Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Seems like they could give people 15 dollars in store credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Seems like they could give people 15 dollars in store credit

Because a completely unrelated union is on strike? Sure, makes total sense.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Or just drop that really stupid requirement and just charge a flat fee like my flgs did

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Or, if it's going to happen after the 26th, you could all just get a Scum ship.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The Gate posted:

Because a completely unrelated union is on strike? Sure, makes total sense.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or just drop that really stupid requirement and just charge a flat fee like my flgs did

I'm saying they charge $15 now, and you still get your ship when they get in stock.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is that store that requires a buy-in one of the compleat strategist stores? They always did that and I never minded the fee since that firmly puts it at Amazon/MM territory plus entry fee.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are stores doing tournament buy ins at greater than $5? Even at the entry price for FFG tournament packs, relatively high, that's pretty ridiculous.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Why are stores doing tournament buy ins at greater than $5? Even at the entry price for FFG tournament packs, relatively high, that's pretty ridiculous.

You get a ship with it. It's a decent way to subsidize products for players and still sell them. See the popularity of magic drafts alongside constructed tournaments.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

You get a ship with it. It's a decent way to subsidize products for players and still sell them. See the popularity of magic drafts alongside constructed tournaments.

I get the concept behind it but Magic drafts are completely different then a miniatures game. Buying blind packs of cards is pretty different from buying a mini with known stats and cards.

EDIT: The normal buy in for X-Wing is tokens and possibly alternate art cards so I don't see why players have to go the extra mile for minis they may have or may not want.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 19, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, it's so much less weird when the thing you're buying has a much greater chance of being absolute poo poo than being worth it, but when you already know what's in the pack it's a rip off. :jerkbag:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

Yeah, it's so much less weird when the thing you're buying has a much greater chance of being absolute poo poo than being worth it, but when you already know what's in the pack it's a rip off. :jerkbag:

Yes, it's pretty dumb to want to pay $5, get some tokens, and possibly win some alternate art cards instead of buying another mini the store can't sell and you don't want because you have 1-2 of it already and you don't want to run a 3 HWK-290 list.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All of the stores around here (and I do mean all, not just a couple) have the entry fee at $10. Also:

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm saying they charge $15 now, and you still get your ship when they get in stock.

But I guess you could buy that HWK that would really annoy you just so you could argue about it? :shrug:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I get the concept behind it but Magic drafts are completely different then a miniatures game. Buying blind packs of cards is pretty different from buying a mini with known normal stats and cards.

EDIT: The normal buy in for X-Wing is tokens and possibly alternate art cards so I don't see why players have to go the extra mile for minis they may have or may not want.

Statistically the normal buy in is for subsidizing tokens for people who are better at the game than you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This is some really interesting stuff on wave 6

That kavil setup with engine upgrade, autoblaster turret, PtL and unhinged :stare:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Emon with Andrasta, three Proxmity Mines, and EI can drop two mines on his activation.

If you have someone with Squad Leader, you can drop three.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tekopo posted:

That kavil setup with engine upgrade, autoblaster turret, PtL and unhinged :stare:

Good god, what have they done to their website?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

Kavil with VI plus the Blaster Turret and the R4 Agromech as well. Spend focus to fire turret, get a lock on the target, roll 4 dice at range 1-2. Not as agile since you lack the Unhinged, but you also don't get stressed as easily and move late so arc dodgers don't have such an easy time doing their thing.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

jivjov posted:

Good god, what have they done to their website?

Yeah, that's...worse than the old site. Which is sayin' something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeah, that's...worse than the old site. Which is sayin' something.

At least you can turn the dark gray color scheme back on in the forum section.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Welp, guess I'm going to the Aldershot regional championship in May. :suicide:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Welp, guess I'm going to the Aldershot regional championship in May. :suicide:
same

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Don't "same" me, it's your loving fault! :v:

Let's hope S&V fucks the meta up enough that Phantom + Decimator is no longer the must-fly list for Imps.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

:v:

If any of you are on the fence regarding attending tourneys or not, I would strongly suggest you try attending at least one. The two I've gone to so far have been a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed them. Anyone else attending regionals this year? Our national is fully booked so it seems unlikely I'll be able to attend it (unless I do exceptionally well at the regional).

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Tekopo posted:

:v:

If any of you are on the fence regarding attending tourneys or not, I would strongly suggest you try attending at least one. The two I've gone to so far have been a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed them. Anyone else attending regionals this year? Our national is fully booked so it seems unlikely I'll be able to attend it (unless I do exceptionally well at the regional).

My current tournament record is 1-2, 0-1, and 2-2. So, positive trend line :P !

