Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
So as long as I can comfortably reach start, there's no reason to use actual X+A (except unsheathing to axe mode, I guess)? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Thoom posted:

So as long as I can comfortably reach start, there's no reason to use actual X+A (except unsheathing to axe mode, I guess)? Thanks!

Start doesn't replace X+A for charge blade. It replaces R+X. But otherwise you're right.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Whats the appeal of the X+A block when you're in sword mode if you have the chance to just press R?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really wish you could freely bind LZ and RZ to whatever you want. I'd totally bind RZ to X+A and then LZ would be the kick button. Either that or set them both to be the Item Cycle buttons so I don't have to gently caress around with holding L and then hitting Y and A.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Whats the appeal of the X+A block when you're in sword mode if you have the chance to just press R?

guard points give you a free phial hit if you've got the buff up and can combo into a couple of useful attacks, plus I'm not sure if they use stamina

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I really wish you could freely bind LZ and RZ to whatever you want. I'd totally bind RZ to X+A and then LZ would be the kick button. Either that or set them both to be the Item Cycle buttons so I don't have to gently caress around with holding L and then hitting Y and A.

Yeah, as many customization options as the game has, there are still more that I want. Like I'd love to be able to have more than 4 item shortcut slots on the touchscreen. Or to set several items per shortcut slot with a priority order (eg this slot is mini whetstones if I have any, otherwise regular whetstones).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Fungah! posted:

guard points give you a free phial hit if you've got the buff up and can combo into a couple of useful attacks, plus I'm not sure if they use stamina

I'm pretty sure they use stamina. More importantly, I don't know if they use sharpness

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'm pretty sure they use stamina. More importantly, I don't know if they use sharpness

They consume sharpness

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

They consume sharpness

gwrtheyrn posted:

Huh, guess I just never noticed. regardless, they're still a free phial hit with the buff and combo into some good poo poo

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do any of the tutorials or starter quests lie to you or trick you in any fashion? I'm getting the NEW MH PLAYER EXPERIENCE after having not played MH in forever. I've read the OP, and some of Zaphod's posts and that's about it. I'm just going to stick to mostly offline and gently caress around and waste the maximum amount of time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I can't wait to get off work and go farm Rathalos armor. I want a full set, plus the switch axe. He's one of my favorite monsters to hunt so I don't even mind that I'm going to have to kill him like 10 times. :getin: With the Gore Switchaxe that has dragon element, it should make things pretty easy.

Triarii posted:

Yeah, as many customization options as the game has, there are still more that I want. Like I'd love to be able to have more than 4 item shortcut slots on the touchscreen. Or to set several items per shortcut slot with a priority order (eg this slot is mini whetstones if I have any, otherwise regular whetstones).

The WiiU version of 3U had a lot more options for customizing your touchscreen on the gamepad, its a little lame. You could just drag bars wherever you wanted.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rascyc posted:

Do any of the tutorials or starter quests lie to you or trick you in any fashion? I'm getting the NEW MH PLAYER EXPERIENCE after having not played MH in forever. I've read the OP, and some of Zaphod's posts and that's about it. I'm just going to stick to mostly offline and gently caress around and waste the maximum amount of time.

I don't think they do? Your first two encounters with Gore Magala aren't really anything like actually fighting Gore Magala, I guess.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MrFlibble posted:

What if you just want the high level charms / armor spheres that are locked into Grank everwood - could you get those from 130-+ Velocidrones?

Yea all guildquests start dropping the last armorsphere around level 120 (odds improving as level increases). There's still no reason to grind vdrome though, since kirins go down just as fast if not faster and are just as easy, with much better average rewards.

The rarity 10 gquest charms are much harder to get and I think it's 140 or bust for weaker monsters, and around 130+ for harder ones. For charms it's probably much easier to get a decent one farming rarity 10 mining charms by farming g rank secret areas with subquest finish and charmmaster related skills, since that nets you tons of charms per run (best quest being the g2 kill 15 gaburas one).

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Yeah but they're uniquely good for IG. That's like saying you can't say felyne bombardier is good for gunlance because everyone can lay barrel bombs

I'm not saying it's not amazing for IG, I'm just saying that there's skills that ONLY benefit certain weapon types (like longsword or hunting horn) and was wondering if they added ones for IG. That's all. :shrug:

As it is my ideal IG setup will involve a blunt bug, earplugs, destroyer, rodeo god, and the one that increases stamina gains.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
As someone who is super poor but absolutely loves monster hunter games and is dying for some hunting action. Are there any monster hunter like games for PC? I know there used to be an mmo called hunter blade but apparently it was too much like MH and got shut down. I'm jonesin real bad here.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Lunimeow posted:

As someone who is super poor but absolutely loves monster hunter games and is dying for some hunting action. Are there any monster hunter like games for PC? I know there used to be an mmo called hunter blade but apparently it was too much like MH and got shut down. I'm jonesin real bad here.

Closest combat I can think of is the Souls series, if for some reason you hadn't jumped on that train yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rascyc posted:

Nah the game is mostly straight with you.

There are a couple twists, but I wouldn't call them lies. They're more like surprises or gotchas. One monster you're supposed to capture pretends to die, which makes you feel like you just failed the mission, then ends up he's not dead after all!

Lunimeow posted:

Only thing I can think of other than Dark Souls (which is only tangentially similar) is Dragon's Dogma, but that's PS3 / 360 exclusive.

Save up some money and buy a used 3DS? :smith: There should be a lot of people looking to unload to upgrade to the "new 3ds".

