Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
How feasible is a mustang or other similar rear wheel drive muscle/sports car in winter in calgary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phade
Oct 8, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

How feasible is a mustang or other similar rear wheel drive muscle/sports car in winter in calgary?

I drove a Lexus IS-F through winter in Calgary and it was fine. Just buy good winter tires and don't forget to turn off traction control when you want to have some fun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RWD cars are fine with proper winter tires and prudent driving.*

*Empty parking lots, etc exempted.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What the two above me said.

I had a BMW 328 (RWD, more power than I needed, lots of fun) and with decent winter tires it was fine. People who are afraid to drive their own drat cars get no respect from me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I drove a Z31 for several years in a GP winters and it was OK.

In my experience, the biggest issue is ground clearance. Driving down unplowed roads where you are just following the tracks of previous cars you're going to hear all sorts of horrendous sounds as the snow/ice impacts the underside of your car and/or your front valance will start acting like a quasi-plow.

If that bothers you don't or really try to avoid those roads.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The biggest thing about RWD winter driving is to accept that your rear end is going to do strange things and just make sure you're heading in the direction you want. First year driving my E34 I was fishtailing and tank slapping everywhere. By the second year I had grey hair and was the northern tofu delivery drift champion. Also tight cornering with throttle steer never gets old.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

The biggest thing about RWD winter driving is to accept that your rear end is going to do strange things and just make sure you're heading in the direction you want. First year driving my E34 I was fishtailing and tank slapping everywhere. By the second year I had grey hair and was the northern tofu delivery drift champion. Also tight cornering with throttle steer never gets old.

It doesn't matter what the drivetrain is: look where you want to go, and things will work out for you. Target fixate on a pole, and your day is going to get a lot worse very quickly.

Assuming you've had enough practice getting loose and catching it, the rest should all be body memory.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tires are 100% what determines if your car is drivable in winter.

I much prefer my shitbox scirocco with studded winters in heavy snow to my SVX on some older winter tires. Much easier to control and stop despite having garbage brakes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I have this ram 3/4 ton pickup longbox that I dont use. I've driven it 3 times I think since I purchased it. Thinking of putting it to use when I'm not working hauling poo poo to Vancouver and back. Any idea if i'm just entering a world of pain or if I could make some bucks ?

I'm thinking if i'm only moving stuff or people once in awhile the insurance might cost me more than the profit potential. Less concerned with making a profit, more I just want to offset my traveling costs to vancouver and open up some opportunities for tax writeoffs.

Thoughts ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a big ol' can of worms. Expecially traveling into BC.

Legally, you'd need commercial plates, prorated plates at that, and a CVIP and safety fitness certificate because you're over 4,500kg and crossing a border. Although, you're unlikely to ever get caught unless you drive by a scale hauling something that looks vaguely industrial. Still, you'd need liability to cover any gently caress-ups, and cargo insurance apart from that. Moving people for money is an even bigger shitshow of regulations.

If it's just casual stuff offering half-gas rideshare on kijiji, i'd say go for it. Otherwise i'd find something more constructive to do.

Does that truck even get more than 15mpg highway? doing it in a 30mpg car would already cut your traveling costs in half.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

That's a big ol' can of worms. Expecially traveling into BC.

Legally, you'd need commercial plates, prorated plates at that, and a CVIP and safety fitness certificate because you're over 4,500kg and crossing a border. Although, you're unlikely to ever get caught unless you drive by a scale hauling something that looks vaguely industrial. Still, you'd need liability to cover any gently caress-ups, and cargo insurance apart from that. Moving people for money is an even bigger shitshow of regulations.

If it's just casual stuff offering half-gas rideshare on kijiji, i'd say go for it. Otherwise i'd find something more constructive to do.

Does that truck even get more than 15mpg highway? doing it in a 30mpg car would already cut your traveling costs in half.

Damnit all I want to do is get a nice tax return. Basically, I'm going to Vancouver all the time anyways, but I don't want to do it in a small car because, really do you want to travel hwy40 at night in a Ford Focus ?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I'm going to Vancouver all the time anyways, but I don't want to do it in a small car because, really do you want to travel hwy40 at night in a Ford Focus ?

Or drive in Richmond?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Damnit all I want to do is get a nice tax return. Basically, I'm going to Vancouver all the time anyways, but I don't want to do it in a small car because, really do you want to travel hwy40 at night in a Ford Focus ?

