Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ok I retract my last post. They're all plainly going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

I'm not getting the reason for why Kanaya is so excited for Bro. Did I miss something in Homestuck or is this just a joke specific to this comic?

She's been to the camp before and presumably enjoyed the time she spent there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sollux's prescience comes through again. Doom. Doom doom.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Still waiting on Dave's reaction to Karkat's interpretation of Bro.

So I guess this means the other guardians are probably the other councilors? Are the human kids going to be around, maybe at that camp across the lake?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If Karkat's basing this on human summer camp romcoms, then there'd have to be a human camp across the lake.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

If Karkat's basing this on human summer camp romcoms, then there'd have to be a human camp across the lake.

Run by Lususes?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Run by the ancestors. :haw:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
When did Karkat encounter Bro in the main comic, I don't remember the guardians interacting with anyone that much before their murders.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

When did Karkat encounter Bro in the main comic, I don't remember the guardians interacting with anyone that much before their murders.

Given all the stuff that's off about Bro here I'm guessing he's mangling second-hand recollections he heard from Dave. Like, "Big" Cal being a hand puppet.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Acne Rain posted:

Mind you; trollian could view any moment on earth so he probably just e-stalked Dave and peeped his whole life.

Which is infinitely way worse.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Obviously Kanaya became a vampire at last year's camp and now she's excited to share this new existence with her friends.

Ghost Aradia will be helping.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I thought Kanaya's whole thing was a joke off her sign.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Given how analyzed and overanalyzed Homestuck is, I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this theory, but I wanted to lay it out and see if it made sense.

Of the original kids, two, Jade and John have completed their Quests, Jade offscreen. Davesprite completed a quest (and gave up his life in consequence), but Dave did not.

Jade's planet is the Land of Frost and Frogs, and she had to melt the frost to free the frogs. She was offscreen, so we don't know how she did it. She did it before she ascended to god tier.
John has the Land of Wind and Shade, and he had to disperse the shade. To do it, he had to fully comprehend and use his wind power to get rid of the oil; he was already at god tier.

Consider the non-questers. I'm pairing them up according to Karkat's diagram, which I think is plot-significant but very likely not romance-significant. It seems to me that, whatever Rose may think about having outgrown her quest, all the quests are actually still required to finish the Game, not least because talking to the denizen and making the Choice is a critical moment in character development -- see the way Calliope talks about the Choice and its inevitability based on who you are.

Dave is paired with Jade.
Dave has the Land of Heat and Clockwork, so I'm inferring he has to use time to cool the lava. Thus Jade had to melt frost; Dave, her pair, has to cool heat.

Rose is paired with John.
Rose has the Land of Light and Rain, and she's supposed to "play the rain", presumably using the light to do so. If the pattern holds, John had to disperse the clouds; and therefore Rose, his pair, has to bring them together.

Does any of this make sense, or is it an attempt to impose pattern where none exists?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's interesting and has the potential to be true without being overly convoluted or strong-arming canon: this is more than enough to count as a good theory in my eyes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think those are likely to be explicit features of the story, but they're reasonable inferences about the characters and their themes and arcs. It's not even unreasonable to think that the Game may have designed things in some way according to Karkat_shipping_diagram.png since the characters speculated that the relationship style of the players' species might be deliberately incorporated (like expecting the trolls to kill each other). Sburb just didn't really count on Rose and Kanaya meeting and John traveling to an alternate universe so he could bang Dave's Hot Mom.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
John's Quest seemed to require his bizarre continuity powers to complete it, so maybe all the ridiculous bullshit that's happened is still operating within SBURB's normal parameters.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah I think Sburb very much did count on those things happening, along with everything else that's ever happened in this comic

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Skaia doesn't do much but See and Know things.

Also we're assuming that populating the new universe with beings similar to the ones that created it is the point. I'm not certain that such is the case, seeing as even 8 humans isn't enough to create a sustainable population, to say nothing of two of them being explicitly homosexual. Besides, humans populated the universe that the trolls created without any assistance needed, so the new universe will likely be populated by a new species.

I'm betting on Squiddles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well Rose may or may not be bisexual- she never seemed adverse to the idea of dating John, as rarely as that came up.

