Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Archenteron posted:

No no, his ghost-tuberculosis was actually a back-up God replacing his lungs

So, he basically just vomited up a god. Makes a change from things being pulled from people's asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Thoren posted:

Next chapter: It turns out other characters of the other hand and feet of the soul king. This was what made them special war powers. Ichigo has the left foot and Aizen the right. They may or may not be brothers.

I want this to be true. But I don't want Kubo to be the one to make this happen. I'm torn.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
So did Ramen Aizen actually know Ukitake was hiding Nyarlathotep, or was that all still just bullshit to distract Ichigo?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dux Supremus posted:

So did Ramen Aizen actually know Ukitake was hiding Nyarlathotep, or was that all still just bullshit to distract Ichigo?

Ramen Aizen just knew that the substitute soul reaper badge Ukitake made was weakening Ichigo. He didn't say or know anything about him being the vessel of the Godhand.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
I swore he implied he was secretly the Hiddener Worser Bad Guy but maybe I'm just misremembering.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dux Supremus posted:

Tite came up with this no more than four to six weeks ago, so no, character years ago did not know about trait introduced recently.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dux Supremus posted:

I swore he implied he was secretly the Hiddener Worser Bad Guy but maybe I'm just misremembering.

I wasn't paying too much attention at the time but I thought it was more suggesting that the SS didn't trust Ichigo and were maybe the bad guys all along. Which was a fair point because Yamamoto was probably just as bad as many of the villains.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This manga is a loving mess

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Sure is, but right now it's a mess in the best of ways. :allears:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Amorphous Blob posted:

Man I've been waiting forever for Ukitake to do something and now he's Exodia's right arm? Plus Aizen is coming back? Pretty good chapter this week.

Yeah, but till next weeks.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Advice posted:

This is literally and figuratively Deus Ex Machina, Ukitake dropping a super secret god out of nowhere to solve all their problems but you know what? This was the most interesting chapter of Bleach in a long time.

To be fair, it isn't out of nowhere. The Kamikake was brought up months ago.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Considering how long it takes for the average shounen to get anywhere, 'months ago' is pretty much the same as 'just thought it up'.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Zogundar posted:

To be fair, it isn't out of nowhere. The Kamikake was brought up months ago.

It was brought up months ago? What issue was that?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Captain_duck posted:

Apparently 605.

Batmasterson posted:

It was chapter 605, and Ukitake references the Kamikake on page 3 or 4. Way back in 547 on page 7 we saw him praying to a big flower.

holebrothers

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Deus ex machina asspull or not, that was the best chapter of Bleach in years, and if you think differently, you are wrong.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like this thing because it reminds me of some Kinshin/madness poo poo from soul eater which is also good.

skyraiser9
May 4, 2010
Step 1: Aizen
Step 2: Stab Momo
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit!!!

Am I doing it right?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Is it too obvious or would it make sense that Shunsui is somehow the left hand of the soul king? Him and Ukitake are long-time best buds and are the only ones with twin zanpakutos, and the first two captains ever of the 13 squads.
Also, if Shunsui truly is wearing the eyepatch again, I hope its some kind of insurance policy that has some kinda eyehax protection against Aizen's complete hypnosis ability, assuming he still has it/can use it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

skyraiser9 posted:

Step 1: Aizen
Step 2: Stab Momo
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit!!!

Am I doing it right?

No.

Stabbing Momo is step three. Step two is always thinking you're stabbing someone else.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

Deus ex machina asspull or not, that was the best chapter of Bleach in years, and if you think differently, you are wrong.
There's a lot of better recent chapters so no, you are the one who is wrong. The monk chapters, the mayuri zombie stuff, zero squad in general, rose getting jobbed and captain dog were all chapters I liked way more. Rose getting killed by straight up explaining his attack then explaining how the illusion actually works or zero squad dude actually killing people with a sword then they get back up because of an asspull are so quincy-tensially Bleach to me.

Or the straight up cannibal character shaking her fist at the sky 'Is that all we were to you, a meal?' as she wipes bits of the last Quincy she ate off her cheek.

Still a decent ridiculous Bleach chapter though. This Bleach arc has actually had a lot of really good moments, now that I think back on it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Spiderdrake posted:

This Bleach arc has actually had a lot of really good moments, now that I think back on it.

I'd hesitate to call blatant Kubo ridiculousness "really good". Like, I enjoy it's insanity, but calling it "good" in any real fashion just feels wrong to me.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Or the straight up cannibal character shaking her fist at the sky 'Is that all we were to you, a meal?' as she wipes bits of the last Quincy she ate off her cheek.

:lol: I didn't think of it this way that's a funny way to put it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Prison Warden posted:

I'd hesitate to call blatant Kubo ridiculousness "really good". Like, I enjoy it's insanity, but calling it "good" in any real fashion just feels wrong to me.
It really does make you wonder if Tite figured out how to be ironic somewhere between the fullbringer and quincy arc (or just stopped giving a poo poo and decided to put some parody/cracks at manga tropes in general in) but when I say good moments I mean very directly good moments. As a story this arc has been stupid, poorly paced, the narrative is terrible meandering nonsense and the characterization is completely willy-nilly. There's no sense of scale, or tension, or dramatic stakes in any of the fight scenes, it is basically all Fairy Tail level. But individual chapters are good. And I generally find when Tite wants to nail a page, the art is really good.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Spiderdrake posted:

It really does make you wonder if Tite figured out how to be ironic somewhere between the fullbringer and quincy arc (or just stopped giving a poo poo and decided to put some parody/cracks at manga tropes in general in) but when I say good moments I mean very directly good moments. As a story this arc has been stupid, poorly paced, the narrative is terrible meandering nonsense and the characterization is completely willy-nilly. There's no sense of scale, or tension, or dramatic stakes in any of the fight scenes, it is basically all Fairy Tail level. But individual chapters are good. And I generally find when Tite wants to nail a page, the art is really good.

