Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Fucknag posted:

So it's finally progressed to the point that I've noticed, I seem to be in the early stages of male pattern baldness.

I'm only 26. :suicide:

What's the recommended cure? by which i mean what brand of liqour

drat son my hair left me at 20 or so as well. Shave the poo poo off and keep it shaved and never worry about it again like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I met a goon today (Darchangel).

I didn't die. Yet. (also thanks for the parts :hf: just waiting on the cheap video card to show up now)

Rhyno posted:

I just feel real iffy about the mounts I see available. You wouldn't happen to have a brand and/or part number handy?

Monoprice has good mounts for dirt cheap, and I got a Zircon stud finder at either Lowe's or Home Depot pretty cheap. I think I paid :10bux: for my mount, though it's one that just goes flat against the wall.

Speaking of Monoprice, all the network poo poo I ordered showed up today. No way in hell am I going to be able to use the double gang 12 port keystone plate, I'm going to have to use a patch panel even with the slim keystones I got. Suggestions on how to cleanly bring ~12 cables through drywall? The most convenient way is through the closet ceiling, so it'd need to be sealed pretty well (rodents, insulation blowing around, etc).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fucknag posted:

So it's finally progressed to the point that I've noticed, I seem to be in the early stages of male pattern baldness.

26? I wish. I finally had to start shaving my head at 15. Highschool was a blast.

Really though you stop caring pretty quick. Welcome to the club. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Yeah those are great nail/screw finders :v:

Point taken, but I have yet to get a false positive. Three different electronic finders have given me all kinds of bad readings over the years.

Besides, it's easy to confirm. Find one screw, then move straight up or down and find another. Not likely to have two random nails perfectly in line with each other.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You havent seen the latest poo poo they are whacking together and calling a "House", Have you...

why measure when you can just blow a clip of nailgun nails through the gap and call it good?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

IOwnCalculus posted:

Point taken, but I have yet to get a false positive. Three different electronic finders have given me all kinds of bad readings over the years.

Besides, it's easy to confirm. Find one screw, then move straight up or down and find another. Not likely to have two random nails perfectly in line with each other.

Step up to the pro level and use a infrared camera. Never have to guess again!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How hard is it to change the alternator in a 2003 Grand Prix V6?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like I'm committed to at least going through the courses for the computer janitor stuff. Went up there to sign the student loan paperwork today; they handed me a flat box that said "Toshiba" and "Intel Inside", with an odd sticker on the side saying i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and some other mumbo jumbo. I didn't expect to be leaving there with a laptop in my hands, especially since classes don't start for a month and a half. Not complaining, I've been wanting to dropkick my Chromebook for months (also if anyone wants a Chromebook that's been bumped up to 3GB from 2GB of RAM for cheap....). The Toshiba is a quick laptop (for me), but good god it needs a SSD.

The paperwork I signed states the laptop is mine the moment I accept it, no givies backsies. So if I back out at this point, I get to pay them for the laptop. :suicide: Though the price listed in the paperwork is a bit less than what it retails for. It's a pretty drat nice laptop, though I forgot how much I hated The Windows 8 UI (the first thing I did was install StartIsBack.. then remove the shitload of crap Toshiba included with it). I also assumed i5 always meant quad core, but apparently the mobile version is a dual core. :confused: Discovering my Innergie laptop charger works with it (with a different tip) is a nice surprise; it puts out a lot more wattage than the 45W supply it came with (so possibly faster charging, if the laptop's internal charging circuitry allows it), and the Innergie can run off of a car lighter socket.

Also found out I have a free 5 PC license of Office 365 thanks to keeping my old unt.edu email account active. So 365 is on both the laptop and my desktop, replacing my ancient copy of Office 2010. It looks like it's a regular license instead of a subscription, but it has a hard limit of 5 installs tied to the account.

Rhyno posted:

How hard is it to change the alternator in a 2003 Grand Prix V6?

