Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's true that the Occultist handles enemy crits better, but since you can't be killed outright by a crit I don't feel that's a huge point in his favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It does feel pretty amazing suddenly popping RESIST!! 12 Heal. Because holy balls that's saved me a bunch.

Of course the BLEED!!! then .....
has killed me a few times.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Holy poo poo. I grossly underestimated If It Bleeds. The ability to consistently hit three rows for full damage-- and two of them with a spectacular Bleed effect--is just so strong. I have no idea how people can think the Hellion was nerfed to uselessness when she still has all this going for her.

Plus, it's not like the nerfed skills are even that bad now, anyway. They're just a "once or twice a battle" thing rather than the be-all, end-all of the class.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Holy poo poo. I grossly underestimated If It Bleeds. The ability to consistently hit three rows for full damage-- and two of them with a spectacular Bleed effect--is just so strong. I have no idea how people can think the Hellion was nerfed to uselessness when she still has all this going for her.

Plus, it's not like the nerfed skills are even that bad now, anyway. They're just a "once or twice a battle" thing rather than the be-all, end-all of the class.

Hellion is still mighty with her damage and reach, but Breakthru isn't that great anymore.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hellion is easily my MPV class. Top of the line reach and damage, situational AoE stuns and damage, reasonable durability, good class trinket and excellent camp skills. There's really nothing she can't do, aside from healing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I'm just saying for more Zomgz 20 pt swings. The Vestal is OP a gently caress, and any party is better off with one.

You can still do that, just have one guy mark and one guy bomb while you alternate between the two +dmg abilities on whoever.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I use Breakthrough as a finisher now, it's still perfectly serviceable that way, you just can't use it exclusively anymore. Hellions are still so good anyway, it's just a little tougher if they get stuck in the back two slots.

What's everyone's favorite party setup currently? My A-Team right now is, from back to front, Vestal, Highwayman, Hellion, Leper. The Leper sits there soaking up damage and Hewing the poo poo out of the front two guys, while the Hellion axes everything she can reach, stacking bleeds on boss fights whenever applicable. The Highwayman and Vestal hang out in the back sniping, the Vestal healing as needed. Also the Vestal's Judgement is awesome, especially when fully upgraded.

I could probably do two Hellions instead of a Leper, or switch a Highwayman for another ranged class, but this is the most solid group out of all the ones I've experimented with. I've cleared up to the Level 5 bosses with these guys with no major problems. The only thing really lacking is ability to clear Blight and Bleed, but I haven't had those be a big enough issue yet.

And their camping abilities are really solid, Leper gets a self-accuracy buff, Hellion gets a +10 accuracy and +20% Damage to size 2 monsters (all bosses at this point), Highwayman gets the ridiculous Clean Guns buff, and Vestal can toss a +10 dodge, +10 Accuracy on anyone.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hellion also gets Sharpen Spear, which is maybe the best camp buff in the game. +10% crit is ungodly good. In my double Hellion party I generally camp first thing in every dungeon, just to skyrocket them both up to 30-35% crit.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

RightClickSaveAs posted:

What's everyone's favorite party setup currently?

People keep asking this in the thread, and I feel like i must be alone in the idea of not committing people to specific teams. Typically I put a vestal in the back row and then look at whatever I have available for the other three slots. Typically its a crusader/leper/hellion up front, and then almost anything else I feel like for the other two slots. I don't make teams, I just look at who is available and make a plan based off that, occasionally checking quirks to see if some of them have bonuses or negatives to the specific area they're going to. I've made every combination work and I feel like that's more to the point of the game than rigidly sticking everyone in 4 man assignments. Though I can see the purpose and outcome of parties that have been suggested.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's actually a pretty huge number of part combinations that work quite well.

Vestal, Bounty/Highway, Hellion, Hellion/Crusader/Leper
Vestal, Jester/Bounty, Highway, Highway (Point blank shot you)
Vestal, Occultist, Bounty, Hellion/Crusader/Leper
Vestal, Jester, Robber, Highway (Musical chairs!)
Etc. etc.