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Yeah I've already played the hell out of the souls games and dragons dogma, I guess I just gotta hold out for now :(

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Lunimeow posted:

I think both Vindictus and TERA are pretty close to Monster Hunter type gameplay (and they're both free, as an extra bonus). I wouldn't say they are exactly alike, but they both offer action combat in a similar vein against big bosses where learning their patterns and playing strategically is key. Vindictus would probably be the closest as there is an element of repeating short boss fights with other hunters to collect materials to build armor/weapons, as well as special 'breakpoints' on bosses to obtain extra items and such.

It all depends on what element you're looking for. If it's strictly the combat, I know people will recommend the Demon/Dark Souls series, as it has a similar strategic combat where you have to commit to moves and learn patterns and play defensively.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FutureCop posted:

I think both Vindictus and TERA are pretty close to Monster Hunter type gameplay (and they're both free, as an extra bonus). I wouldn't say they are exactly alike, but they both offer action combat in a similar vein against big bosses where learning their patterns and playing strategically is key. Vindictus would probably be the closest as there is an element of repeating short boss fights with other hunters to collect materials to build armor/weapons, as well as special 'breakpoints' on bosses to obtain extra items and such.

It all depends on what element you're looking for. If it's strictly the combat, I know people will recommend the Demon/Dark Souls series, as it has a similar strategic combat where you have to commit to moves and learn patterns and play defensively.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like it on PC. I'd recommend Souls if anything. The fighting is at least similar in it's own way. Tera isn't a bad analog but I have a hard time recommending it (and that's coming from someone who leveled 2 different characters to max in it)

Now if you had a vita you have the opposite problem where there's too drat many Monster Hunter-likes

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm not sure about PC, but if you want the console experience you should try Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It's also made by Capcom and the principle is the same, except you will be hunting mythological creatures like Gryphons and Hydras. It's a drat good game.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Today I learned there are not enough games where you swing a big weapon at a big monster.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Only thing I can think of other than Dark Souls (which is only tangentially similar) is Dragon's Dogma, but that's PS3 / 360 exclusive.

A Dragon's Dogma MMO was recently announced, and will be on PC as well as PS3/4.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
...but won't be released in English.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For that matter there's a Monster Hunter MMO on PC using the Crysis engine.

....that will never come to the US :negative:

Although its being developed by some Chinese studio and not Capcom so its probably garbage? :shrug:

I would probably have to quit my job if they ever released a Dark Souls MMO.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

isnt there already a bad mh online game out in the east?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Which MH MMO has that weird weapon type that lets you fly around and trivialize the gently caress out of monsters and poo poo?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The PSP games can be easily emulated

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Which MH MMO has that weird weapon type that lets you fly around and trivialize the gently caress out of monsters and poo poo?

Insect Glaive? :smuggo:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

tower of druaga posted:

The PSP games can be easily emulated

Yeah I played some MHFU while waiting for 4U and it suited my needs. There's even apparently a way to play it multiplayer but I didn't bother figuring it out. You can also buy a version of MHFU for iOS if you have one of those devices.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Look expeditions, I just want to get a HR Kut-Ku quest so I can make his armor, why you gotta be so hard about it? :argh:

I feel like expeditions were a good idea implemented poorly. Random maps and monsters is cool, but making a good chunk of monsters expedition/guild quest only, combined with the stupid expedition loot isn't my cup of tea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lmao I wish such an amulet existed. H4x.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Goddammit Kirin stand still for like two seconds so I can smash your stupid horn fucks sakes. Is there any sort of trick to this fight? It's immune to both trap types and every type of bomb I threw at it, I keep bouncing off it even at blue sharpness, and it's generally very good at doing lightning combos on me from across the map if I try to go heal. All I want is that cool looking thunder spear, dammit. I don't even want the dumb super skimpy armor.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Goddammit Kirin stand still for like two seconds so I can smash your stupid horn fucks sakes. Is there any sort of trick to this fight? It's immune to both trap types and every type of bomb I threw at it, I keep bouncing off it even at blue sharpness, and it's generally very good at doing lightning combos on me from across the map if I try to go heal. All I want is that cool looking thunder spear, dammit. I don't even want the dumb super skimpy armor.

Bow guns with Pellet rounds.

Go the zombie route and shotgun it to death.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The trick to kirin is sleepbombing

That, or 4 people with pellet shot

Basically Kirin is a right bastard

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Lol if you don't want to be a naked horse

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Dual blades is awesome. The sharpness issues really aren't that bad in rooms with other people. I only find it a little annoying on monsters where bouncing is a serious issue. Even then you learn to work around it pretty fast

You just need to hit the end of the meter in demon mode and then keep some juice in the meter and you're good. Two or three demon dance attacks in demon mode will do it for you. Online it isn't that hard to find an opening for it if you know the monster's attacks.

I'm pretty sure Dual Blades actually has built-in bounce prevention. I think your attacks are much less likely to bounce in demon mode, and a full-meter demonized demon-dance never bounces.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
The jump in difficulty from Caravan 8-star to 9-star is insane.

To the person asking if the game's tutorials lie to you or mislead you in any way, they absolutely do - they make you feel like you're reasonably good at the game and then you're thrown into a tiny room with a frenzied Brachydios and a million Konchu and get relentlessly beat into submission until you're completely unrecognizable.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man I've been using Tetsucabra armor with a single Health gem for pretty much the entierty of single player low rank. I don't even know what I should start building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Man I've been using Tetsucabra armor with a single Health gem for pretty much the entierty of single player low rank. I don't even know what I should start building.

That'll probably do you until high rank honestly. There's not a ton of sets to get super excited for until later. Tetsu is pretty solid too.

• Locked thread