Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
im socially liberal and fiscally conservative which correspond well w me being socially popular and fiscally successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Fiscally conservative?

You asked for a pay cut at work then spent double your annual salary on a wild goose chase in the middle east?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

TEAYCHES posted:

The best option is to not vote, in my opinion. Watch the elections with an amused detachment.

If you're really in a state where your vote might decide Democrat vs. Republican, get really hammered and vote for the Democrat after looking at the black child poverty graph and cause a massive scene at your local library. If you want to just vote for a goof or in an election where it's not close, vote for whatever 3rd party even if they are racist or libertarian, just to throw off statistical analysis.

I'm in California now. I can state my opinion loudly, get hosed up and then vomit everywhere. That counts as voting, right?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So we've already moved on from schadenfreude, to bleak hopeless cynicim and depression, and now its a witchhunt against anyone not sufficiiently leftist.

And we're a year and a loving half from the election. Can Ted Cruz please do something stupid so we can stop this dismal loving dick measuring pity party?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Im pulling for a Clinton/Castro ticket just so we can see the right at maximum frothiness.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bird cooch posted:

Im pulling for a Clinton/Castro ticket just so we can see the right at maximum frothiness.

Right, because they weren't at maximum frothiness for eight years with a black man in the White House.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

bird cooch posted:

for max froth, you need Castro/Castro, or Castro/Gabbard.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TEAYCHES posted:

thats a really loving long post to explain how you are an authoritarian imperial shithead. but its really, for real cool, to see someone who believes in literally nothing and embrace the surveillance state and imperialism with so many weak caveats to liberalism

the united states is indeed unlucky in its imperial superpower status, and what a burden we hold. the system is worth maintaining, however, surely?

we tortured some folks

We must not have read the same post.

What's the point of futile and unrealistic idealism? We can't make fantasies real just by believing in them strongly enough.

There is a difference between believing in pragmatism, in finding the best outcomes, in not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good and in believing in "literally nothing."

He's absolutely right about privacy. He's got a healthy and realistic attitude toward it and people who don't will need to have their attitudes evolve or else be needlessly unhappy. Technology has changed the world in a lot of ways, and one of the things it has altered is what privacy means.

We are unlucky as a superpower because it gives us duties that other countries don't have to shoulder. It is a burden worth bearing though, because if we weren't the top of the heap, someone else would be. Every mountain has a highest point. It has to be us, that's the best outcome for us. Since its us, we have the duty to others to use our power to make things better elsewhere. We also have a duty to ourselves to use our power to make things better for ourselves. Just like how it isn't wrong for a parent to favor his own child's welfare over that of a stranger, or a friend for a friend's, it isn't wrong for us to prioritize our own country's interests above those of others. Also, as long as we believe it would be better for the world if we were the superpower than if another country was, securing that role for ourselves is a benefit to others.

And "drone strikes" are probably the moral means yet invented to wage war. They are as precise as possible, and put the fewest lives at risk. The alternative to using the most precise weapons is to use less precise ones, and more of them. I find it hard to understand how that would be a better outcome for anyone except companies that manufacture bombs.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 20, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Wrap it up, Clintonailures.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Right, because they weren't at maximum frothiness for eight years with a black man in the White House.

Barack Hussein Obama. It's never getting better than that.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

What you advocate is literally "well everyone else is doing it" - and it is the justification of the school yard bully, it is the justification of the dictator, the justification of the authoritarian.

Except this is the real world and in the real world power vacuums are filled. The US sucks. The other countries that would take our place are a lot worse. This is really obvious for anyone who isn't hopelessly idealistic.

hakimashou posted:

We must not have read the same post.

What's the point of futile and unrealistic idealism? We can't make fantasies real just by believing in them strongly enough.

There is a difference between believing in pragmatism, in finding the best outcomes, in not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good and in believing in "literally nothing."

He's absolutely right about privacy. He's got a healthy and realistic attitude toward it and people who don't will need to have their attitudes evolve or else be needlessly unhappy. Technology has changed the world in a lot of ways, and one of the things it has altered is what privacy means.

