Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

track day bro! posted:

Vettel is better than Schumacer, hes cooler and also more good. Also he didnt win with a cheaty car unlike ms.

I love Vettel as much as the next cool guy does but he's not better than MS. Almost as good as, but not better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Brainwrong posted:

I love Vettel as much as the next cool guy does but he's not better than MS. Almost as good as, but not better

Vettel has one major advantage over MS and its that hes able to be conscious.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

AgentJotun posted:

Not sure if your taking the piss or what. Schumi won the 94 championship because he was head and shoulders better then anyone else that season, and for about the next ten seasons really. Don't give me any bullshit about Hakkinen who had frequent problems beating DC of all people.

90's Schumacher was about the theoretical equivalent of Alonso vs a grid full of Nelson Piquet Jrs.

nah are damon was better

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
vettle never lost to a rock

quid est pro

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Both Pastor and Kimi set faster lap times than last year's pole position? This year's cars are going to be really fast then

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16821.html

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the mclaren still hasn't broken today

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AgentJotun posted:

Not sure if your taking the piss or what. Schumi won the 94 championship because he was head and shoulders better then anyone else that season, and for about the next ten seasons really. Don't give me any bullshit about Hakkinen who had frequent problems beating DC of all people.

90's Schumacher was about the theoretical equivalent of Alonso vs a grid full of Nelson Piquet Jrs.

The FW16 was definitely better than the B194; It had the advantage of the best engine as well. Look at Schumacher's results vs. his teammates during 1994, the Benetton was obviously very difficult to drive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

Wow. Such reliability.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Wow. Such reliability.

Well considering it's patched together until a new part arrives tomorrow it's not bad going

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

Glorious future 2015 WDC Alonso isn't a poo poo hack driver that breaks cars like button.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

be nice wicka posted:

shut up wicka, you'll jynx it!!

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

track day bro! posted:

Vettel is better than Schumacer, hes cooler and also more good. Also he didnt win with a cheaty car unlike ms.
Extremely agree, but Jacques Villeneuve instead of Vettel.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

Wow. Such reliability.

Maybe McLaren should some sweet Reddit/Dogecoin sponsorship like that nascar guy.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Human Grand Prix posted:

The FW16 was definitely better than the B194; It had the advantage of the best engine as well. Look at Schumacher's results vs. his teammates during 1994, the Benetton was obviously very difficult to drive.

I always liked this video showing the telemetry from Schumacher vs Herbert, and explaining how Michael's style resulted in him going faster. He seemed to have a talent for finding the very edge of performance, both with throttle and steering, that other drivers hadn't figured out yet. They probably all drive this way now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtaV_cOGgTM

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Schumacher's best season, despite not winning, was 1998. The fact that he took the fight to Mika and Newey in a car that was obviously very inferior (and on the wrong tires to boot) was very impressive.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

WhoNeedsAName posted:

He's right... 1. Schumacher wasn't a fraud and 2. Vettel isn't a vegetable (yet)

I don't know, he does a pretty good impression of one most of the time

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

Also quite much easier to drive when you got traction control and your team mates don't. At least Lehto has been on record saying that Schumi's car had completely different firmware package than he ever had.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remain unconvinced that Schumacher had traction control.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Der Kyhe posted:

Also quite much easier to drive when you got traction control and your team mates don't. At least Lehto has been on record saying that Schumi's car had completely different firmware package than he ever had.

If it was just firmware, wouldn't it be in the constructors best intrest to roll that out to both of your cars?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Human Grand Prix posted:

I remain unconvinced that Schumacher had traction control.

Tbf he went off piste

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Tbf he went off piste

Sounds like typical ABS failure to me. Are we sure he was using proper winter tires?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Sussie Wulff. I would watch her getting rammed by Nasr, if you know what I mean fellas :smug:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Norns posted:

If it was just firmware, wouldn't it be in the constructors best intrest to roll that out to both of your cars?

Yes it would, but it is also easier to say that "He is just that good" when the other car isn't performing that well. Plausible deniability and such. If I remember correctly they also had some refueling shenanigans going on at the same time.