It doesn't have to be a ford focus. My thousand dollar beater beemer does 30mpg. I'd take the increased risk of moose decapitation over a boring vehicle to drive. That and it would be a lot easier to get around Vancouver in something that's not a crew cab long box truck.

If you filed a tax return stating you used your vehicle for business without having an actual business to use it for, the gumbent would kick down your door and politely demand their GST cut of it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

It doesn't have to be a ford focus. My thousand dollar beater beemer does 30mpg. I'd take the increased risk of moose decapitation over a boring vehicle to drive. That and it would be a lot easier to get around Vancouver in something that's not a crew cab long box truck.

If you filed a tax return stating you used your vehicle for business without having an actual business to use it for, the gumbent would kick down your door and politely demand their GST cut of it.

I know, but if i'm offering ride shares or importing light bars or something from vancouver, I could operate at a loss. Basically I paid way way way too much tax in 2014. I have the worst white people problems.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone in Calgary got an M12x1.25 tap and die they could loan me?

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Haha, the universal call for help from a Subaru owner...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Canadian tire has that in the smaller tap and die set, the bigger set surprisingly is missing it.

If you don't find one to borrow then that would be your best bet I think.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Canadian tire has that in the smaller tap and die set, the bigger set surprisingly is missing it.

And guess which one I have...
Like really. They have loving machine screw taps in that set (two of which I've broken already) but the only 12mm is 1.75. (and the Kia rocks both 1.25 and 1.5, but not a 1.75 in sight)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I have one but I am in lethbridge.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

If you don't find one to borrow then that would be your best bet I think.

Yeah, only one of the sets had it - and surprise, it was full price today. $140 :sigh:

I already had the biggest possible set - bought it on sale years ago for fifty bucks, thinking it would contain everything else.

I took real good care of it though, and bought it from the ghettoest Canadian Tire. I'm going to just return it tomorrow morning and wait for it to go on sale. Near as I can see, CT owes me for the last decade of buying poo poo from them, plus the tap handle already had a bunch of paint missing from it from the previous use-and-return :v:

Went through eight of my Subaru friends, 6/8 of them had the exact tap and die but were out of town for the long weekend.

Dudes at Subaru Calgary hooked me up with replacement bolts, even though they couldn't order in new ones or had new ones in stock - ended up rooting through the mechanics' private bolt repositories until we found an M12x1.25 that might work. I will have to take back a lot of the mean things I said about that entire dealership.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 15, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dudes at Subaru Calgary hooked me up with replacement bolts, even though they couldn't order in new ones or had new ones in stock - ended up rooting through the mechanics' private bolt repositories until we found an M12x1.25 that might work. I will have to take back a lot of the mean things I said about that entire dealership.

Subaru Calgary did a good thing? Did you have to trade your first born's soul or something?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Subaru Calgary did a good thing? Did you have to trade your first born's soul or something?

I'm still a little bit in shock, honestly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anybody have experience shipping stuff to Sweetgrass Montana and driving down to pick it up? Ordering some suspension stuff and most of it appears to ship by UPS from the states, I'd sooner hang myself than pay their brokerage fees again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Anybody have experience shipping stuff to Sweetgrass Montana and driving down to pick it up? Ordering some suspension stuff and most of it appears to ship by UPS from the states, I'd sooner hang myself than pay their brokerage fees again.

Yeah, I've done it about half a dozen times. Do you have any specific questions?

One thing that most people miss is writing down the country of origin of the poo poo they are importing. You also want to make sure everything is in the same currency when you go to declare it. I usually put together a spreadsheet, and staple it to printed-out copies of all of my receipts with the totals highlighted and the currency written on the receipts.

If you're going to buy suspension from the US, try Shocks.com and its sister site JustSuspension - RockAuto sometimes beats them by a few bucks after shipping, but only when you order a kit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah, I did that for a bunch of parts that I ordered from summit for the coronet.

It was painless, create an account at the receiving company (I think I used the Montana shipping outlet or something) let them know who you are and what/how much is coming, then buy the stuff and ship it there. Drive down, pick it up, pay the mso fee (minimal) drive back to the border and pay the customs folks whatever they figure you owe in duty/tax. Keep your original bill if you can, makes poo poo easier. I just showed them my emailed bill from summit.

I hear the drive to eureka location is way nicer. The long slog down through Lethbridge way is pretty monotonous. Lethbridge itself makes for a nice and very welcome pit stop though.

There's a delicate balancing act here, can you get down there and back, while paying gas, duty (if any) tax, etc for less than the ridiculous brokerage fees?