Dirk is the only human homosexual character of the lot, confirmed anyways. And we have plenty of Dave to make up for him not being in the gene pool.

Though yeah even 7 people wouldn't be enough to repopulate anything. Maybe a Dennies

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

just about everything we 'know' about what happens after winning the game comes from the trolls, who are, of course, completely and 100% accurate in everything they know about the game, what with being so excellent at it and all

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't think the point of the gender balance or any other speculation was so they'd repopulate the universe, just that it's a typical part of coming of age mythology to deal with relationships and Sburb styles itself as a personalized coming of age quest that shapes the growth and maturity of its players.

It's hard to say what the game "intended", anyway, considering Hussie's made up a fair bit of the story on the fly. I think he mentioned he didn't even consider relationships between the players at first since in the early version of the story there were just the four kids, no trolls or alternate universe guardians, so the dating pool seemed a bit dull and perfunctory (something Karkat's shipping diagram is meant to poke fun at).

Regardless, the idea that the game would weave quests or character themes together the way Arsenic Lupin talked about loosely fits with the sort of stuff that goes on in Homestuck. It's only really that Bladekind Eyewear guy who needs to go all crazy about whether his theories and speculation are 100% accurate and predictive models of the story.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The point of the new universe is that you're the gods and goddesses of it, not that you're the Adam and Eve. Beta!Earth wasn't full of trolls, although it was created by and for the trolls. So, yeah, new universe can be populated by nakkodiles or Squiddles or living Smuppets; whoever survives the Game gets to rule the world.

Answer 2: all surviving characters become interfertile, and magic magic science science genetic bottleneck is not a thing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

AriadneThread posted:

just about everything we 'know' about what happens after winning the game comes from the trolls, who are, of course, completely and 100% accurate in everything they know about the game, what with being so excellent at it and all

Yep. Even a lot of stuff in the game, like the idea that the Troll teams were expected to fight each other, or the nature of fate and alternate timelines and whatnot, come from individuals with their own perspectives, biases and agendas.

Like, Vriska had just finished killing Tavros and was pretty bummed out about it. She was trying to rationalize it, turn it from Vriska making a mistake into Vriska behaving as expected, and in fact, wouldn't it be better if everyone killed each other?!

But no, we know that Trolls are not naturally that violent, and uh...

I was going to say that I don't think P-Space would want a bunch of bloodthirsty gods who hate each other ruling over an entire universe, but then I remembered Caliborn exists.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

They have a device that can potentially grab the genetic code from anyone in Earth's history and combine it with anyone else's to produce clone babies. I don't think repopulating the species would be a problem.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rose has the Land of Light and Rain, and she's supposed to "play the rain", presumably using the light to do so. If the pattern holds, John had to disperse the clouds; and therefore Rose, his pair, has to bring them together.

Does any of this make sense, or is it an attempt to impose pattern where none exists?

That's a possibility, but think about what "playing the rain" appears to mean:

quote:

JASPERSPRITE: All the life in the ocean and all the shiny rain and the songs in your head and the letters they make.
JASPERSPRITE: A beam of light i think is like a drop of rain or a long piece of yarn that dances around when you play with it and make it look enticing!
JASPERSPRITE: And the way that it shakes is the same as what makes notes in a song!
JASPERSPRITE: And a song i think can be written down as letters.
JASPERSPRITE: So if you play the right song and it makes all the right letters then those letters could be all the letters that make life possible.
JASPERSPRITE: So all you have to do is wake up and learn to play the rain!

"All the letters that make life possible" probably refers to nucleobases (which was already associated with Jasper through the "MEOW" code that somehow gave Bec his powers). So based on that, it seems that "playing the rain" is a metaphor (or maybe just a magical means) for genetic engineering. Since earlier in that conversation Jaspersprite also mentions that all the ocean life is dead, her task may be to repopulate the ocean.

In other words, she has her own version of Jade's quest, although instead of having to capture frogs it seems like she'll have to find a genetic sequence embedded in the rain and light, and then express it. (Presumably all working through metaphor, though I like the idea of her trying to shortcircuit it by analyzing it with the equipment in her mom's lab--but Jaspersprite's words suggest it's based on motion, on translating the sound of rain falling into a song into a genetic code.)