Really, I'd say the only problem with party formation at the moment is that the Vestal is too good in the support role. Wouldn't mind seeing a slight buff to the Occultist and Plague Doctor to make them competitive. Something like removing the damage and some of the debuff power from Weakening Curse, but making it a full AoE so he had something to compete with Divine Comfort. Maybe turn Battlefield Med into a two position AoE as well.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Occultist/Highwayman/Highwayman/Occultist. 2x clean guns, 2x dark strength, bandit's sense camp buffs immediately upon entering for +40% damage, +10 accuracy and possibly +5% crit, and improved chance of surprising enemies. The occultist in the back mainly does heals and abyssal artillery, while the one in the front does stuns and sacrificial stab. Both highwaymen wear archer's rings and a +damage trinket (preferably berserk charms) and spend every fight using grapeshot blast or pistol shot. With +55% damage, it completely negates the damage penalty from grapeshot blast, so if you hit three targets it's doing more than a point blank shot would.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

Dackel posted:

The "ranged" keyword itself doesn't make that skill any more attractive. Especially as a character that has a melee skill that can hit every square.

What they probably should do is make the hook an aoe that hits 2 spots.

Now that I think about it, you know what this game doesn't have? A flexible 2 spot aoe attack (you choose which to hit: 1-2 2-3 3-4)

Hook and slash should hit the first and last rank. I don't know how they'd illustrate it though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jade Star posted:

People keep asking this in the thread, and I feel like i must be alone in the idea of not committing people to specific teams. Typically I put a vestal in the back row and then look at whatever I have available for the other three slots. Typically its a crusader/leper/hellion up front, and then almost anything else I feel like for the other two slots. I don't make teams, I just look at who is available and make a plan based off that, occasionally checking quirks to see if some of them have bonuses or negatives to the specific area they're going to. I've made every combination work and I feel like that's more to the point of the game than rigidly sticking everyone in 4 man assignments. Though I can see the purpose and outcome of parties that have been suggested.

I mix and match from 0-2, but settling folks down into squads by the time they hit 3+ is both a nice narrative piece for me, and it also stops the game from being TOO boring. By the time guys hit level 3+, they're individually powerful enough and you know enough about the dungeons that it's not difficult to make an 'ideal' team for whatever mission you're rolling into. Making a static squad, however, requires some sacrifices and tradeoffs to keep them reasonably competent everywhere. Or, restricting them to only one dungeon dive because it's the only one they can do really safely.

Ideally, they'll increase the monster variety at higher level dungeons moving forward so you haven't seen 85% of the moves in the game by the time your guys hit level 3, but that's the way it is right now.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Mushrooman posted:

Hook and slash should hit the first and last rank. I don't know how they'd illustrate it though.

Hook is attached to a scimitar, you slash the scimitar at rank 1 enemy while with the downward swing you throw the hook at the last rank?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Newest patch added an extra empty row to trinket inventory! Effin' thank you!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well I just had my first party wipe on a short level 1 warrens quest in a no torch run. I think I need to start taking advantage of push/pull abilities.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Retreat. Retreatretreatretreat.

Got slammed with a ton of Stress from a crit howl in the second room of a run? Scuttle it. Lose one of your guys to a bad crit half way through? Run da gently caress away. Any time something happens that puts a serious kink in a fight you should give serious consideration to fleeing the battle, if not the entire run. Bad poo poo tends to snowball in this game, and trying to muscle though for the sake of a few K gold and a handful of heirlooms isn't worth risking a TPK.

Party wipes should never happen unless you're either being stubborn or just get crazy unlucky and lose the entire team in the span of a single turn.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Party wipes should never happen unless you're either being stubborn or just get crazy unlucky and lose the entire team in the span of a single turn.

Well you should add in don't fight a boss unless you're 100% prepared. Trying to run away 4 turns in a row and failing is kind of bullshit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Darkest Dungeon - Don't kill Wilbur

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I lost an entire party in one turn after killing Willbur and I endorse this message.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On the other hand, if you manage to stun or disable Wilbur somehow, the Swine prince/etc doesn't know what to do, and will just wail on one of your two frontliners for 4-5 damage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought after the Swine Prince and sniping Wilbur and getting the reaction I did, I'd try one-shotting him to see if it'd confuse the boss on the Swine King and get the gently caress out of dodge if things went sour. Went in with my best dudes, full health and everything, my best Highwayman sniped Wilbur on the first turn, and the Swine King proceeded to stunlock the entire party to death despite resistances.

