/or improve with 50% lords. One way is to have one caster vamp and having the other one be the general, so you won't crumble if you get a dimensional cascade.

Following up on this, we are starting at 1k for this campaign. Any VC players care to comment on this list?

BattleScribe posted:

LORDS
Vampire Lord, L4 Lore of Vampires
Heavy Armour, Shield, Ogre Blade, Nightshroud
Quickblood, Red Fury
493pts

CORE
5 x Dire Woves w/ Doom Wolf
50pts

5 x Dire Woves w/ Doom Wolf
50pts

25 x Skeletons w/ Full Command
HW & S
155pts

SPECIAL
4 x Crypt Horrors w/ Crypt Haunter
252pts

Spirit Host
45pts

Spirit Host
45pts

Basically only two units that can really hurt anything, but a decent skellie block to house the vamp, and the Hosts and Wolves to stall, block and redirect the enemy. The Vamp Lord should be able to kill anything it might see at 1k points on his own.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

TKIY posted:

Following up on this, we are starting at 1k for this campaign. Any VC players care to comment on this list?

Basically only two units that can really hurt anything, but a decent skellie block to house the vamp, and the Hosts and Wolves to stall, block and redirect the enemy. The Vamp Lord should be able to kill anything it might see at 1k points on his own.
Holy smokes that Vampire is a megafucker, especially for 1k. The entire game is going to swing based on what he does in combat. Any list that brings significant shooting, Death Magic, or anything like that is going to give you some adrenaline while the skeletons march him up.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

I apologize for trundling into the thread to fart out a post like this, but I had a few moments to try and articulate some changes that I am hoping for from the next edition. I'm trying to restrict myself to the stuff that would be addressed by the next basic rulebook and not get into the nitty-gritty of points costs or army books. I also don't have experience with every single army or unit combination, so I'm hoping that people can criticize or poke holes in my arguments based on some aspect I haven't considered.

-Always Strikes First no longer giving re-rolls to-hit. In general consider this passage an argument for a general reduction in the proliferation of re-rolling hits and wounds. It's already a huge tactical bonus to "ignore" initiative. It frequently appears on units that already have high Weaponskill and high Initiative, because GW doesn't understand how to thematically disassociate these concepts. It changes the already favorable 66% chance of hitting into an 89% chance of hitting. This goes even further around-the-bend when you have re-rolls on the to-wound (esp. with great weapons), so Elf Bullshit goes from an 83% chance of wounding to a 98% chance of wounding. The system isn't granular enough for that level of a swing in outcome and it promotes Death Star bullshit.

-Characters can no longer make way until the unit has successfully performed a combat reform. I think there should be a new special rule instead that allows unlimited make-way movements (Swashbuckler, or Flashy Combatant) for some characters, allowing them to dynamically reposition (unless they are in a challenge). I'd consider granting it to Skaven (verminous valor) or in general to finesse character archetypes (assassins, light armor fighters). A generic combat character should need to rally his troops and re-organize to clear a path to his desired target.

-Depleted units should give some % of their Victory Points. Whether that is below 50% gives half, or some other permutation, I am undecided. In general I want less keeping 1 model alive to save 1000s of points from a Death Star, it's just silly. Casual wounds that don't eliminate entire units also indirectly benefits armies with BS-based shooting or stone throwers, which are unlikely to ever kill an entire unit but can easily deplete a unit. I'm a fan of making BS-based shooting more effective without making it cheaper or mechanically changing it, because Fantasy should be about maneuvers and close combat at heart.

All those changes in tandem would do a lot to penalize Death Stars, and Herohammer. I think there should be tactical considerations when it comes to using a combat hero. I'm not a fan of 1 gently caress-off huge horde of unassailable infantry, stuffed with defensive characters that will always make-way to prevent anyone from ever actually striking at the unit. A rear or flank charge typically represents out-maneuvering or capitalizing on an error, and as such should be a huge advantage, now it just results in the character wall rotating and that's it.

-Charging going back to giving units Initiative 10, or allowing great weapons to strike at initiative for the charge. As it stands right now charging only gives +1 combat res and things like the lance/spear strength modifiers. I feel like it should be more decisive, given the risk with failed charges and the "dance of death" that often occurs at max charge range.

-Magic phase changes: Wizards limited to using their level in power dice to cast spells. Eliminate the powered-up versions of almost all spells, adjust casting values downward to compensate for reduction in average roll results (6-dicing still available to Dark Elves). Restrict almost all augment/hex spells to a single unit. Scale the miscast table based on the number of power dice used for a spell (eg. roll 2d6, add the number of power dice used, bias the bad stuff towards a high results where 12-16+ is Dimensional Cascade). Losing your dude to the warp on the top of turn 1 trying to cast 1-dice fireball is dumb. I want a return to double-1s being Miscast table and failed casting, double 6s Irresistible Force without penalty but that's largely personal preference and not driven by balance concerns like the other changes. Magic resistance grants free dispel dice equal to the value of the resistance (half the problem spells from this edition don't even have saves associated with them in the first place).