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Assuming Caliborne becomes Lord English, his purpose is was stated to specifically be a sort of P-space janitor, cleaning up and devouring all the leftover bits of dead-universes. I think it was Doc Scratch who told us this, and in the same conversation didn't he say that Jack Noir's powers were outside of P-Space's control, and that him flying around killing all the Horrorterrors was the real issue?

I don't remember if we know what the purpose of the Horroterrors is, but I imagine it's pretty vital to P-Space. Killing them would seems like big trouble, if not even P-Space can stop it. Doc Scratch was the one who orchestrated the creation of the Green Sun though, which, along with a lot of other stuff would lead to powering up Noir, the nurturing of Caliborn and him becoming Lord English, so this really is Doc Scratch's fault when you get down to it.

I do wonder if Lord English is more a position, or title, than an actual person though. Since LE has a specific role designated by P-Space, maybe the problem isn't LE existing, but rather LE being Caliborn. Since Doc Scratch serves Caliborn and went on to orchestrate this whole mess. Maybe if Lord English wasn't some dumbass emotionally stunted kid, with an omnipotent and omniscient puppet as his right-hand man, maybe things would have turned out alright.

But if I'm remembering right, we've seen the Calliope that "won" but nothing really came of it? Did she even play Sburb? Maybe the goal is to get Calliope and Caliborne into the Sburb game, win the game, get the authorial powers, become Lord English, but still grow up naturally into a non-stunted emotionally stable and well adjusted Cherub along the way.

Seems fitting, for a coming of age story, for the villain to be a kid who never grew up, and the solution being having them growing up.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 22, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Davinci posted:

Assuming Caliborne becomes Lord English, his purpose is was stated to specifically be a sort of P-space janitor, cleaning up and devouring all the leftover bits of dead-universes. I think it was Doc Scratch who told us this, and in the same conversation didn't he say that Jack Noir's powers were outside of P-Space's control, and that him flying around killing all the Horrorterrors was the real issue?

I don't remember if we know what the purpose of the Horroterrors is, but I imagine it's pretty vital to P-Space. Killing them would seems like big trouble, if not even P-Space can stop it. Doc Scratch was the one who orchestrated the creation of the Green Sun though, which, along with a lot of other stuff would lead to powering up Noir, the nurturing of Caliborn and him becoming Lord English, so this really is Doc Scratch's fault when you get down to it.

I do wonder if Lord English is more a position, or title, than an actual person though. Since LE has a specific role designated by P-Space, maybe the problem isn't LE existing, but rather LE being Caliborn. Since Doc Scratch serves Caliborn and went on to orchestrate this whole mess. Maybe if Lord English wasn't some dumbass emotionally stunted kid, with an omnipotent and omniscient puppet as his right-hand man, maybe things would have turned out alright.

But if I'm remembering right, we've seen the Calliope that "won" but nothing really came of it? Did she even play Sburb? Maybe the goal is to get Calliope and Caliborne into the Sburb game, win the game, get the authorial powers, become Lord English, but still grow up naturally into a non-stunted emotionally stable and well adjusted Cherub along the way.

Seems fitting, for a coming of age story, for the villain to be a kid who never grew up, and the solution being having them growing up.

Well, basically Doc claimed that Lord English was 'sanctioned' by Paradox Space, while Bec Noir was not. That's about it, and could mean a great many things.

actually here's the full quote

quote:

But the danger he poses is sanctioned by paradox space.
It is a known quantity. His very existence in a universe will mean it will inevitably be torn apart.
But there are rules to his entry, and his grim procession through paradox space is rather orderly. The present equilibrium has accounted for him, and will continue to.

I don't think it necessarily follows that a "Lord English" is a role or being that must exist or that PSpace desires to exist, just that there are rules to his behaviour. Keep in mind Scratch speaks in half-truths and omissions. Knowing that leaving food on the floor is how you get ants doesn't mean that if I do leave food on the floor I desire the ants, or that I want them to stick around, just that permanently getting rid of them is quite a bit of trouble.