Edit: BUT it might also be just Lehto talking out of his rear end; the guys latest motorsport achievement is convincing everyone that he didn't drive his boat into a bridge while black out-drunk.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Schumacher: 92pts
his teammates: 11pts

average number of points scored by his team-mates in other full seasons:
JJ Lehto: 3
Jos Verstappen: 3
Johnny Herbert: 13

Hill: 91pts
his team-mates: 27pts

average number of points scored by this team-mates in other full seasons:
Ayrton Senna: 61
David Coulthard: 36
Nigel Mansell: 40

Or in other words, Hill's team-mates scored about two and a half times as many points as Schumacher's team-mates did - but that's if anything slightly less than what you'd expect based on an average season's performance for Hill's team-mates, because Hill's team mates were two world champions and a guy who won 13 races, and Schumacher's team-mates were three guys who never quite lived up to their potential. I am not buying that the FW16 was definitely better than the B194. It was probably better than the B194 at the end of the season, but clearly not at the start of it where neither Hill nor Senna could reliably keep it on the track.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The way I heard it is the FW16 was way worse, very nervous and the mid-season B car pretty much transformed it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

or ARE DAMON was just a grossly underrated driver.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Damon was poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

The way I heard it is the FW16 was way worse, very nervous and the mid-season B car pretty much transformed it.

I think Prost more or less confirmed that the FW15C (which the 16 was an evolution of) was garbage and active suspension was the only thing holding it together.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

The early one yes, this had largely been rectified after Imola, depending on if you believe Newey. Verstappen (who sucks) and Herbert (who doesn't) both said that the B194 was a very twitchy car, not to mention the power deficit that the Cosworth V8 had. Hill was not a match for Schumacher - at all, but he nearly won due to the car. As for the quality of the team-mates DC was unproven, and Mansell was old as poo poo. I don't believe the B194 was that great of a car.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

1500quidporsche posted:

I think Prost more or less confirmed that the FW15C (which the 16 was an evolution of) was garbage and active suspension was the only thing holding it together.

The FW15 pretty much relied on its bells and whistles to be fast, the FW16 was a direct evolution of its chassis and suddenly didn't have those.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ericsson is still bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rhopunzel posted:

The FW15 pretty much relied on its bells and whistles to be fast, the FW16 was a direct evolution of its chassis and suddenly didn't have those.

Its really astonishing how bad Newey is at designing cars when he can't use gimmicks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What have been the cars with major tech advances that were subsequently banned?

The fan cars, the cars with active suspension? What other crazy poo poo haven't I seen?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Alain Post posted:

Damon was poo poo.

Damon was pretty awesome, and his qualifying laps were sometimes awe inspiring.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Norns posted:

The fan cars, the cars with active suspension? What other crazy poo poo haven't I seen?

I think McLaren had separate break pedals for each side of the car a few years back.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Renault's mass dampers

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

The early one yes, this had largely been rectified after Imola, depending on if you believe Newey. Verstappen (who sucks) and Herbert (who doesn't) both said that the B194 was a very twitchy car, not to mention the power deficit that the Cosworth V8 had. Hill was not a match for Schumacher - at all, but he nearly won due to the car. As for the quality of the team-mates DC was unproven, and Mansell was old as poo poo. I don't believe the B194 was that great of a car.

Hill was only in the hunt because the FIA removed Schumacher from a full quarter of the season for bullshit "we feel sorry for Williams" reasons. Certainly it was probably a better car at the end of the season and unquestionably the Renault was a nice unit though.

Norns posted:

To be picky, the fan car wasn't banned, at least not during the season it raced anyway.

Ground effect is the most obvious other batshit thing that came and went, along with crazy wings of various types from the tower wings of the late 60s to the X-Wings of the 90s.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Dudley posted:

Hill was only in the hunt because the FIA removed Schumacher from a full quarter of the season for bullshit "we feel sorry for Williams" reasons. Certainly it was probably a better car at the end of the season and unquestionably the Renault was a nice unit though.

Absolutely. I tried to like Damon, I really did. But when the FIA started pulling all that crap I couldn't help but want Schumacher to win.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Frank WIlliAms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

ABS, Traction Control, CVT Transmissions, 4-Wheel Steering, Reactive Suspensions. The CVT was banned before it raced, 4WS was banned but I've read many conflicting things about it's effectiveness. ABS and TC were godsends, and I'm always bewildered when people say ABS and Traction control are useless.

1500quidporsche posted:

Its really astonishing how bad Newey is at designing cars when he can't use gimmicks.

I don't agree; even his non-gimmicky designs have always been pretty good. Aside from the 1989 and 1990 March/Leyton House cars, I guess.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 20, 2015

• Locked thread