-Disruption and Steadfast I remain unconvinced about. I feel like a unit that is Disrupted should not be steadfast, but then again I don't think that a truly massive horde unit should break just because 15 swordsmen engaged them in the flank. I wish that we had not completely eliminated the concept of unit strength. I think there should be some inherent advantage to taking gigantic units, but I'm also not sure being immune to combat res is that advantage. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

frest posted:

Holy smokes that Vampire is a megafucker, especially for 1k. The entire game is going to swing based on what he does in combat. Any list that brings significant shooting, Death Magic, or anything like that is going to give you some adrenaline while the skeletons march him up.

Yeah I can't quite decide if it's a bastard move to bring him out or not. It's very 'eggs in one basket' so a cannonball or something could swing the game completely, but against other armies that don't have something like that are just fodder for the bloodsucker. Might be too much, I'll scale back to a L1 and maybe a master Necro with some zombies.

Your other points I generally agree with, charging right now really only matters for mounted lance units. I do like that you can stack that with a flank charger and rack up +3 CR but in a world of Steadfast units, CR stacking is less effective than it should be. Something like Steadfast units losing 1 extra wound per CR they lose by (without saves) could help. They keep their unmodified LD but take a beating in the process.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 18, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah it really can be a one sided list. Granted it was back in 5th but I ran a similar idea, a flying mounted vampire lord, a necro, a wight lord and the rest of the points spent on a single block of about 200 zombies. prior tended to panic and focus on the zombies and missed the assassination run from the vampire. Made half a high elf army run off the table on turn two after killing the general once.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

TKIY posted:

Yeah I can't quite decide if it's a bastard move to bring him out or not. It's very 'eggs in one basket' so a cannonball or something could swing the game completely, but against other armies that don't have something like that are just fodder for the bloodsucker. Might be too much, I'll scale back to a L1 and maybe a master Necro with some zombies.

I don't know that I think you should scale back, at least not before playing at least one game with it. It's going to be a frantic game for both you and your opponent. Your opponent can't really engage with the Vampire because he's a megafucker, but you also can't allow the unit to get chaffed or directed elsewhere because it's everything. Given that at 1k there's usually people building new armies or getting started on the game, that sort of a matchup can be an object lesson in how to handle completely beastly combat characters (for both sides of the table).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A WoC player is going to take your idea and you will fall victim to your own hubris.

It's a bit unsporting to throw a combat lord that could kill like 95 percent of things in the game solo into a 1k point game when some wide-eyed Empire player is going to bring like a War Priest and a BSB. I mean, you can if you'd like, but the whole 'it'll be a learning experience for both you!' thing rings a bit hollow.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 18, 2015

frest
Sep 17, 2004

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

A WoC player is going to take your idea and you will fall victim to your own hubris.

It's a bit unsporting to throw a combat lord that could kill like 95 percent of things in the game solo into a 1k point game when some wide-eyed Empire player is going to bring like a War Priest and a BSB. I mean, you can if you'd like, but the whole 'it'll be a learning experience for both you!' thing rings a bit hollow.

It's my experience that the wide-eyed Empire player in question has a cannon, helblaster, or steam tank at 1k (because 1k of infantry is actually a lot of work, vs assembling 1 box of demigryphs, 1 tank, or 2 artillery).

However most people think about the game a lot more than they play it, so having the vampire hit a unit of Halberdiers like the fist of an angry god will definitely give the Empire player an appreciation for how important it is to chaff, re-direct, and so forth. There are only 6 possible player turns and the Vampire is going to spend at least 2 of them marching.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There are both established and new players in this campaign as well, and three of them are running Chaos Legion or WoC. The other two are running Woodies and HE, so I'm not going to see many weak armies out there.

I'll rework it anyhow, I can always add Fangface the Annihilator later as points progress.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Having a big nasty point sink eat 10 points of slaves a turn for 4 turns does tend to make people rethink that plan. All the better if you are also shooting at him while he does it :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
More wacky rumors! These are actually reasonable tho, compared to the dumb poo poo that's been floating around

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/02/warhammer-fantasy-9th-edition.html

some guy definitely not making all this up posted:

Rule changes have been made to stabilize and streamline some points, particularly at the formation units and their interaction with the characters, from what I was told.

