Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ghostwritingduck posted:

This season's plot is really dragging for me. Merlyn's plan as presented is completely stupid, and only makes sense if he assumes Ollie is a boneheaded idiot that is fun to mentally gently caress with. Almost the entire season has been waiting for Ras to do something, with the major highlight being the one episode where he did. Ollie doesn't even have a plan. He can't stop the league without killing, and if he was willing to kill, delivering Merlyn would be the easy solution. Just record his confession during one of the CW exposition dialogue dumps and kill him.

Merlyn has made it perfectly clear that if he is killed, Ra's will find out about Thea's involvement. They've said this multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Senerio posted:

It was Merlyn who suggested it, and Oliver said it was dumb, back in season 1.

ghostwritingduck posted:

This season's plot is really dragging for me. Merlyn's plan as presented is completely stupid

I think I've come to realize that Merlyn, while he is a very competent swordsman and archer, is just loving outrageously stupid. Like, not just crazy like Slade. Slade's crazy, but within his warped frame of reference his plans aren't that bad... if Ollie is really a terrible guy, then there's a sort of sense to be had in ruining his life by destroying everything he loves and then killing him.

Malcolm Merlyn, meanwhile, is just pants-on-head retarded. His plan this season is absolutely stupid, yes, but no worse than the loving Undertaking. He's going to honor the memory of his dead wife and improve the state of the city by destroying the impoverished area in massive simulated earthquake? What the gently caress? :stonk: Did he not see what Katrina did to New Orleans? That plan was SO loving BAD! He's a goddamned idiot!

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Merlyn is a supervillain of course he is an idiot. It's why it's glorious. If supervillainny wasnt retarded and glorious everyone would do it.

Also not enough love is going out to Slade reclining on his prison cot, naming off all the people that Ollie has lost, and the grimly smug satisfaction he is feeling. Oliver's head is still the Slade Wilson Own Zone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JohnSherman posted:

Merlyn has made it perfectly clear that if he is killed, Ra's will find out about Thea's involvement. They've said this multiple times.

Ollie could straight up tell Ra's that Merlyn mindcontrolled Thea into murdering Sara, and that taking revenge against Thea rather than the actual mastermind would simply be allowing himself to be manipulated by Merlyn. Make it a fight between Merlyn and Ra's (or send Ra's troops against Merlyn alone) and leave them out of it since the only part they have to play is because Merlyn threw them in the League's way to save his own skin.

They owe Merlyn nothing and allowing him to continue to dictate how things go is just silly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jerusalem posted:

Ollie could straight up tell Ra's that Merlyn mindcontrolled Thea into murdering Sara, and that taking revenge against Thea rather than the actual mastermind would simply be allowing himself to be manipulated by Merlyn. Make it a fight between Merlyn and Ra's (or send Ra's troops against Merlyn alone) and leave them out of it since the only part they have to play is because Merlyn threw them in the League's way to save his own skin.

They owe Merlyn nothing and allowing him to continue to dictate how things go is just silly.

If the way things are going is any sign of it, the show may actually intentionally be going in the direction of saying that Oliver is pretty stupid for thinking Merlyn is going to be a great teacher who can give him useful advice. Sorry Ollie, there are no magic tricks here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh also, for all my criticisms of how other characters react to/allow themselves to be manipulated by Merlyn, I just wanna stress that John Barrowman is awesome and it's delightful watching him chew the scenery each week.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Except they've already said that the LoA doesn't care if Thea was being mind controlled. She committed the murder and will face Leagur justice.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Jerusalem posted:

Ollie could straight up tell Ra's that Merlyn mindcontrolled Thea into murdering Sara, and that taking revenge against Thea rather than the actual mastermind would simply be allowing himself to be manipulated by Merlyn.

On the other hand, it may be a bad idea to stake your sister's life on the whim of a guy who kills his own followers for his morning workout. Not to mention, Ra's already sent the DJ to kill Thea, I think it's fair to say he's not interested in talking it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JohnSherman posted:

On the other hand, it may be a bad idea to stake your sister's life on the whim of a guy who kills his own followers for his morning workout. Not to mention, Ra's already sent the DJ to kill Thea, I think it's fair to say he's not interested in talking it out.

It may also be a bad idea to stake your sister's life on the whim of her biological father, who has shown no qualms whatsoever about killing his own flesh and blood in the past.

