Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hope that an eventual feature of this game is way to either tailor your weapons/mutations based on some kind of challenge set. Something like a game mode where can only use a single weapon type (bullet, melee lighting, etc) and the game weights that when determining enemies and levels. I also wonder if they'd ever include pre-made levels and a level editor.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the grenade launcher, the very first explosive weapon you get, is also the best and perhaps only good explosive weapon (not counting non explosive weapons that use the ammo type, flamer thrower, flare gun (can that hurt you?), jack hammer. It seems like every time I see a grenade rifle, cluster bomb, toxic launcher, bazooka, nuke launcher, I just pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Grenade rifle and cluster launcher are really good though. So are grenade shotgun and blood launcher and gatling bazooka.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

IronicDongz posted:

Grenade rifle and cluster launcher are really good though. So are grenade shotgun and blood launcher and gatling bazooka.

Gatling bazooka is a fantastic way to kill yourself, I never feel I get enough omph out of grenade rifle, and can you hurt yourself with a blood launcher? If not, I'd throw it in the category of "guns that use bomb ammo that I'm not complaining about".

Edit: good points on Gatling bazooka being a very good way to deal lots of damage to an area/the throne quickly as long as you're careful.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You cannot hurt yourself with blood launcher and it destroys projectiles. It rules.

Also gatling bazooka is only bad if you don't pay attention to how fast you're shooting, and it's one of the best weapons for killing the throne.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

The regular/golden bazooka is pretty good, I stay away from the gatling one though.

Sticky launcher is also good, it makes huge explosions and does a lot of damage, I think the explosion size is 2nd only to the nuke. You really need boiling veins though. Nuke launcher is also good if you have boiling veins.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I specialize with energy and bolt weapons in every one of my daily runs because when you loop the game, you will often have a nonstop stream of shield cops that have as much health as walker robots and that's pretty much the most annoying poo poo ever

Also, YV is the only character that can use the gatling bazooka 100% safely. No prizes for guessing why.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, I just remembered a fun thing I did recently: try playing as Melting, ignore rhino skin, and get both Strong Spirit and Bloodlust.
You'll be able to take any hit without dying as long as you survive long enough for bloodlust to proc and bring you back up to your max of 2 HP, recharging strong spirit every time. Makes you really resistant to strong attacks and taking damage in general as long as you have a slight amount of time in between hits to kill enemies(which sharp teeth helps with).

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I specialize with energy and bolt weapons in every one of my daily runs because when you loop the game, you will often have a nonstop stream of shield cops that have as much health as walker robots and that's pretty much the most annoying poo poo ever

Also, YV is the only character that can use the gatling bazooka 100% safely. No prizes for guessing why.

Just one warning about this, lightning cannons are great for looping, but dont let the big lightning ball hit the shields. Turns out they can be reflected, and they hurt.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Playing a lot of chicken and eyes has really gotten me into melee weapons, a lucky shovel or hammer can carry me all the way to Lil hunter and then an energy weapon can get me the rest of the way, especially if I can pick up laser brain.
I want to try a blood hammer but they never drop when I'm lucky enough to get that far.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'd like to see some characters that maybe specialize in certain kinds of weapons, like bullet or bolt. I'm not sure how it would work but it could be interesting to have characters that tend toward a certain "build" right from the start, while I usually just always go for the same set of mutations on the current characters (if possible I will always get plutonium hunger, bloodlust, rabbit paw, strong back, second stomach and strong spirit).

Broken Cog posted:

Yo, I'd just like to pop in and say that Horror is the best and cutest character in the game.

Counterpoint: Rebel.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it's good that, minus rhino skin on melting and throne butt on a couple characters, characters generally don't slant towards certain mutations more heavily. Especially weapons mutations. That way everyone has their own favorite mutations and different people will go for different builds instead of always taking X things on Y character. ex: after back muscle, my favorite mutations to get are always recycle gland+eagle eyes so I can go nuts with high tier bullet weapons.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Is there any use for eyes' projectile style ultra mutation? It's incredibly lame whenever I try it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's amazingly overpowered if you get a gun that shoots an orb type projectile, because you can just hold it right on top of yourself and then blitzkrieg right into enemies and never ever die.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ster did a lightning cannon run with eyes' projectile style where his ring of lightning orbs just electrocuted anything that came on screen :haw:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

It's always better to play slowly -- this is why Plutonium Hunger is one of the best mutations in the game since you can still be really cautious picking people off with the cross bow or ducking around corners, but still suck up them rads.

Thanks Internet posted:

Yeah, ultimately what's going to determine how effectively you can kill enemies is your weapons, and those don't fade. You'll end up dying more often because you got over aggressive trying to pick up rads than you will because you didn't have a specific upgrade.

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, getting levels is not actually nearly as important as it seems.