About the armies that follow (“factions” J ) : they won’t be "bundling" of existing armies, but almost all new prospects. These are all new units with an aesthetic different from what we knew and new historic lines, new characters, we could almost consider some of them as new “races”. Nevertheless, each new release will be integrated into one or more pre-existent conventional armies. Some new units, for example, will just belong to “Forces of Order” or “Forces of Destruction”. No stress. You can keep your old collection (all your collection), and enjoy with it.

V9 will not be just one book, but a box with other things such as a volume focused on two types of battles : clashes "lord of battles "in standard format creating links between games, and smaller battles with “pre-organised” armies (that's what you took for a skirmish game I think).

About this “skirmish” game: I’m not completely sure about that : this has taken many different forms over the settings but it seems to be one of the most tested aspects in recent years by GW teams. It is not intended to be the main way to play Battle. Currently, forces will be selected from a list of predefined choices, more restrained that the currents army books, without worrying percentage points, points themselves will not so important anymore: it will be destabilizing for the old players, but the number of miniatures contained in a unit or its point value could be no longer as important as before in this system. Players would have the choice to comply or not the points. A book will summarize the possible choices for all existing armies. It was thought just for fun, and almost all special rules of existing models could be ignored because of it.

About round bases : there would be a misunderstanding at this level too. Some Warhammer miniatures will indeed now sold on round bases, but it’s the consequence of some simplified rules and not a transition to a new system, or 40k-like, or I don’t know what. No link with the new “skirmish game”. The elements attached to units will be on round base (as skaven regimental weapons or dark elves cauldron of blood for example, but also characters according to pictures I’ve seen), are no longer joined the unit but move next to, and may have a round or oval base. But if your old version is not on a round base, you can still play with, no problem.

About “waiting” armies : for the bretonnians, there is a book that will follow this year, but perhaps we can’t call this “army book” because it will be very different from what you had until then. It will be closer from the End Times books recently issued. There will be in it new units, which could join the Forces of Order, and very close from a Bretonnian army, but not only. For the Skavens, the amount of new stuff approaching is just unprecedented (although I have no visibility on dates). It won’t be really “skavens” as we knew them, but a sort of evolution type very nice and inspired. No merger with Chaos for them (anyway, no merger for anyone!). About Beastmen, they don’t have directly the same processing, to the best of my knowledge, but no doubt they will benefit from a wealth of new opportunities for chaos. I had no evidence that it’s matter of squatting them, nor nobody else.

The quantity of new stuff for Battle will be just incredible, if all that is planed comes out. New releases will be essentially new entries, unique monsters, characters, and elite units of 2 to 5 figures. This will change progressively the overall appearance of the armies, with fewer miniatures (but larger). There will always be a place for large infantry units; however I don’t have a precise view of the new rules, that's why I can’t say if it will always be interesting to play big infantry units, or not.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
show me the fantasy marines

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Please let the Brets stay. I hope this blog is lore true than the multiple rumors I've been hearing stating otherwise.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Are they making Skaven the new Space Marines or something?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Business Gorillas posted:

Are they making Skaven the new Space Marines or something?

Thanquol turns out to be the true emperor and Karl Franz is a pretender. All humans were just mutant skaven who rebelled. In the grim darkness of the future, there is only squeeking.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Nash posted:

Thanquol turns out to be the true emperor and Karl Franz is a pretender. All humans were just mutant skaven who rebelled. In the grim darkness of the future, there is only squeeking.

It's always bothered me that you dont have Kevin Nash as your avatar.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
What's Nash's position on bringing back Goldberg, though?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Big Willy Style posted:

It's always bothered me that you dont have Kevin Nash as your avatar.

At one time I ran the gimmick in wrestling threads of falling apart and injuring myself with every post. Much like the real Nash.

Also I need more signatures for the petition.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was watching some Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKXLasBglc

Those horse models look very familiar. I can't imagine why!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was watching some Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKXLasBglc

Those horse models look very familiar. I can't imagine why!

Were you somehow unaware of GW and Milton Bradley making games together? HeroQuest is also set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Were you somehow unaware of GW and Milton Bradley making games together? HeroQuest is also set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe.