Don't Kill Wilbur.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So an idea occurred to me. This game has/will have modding support right? Even if that founder-exclusive class is a whole class and not just a fancy reskin how long would it take for someone to just mod it in?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Jade Star posted:

This is generally how I've always played games like this. I generally evaluate my success on how well my entire group is rounded. I've put the game up for a bit, but I have 20 people all lvl 3. I've always found that relying on a core group will inevitably lead to a situation where they get wrecked and you won't have anything else. I like having a wide range of options and consider myself "playing correctly" if I can bring any combination of people into a dungeon and come out fine. That isn't to say that certain combinations are better than others and if you're going after a boss you'll generally want to pick your best options. I also find formulaic battles tedious after awhile.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I honestly cannot choose. My favorite thing about this game is just how creative you can get with your party compositions and it's just going to get even better when the other classes are added.

Vestal, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Hellion is a standard for boss fights.

Occultist, Jester, Grave Robber, Bounty Hunter is really fun. I feel like the Jester works well in this party because of how offensively oriented it is.

Occultist, Jester, Grave Robber, Highwayman is a ton of fun for the amount of flexibility you have with the marching order while maintaining a solid offense.

Vestal, Highwayman, Crusader, Hellion is fun because of how tanky it is. I know Lepers are everyone's favorite damage sponge, but the Crusader is plenty competent in his own right with a fair bit more flexibility.

Really, the only class I haven't really made use of is the Plague Doctor on account of how poor her toolset worked compared to the other classes. Since the buff, she is a good bit more viable, but I'm not really certain what kind of party would be suitable for her. Just lack of experience using people suppose. I'd be interested to hear how other people are using her.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Since the plague doc buff, i notice they are a lot more useful at higher levels, where damage over time effects do much more than they used to. When bleed/blight was 1dmg for 3 turns, that wasn't much of a consideration. Let that run out and whatever, 3hp gone. When it's 3 or 4hp a turn for 3 turns, suddenly battlefield medicine looks more appealing, and better now that it heals.

And the same goes for offense. In early levels fights are over pretty fast, so dealing 1 or 2 dmg over 3 rounds doesn't seem so great. But when fights are going to last 4-5 rounds and a leveled up noxious dust attack deals 4dmg over 3 rounds, that damage over time component starts to mean each attack is putting in 8 or 12 extra damage. Against size two monsters or bosses, that's actually really nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My current best lineup is a Crusader or Leper, followed by two Highwaymen and a Vestal. I know, boring. But MAN does poo poo die fast, even in rank 3 dungeons. I just took out the level 3 Necromancer without even healing. Double Grapeshot followed by Zealous Accusation guaranteed kills every skeleton he summons while also doing 25-30 damage a turn, sometimes the Grapeshot kills the skeletons alone and then the Crusader can just wallop the Necromancer. The Vestal's there for emergencies but can also throw out Judgements and Dazzling Lights for either damage + healing or potential stuns.

My loadout for the four(all with upgraded armor/skills) is

Crusader: Smite/Zealous Accusation/Stunning Blow/Battle Heal
Highwaymen: Wicked Slice/Pistol Shot/Grapeshot Blast/Open Vein
Vestal: Judgement/Dazzling Light/Divine Grace/Divine Comfort

If I have a Leper instead of the Crusader, he rolls with Chop/Hew/Withstand/Solemnity

I can have problems with back row jerks sometimes, but if there's only one(like the little bone goblet fucker or the priestesses or drum pigs or skeleton archers) 2x Pistol Shot + Judgement will almost always kill them outright unless two of the three miss. There's no pull/knockback, true, but it's so much damage that even boss fights last maybe 5 turns. Dropping double Open Veins on a boss is very useful as well, as the bleed stacks twice(but apparently no higher so far as I've tested), and if I'm in trouble healthwise, I can kill all but one guy and try to stunlock them with the Vestal and Crusader while either one uses their heal to heal up whoever needs it. Since Stunning Blow and Dazzling Light do very little damage sans crits, it can result in maybe 3-4 rounds of healing even off a lovely bone goblet guy without getting hit back. The Highwaymen can just do a little do-si-do while the Crusader and Vestal do their thing. They're generally my go-to boss killers, these four took out everything except the Apprentice Necromancer(since I didn't have them yet) and happened to be in therapy when the secondary B-Team learned why you shouldn't kill Wilbur.