I find Bleach infinitely more enjoyable because it has these shining little moments that sort of buoy it up, or make it so mental you enjoy it ironically, whereas Fairy Tail is just kind of... blah. It doesn't hit the same lows, which is kind of worse.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Byakuya finally acting like a real big brother to Rukia was a legitimately good moment.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Personally I will forever remember this arc for having Ichigo race back down to Soul Society... then race back up to the Spirit King's place.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally I will forever remember this arc for having Ichigo race back down to Soul Society... then race back up to the Spirit King's place.

"Goku, now you have arrived in time to beat up Nappa, I have bad news, Vegeta has made his way to King Kai's planet!"
"What the gently caress?!"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Prison Warden posted:

"Goku, now you have arrived in time to beat up Nappa, I have bad news, Vegeta has made his way to King Kai's planet!"
"What the gently caress?!"

At least then he could just use instant transmission (or did he learn that on his way to Namik?). This is more like the final act though so it would be like if Babidi had decided to just say gently caress it buu needs to feed on another planet first, Goku I know you just came back from being dead but they are like 2000 lightyears away here go fly in this spaceship, don't worry we have a 2nd one and will be right behind you.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pixaal posted:

At least then he could just use instant transmission (or did he learn that on his way to Namik?).

You can't seriously not know this

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you're just looking for moments than this arc was probably pretty okay but as part of a continuous story I think it is pretty bad because a lot of it was completely pointless and thus impossible for me to care about or get invested in. But even so, some of those moments were good enough for me to enjoy even despite that. As Nodt and Mask were legitimately fun fights and probably the best part of the arc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It's even funnier because he runs down a bajillion flights of stairs, only to find out there was an elevator all along.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Captain_duck posted:

It was 605, with this little thing:

Kubo, for better or for worse, leaves enough dangling plot threads that basically anything can be linked back to :airquote:foreshadowing:airquote:.

Edit: phone posting, sorry if this wrecked tables.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Okay but, in Kubo's defense, how many dangling plot threads that we thought would just never be resolved have been solved?

-Ukitake's Ghost Tuberculosis is a Dark God
-Komamura is a dog man because he's from a clan of dog men.
-Mayuri found dead arrancar in Szayelaporro's lab
-Aizen was about to say, "a shinigami and a quincy"

All I think we've got left is Kyouraku's bankai, what Aizen planned to do once he got into the Soul Palace to "take the throne", Hisagi's bankai, anything else?

Note: I'm giving Kubo a pass on any bankai he didn't specifically mention like Kyouraku and Hisagi's since while technically all the captains should have bankai and there are a few more we haven't seen, it's entirely possible they're just not up to the captain's fighting style or are just kinda useless for the plot we have left.

Shinji's, for example, might be totally loving useless considering his lovely shikai. Some people get giant energy blasts, some get to shoot freezing ice out, Aizen got HIS, Shinji gets to fart out a little gas, and then I guess if you breath the gas you get disoriented.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Advice posted:

Okay but, in Kubo's defense, how many dangling plot threads that we thought would just never be resolved have been solved?

All I think we've got left is Kyouraku's bankai, what Aizen planned to do once he got into the Soul Palace to "take the throne", Hisagi's bankai, anything else?

Note: I'm giving Kubo a pass on any bankai he didn't specifically mention like Kyouraku and Hisagi's since while technically all the captains should have bankai and there are a few more we haven't seen, it's entirely possible they're just not up to the captain's fighting style or are just kinda useless for the plot we have left.

Shinji's, for example, might be totally loving useless considering his lovely shikai. Some people get giant energy blasts, some get to shoot freezing ice out, Aizen got HIS, Shinji gets to fart out a little gas, and then I guess if you breath the gas you get disoriented.

Whatever they had Karin doing. How Ginjo lost his powers.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is Yachiru actually Kenpachi's bankai?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Say Nothing posted:

Is Yachiru actually Kenpachi's bankai?

Wouldn't be the first time Bleach pulled that. Remember Arrancar Numero Uno?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Advice posted:

They addressed the lack of revealed Bankai by stating earlier in the arc that captains are reluctant to use them due to the possibility of getting them broken.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SchrodingersCat posted:

They addressed the lack of revealed Bankai by stating earlier in the arc that captains are reluctant to use them due to the possibility of getting them broken.

I liked that explanation since it gives a good reason why they don't go all bankai all the time: on the off chance that the thing damages your zanpaktu in its bankai state, it will never properly heal.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, that makes tons of sense in life or death situations, or explain why characters who have shown their bankai use them repeatedly in far less important situations.

There's a whole scene where Ikkaku was supposed to use his bankai and is chastised by his former comrade for not doing so. The retcon entirely contradicts that - his bankai is busted and useless garbage, how is he 'holding back'? And it's one of three explanations, meaning Kubo was just flinging poo poo at the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, that makes tons of sense in life or death situations, or explain why characters who have shown their bankai use them repeatedly in far less important situations.

There's a whole scene where Ikkaku was supposed to use his bankai and is chastised by his former comrade for not doing so. The retcon entirely contradicts that - his bankai is busted and useless garbage, how is he 'holding back'? And it's one of three explanations, meaning Kubo was just flinging poo poo at the wall.

Hmm? ikkaku isn't even supposed to ha e a bankai and their squad's thing is to show how powerful they are without using anything because their captain didn't have shikai or bankai.

• Locked thread