The good news is, it's right up on top. It's likely 2 bolts, a plug or two, and a ring terminal.

The bad news is, if it's anything like any other FWD GM, the tensioner will be a pain in the rear end to get to. Also, hopefully it's not the supercharged version, it makes things a bit more cramped.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 20, 2015

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fucknag posted:

Welcome to the club;I'm also 26 but I've been shaving my head since I was 22 (and losing hair since I was 17).

You learn real quick that bald = awesome, though, I'll let you know that..

Also, if you grow a beard as well as shaving your head (like I do) every kind of "headstrong" or "independent" (read: tattoos, probably self-inflicted scars) girl will be all over you. Enjoy life with a new head.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some texas redneck posted:

Looks like I'm committed to at least going through the courses for the computer janitor stuff. Went up there to sign the student loan paperwork today; they handed me a flat box that said "Toshiba" and "Intel Inside", with an odd sticker on the side saying i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and some other mumbo jumbo. I didn't expect to be leaving there with a laptop in my hands, especially since classes don't start for a month and a half. Not complaining, I've been wanting to dropkick my Chromebook for months (also if anyone wants a Chromebook that's been bumped up to 3GB from 2GB of RAM for cheap....). The Toshiba is a quick laptop (for me), but good god it needs a SSD.

The paperwork I signed states the laptop is mine the moment I accept it, no givies backsies. So if I back out at this point, I get to pay them for the laptop. :suicide: Though the price listed in the paperwork is a bit less than what it retails for. It's a pretty drat nice laptop, though I forgot how much I hated The Windows 8 UI (the first thing I did was install StartIsBack.. then remove the shitload of crap Toshiba included with it). I also assumed i5 always meant quad core, but apparently the mobile version is a dual core. :confused: Discovering my Innergie laptop charger works with it (with a different tip) is a nice surprise; it puts out a lot more wattage than the 45W supply it came with (so possibly faster charging, if the laptop's internal charging circuitry allows it), and the Innergie can run off of a car lighter socket.

So you bought a new laptop. That's as much of a warning sign for a "school" as you can get. How much did they charge you for the $200 laptop?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

$600. Looked up the model # with the same specs, it retails for $600-750 everywhere from Best Buy to Newegg to Amazon when I google it.

If it doesn't pan out the way they claim it will (in writing), I have a bit of recourse through both the state (in several forms, both educational and workforce commission) and the US Dept of Education (since they handle Title IV loans/grants).

I could always learn underwater welding...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 20, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well work today was a wash. One of the guys was too hung over to come in and the dude driving's truck broke down 10 min after he picked me up.

Edit: Hair Chat

My hair was always thin as hell and I was really self concious about it in high school. Eventually I said gently caress it and buzzed my head. Best decision ever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My hair is still thick as hell. I'm the only person on my mom's side of the family who hasn't been completely bald by 30. Even my mom is balding :ssh:

I know I'm going to lose it at some point in the next 5-10 years, so I'm growing it back out for one last hurrah. Hopefully by summer it'll be a decent length, right now it's only down to my chin.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fucknag posted:

I was about 19 when a friend (who is a prick in the best possible manner) noticed and said "Are you going bald?!" aaaaaaand the next day my hair was a whole lot shorter when I went back to class. You can keep it shortish for a while if you don't want to let go immediately but at some point you are going to have to embrace the buzzcut and after a week you won't even give it a second though. Everyone thinks "I've got a really weird shaped head!" but 99 times of out 100 this isn't true. So don't worry.

Also only grow a beard if your stubble grows in even otherwise you'll be that guy with more hair on his balls than his face and it's not a good look.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thick head of hair, 36 :smug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kinda the only thing that's going well for me at the moment, but hey

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

You Am I posted:

Same, but 39.

