Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

drunkill posted:

THe Australian International Airshow is on next weekend at Avalon airport.

Saw a picture from the RAAF rouletts training today pop up:

The USAF is doing a B52 flyby. Guam to Melbourne back to Guam for a presumably ~5 minute flyby. 5,700Km x2. US tax dollars at work! I'm not going but perhaps I'll head into the city and hope for a glimpse.
http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/PUBLIC/aircraft-display/military-aircraft.asp

drat the B52 flyby is on Friday so I won't be able to see it :(

Should still be a good day out, haven't been there in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Last time I saw a low level B52 it was running water injection, so I doubt any modern flyby could be anything other than a letdown to my memories, tbh.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Seeing a full-burn B1-B flyover at about 75-100 feet and mach .98 or so has ruined me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I saw a B-52 do a high-speed, low-level pass once. The guy must have been sharp; I mean, real sharp. He barreled that thing in so low and so fast that he fried all the chickens in the barnyard!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some photos from Steve Baker, raaf pilot and leader of the roulettes (display team) with some of his photos over the city two years ago for the last airshow.

I just saw two Fa-18s and a c130 doing a photoshoot over the city, so perhaps some nice photos from that soon

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

:lol: at the New Zealand contribution. "Who wants to take the company plane for a weekend trip to Melbourne?"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Austria is flatter than I had expected.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

even if I'd imagine a fully-spooled BUFF beats a classic or Super Hornet for noise any day of the week.

They go right over I-20 at a couple hundred feet on takeoff/landing. If you happen to be driving by at just the right time, yeah, it's insanely loud.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mlmp08 posted:

Seeing a full-burn B1-B flyover at about 75-100 feet and mach .98 or so has ruined me.

How badly did you want to shoot it down?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

How badly did you want to shoot it down?

I grew up seeing vulcans* do the same every day of my childhood, and I can honestly say there was only once I remember wanting to shoot any of them down

* And F4s (-K, -M and -Gs), FB111s, A10s, F15s, Harriers, Buccaneers and occasionally B52s and F104Gs (when the luftwaffe came out to play)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SybilVimes posted:

I grew up seeing vulcans* do the same every day of my childhood, and I can honestly say there was only once I remember wanting to shoot any of them down

yeah but suppose for a second a poster in this thread was regularly in a position where they actually could...

that would perhaps be :thejoke:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The rest of the flight crew was probably a bunch of pussies telling him to pull up too.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Why do people keep doing this?

You never see F16-A

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Even the newspaper does it (B1-B) I noticed today, which is odd because they usually get technical details wrong.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In newspapers it's supposed to be spelled "BONE" so it's still wrong:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love Melbourne so much. Haven't been since May.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Groda posted:

You never see F16-A

Brainfart. I know better. But yeah it doesn't jump out as totally dumb as quickly as it does for a fighter.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A MITO drill in the middle of the day is somewhat dismissible, and would likely be reported in advance by the local TV and radio news stations. A MITO takeoff happening in the middle of the night/early morning is cause for a pucker factor check.
Back in the SAC days they did Operational Readiness Inspections at any time of any day, and probably did full on MITO scrambles under the silent gaze of CINCSAC. I imagine you'd never really know if it's For Real or not (unless you hear air-raid sirens in "this is real" mode).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

phongn posted:

Back in the SAC days they did Operational Readiness Inspections at any time of any day, and probably did full on MITO scrambles under the silent gaze of CINCSAC. I imagine you'd never really know if it's For Real or not (unless you hear air-raid sirens in "this is real" mode).

The air raid sirens did go off in "this is real" mode during the cold war, it was close many times. My grandfather was stationed at Elmendorf during the Cuban Missile crisis. During the DEFCON 2 period they lost all communications with the lower 48 at one point. Full alert, scramble, families sent to safe haven away from the base, everything.

I did always wonder about the "send all the women and children into inland Alaska" thing, nuclear hellfire would be preferable to starvation/hypothermia after Anchorage was nuked.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I remember a B-1 flying over the crowd with full afterburner at an air show I went to. Still the loudest thing I've ever heard.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Luneshot posted:

I remember a B-1 flying over the crowd with full afterburner at an air show I went to. Still the loudest thing I've ever heard.

The viggen is the loudest I've heard, louder than anything US or UK, vulcan included.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Man I hope thy do something stupid like replace the 16s/18s of the TBirds/Blue Angels with 35s, just because at the Chicago Air Show I have access to a roof that is just off show center, so when they tend to merge and such one likes to pass right over my head. The B1 always set the bar, but hopefully the F135 makes it good for something: ear damage.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 20, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Groda posted:

You never see F16-A

What, is it like the (proper use of) Jr. and Sr.? While Dad is alive he's [name] and his son is [name Jr.], but when dad dies, the son becomes [name] and dad, God rest his soul, is [name Sr.]

