Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They're really phoning it in with the eccentricity in the cast now. Deborah's vulgarity sprinkled throughout her rant was surprisingly amusing. It made it feel more I don't know "authentic." I agree with the sentiment that David is too hung up on D first names, even if its name like that it could be someone's last name. I noticed right away in the scar hurting scene Derek and Antonio getting up from their seats. The attentiveness was wasted though since SGF had to pass them to save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I love that even though I know it's a SWERY game, his brand of weirdness still catches me off-guard. Rob Newman said once that where Dali's surrealism failed to accurately portray the dreamlike was in the lack of the mundane and familiar mixed in with the absurd, and I really feel that SWERY hits that balance perfectly in D4 - at least so far.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The surgeon from nowhere just completely managed to catch me off-guard.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I stopped eating my sandwich for about a minute there after the fashion guy made his appearance. My hand just sort of froze midway between the plate and my mouth.

A detail I liked about that scene was how all the passengers in the surrounding seats had turned to stare at the guy as he went on about his mannequin partner.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

TheTatteredKing posted:

They're really phoning it in with the eccentricity in the cast now. Deborah's vulgarity sprinkled throughout her rant was surprisingly amusing. It made it feel more I don't know "authentic."

I'm not sure you meant phoning it in, that implies that it's lazy.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jalathas posted:

Yeah, I feel that's definitely not the case with D4. Despite some similarities to the cast of Deadly Premonition, D4 has managed to give all of its characters very distinct personalities.

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

"I've got the good stuff for you this time."

I wonder if David and Teddy were maybe crooked cops or at least working undercover at some point. Olivia seems to think it's a phrase specifically used by drug dealers, and David calls it an "old habit".

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
So did Phillip meet David on a dive further back in time, and attempt to kill him? Because he seems to suggest that, and is awfully unfazed at David appearing on the plane. Maybe Phillip knows about The Red World? Or something else supernatural that let's David time travel.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe David does die or is close to it later in his time and earlier in theirs?

So far the abundance of D-names is really taking away from the name game they had going in DP. Anna, Becky, Carol, Diane - the entire town was like an ABC of odd people.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

And More posted:

I wonder if David and Teddy were maybe crooked cops or at least working undercover at some point. Olivia seems to think it's a phrase specifically used by drug dealers, and David calls it an "old habit".

Both David and Kaysen were Vice cops before David went crazy and Kaysen went homicide. It's very, very likely.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
He mentioned he was a former Narcotics agent so yeah, he probably did do some undercover stings as a part of his job.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 15, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
You know, before this episode, I wasn't fully feeling it for D4. Sure, sudden catgirl was a surprise, but it wasn't really all that surreal. You had the meal cases with Kaysen which were nice like the Thomas lunches, but we didn't have the plot going on very strongly so it was a pause with nothing to pause between. But now.... oh my goodness, fashion designer, Phil, random doctor out of goddamn nowhere. Yes. This is the stuff, I cannot wait for next episode.

So the doctor is likely the guy that Deborah was talking about, though I don't know why he's acting like he still has his meal in front of him when he doesn't. Probably to be more quirky. Phil definitely seems suspicious- someone earlier mentioned that he looked about ready to haul back and punch Deborah before taking a puff from his inhaler, that's definitely something... but as of yet I'm not sure what else there is to go on. Other than as mentioned, Antonio getting up as David's wound hurts, but it could be a coincidence.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jalathas posted:

Maybe. But the two goofball stereotype characters being introduced rapid fire, one with no yet apparent reason for being introduced, has left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'll feel better about it when we see more of the designer, Deb has some nice touches. But the intriguing mood of the bizarre and surreal elements was spoiled for me. Even with the craziness of Amanda the catgirl there's still intrigue. Is she David's cat? Why is she a woman now then? Is she diving with him in cat form with the branch shop thing?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

TheTatteredKing posted:

Maybe. But the two goofball stereotype characters being introduced rapid fire, one with no yet apparent reason for being introduced, has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel like that's a necessary evil of the setting. Instead of the rambling rural town of Greenvale, D4 takes place in a series of enclosed spaces (the prologue notwithstanding). You're suddenly dropped into a plane mid-flight; of course you're going to see most of the passengers as soon as you look into the cabin, and of course the oddballs are going to make themselves conspicuous right away.

Plus, for all intents and purposes, you're on rails. DP gave you the option of driving around and picking up sidequests all over the place in your own time. If you stuck to the main plot, you would meet most of the townsfolk (and all of the really peculiar ones) all at once at the town hall meeting, and it would feel rushed. If D4 was an open-world game, it could introduce characters at a more leisurely pace, but that would change the very nature of the story and the game engine. It's a trade-off.

I've only been on a few planes in my life, but I was surprised to see so many empty seats. See, if Duncan can afford a second plane ticket just for Sukey (she's too big for carry-on), he can probably afford some more comfortable means of transportation. I'm thinking he only flies commercial because he likes the attention from all the other passengers-- but this plane is less than half-full.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Is she David's cat? Why is she a woman now then? Is she diving with him in cat form with the branch shop thing?

I think the whole branch shop thing is a concession of gameplay and shouldn't be taken into mind when thinking about the story, like the RE4 merchant being everywhere.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I guess you're right RoeCocoa. Though I wonder why Duncan is introduced early. He mentions "flying coach" so he shouldn't be in the business class section. He isn't even seen in the seats while David mills about. Maybe the phrase was just used incorrectly and we'll see him in the next section.

Phillip seems like a fun character. Him taking a hit when Deb is at her worse is interesting in light that he takes a hit as soon as he sees David.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the whole branch shop thing is a concession of gameplay and shouldn't be taken into mind when thinking about the story, like the RE4 merchant being everywhere.