I have one uncle who's going pattern bald in his fifties. No other man in my family (even my grandparents) has a bald spot (though it seems the men in the family all get a bit of a widow's peak as we get older). Also we all go grey at the temples early; all my uncles have white temples, as do I. (I'm only 8 years younger than my youngest uncle, and far older than any of my male cousins, so it's the most direct comparison).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The day i realise I'm going bald I'm shaving and never going back, it's the only self-respecting way to go

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Just ate a handful of jellybeans. Turns out this bag has black licorice flavored beans. :barf:

I appreciate this post. Jelly beans are my favorite candy. drat their good, but gently caress the white and black ones. I sort those suckers out and toss 'em.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've been saying I need to get a hair cut for the last 7 months or so but idk what I want to do with it so it keeps getting longer and longer :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

The day i realise I'm going bald I'm shaving and never going back, it's the only self-respecting way to go

I just use the lowest setting buzzcut, 0.2 mm or whatever it is. Takes about 5 minutes.

This weekend, I spent some quality time with my dad messing around with old turntables. He's got a fancy-pants direct drive fully-automatic tangential tonearm Pioneer PL-L1000 in absolute mint condition. All we needed to fix was the suspension setup, which turned out to be relatively easy with a bit of creativity.

We also fixed up the Thorens TD 105 Mk II that I picked up for $20 because it was defective. The most immediate problem was that the power supply was fried, but we found another 10 VAC supply I could use. The second problem was that the motor would only turn at full speed all the time due to a missing tacho signal. Luckily my dad worked in the service department of a hi-fi store for more than a decade in the 70s and 80s, so he managed to fix the tiny coil. Said it was like milking an ant while wearing boxing gloves.

Then I put a brand-new Ortofon pickup on it, got everything aligned correctly, and it works beautifully. I put on a 1969 Count Basie record that I inherited from my grandpa almost 20 years ago :unsmith::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSz6KSw9MAQ

The only thing I still need to look at is the auto return. It senses the runout groove just fine and stops the motor, but it doesn't lift and return the tonearm like it should. Probably just a slight misalignment of something underneath the platter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wish I could donate some hair to you guys because it keeps showing up in places I don't want it and I'm not amused. I shouldn't have crazy hair on my ears at 28, dammit. Or on the tip of my nose for that matter, I have to yank those ones out once in a while.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The only place I have a lot of hair is on my head. There's a charity event next month where people shave their head for kids with cancer. I'm thinking about participating.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hey it's another feel bad story for 2015. I just found out that if the company I work for doesn't get the contract renewal that makes up half of my work load, my position may be dissolved completely. Which means I'll have to freaking move again, right after I got properly settled. One week of sleepless nights left before salvation or damnation.

Also the spring compressors I bought just slipped first time. (The rubber pads actually slipped off of the claws :downs:)

Somehow they didn't damage anything except the floor. Having eyes never felt so good.:ohdear:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 20, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I met a goon today (Darchangel).

I didn't die. Yet. (also thanks for the parts :hf: just waiting on the cheap video card to show up now)

Monoprice has good mounts for dirt cheap, and I got a Zircon stud finder at either Lowe's or Home Depot pretty cheap. I think I paid :10bux: for my mount, though it's one that just goes flat against the wall.

Speaking of Monoprice, all the network poo poo I ordered showed up today. No way in hell am I going to be able to use the double gang 12 port keystone plate, I'm going to have to use a patch panel even with the slim keystones I got. Suggestions on how to cleanly bring ~12 cables through drywall? The most convenient way is through the closet ceiling, so it'd need to be sealed pretty well (rodents, insulation blowing around, etc).

Dammit, I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Snooze/lose, I guess.

I can't think of a reasonably easy way to bring a bunch of cables through the ceiling that would seal out the attic well. You need something like a firewall gasket on a car. You could come down the wall a bit and use a brush plate, but that would involve drilling holes in the top plate, of course. A brush plate might work OK in the ceiling, but I don't see it keeping crap in/out well.

I could always learn underwater welding...

In Australia.