We are unlucky as a superpower because it gives us duties that other countries don't have to shoulder. It is a burden worth bearing though, because if we weren't the top of the heap, someone else would be. Every mountain has a highest point. It has to be us, that's the best outcome for us. Since its us, we have the duty to others to use our power to make things better elsewhere. We also have a duty to ourselves to use our power to make things better for ourselves. Just like how it isn't wrong for a parent to favor his own child's welfare over that of a stranger, or a friend for a friend's, it isn't wrong for us to prioritize our own country's interests above those of others. Also, as long as we believe it would be better for the world if we were the superpower than if another country was, securing that role for ourselves is a benefit to others.

And "drone strikes" are probably the moral means yet invented to wage war. They are as precise as possible, and put the fewest lives at risk. The alternative to using the most precise weapons is to use less precise ones, and more of them. I find it hard to understand how that would be a better outcome for anyone except companies that manufacture bombs.

And then these same people beg the US to intervene all over the world. Who exactly do they think would be stopping Russia if not for US hegemony around the world? They talk about how much they hate US imperialism and then beg the US to save Syria, Kurdistan, Ukraine, and so on. Even Libya would have been completely impossible without the US, something that had overwhelming approval here.

International politics is no more comparable to a playground than illegal immigration is to someone breaking into your house. Which is why the simplistic analogies people make here utterly fail and their ideas have literally no traction with anyone of influence.

icantfindaname posted:

no seriously, you're a sociopath. seek mental help, and stay away from politics

Yet you are going to vote for people with the exact same views, hope this helps.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Cliff Racer posted:

But thats the whole thing, do the things the government does or wants to do benefit us enough to make up for their costs? Often times the answer is no.

Wheeee posted:

lol

You're effort trolling, a sociopath, or a borderline literal retard. Which is it?

I dunnno Wheeeee, the idea that the US does more bad than good seems to be the overwhelming opinion here, maybe you should talk it out and get your views straight. Seems a lot want to have the US be this extremely powerful country that never exerts its influence or at least only does so in the most ideal way possible; such a country has never existed and I can't imagine that is changing anytime soon.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

PupsOfWar posted:

for max froth, you need Castro/Castro, or Castro/Gabbard.

Ellison/Gabbard!

Because if you're running a Hindu, run an overt Muslim, too.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Aliquid posted:

imagine four world powers on the edge of a cliff. realpolitik works the same way

... Surprisingly accurate.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Fulchrum posted:

So we've already moved on from schadenfreude, to bleak hopeless cynicim and depression, and now its a witchhunt against anyone not sufficiiently leftist.

What the gently caress is it with you people and thinking that 1-2 people is OVERWHELMING CONSENSUS on a topic. Oh no, TEAYCHES posted like 5 times in a row that means that its a liberal witchhunt!!!

Stop loving acting like a couple people posting means everyone is out to overwhelm your opinions on things. It's loving childish and boring.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

bird cooch posted:

Cliff Racer was asked what his political leanings were. He answered.
A follow up question was asked. Cliff Racer responded to that series of questions as well, at length.

I dont agree with all of his positions, but he is the only person not being a dick. Asking someones opinion and then attacking them on a topic completely unrelated to the tread is pretty LF.

All that said, Cliff Racer seems to hold the same positions as a great many of the democratic voting base, If not further to the left.

Well calling someone a shithead is easier than actually debating them, and simply not posting isn't an option....

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
De-politicize yourself and face to happiness. :)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

gnarlyhotep posted:

De-politicize yourself and face to happiness. :)
Ignorance is bliss, and I don't deserve to be happy.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
*sputters insanely*

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

fanged wang posted:

*sputters insanely*

That's the spirit!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The documentary is titled "Light Wins: How To Overcome The Criminalization Of Christianity,"

Wow. That's pretty rich considering that in some states it's still illegal to be gay, get your dick sucked or butt-gently caress, but last time I checked you can be a Christian anywhere you want to. The level of persecution complex these people seem to possess appears to be bottomless (heh).

I drive around on Sunday mornings and we have cops stopping and directing traffic just to conveniently let people out of church, stopping my atheist rear end as I'm on my way to the grocery store or some poo poo. How persecuted Christians are, those poor bastards. It's not like we print "God" on our loving money, swear people in on a Bible and never elect atheists to office or anything. These poor, powerless persecuted people.

Won't someone do something?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I drive around on Sunday mornings and we have cops stopping and directing traffic just to conveniently let people out of church, stopping my atheist rear end as I'm on my way to the grocery store or some poo poo.