Some of the horses look very similar to the 5th ed bret knights, at least I think that is what was pointed out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I knew there were collaborations at some point. One of the Empire horses looks exactly like the horses I have now, is all.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah it's the same model, the original GW plastic horse. Pretty much all the figures were real GW figs or slightly modified recasts that were just made to have less parts or made by recasting metal figures. IIRC all the Empire figs are Perry sculpts as well, and pretty good sources of cheap dudes for Empire.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I still have a bunch. They make alright back rankers for the most part.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How well does the current Knightly Orders box make Knights Panther? Am I going to be trawling ebay for conversion materials?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

How well does the current Knightly Orders box make Knights Panther? Am I going to be trawling ebay for conversion materials?
The Knightly Orders box makes Panther, White Wolf, and Reiksguard excellently with no conversions required. The box comes with a panther-themed sprue, a white wolf sprue, and the generic sprue which is perfect for Reiksguard.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Asked this in the 40k thread too, but what repositories are everyone using for Battlescribe right now? I'm having trouble with randomhit on my phone at the moment...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/

RandomHit hasn't been the primary repo for over a year now, IIRC.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
K, thanks. Must just be my phone or something but it's just not working right.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

frest posted:

The Knightly Orders box makes Panther, White Wolf, and Reiksguard excellently with no conversions required. The box comes with a panther-themed sprue, a white wolf sprue, and the generic sprue which is perfect for Reiksguard.

Unless they've changed things recently, you don't get any White Wolf parts in the box, just Panther and generic/Reiksguard.

I also wouldn't say it makes them excellently, they are a nightmare to rank up without being very careful with assembly.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Finally figured out the Battlescribe thing, it was cached data from the old repos screwing stuff up.

Anyhow, following up on a kinder, gentler 1k VC list without a L4 Blender lord, how does this look? I've never played VC so I just don't want to roll into a campaign with a terrible list and burn out on it:

BattleScribe' posted:

+++ VAMPS (998pts) +++

+ Lords (225pts) +
Master Necromancer (225pts) [Lore of the Vampires, The General of Undeath, Wizard Level 4 (35pts)]
····The General of Undeath, Undead
····Magic Items (25pts) [AB - Book of Arkhan (25pts)]
····Profiles:
········Book of Arkhan: Magic Property:Bound Spell (Power Level 3). This item casts the Vanhel's Danse Macabre spell.|AB p63

+ Heroes (225pts) +
Vampire (225pts) [Heavy Armour (4pts), Red Fury (50pts), Wizard Level 1]
····Red Fury, The Hunger, Undead, Vampiric
····Barded Nightmare (16pts) [Nightmare]
········Swiftstride, Undead
····Magic Items (50pts) [BRB - Enchanted Shield (5pts), BRB - Seed of Rebirth (10pts), BRB - Sword of Might (20pts), BRB - The Other Trickster's Shard (15pts)]

+ Core (250pts) +
Dire Wolves (80pts) [10x Dire Wolf (80pts)]
····Slavering Charge, Swiftstride, Undead, Vanguard (FAQ'ed)

Dire Wolves (80pts) [10x Dire Wolf (80pts)]
····Slavering Charge, Swiftstride, Undead, Vanguard (FAQ'ed)

Zombies (90pts) [30x Zombie (90pts)]
····Always Strikes Last, The Newly Dead, Undead

+ Special (298pts) +
Black Knights (160pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]
····Killing Blow, Undead
····5x Black Knight (130pts) [5x Barding (15pts), 5x Lances (10pts)]

Vargheists (138pts) [3x Vargheist (138pts)]
····Fly, Frenzy, Stomp, Swiftstride, Undead, Vampiric

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Unless they've changed things recently, you don't get any White Wolf parts in the box, just Panther and generic/Reiksguard.

I also wouldn't say it makes them excellently, they are a nightmare to rank up without being very careful with assembly.
I definitely had 2 of the hammer/wolf cloak sprues in my boxes but maybe it's changed in the interim? I never had any real issues ranking them up, but then again I was using the Galeforce magnetized bases and was already cutting em up and positioning them anyway.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
While we're on the topic-ish, is it worth spending magical points allowance increasing a 2+ to a 1+? I'm trying to figure out a Grand Master. I guess a Runefang and a Helm of the Skavenslayer works and gets the 1+, but is it worth it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Rarely worth it unless it's only five points or something. Anything high enough strength to punch through a 2+ isn't really that worse off against a 1+.

Better to put those points towards a ward save usually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All you need is a shield on the GM to get 1+. Full Plate, Mounted, Barding, Shield. Give him the Other Trickster's Shard if no one else in the unit has s Ward Save.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

While we're on the topic-ish, is it worth spending magical points allowance increasing a 2+ to a 1+? I'm trying to figure out a Grand Master. I guess a Runefang and a Helm of the Skavenslayer works and gets the 1+, but is it worth it?

Why would you ever take the Skavenslayer helm when the Dragonhelm exists? If there's one thing I don't want Skaven having against my general it's Hatred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

All you need is a shield on the GM to get 1+. Full Plate, Mounted, Barding, Shield. Give him the Other Trickster's Shard if no one else in the unit has s Ward Save.

I forgot about barding. I guess that solves that, then.

• Locked thread