You Am I posted:

Plenty of hair, 45. :smug: :smug:
Not that I had anything to do with it. Thank you genetics. 'Course it's all going salt and pepper already.

Cakefool posted:

Ditto. Made that decision years ago.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Fucknag posted:

19 here, held on for a few more years and started shaving it at like 24. Just shave it off, grow a short beard, enjoy looking great.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

You Am I posted:

Same, 35, but it's grey as hell. I've been going grey starting when I was 16.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
36 tomorrow, was going bald 7-8 years ago. Cut the bad poo poo out of my life and suddenly my hair grew back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, since they were on sale a week or so ago, I bought a silly thing:

It was either that, or the little anthropomorphic rotor, "Felix". Or maybe the rotor fuzzy dice.

http://www.rotary13b1.com/c/plushtoys.html

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Managed to fire everyone who wants free work done on their cars and when it comes time to help me out they're too busy or blah blah blah money blah blah blah.

:feelsgood:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The good news is, it's right up on top. It's likely 2 bolts, a plug or two, and a ring terminal.

The bad news is, if it's anything like any other FWD GM, the tensioner will be a pain in the rear end to get to. Also, hopefully it's not the supercharged version, it makes things a bit more cramped.

No supercharger thankfully. Car belongs to very broke friends and I was curious if I could knock it out in a few hours.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Slow is Fast posted:

Managed to fire everyone who wants free work done on their cars and when it comes time to help me out they're too busy or blah blah blah money blah blah blah.

:feelsgood:

I feel like I'm constantly culling my real life friends list by striking off names/relationships that are a little too one sided. Got no time for that kind of bullshit.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

I feel like I'm constantly culling my real life friends list by striking off names/relationships that are a little too one sided. Got no time for that kind of bullshit.

I cut a bunch of people when I left the south.

I cut even more when I moved to the bay area. No time for leaches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

I cut a bunch of people when I left the south.

I cut even more when I moved to the bay area. No time for leaches.

Each person that has criticized my sobriety has been kicked to the curb. I've spent all my free time not hanging out with those jerks ironing all my clothes. I've gotten so into having nicely pressed collars that I've contemplated buying a $300 iron.

Looks like I'm off the hook for the alternator. They need it done today and I don't have time until Monday.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those alternators suck anyway. :v:

for you it was booze. Me? selling all the cars and riding bicycles. whoda thunk it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to drink 5-6 days a week and people used to call me a functional alcholic. I don't think I've gone 3 days in the last 5 years without drinking and usually I'd put it away until I passed out. The last year or so I've cut down massively and since Jan 1st I've had booze in my mouth one time. And that got spit out because Evan WIlliams Egg Nog is loving gross.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
loving awesome, man :hfive: Proud of you. Anytime I hear of someone kicking a habit like that, or at least attempting to, just makes me want to give 'em a big ol' bear hug. I drink a 6 pack about every two weeks, so I'm not a teetotaler. For me, it was the realization that not one good thing has ever happened to me because of alcohol, and every bad thing that has ever happened was connected TO alcohol.

Plus hangovers just absolutely knock me out of commission for two days because I have apparently turned into a big old sloppy vagina.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I used to drink 5-6 days a week and people used to call me a functional alcholic. I don't think I've gone 3 days in the last 5 years without drinking and usually I'd put it away until I passed out. The last year or so I've cut down massively and since Jan 1st I've had booze in my mouth one time. And that got spit out because Evan WIlliams Egg Nog is loving gross.

I should really cut back too... I'll have 2-3 drinks probably 4 nights a week, and 5 or so once a week. Better than what I used to do, where I'd polish off half a bottle of whiskey in an evening and repeat every other day, but still probably more than is healthy.

Edit: back when I'd drink half a bottle on a Wednesday night... man I hated the sour stomach the next day. No headache, just couldn't eat anything until lunchtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I probably should cut back on drinking too. :v:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4896490626.html

Help I need an adult!

• Locked thread