I feel like learning how to play nuclear throne well is first learning when to be patient, and then learning when to just go nuts.

These guys are playing the game wrong. Pick Fish, roll around, never save for the big weapon crate, gotta go fast :getin:

I'd like enemies to be nerfed somewhat in excange for more open level gen, stage 3 slows the pace way down and forces you to stand behind cover more often than not and stage 5 is even worse.

vvvv Yeah, gently caress fire traps

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 16, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd be 100% okay with it if that meant no fire traps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

From what I read on the "planned features" page on the wiki, only world 1 is considered mostly done and everything else will probably see a lot of change later on. Hopefully they can make worlds 3 and 5 in particular less obnoxious (although world 7 has big problems with getting ganked right out of the gate too because of the cops, which themselves need some major changes in my opinion).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've been trying out a personal challenge. I have a golden shotgun so I'll always start with it, so I'm seeing how far I can get with the shotgun only and no other weapons. I've been using Rebel so I can take advantage of portal heals and I like to take Extra Foot and Eagle Eye on top of the usual longevity mutations, and Shotgun Fingers just makes it ridiculous. So far I can make it to Lil Hunter, but that's about as far as I usually get even with two guns. The shotgun is good and extremely efficient.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I used to poo-poo the shotgun, but it's great and really ammo efficient in the early levels. By the time I hit the crystal caves I usually want a double-shotgun or better though.

Managed to loop the first time with the Rebel! Man, her portal heal is so good and really highlights how garbage I am at dodging shots. Cleared the throne with a combination of a plasma gun and a sticky launcher, went through the portal and instantly ate it due to a horror spawning in :toot:. Dang if looping back to the campfire isn't dark as hell though.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
My mind has been tainted by temptations to play Steroids and now I have completely forgotten to play Plant and haven't looped in weeks. Why did I ever abandon you, Plant?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RealSovietBear posted:

My mind has been tainted by temptations to play Steroids and now I have completely forgotten to play Plant and haven't looped in weeks. Why did I ever abandon you, Plant?

The more I play random the more I realize every character is really good except Eyes who is poo poo.

I was pretty down on Rogue because I thought his passive was lovely for the huge disadvantage of idpd spawns from level one and the minor one of no rad canisters, but then I realized the rogue rifle's fire rate is hilariously high and throne butt portal strike is like the angry fist of god.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rogue is the only character who I will unconditionally restart immediately if I get her from random. I hate cop enemies and shields are one of the most obnoxious things in the game so rogue is just ugh.

Fish has a nice passive bonus unlike rogue, but his active ability seems incredibly pointless. You can move fast in a single direction for a very short amount of time as fish, or move fast in any direction all the time as plant.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Eye is top tier man! Telekinesis is really good.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'd love it if Rogue's disadvantage guaranteed no Shield Cops. Like, double the amount of cops per level, just no Shields.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't know why, but I always seem to do better on average with Eyes than anyone else. His abilities aren't even that good, so it makes no sense.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 20, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Broken Cog posted:

I don't know why, but I almost seem to do better on average with Eyes than anyone else. His abilities aren't even that good, so it makes no sense.

His ability is super good. The key to playing Eyes is to actually stay away from enemies, because as soon as you're far enough away to not pull in any enemies (that you can't kill immediately, anyway) then he has the best defensive ability in the game, outclassing Crystal by quite a bit. There are situations where you want to pull enemies closer, but the key to doing well as him is figuring out how to stay at an optimal distance.

The top tier of characters as I figure would be:
Eyes
Plant
Rebel

Horror might belong in there too, but I haven't gotten any ultra mutations on him, and I'm always super thrifty with his beam while leveling.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 20, 2015

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I will always play Steroids because shooting two guns at once is more fun than one gun.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RealSovietBear posted:

I'd love it if Rogue's disadvantage guaranteed no Shield Cops. Like, double the amount of cops per level, just no Shields.

As long as we're going down with the idea of doubling down, how 'bout more IDPD ammo chests instead?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Shabadu posted:

I will always play Y.V. because airhorn.wav is more fun than anything else.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
IMO every character has something suitably fun and unique. Melting and Rebel both capture the fun of playing Necromancer in Diablo 2. Steroids owns because you get to shoot two guns at once. YV has lots of personality and gets airhorn.wav. Horror is the only character that gets three weapons at once. Crystal is the ideal defensive character and I like to test out new weapons and builds with Fish because you almost always have the ammo to experiment.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Fish has the best throne butt

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
All the characters are pretty good and fun except for Chicken.

Horror is probably still OP, and rebel has always been second best behind him. You can straightup beat the game with nothing but allies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Before Chicken's changes I played mainly her and and consistently got farther than with anyone else

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Chicken was fun until they nerfed her slomo attack speed. She feels really slow and boring now, instead of like a badass ninja Neo bird.