They might have trouble with the second Hag boss, I'll have to see. First one got shot in the face a whole lot and died before the third guy got tossed into the pot. Both Highwaymen now have those charms that increase damage/crit I believe, so she shouldn't be too big an issue.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I use Breakthrough as a finisher now, it's still perfectly serviceable that way, you just can't use it exclusively anymore. Hellions are still so good anyway, it's just a little tougher if they get stuck in the back two slots.

What's everyone's favorite party setup currently? My A-Team right now is, from back to front, Vestal, Highwayman, Hellion, Leper. The Leper sits there soaking up damage and Hewing the poo poo out of the front two guys, while the Hellion axes everything she can reach, stacking bleeds on boss fights whenever applicable. The Highwayman and Vestal hang out in the back sniping, the Vestal healing as needed. Also the Vestal's Judgement is awesome, especially when fully upgraded.

I could probably do two Hellions instead of a Leper, or switch a Highwayman for another ranged class, but this is the most solid group out of all the ones I've experimented with. I've cleared up to the Level 5 bosses with these guys with no major problems. The only thing really lacking is ability to clear Blight and Bleed, but I haven't had those be a big enough issue yet.

And their camping abilities are really solid, Leper gets a self-accuracy buff, Hellion gets a +10 accuracy and +20% Damage to size 2 monsters (all bosses at this point), Highwayman gets the ridiculous Clean Guns buff, and Vestal can toss a +10 dodge, +10 Accuracy on anyone.

At low levels, I like to run Plague Doctor, Vestal, Bounty Hunter, Hellion, stun everything and have the bounty hunter pick everything off.

Vestal, Bounty Hunter, Crusader, Crusader is ridiculously flexible if the Crusaders have the lance move.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really, really wish the hunger mechanic wasn't such bullshit. I just lost a really good hellion because the game gave me hunger every hallway and she wound up in the death blow state due to starvation even though I entered with more food than I usually ever buy. Then of course next encounter is with some dogs that get to go first and they target her until she dies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How much food do you normally take? I always take a stack +1 stack per firewood.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I usually take 8 and it gets me through fine. This time I took 12 because I figured why not and bought more of everything I usually buy. I didn't wind up using any of the shovels. I just think it's ridiculous that some times you can go through a whole dungeon without ever getting hunger, other times you can wind up in situations like this where every hallway throws it at you. It should at least have a cooldown period.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
It's pretty stupid that going back over an area you have already cleared incurs 10x as much hunger as covering new territory. But with 3-4 bloodthirst rings that's a really cost-effective way to heal.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Nuebot posted:

she wound up in the death blow state due to starvation

I know this is probably obvious in retrospect, but that's a really good cue to abort the run.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Internet Kraken posted:

Curious is probably one of the worst quriks because on top of touching every drat thing, they will keep you from using your items on those things to make them safe.

"I've gotta know how this works!" *sticks head into cart full of corpses*

I'm amused by curious - put together this little montage of one Plague Doctor's misadventures due to it.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
God drat, the difficulty upgrade from apprentice to veteran is really rough. I can't heal through all the damage my party is taking :/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Are you upgrading your skills? Thats crucial for operating in Veteran and Champion.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

For party comp I feel maxing out roster size is more important than what actually goes in the party, since it's pretty easy to build a team that works well enough. The holy trinity is always a safe bet, though I really like two grave robbers with lunge and a jester with solo, dirk, and ballad. Vestal sits behind and heals while they dance all over the place. It can get dicey since none of them have much health, but they can kill anywhere and opening with a double shadow fade is stupid amounts of dodge.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My top party comp is rather boring: Vestal, Bounty Hunter, Hellion, Hellion. Vestal and Bounty Hunter usually provide stuns first turn (if the enemy is surprised then they all use attacks) and the Hellions lay down the bleed attack.

I also use: Occultist x2 in the back, Bounty Hunter/Crusader, Hellion/Leper combo in level 3 dungeons right now.
Vestal, Bounty hunter x2, Leper.

I have 0 Jesters or Highwaymen on my 20 man roster.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 20, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was feeling pretty smug and confident that I had mastered the game but I just had to do a retreat on the necromancer lord after my level 5-6 A-team got their poo poo pushed in on a fight right before the boss and then he boss its self going first and landing some serious crits. Still a challenge to be found in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angrymog posted:

I'm amused by curious - put together this little montage of one Plague Doctor's misadventures due to it.

...how do you get tetanus from a book? :confused: