Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I'm back into playing single player Smash 4 and I'm doing various things to try to unlock customs. I'm having a hell of a time playing Mega Man against high difficulty CPUs. Getting kills is a pain in the rear end when the AI always dodges air to air attacks. I don't really *need* to beat All Star on Hard with Mega Man but now I want to figure it out. It's pretty hard to deal with 3 characters swarming on him too. Does anyone have some tips for dealing with these situations?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Does customs being legal mean people in the goon channel will start being more eager to play with them (I just want to use Custom Samus please let me use custom Samus)?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

All is as it should be

All glory to the customs

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Waverhouse posted:

Does customs being legal mean people in the goon channel will start being more eager to play with them (I just want to use Custom Samus please let me use custom Samus)?

people already are

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i just plain forget to turn them on so yell at me if we are ever playign and you want them.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

Has anybody noticed that almost all of Greninja's moves, save for his specials, are nearly identical to Sheik's? Even his crawl and broken shield animation are almost exactly the same.

Except for his forward tilt, up tilt, Down smash, forward smash, forward air, down air, back air, and neutral air being totally different, yeah I guess so.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I've never even got to play online with goons. The one time I saw someone with an open room, they kicked me.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

People tend to pre-arrange matches with specific other people ahead of time so if X opens a room and you got kicked they were probably planning to 1v1 with Y. Most people on the irc are friendly, and will fight you if you ask!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Customs are great fun and I use customs for almost every character. Even though I don't like the competitive Smash scene, I'm appreciating it hasn't just been met with a big fat NOPE for tournaments and poo poo.

I think I'm being too kind when I play with people, most people I play with do that "stand at edge of stage, grab, throw off" and I've never gotten into doing that. I usually don't grab people much, in fact. For some reason that's never entered my Smash mindset.

I need to find people more at my skill level to play with, I keep getting into matches with people who pull off stuff that I just go okay how the hell did that even happen about.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shields are very strong in this one so grabs are very important, there's no two ways about it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waverhouse posted:

We always have customs turned on since the start of last week. Anyone that ever wants to play needs to hit up the IRC because we have a fair amount of matches going on throughout the day, especially at night.

KennyMan666 posted:

I think I'm being too kind when I play with people, most people I play with do that "stand at edge of stage, grab, throw off" and I've never gotten into doing that. I usually don't grab people much, in fact. For some reason that's never entered my Smash mindset.

I need to find people more at my skill level to play with, I keep getting into matches with people who pull off stuff that I just go okay how the hell did that even happen about.

Almost everyone that plays in IRC tends to go ham, even though this game definitely rewards camping it out and playing super safe. I throw short hop knees out like they're candy even though the landing lag is terrible and i get heavily punished for it, its all in good fun trying to stunt on peeps. I'd start being mindful of grabbing though since it really helps in a lot of situations that straight attacking isn't viable in.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I abandoned all Smash threads after the final roster was announced in August. I got a WiiU and Smash for Christmas, and a few of my friends did too, so we've been meeting up once a week or so to smash it out. Really love this game, there's just so loving much to do, and so much to unlock. I know some people hate having to unlock poo poo, but I feel like it keeps things fresh, especially unlocking customizations.

Which, by the way, I've also been having a blast with. When all the customization options were announced I assumed that I and most people would largely ignore them, but it's been one of my favorite aspects of the game so far.

Since I've been out of the loop re: general and goon consensus, anything I should know to be caught up? Specifically I'd love to know which characters are considered the most dangerous, which customization options are most overpowered, etc... And if anyone has any good tournament play I'd love to check that out too.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Grabs are very important in every smash game. Not using them is like ignoring scissors in Rock-Paper-Scissors. Use them. Grab beats pretty much every defensive option so they're incredibly important in S4.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

bef posted:

Almost everyone that plays in IRC tends to go ham, even though this game definitely rewards camping it out and playing super safe.

I'm pretty sure I use nothing but PK Thunder when fighting in the IRC. That's how one properly plays Ness though, right?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Did they ever give an ETA for tourney mode and/or Mewtwo? Like any broad, seasonal or quarterly windows? Or is it on Valve Time?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reiley posted:

Did they ever give an ETA for tourney mode and/or Mewtwo? Like any broad, seasonal or quarterly windows? Or is it on Valve Time?

Spring

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Gamestop just started doing in-store reserves for a second shipment of Gamecube Adapters. $19.99, you can do the five dollars down. Got mine down yesterday - they'll be in stores in May.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chaltab posted:

I've never even got to play online with goons. The one time I saw someone with an open room, they kicked me.

Was it me? I was running 1v1 sets with a friend and some dude kept trying to join and wasn't exactly sure how to say "come back later".

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chaltab posted:

Oh sorry, that was me. My friend wanted to do 1v1s and there's no good way of saying "busy". :( You should shoot a PM, post in the thread or ask in the IRC for some games next time!

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I wish Smash 4 @ Evo was a doubles tournament, it's way more exciting to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Doubles is fun but it either ends in a hype 1v2 comeback or a less hype 2v1 execution.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Reiley posted:

Doubles is fun but it either ends in a hype 1v2 comeback or a less hype 2v1 execution.

Happy feet, happy feet; Where you at, where you at?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4faLHDx_U

You know what Smash Bros really needs? Realistic clapping sounds.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

bobjr posted:

drat it adds so much. Smash surely would have got Game of the Year if Sakurai hadn't skimped on the clapping budget.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

bobjr posted:

This is what the Game Grumps are doing now?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Realistic fapping sounds.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I still lost it at the DK one like a retard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

F. Lobot posted:

Would you rather have doubles/no custom or singles/custom.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Raserys posted:

This is what the Game Grumps are doing now?

It's just an extra channel for dumb stuff that doesn't really fit in the main channel and has no update schedule.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Did Ubisoft ever release that statement about the Rayman leak, or did they drop everything when ArtsyOmni told all?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

A kirby just 2-stocked a sheik

twice

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 22, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ruggington posted:

twice

he got that rainbow curse hype.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

F. Lobot posted:

And now they are singing Escape from the City.

Best stream.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

bobjr posted:

Sonic sounds like what I imagine it sounds like when someone uses a fleshlight.

So I refuse to buy a Wii U, so the 3DS version is all I have. Haven't played a Smash game since Melee, holy poo poo they added a fuckload of cool/retarded/:wtc: stuff.

I just have one question: Is there a way to tweak Dr Mario with Customs so that he plays like he did in Melee, with the awesome air punch and super breakdance kick? Really makes me sad that he's basically just old Mario with the washing machine down special.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Wii U is good now, and actually the best console of the generation.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Fuzz posted:

I just have one question: Is there a way to tweak Dr Mario with Customs so that he plays like he did in Melee, with the awesome air punch and super breakdance kick? Really makes me sad that he's basically just old Mario with the washing machine down special.
Short answer, no. Long answer, read this.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

When is the tournament update coming

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ruggington posted:

twice

You say that like its an uncommon occurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Project M: 3 Ikes and a Ganon
http://www.twitch.tv/projecttoronto

• Locked thread