Or maybe the RE4 merchant really is just everywhere and this is a world where a cat is also a woman who runs a time-diving store franchise, no biggie.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
The doctor reminds me of the giant from Twin Peaks. I wonder if he will offer any tips to finding D.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bemis posted:

The doctor reminds me of the giant from Twin Peaks. I wonder if he will offer any tips to finding D.
There are some cookies in the smiling bag.
The owls are not mammals.
Without chemicals he finds it difficult to wash his dishes.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
It doesn't matter how many times I see the doctor, he just unsettles me a bit. Like he's this weird combination of being the most blatantly creepy thing ever and yet it also comes across as a bit understated. Maybe I'm just a dumbass, but man.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What I would loving give for this to be a JoJo tie-in game out of nowhere.

It has been my longstanding hope that a possible sequel to Deadly Premonition would entail Grandpa York getting his grandson out of jail and then reenacting Jojo Part 3.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Or maybe the RE4 merchant really is just everywhere and this is a world where a cat is also a woman who runs a time-diving store franchise, no biggie.

That cat isn't Amanda. There'd be no point in opening branch outlets if you operated them all yourself. Clearly she has an army of errand-running cats instead.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That cat isn't Amanda. There'd be no point in opening branch outlets if you operated them all yourself. Clearly she has an army of errand-running cats instead.

Errand-running, time-traveling cats, no less.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bendigeidfran posted:

So did Phillip meet David on a dive further back in time, and attempt to kill him? Because he seems to suggest that, and is awfully unfazed at David appearing on the plane. Maybe Phillip knows about The Red World? Or something else supernatural that let's David time travel.

David has a hunch that he might actually be able to change the past by diving, but one of the mysteries at the moment is whether the people who recognise him on the plane do so because they met him earlier on a dive back to an earlier point in time, or because they have met him in real life before, and he simply doesn't remember them because of the amnesia.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Bendigeidfran posted:

I wonder if SWERY sent a team out to Boston to research details for the game like he did with DP. He's only needed to model one apartment so far but it's a really good portrait of an American apartment.

I know this is from way back, but Swery came to Boston in 2011, visited a lot of the major tourist/historical spots.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Errand-running, time-traveling cats, no less.

Ah, so that's where Crono's cats went when they jumped in the time portal at the end of that game!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

RoeCocoa posted:

I've only been on a few planes in my life, but I was surprised to see so many empty seats. See, if Duncan can afford a second plane ticket just for Sukey (she's too big for carry-on), he can probably afford some more comfortable means of transportation. I'm thinking he only flies commercial because he likes the attention from all the other passengers-- but this plane is less than half-full.

I've been on quite a few and it happens. Especially if you, like me, is fine with travelling at odd times in low season in return for a cheap flight. 04.00 between Göteborg, Sweden and ...Some small airport in Germany I can't remember the name of, (it was a layover,) is not a flight a lot of people will book.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is the flight stewart Albert Wesker?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

WaltherFeng posted:

He doesn't have bitching sunglasses but inhaling some mysterious substance to enhance body strength seems completely in character for him. He's on an airplane too, should we be worried about him starting to talk about "complete global saturation" now?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WaltherFeng posted:

Looks more like a buffer Alfred Ashford.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lareine posted:

He doesn't have bitching sunglasses but inhaling some mysterious substance to enhance body strength seems completely in character for him. He's on an airplane too, should we be worried about him starting to talk about "complete global saturation" now?

Since he's also voiced by the Ghost units from StarCraft II I wouldn't be surprised if he started throwing (nuclear) missiles with his bare hands.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
For anyone with fond memories of sgf's Illbleed LP, or OatmealRaisin and Panzer Skank's Blue Stinger LP, Gamasutra has a wonderful profile of Shinya Nishigaki, the sadly departed director of both games.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Man Dancer posted:

For anyone with fond memories of sgf's Illbleed LP, or OatmealRaisin and Panzer Skank's Blue Stinger LP, Gamasutra has a wonderful profile of Shinya Nishigaki, the sadly departed director of both games.

You don't have a long life expectancy if SGF LPs your games, RIP Swery65.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

You don't have a long life expectancy if SGF LPs your games, RIP Swery65.
Considering Shinya Nishigaki died before the Illbleed lp, that's some powerful mojo.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Download

Scrapbooks
05 - Disaster for the Stanley Cup, Part 1
06 - Disaster for the Stanley Cup, Part 2
07 - Designer Interview: Cutting Edge and Individualistic Designers Duncan & Sukey
14 - Rotoscoping is Still Popular!
15 - Cats Blend into Society

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
The way David says 'avant garde' is killing me.

Edit: Just noticed he has a doll of the giant doctor in his room on the way into the dirty bathroom.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
God drat, the fight with Zapatero is so goddamn hype, with some Dropkick Murphy's sounding poo poo blasting in the background, all beating the poo poo out of him with a tray table.

I wanna run out into the street and bench press a car, I'm so hype!

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
First time I watched that fight, I immediately bought the soundtrack.

Song's called "Drank Dead DOM Die" btw

Rapid 99 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 20, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kojiro posted:

The way David says 'avant garde' is killing me.

It's definitely not the best word for a Boston accent

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The game even refers to the doctor as "the mysterious giant." Oh Swery, thanks for giving me a Twin Peaks fix.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The fact that the "player" straight up asks a lovably quirky creative designer if he uses drugs to come up with his crazy stuff in an SWERY65 game of all places is probably my favorite joke Swery has made so far.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

smidgeonnn posted:

First time I watched that fight, I immediately bought the soundtrack.

Song's called "Drank Dead DOM Die" btw

I'd say the song sounds too straightforward, but then I remember...

• Locked thread