At least make sure Ra's is fully informed of the situation, so at least Ollie would know one way or the other if it is necessary to go toe to toe with the world's greatest assassin who already completely schooled him on their first encounter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He didn't intentionally kill Tommy.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

JohnSherman posted:

It doesn't help that Ollie has been protecting Merlyn since before he knew about Thea.

EDIT: The League really isn't that scary either. They let Merlyn run around for a good year after his earthquake machine and there has not been any consequences of Ollie being on TV after 'dying'.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 20, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aw yeah, Ollie and Diggle's Excellent Adventure (Minor spoilers)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is the military dude at the end of this week's episode supposed to be anyone in particular?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Klungar posted:

Is the military dude at the end of this week's episode supposed to be anyone in particular?

He's Matthew Shrieve, leader of the Creature Commandos in DC Comics.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo, they actually cast the Beastmaster as a character who runs a team called the Creature Commandos (which I know are, sadly, supernatural, and not animal-men)?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That synopsis. Ugh. I shouldn't put so much anger in reading it, but it looks like we're heading for YET ANOTHER character swing 180 degrees from episode to episode.

I can fanwank and explain a few of those away, but the constant jerking around of character motivations has not gone over well. Well that, and the slower than slow overall pace of the season long arc.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There was one part of the flashback that I thought worked really well; Olliver goes home and the only thing he can do to try to help his family is murder a dude, and it doesn't actually help at all. It contrasted with Olliver talking Thea into not killing Slade.

It does make me wonder how season 5 is gonna work. In the present time line, the Green Arrow will be a public, non-killing superhero, a founding member of the Justice Society, and working to stop Intergang from taking over Star City with their mysterious mind control technology they got from a weird little guy in a robe. And in the flashbacks, he'll be proving his loyalty to the Russian mob by pulling out dude's fingernails.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, they actually cast the Beastmaster as a character who runs a team called the Creature Commandos (which I know are, sadly, supernatural, and not animal-men)?

The latest incarnation is non-magical by was of superscience except for Frankenstein.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

It does make me wonder how season 5 is gonna work. In the present time line, the Green Arrow will be a public, non-killing superhero, a founding member of the Justice Society, and working to stop Intergang from taking over Star City with their mysterious mind control technology they got from a weird little guy in a robe. And in the flashbacks, he'll be proving his loyalty to the Russian mob by pulling out dude's fingernails.

I really hope season 5 ends with flashback Oliver grimly declaring it is time for him to return to public life, but that the price of saving his city is to be alone and forever separated from his family and friends by his mission.... and then we see present Ollie hanging out with Diggle and Thea and Felicity and Roy and Laurel (and her dad! And Walter too!) laughing and having a great time and telling them how much he loves them :shobon:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It does make me wonder how season 5 is gonna work. In the present time line, the Green Arrow will be a public, non-killing superhero, a founding member of the Justice Society, and working to stop Intergang from taking over Star City with their mysterious mind control technology they got from a talking gorilla. And in the flashbacks, he'll be proving his loyalty to the Russian mob by pulling out dude's fingernails.

ftfy

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

That synopsis. Ugh. I shouldn't put so much anger in reading it, but it looks like we're heading for YET ANOTHER character swing 180 degrees from episode to episode.

I'm confused as to what part of the synopsis/which character you're referring to?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hello Arthur

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

no, wrong, look again

intergang

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm over-reacting, but... It sounds like Malcolm is going to be kidnapped by the League and Thea is going to ask Oliver to consider saving him. Despite, you know, Thea just disowning her father last week. Individually, I can make sense of practically every heel turn (not in the wrestling sense) the characters are making. For instance, I totally buy that Roy would want Malcolm's help during Brick's reign but immediately cast him aside once Oliver returned. But taken together, there's just SO.MUCH.SWERVING. from Felicity and Roy and Laurel and Lance and Thea and Diggle batting their motivations about.

Oliver remains a great center, and I really do think the examination of who Oliver Queen actually is (now that the Arrow is an established part of the city) has given the season a throughline it desperately needs.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm over-reacting, but... It sounds like Malcolm is going to be kidnapped by the League and Thea is going to ask Oliver to consider saving him. Despite, you know, Thea just disowning her father last week. Individually, I can make sense of practically every heel turn (not in the wrestling sense) the characters are making. For instance, I totally buy that Roy would want Malcolm's help during Brick's reign but immediately cast him aside once Oliver returned. But taken together, there's just SO.MUCH.SWERVING. from Felicity and Roy and Laurel and Lance and Thea and Diggle batting their motivations about.