Have Regionals been posted yet? I'm sure there'll be one in Seattle, but haven't heard the date yet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

susan posted:

My current tournament record is 1-2, 0-1, and 2-2. So, positive trend line :P !

Have Regionals been posted yet? I'm sure there'll be one in Seattle, but haven't heard the date yet.
I think they have: I remember seeing a list of UK regionals (even the national has been announced here in the UK, but the tickets sold out fast).

My current tournament record is 2-3, 4-2. I was definitely happy to see the improvement and in the second tourney I was very close to make the cut of 8.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My first tournament was 0-5 with 3 players rules lawyering me to the extent that I just gave up wanting to play the game at all. :/

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
How do you even rules lawyer in this game? The rules are pretty tight, and there's not all that many of them really.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nerds find a way, I'm sure.

My one and only experience with miniatures tournaments was five years ago at a Star Wars Miniatures tourney, being hassled by a guy who insisted on using his AT-AT against my buddy and I. After the store owner allowed it and he stomped us in a grueling game that made me want to sell everything I had, he accused us of stealing his Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter and tried to have the store owner call the cops. I haven't set foot in a dedicated game store since.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Phrosphor posted:

My first tournament was 0-5 with 3 players rules lawyering me to the extent that I just gave up wanting to play the game at all. :/

Care to elaborate? If they were just holding you to the rules of the game and preventing you from doing things that technically aren't allowed, that's just how tournaments play. Even nice players don't want to loser because someone is gaining an advantage, intentional or not, from playing incorrectly.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Care to elaborate? If they were just holding you to the rules of the game and preventing you from doing things that technically aren't allowed, that's just how tournaments play. Even nice players don't want to loser because someone is gaining an advantage, intentional or not, from playing incorrectly.

This. Explaining the rules of the game to a new player isn't Rules Lawyering.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rules? But I just want to fly my little space ships around at a tournament while I make engine sounds and go pew pew pew! gently caress this game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just found like everything in stock at a B&N in Vegas and got an awing for $13.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Amazon just shipped my Most Wanted, and I promptly dropped another $80 on getting one of each of the other Scum releases. :negative:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Can anyone confirm if there is only a single Hot Shot Blaster in the Most Wanted pack? I mean, the IG-2000 also appears to have it, but it's still a lot to spend if you want to deck out your guys with HSBs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Lunatic Pathos posted:

There were a couple of opponents who wouldn't speak to me except to point out when I did something against the rules or to say what they were doing after I prompted them. I was in the tournament as a sub as several people couldn't make it and I had been convinced to play as it would be fun. Obviously that £20 gift voucher and tie bomber alt art card meant the losers bracket was super serious business that we can't have fun at. I forgot an A-Wing Test Pilot card and nobody would lend me one, so I had to run my list without it, and the other Elite title it gave. The whole thing just left a sour taste in my mouth.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I'm trying to strip a Lambda and a Slave 1. Simple Green soaking for 3 days with a toothbrush scrub did nothing on Slave 1 and removed only some of the wash on the lambda. Since this is the only method I've ever used, what do you guys recommend?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

There were a couple of opponents who wouldn't speak to me except to point out when I did something against the rules or to say what they were doing after I prompted them. I was in the tournament as a sub as several people couldn't make it and I had been convinced to play as it would be fun. Obviously that £20 gift voucher and tie bomber alt art card meant the losers bracket was super serious business that we can't have fun at. I forgot an A-Wing Test Pilot card and nobody would lend me one, so I had to run my list without it, and the other Elite title it gave. The whole thing just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Sounds less like 'Rules Lawyers'** and more like 'Dicks'. Or, at least, 'Wet Blankets'. Can't dodge 'em all, but in my experience the Warm Fluffy Blankets in the tournament scenes outnumber the Wet ones by a factor of 6:1 at least, usually much much higher.

**Sorry for being pedantic, but as a person who both plays in tournaments and understands rules of the games I play, I do get annoyed at this phrase. And yes, I get the phrase originated in the GW-style games where rules are legit unclear and interpretation and argumentation were and are a part of the tournament scene, and in this respect the 'Lawyering' of games gets a bad rap. But those games ain't this game. These rules are clear and understandable, and a rule is a rule when you're at a tournament, and players should be expected to adhere to them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My Most Wanted just arrived. :woop:

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My Most Wanted just arrived. :woop:

How many of the cards are Scum-only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I was missing a single peg for a small ship, and I contacted FFG about trying to buy a new one. Instead, they sent me 4 small ship pegs and 2 large ship pegs for free :stare:

• Locked thread