I suppose, to continue the analogy, the Bone is like Dale Earnhardt, continuing to use the Jr. even when it's no longer necessary -- he's the only Dale now, goddammit!

phongn posted:

I imagine you'd never really know if it's For Real or not (unless you hear air-raid sirens in "this is real" mode).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they scheduled the random drills to not be on the day they test the air raid sirens.

In similar news, I saw a two-ship taking off closely spaced last week, sadly didn't have the camera at hand.
:j: "Is that a B-52 or an airliner?"
:science: "BUFF. See how it's climbing but the nose isn't pointed up? That's because-- oh, there goes another one."

When I read the post about the MITO drill I had to check the date to make sure I didn't just miss it.

SybilVimes posted:

The viggen is the loudest I've heard, louder than anything US or UK, vulcan included.
One of my fondest childhood memories is of an airshow we went to when I was 8, back when the local airport hosted them. An F-14 made a low transonic pass with full afterburner, and I distinctly remember hearing it approach, but it was outrunning its exhaust -- a thin whine as it grew from a speck, and then an earthshaking roar as it passed.

A B-52 flying over your head on short final, on the other hand, sneaks up on you and then sounds like you're standing six feet from a concrete saw -- this video with the volume maxed out and good headphones gets pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03XbV5iPvQY

Apparently I didn't post my photo of a BUFF up close in this thread?

That's the one with the noise I'm talking about. And it was landing. For a second I seriously thought the car had caught fire and was about to explode, GTA-style, until I saw it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I remember attending the Willow Grove Air Show back in the late 80s and I got to see a C-130 do a JATO. That was the loudest thing I've ever heard.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Harrier hovering at an air show was my loudest, but I'm not sure if it was actually that much louder, or just felt like it was because it was hovering for a minute or two and not just flying overhead.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Slo-Tek posted:

I really hope they manage to plow all the money into this foolishness, then get disallowed by the DMV preferably after they have already paid to haul the thing at least to Vegas. Desperately unimaginative.

Jokes on you when instead of trucking it from Mojave to Gerlock they actually hook up a dirigible to the top and fly it there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there any kind of joint force exercises going on right now? I may or may not have seen several flights of euro fighters over the past couple of days.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

fknlo posted:

Is there any kind of joint force exercises going on right now? I may or may not have seen several flights of euro fighters over the past couple of days.

Weird. 3 f18 landed at San Antonio last night as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Where?

Edit: normally they wouldn't bring more than 8 fighters, probably less.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
B-52s are just about my favorite thing ever.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

B-52s are just about my favorite thing ever.

Love Shack or Rock Lobster?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mazz posted:

Man I hope thy do something stupid like replace the 16s/18s of the TBirds/Blue Angels with 35s, just because at the Chicago Air Show I have access to a roof that is just off show center, so when they tend to merge and such one likes to pass right over my head. The B1 always set the bar, but hopefully the F135 makes it good for something: ear damage.

Hello, I'm your new friend from Wrigleyville.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Where?

Edit: normally they wouldn't bring more than 8 fighters, probably less.

Flying across southern Illinois. Had a group of 4 break up with their tanker yesterday and the same today. May have been the same group, but was still a first for me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mazz posted:

Man I hope thy do something stupid like replace the 16s/18s of the TBirds/Blue Angels with 35s

I was wondering about that a while ago. Once they start retiring the Hornet, they won't have any other options unless whatever comes after the F-35 has had enough time to get established in the fleet as well. At least the Thunderbirds could theoretically switch to some older F-22's when the F-16 retires.

I also can't wait to see an F-35 painted blue and gold.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wonder what the radar return of blue and gold paint would be on a F-22.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

D C posted:

Love Shack or Rock Lobster?

:razz:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I see Thunderbirds/Blue Angels going back into trainers far more likely than getting into -22s or -35s. Blue and gold T-45s would look pretty sharp I think. What's the USAFs advanced trainer these days?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Still the T-38 I think

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Mazz posted:

Man I hope thy do something stupid like replace the 16s/18s of the TBirds/Blue Angels with 35s

The sad part will be 50 years in the future with traditionally-piloted aerobatic teams performing their thing safely while various drone/UAV craft zip around and pull maneuvers that would rip apart a human being. And if one of the robots slams into the pavement or nearby river, nobody has to have a serious and unexpected talk with their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Now I wish I could photoshop a formation of Reapers in Thunderbirds livery.

Edit: And Global Hawks in blue and gold.