Also, where does everyone keep getting the idea that Lord English eats the universes he enters? Nowhere was it stated, or even implied that was the case and we've seen what he does with universes he enters and destroys . Sorry, just like, a pet peeve of mine I guess?

I do think you're pretty spot on about the end-game though. It may not be a reunification of Calliope and Caliborn or whatever, but yeah the main villain being the most childish of all the characters is a uh, thematic bullseye.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 22, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Remember that "sanction" is an autoantonym.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

What is an auto ant.

Is it like a robot ant?

edit: :aaa:

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 22, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Given how analyzed and overanalyzed Homestuck is, I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this theory, but I wanted to lay it out and see if it made sense.

Of the original kids, two, Jade and John have completed their Quests, Jade offscreen. Davesprite completed a quest (and gave up his life in consequence), but Dave did not.

Jade's planet is the Land of Frost and Frogs, and she had to melt the frost to free the frogs. She was offscreen, so we don't know how she did it. She did it before she ascended to god tier.
John has the Land of Wind and Shade, and he had to disperse the shade. To do it, he had to fully comprehend and use his wind power to get rid of the oil; he was already at god tier.

Consider the non-questers. I'm pairing them up according to Karkat's diagram, which I think is plot-significant but very likely not romance-significant. It seems to me that, whatever Rose may think about having outgrown her quest, all the quests are actually still required to finish the Game, not least because talking to the denizen and making the Choice is a critical moment in character development -- see the way Calliope talks about the Choice and its inevitability based on who you are.

Dave is paired with Jade.
Dave has the Land of Heat and Clockwork, so I'm inferring he has to use time to cool the lava. Thus Jade had to melt frost; Dave, her pair, has to cool heat.

Rose is paired with John.

Davesprite completed Dave's quest. That's how he got that sword, remember?

The only kid who's quest hasn't been completed is Rose.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bongo Bill posted:

Took me a minute to get this but holy crap. I hope this turns out to be an actual thing. Seems just like the kind of poo poo Doc Scratch would pull.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Davesprite completed Dave's quest. That's how he got that sword, remember?

The only kid who's quest hasn't been completed is Rose.

That wasn't Dave's quest, though. That was Davesprite's quest. The quest changes depending on the person doing it, as well as when they do it and what they want from it. If you'll recall, the John from Davesprite's timeline was also given a quest, to die at the hands of his Denizen and trigger Dave's transformation into Davesprite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zoe posted:

Took me a minute to get this but holy crap. I hope this turns out to be an actual thing. Seems just like the kind of poo poo Doc Scratch would pull.

haa haa hee hee hoo hoo

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Zoe posted:

I suspect it was, since cherubs "weren't supposed to play the game"

Also, it's certainly Lordly to wreck poo poo wherever one goes, but cleaning up everything would be beneath him.

You'd want a Maid for that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought it was pretty settled that Lord English has a place in Paradox Space because he has the reality-writing powers to give himself one.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I thought it was pretty settled that Lord English has a place in Paradox Space because he has the reality-writing powers to give himself one.

Same, I thought he used the Sburb-logo-shaped literal plot hole to forcefully make Paradox Space sanction him. He wasn't sanctioned until he always had been.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Carrasco posted:

In other words, she has her own version of Jade's quest, although instead of having to capture frogs it seems like she'll have to find a genetic sequence embedded in the rain and light, and then express it. (Presumably all working through metaphor, though I like the idea of her trying to shortcircuit it by analyzing it with the equipment in her mom's lab--but Jaspersprite's words suggest it's based on motion, on translating the sound of rain falling into a song into a genetic code.)

Genius.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Davinci posted:

Noir wasn't the one killing the Horrorterrors though, that was Lord English. They were getting caught up in his destruction of spacetime every time he destroyed a dream bubble.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Dave hasn't completed his quest. Nor, for that matter, has Jade. At least, not until the Universal Frog is in its place in the current session. I expect there'll be more quest plots once everyone is alive again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Just saw a post on tumblr that was wondering about what happened to Jane's sprite if Vriska's body isn't available any longer to prototype with. Sorta interested in what would Jane use for the second prototyping, since John Poppop's body is floating in space.