Oliver remains a great center, and I really do think the examination of who Oliver Queen actually is (now that the Arrow is an established part of the city) has given the season a throughline it desperately needs.

From the synopsis it's more like Malcolm got caught out and Oliver thinks he should save him for Thea.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Actually from the extended preview it actually seems like Thea's actually the one who gave his rear end up to the League

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

no, wrong, look again

intergang

I was putting grodd in to replace Luthor with General Eiling as Grodds voice.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I keep clicking the Archer thread trying to get here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I keep clicking the Archer thread trying to get here.

It's very simple, that show's about a guy named Archer whose (terribly kept) secret identity is named after royalty.
This shows about a guy named after royalty whose (terribly kept) secret identity is an archer.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
https://twitter.com/carlospdiaz/status/568845165625872384

:3:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope it's a requirement that in flashbacks, a new person has to wear a ridiculous wig each time. I want to see Diggle with a giant afro in one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope it's a requirement that in flashbacks, a new person has to wear a ridiculous wig each time. I want to see Diggle with a giant afro in one.

Seriously, it seems like have so much fun making suck a schlocky show. I'm sure they chose that wig because of how crazy it looks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which show has stronger wig game, Arrow or the Americans?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Which show has stronger wig game, Arrow or the Americans?

Americans by far.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Kind of just waiting for this Omega thing to be deployed and the Arrow and Police need to either work together or start working against each other for the same goal. Police think the Arrow is getting in the way of them solving this, and Arrow is just doing whatever he wants. Cue a conversation between Oliver and Lance about it and Lance being all calm then swinging around and yelling "LOOK OLLIE. I TRUSTED YOU. I TRUSTED YOU TO PROTECT SARA, AND I TRUSTED YOU TO PROTECT LAUREL. BECAUSE OF YOU THIS CITY IS IN PERIL" as a blatant "yeah I loving knew and said nothing, you rear end in a top hat". It would put the Lance knows conversation to end and it would be a glorious interaction between the two characters.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Windows 98 posted:

Kind of just waiting for this Omega thing to be deployed and the Arrow and Police need to either work together or start working against each other for the same goal. Police think the Arrow is getting in the way of them solving this, and Arrow is just doing whatever he wants. Cue a conversation between Oliver and Lance about it and Lance being all calm then swinging around and yelling "LOOK OLLIE. I TRUSTED YOU. I TRUSTED YOU TO PROTECT SARA, AND I TRUSTED YOU TO PROTECT LAUREL. BECAUSE OF YOU THIS CITY IS IN PERIL" as a blatant "yeah I loving knew and said nothing, you rear end in a top hat". It would put the Lance knows conversation to end and it would be a glorious interaction between the two characters.

Interview with Paul Blackthorne posted:

Going back to the scene you had with Roy, do you think it's safe to assume at this point that Lance knows who Arrow is? The way he was utterly dismissive of Roy begs the question.

Yeah. I mean, Lance hasn't really concerned himself too much with who the identity of the Arrow is because while he thinks he is doing good out there, he doesn't care who he is. And it would probably be just...ignorance is bliss. The guy's doing good, let him get on with it. He's been accepted by the police force in an official level, so just let him get on with it. there's no need to know. But of course as the trust issues develop between Lance and Arrow because of the Sara situation and then other situations occur, I think Lance is going to be a little bit more keen to confirm in his mind who it might be, so we shall see what happens there.

Lance does not know and does not want to know. It was basically stated outright near the end of Season 2! That might change over the course of this season, but people who claim Lance should currently know or that he currently wants to know are completely loving wrong.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 21, 2015

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I don't want to turn this ins't another Lance does/does not know conversation because it has been done to death. I just was stating what I would love to see happen :), wrong or right.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Windows 98 posted:

I don't want to turn this ins't another Lance does/does not know conversation because it has been done to death. I just was stating what I would love to see happen :), wrong or right.

That's fine. I'm just pointing out that it's a pointless discussion because one side is explicitly wrong.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

That's fine. I'm just pointing out that it's a pointless discussion because one side is explicitly wrong.

It's you!

Just watched this weeks episode and it was good to see Slade again, but apparently most of the "wink wink nudge nudge" stuff you guys were talking about sailed over my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Seconding whoever said it looks like Thea turns Merlyn in. That would be all kinds of awesome and basically make Thea my favorite character on the show.

• Locked thread