I had no problem because I ordered over a thousand dollars worth of poo poo, and have a tiny gas sipping car, biggest issue was getting everything into the tiny car.

Also mso isn't open every day on weekends, check their hours of operations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, you have to manage the economics. I don't go for less than filling an entire Dodge Caravan with stuff to the roof. I'm talking like multiple Tire Rack orders.

I'm currently saving up for the next spurt.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've kinda ballparked it at roughly $1300. Maybe I'll get some tire rack tires too to even it off.

My biggest thing is just the logistics of it all. I'm probably going to have to order from two or three different places to get the stuff I want. How long do they hold packages for?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They held mine for a few weeks, iirc.

Call or email them and ask, can't hurt.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I used to do this every week, for years. I had the fortune of going through the coast border crossing though. A trick I learned, if you want to suffer an hour wait in the border lineup, 70% of the time they will wave you through after you attempt to declare. I've saved thousands in tax and duty fees. The bigger the order the more likely hood they don't want to do paperwork for all your poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I use Montana shipping in sweetgrass all the time... Once a month or so when the dollar wasn't so lovely. Haven't for a while now because of that. If you can avoid Saturday as it is a zoo.

E: They will hold items for quite a while no problem

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jonathan posted:

I used to do this every week, for years. I had the fortune of going through the coast border crossing though. A trick I learned, if you want to suffer an hour wait in the border lineup, 70% of the time they will wave you through after you attempt to declare. I've saved thousands in tax and duty fees. The bigger the order the more likely hood they don't want to do paperwork for all your poo poo.

This. Last time I attempted to truck a bunch of stuff through the border I got out of my car and excitedly started showing the customs agent all the stuff in my trunk and they couldn't get me to shut up and drive through fast enough.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This shipping info is great guys, thanks. I have two and potentially three big orders of stuff for my E46 that I'm going to need in the next six to nine months; even if all I get is free/discounted shipping to an American address (which Pelican and the other big Euro parts häuser offer), it'll probably be a net savings in the end.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So I somehow found Bilstein struts cheaper in Canada and they actually have some for my VW. Which kind of destroys my sweet grass run. Very shocked that they're actually cheaper here. Usually US parts are miles cheaper and ends up comparable with Concept 1 once you factor in shipping.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
^^ Link! I can't believe Concept 1 is cheaper than anything.

There is a lot of loving variance with customs agents though. I have had ones that are like "COOL CAR poo poo LET'S TALK ABOUT CORVETTES OKAY YOU CAN GO," but the last border agent I had, she interrogated the poo poo out of me about oil-spill mats and charged me full freight for everything.

I ended up eating a hundred bucks in duty on a US-built seat because I couldn't show the country of origin which (along with some other incidentals) very nearly made the trip underwater.

That said, on that trip a bunch of people in front of me got hauled out and had their poo poo seized, there were screaming matches and one guy got arrested and deported, so maybe she was just on edge.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 20, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

^^ Link! I can't believe Concept 1 is cheaper than anything.

They aren't really. You end up +/- a few dollars to them once you factor in shipping and brokerage fees if your stuff ships by UPS. But that was before mk1autohaus had a website, I'm sure if I checked now it would be pretty clear their pricing is way off.

The only time it actually made sense to buy poo poo from them was when I was buying a shitton of stuff for my 16v swap and it was going to ship from the states by UPS. Even then you had to deal with their lovely attitude and the fact that you always get the vibe that they don't want to deal in watercooled stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What are people's experience ordering from rockauto into Canada ? Some searches say brokerage and shipping etc are all included in the price. I need some u-joints, ball joints etc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah they don't ask for more at the door. Totally pleased with rockauto so far. About to do the first return they haven't paid for shipping for so hopefully my opinion doesn't change.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They ship quick, but even stuff ordered from the same warehouse in the same order shipped on the same day sometimes ends up getting split and shows up on different days.

Even after shipping and customs and the exchange you're likely to be at half the cost of getting stuff locally.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Another point is that they do their own brokerage, usually you'll see it arrive with a series of very well done customs forms that have been handled by someone in the RockAuto international shipping department or one of the regional offices (they have one in Calgary and one in Edmonton at least).

They have one hell of a slick operation. I think if they could start asking Amazon-level shipping costs for things they could basically break the back of AutoValue permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Auto value is all kinds of useless, and I question how they're still in business. Looks like most scirocco stuff is out of stock on rockauto though :(

Edit: looks like that's mostly exterior stuff, have some decent stuff in stock.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 20, 2015