You ever see a ton of elderly people and soccer moms/dads trying to exit a parking lot at the same time without direction? Those cops are probably doing you a favor. Your overall point stands, of course.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
lmao sodomy hasn't been illegal since lawrence v texas get your fax strait libtard

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

pff! nvm

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Conservatives crying LF when their bullshit gets pushed in, classic.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

BHO is a hard act to follow to be sure, but who can you put up realistically to make the right continue to alienate major portions of the population? Backing up a black man with a muslim name with an old crone and a messican is a pretty strong play. My Soros Bux are on Hilldog/Fidel.

Nonsense posted:

Conservatives crying LF when their bullshit gets pushed in, classic.

Who is a conservative? Im a Warren/Sanders man myself, but that's not in the realm of possibility. Calling anyone a conservative on this forum is pretty laughable outside of artzy and a few obvious trolls and librarians who make drive- bys.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bird cooch posted:

librarians who make drive- bys.

I had one fire off a few rounds of Joseph Conrad at me once, it was a close call

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mlmp08 posted:

You ever see a ton of elderly people and soccer moms/dads trying to exit a parking lot at the same time without direction? Those cops are probably doing you a favor. Your overall point stands, of course.

I do. Same way I see cops directing traffic on the way out of a sporting event or a concert, but none of those people leaving the Eagles concert or the Steelers game are hollering about being persecuted Christians, tyranny and big government on their way out . Maybe they are, but that just proves my point. Those cops are doing me a favor. But I'm not the person bitching about "my tax dollerz!" going towards people who really need help and public infrastructure and safety.

I guess my point is that that Christians aren't a persecuted minority in need of government protection, their religion is in no way illegal and they should shut the gently caress up.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

bird cooch posted:

BHO is a hard act to follow to be sure, but who can you put up realistically to make the right continue to alienate major portions of the population? Backing up a black man with a muslim name with an old crone and a messican is a pretty strong play. My Soros Bux are on Hilldog/Fidel.

whose racist agin messicans who ain't racist agin blacks?

whose racist agin blacks who ain't racist agin messicans?

We gotta optimize for racist demographics if we're gonna pull this off

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

gnarlyhotep posted:

I had one fire off a few rounds of Joseph Conrad at me once, it was a close call

cheerleading this post

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Who is a conservative? Im a Warren/Sanders man myself, but that's not in the realm of possibility. Calling anyone a conservative on this forum is pretty laughable outside of artzy and a few obvious trolls and librarians who make drive- bys.

Those drive by librarians piss me off too, helping me find reference materials n' poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
BAP BAP BAP POW

Turn yo front porch into a smokin pile of archived Highlights magazine issues bitch

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

The Bush family.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

fanged wang posted:

lmao sodomy hasn't been illegal since lawrence v texas get your fax strait libtard

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/20/louisiana_police_apologizes_for_unconstitutional_anti_sodomy_crackdown/

Doesn't mean they won't bust you for it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Chadderbox posted:

Those drive by librarians piss me off too, helping me find reference materials n' poo poo.

I wish the world had more drive-by librarians and less libertarians, and autocorrect agrees with me.

PupsOfWar posted:

whose racist agin messicans who ain't racist agin blacks?

We gotta optimize for racist demographics if we're gonna pull this off

We already have a fire going in the republican house, tossing more gas on it cant hurt.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 20, 2015

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Nice post of a screenshot of a tweet

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bpower posted:

Barack Hussein Obama. It's never getting better than that.

Bill Clinton is going to be back putting his feet up on all the White House furniture while his murderous, conspiracy creating wife is getting all uppity in the Oval Office. The only way B. HUSSEIN Obama could have hoped to be scarier than that is if Michelle was a pretty white woman.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure just the fact that they are denied the white house again is gonna make them freak out more even if the president were a straight white christian male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fulchrum posted:

I'm pretty sure just the fact that they are denied the white house again is gonna make them freak out more even if the president were a straight white christian male.
I hope we get to the point where they try to use that clause in the constitution that the states are guaranteed a republican form of government to overturn election results that put a D on top.

(The Roberts court might entertain it. It depends on Kennedy, of course.)

• Locked thread