Steroids owns.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay I'll give Eyes a try, I just really hate him sucking poo poo into me, especially bad with stuff like palace dogs and those charging robots in the snow.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Read my tips posted earlier for some help (i suck at this game so take it with a grain of salt):

Samopsa posted:

Eyes is prob. my favorite character now besides the weak ultra mutations. How to use? Just hold right mouse always basically, and go for a melee weapon. By moving enemies you can sometimes double hit which is great, and enemy attacks get confused by the movement (very helpful for assassins imo). It also pushes away bullets which is nice, and you don't really need plutonium hunger. When you have his throne but the attraction is insane so you need to be more careful. Euphoria synergises well by slowing the bullets down; euphoria+throne but basically makes you Neo.

My favorite strategy is standing behind a wall/corner/nook and use telekinesis to pull enemies close and then hit them with a melee weapon through the wall. The Shovel is the best basic melee weapon imo up till the scrapyard, and up to the palace with scarier face. It has the triple hit and is faster compared to the sledgehammer. The wrench is too weak after the sewers, the jackhammer does not have enough range for my taste and the sledgehammer is good but slow which can lead to unnecessary damage. Of course, your ideal weapon is the energy sword or the energy hammer, although the sword is probably the best weapon in the game anyway.

By playing slow with eyes and just camping corners and pulling in enemies I consistently get to big dog. He is a difficult boss for eyes because you really want to hold right mouse to keep the bullets away, but you do not want to attract the missiles or big dog himself. It's a balancing act! After that the crystal caves/ice levels are quite dangerous as well, charging enemies + telekinesis is also very very dangerous. Try to use it when you are safely behind a wall is my advice.

For the throne it's really good if you have a rapid-fire weapon to create knockback. Last time I had a gatling slugger + heavy machinegun. I just stood in front of the throne, held both RMB and LMB and won without moving.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shine posted:

Chicken was fun until they nerfed her slomo attack speed. She feels really slow and boring now, instead of like a badass ninja Neo bird.

Steroids owns.

It's pretty bad right now, because Chicken is probably still the most intensely overpowered character, but is very boring to play now that her special ability is basically just a defensive godmode cheat. If you combine it with slower enemy bullets and throne butt and play as a ranged build, there is literally no one safer to play, plus you even get a multiple-use cheat death. You won't really feel the loss of slowmo attack speed unless you're using a melee weapon or something that fires slow like a heavy crossbow. If you play with bullet weapons, non-Heavy crossbows, laser pistols, etc. playing Chicken right now is a walk in the park compared to every other character, except it's boring because it's just the normal game played with enemies/bullets moving at half speed or slower.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I've been playing Horror for a few days and he's absolutely hilariously good.

The active is amazing on loops with Ultra A.

Ultra A - enemies release rad beams when they die. The rad beams do 1 damage and the number of beams released is based on the number of rads enemies drop.

The key is that enemies drop more rads when they've been hit by the active - so you an just spam the right click at large groups and release waves of radiation that wreck everything. Really cleans up a lot of the smaller enemies like the freaks and rats on loops.

Plus, of course, the active makes the various boss fights pretty simple.

Plant and Melting also both have pretty good "loop" crowd control abilities. Plant's is a little more awkward but really helps on the boss, while Melting's braindead right clicking but nothing for the bosses.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think instead of taking away the attack speed during Chicken's slowmo they should have just put a little recharge meter on slowmo so it's a resource you can use to make a big play but it's finite so you could plan around it accordingly. I guess WoW Rogues' energy bar is a popular analogy, just something that drains and comes back fairly quickly but doesn't last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

I think instead of taking away the attack speed during Chicken's slowmo they should have just put a little recharge meter on slowmo so it's a resource you can use to make a big play but it's finite so you could plan around it accordingly. I guess WoW Rogues' energy bar is a popular analogy, just something that drains and comes back fairly quickly but doesn't last forever.
This would be great -- I like chicken's slowmo, but it feels really weird how it works within a bubble around the Chicken rather than affecting the full screen. If the devs don't want to clutter the screen up with more elements it could be once per level, recharging when you open a radiation canister.

While I'm here, I'M PUMPED for more upgrades. I spitballed a second set of weapon upgrades like a nerd yesterday

Explosive : Explosions leave a temporary damage field that only damages enemies.
Shotgun : All shotgun weapons fire additional shells with additional spread.
Energy : Beams and plasma bounce off walls once. Extends range of lightning weapons.
Bullet : Increases knockback and speed of bullets.
Bolt : Bolts always pierce.
Melee : Gain a moment of invulnerability when you swing your weapon (eg. to explosions, beams, and bolts)

• Locked thread