Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I learned that that's also an Usher album, judging by the first twenty rows of Google images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Zanziabar posted:

Modifying national ideas?
In the files directly or after El Dorado, the nation designer

Zanziabar posted:

How would a republican Fylkirate be modelled in EUIV? Is it a theocracy, a republic?
It would be a republic, Fylkariate is a secular title.

Zanziabar posted:

Does your religion influence your starting group? For example, would reformed norse be in the western tech group or something else?
It doesn't affect at all anymore

Zanziabar posted:

How does centralization/crown authority impact on importing empires? The wiki mentions for example the HRE if imported into EUIV with absolute crown authority then it's represented as a single entity.
If you are at autonomous vassal law then your nation will lose the 4 largest vassals in your realm and you will have them as a vassal in eu4.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

podcat posted:

I'd suggest playing Here I Stand instead. Very EU feel and fun but less messy (still a bit messy though).

btw latest HOI4 diary up here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?837120-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Dev-Diary-13-Conscription-amp-Training

Will NATO counters be able to do pushups?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Will NATO counters be able to do pushups?

Of course, counters can do twice as many pushups to sprites to show their superiority! :downswords:

Seriously though, seeing that picture made me laugh. I'm gonna keep my entire army constantly doing push ups at the border when playing multiplayer to mess with my neighbors :D
Podcat I hope the animation is synched over MP!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

podcat posted:

I'd suggest playing Here I Stand instead. Very EU feel and fun but less messy (still a bit messy though).

btw latest HOI4 diary up here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?837120-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Dev-Diary-13-Conscription-amp-Training

I really like that training now costs you equipment rather than just being, "Duh, why WOULDN'T you train everyone to max level?" like it is in many other games, so there's actually a decent reason to shovel green troops at your enemy outside of just not having time to do it.

It'd be cool if your units automatically used the oldest versions of their equipment when training, rather than just whatever they happen to be equipped with right now, to minimise micromanagement when training.

Here's a question - do more advanced tank types cost more than less advanced ones, to simulate the general increase in tank tonnage as time went on?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

podcat posted:

What does the icon of the soldier hiding in the barrel mean? :3

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Rincewind posted:

What does the icon of the soldier hiding in the barrel mean? :3

Scraping the barrel I would suspect

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Groogy posted:

Scraping the barrel I would suspect

Aye

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

At first glance I thought it was a suicide bomber vest, which seemed awfully dark for Paradox.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

podcat posted:

not gonna lie, i misread the title in the url as CONCENTRATION CAMP TRAINING and was confused for a bit

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

podcat posted:

Nice Starship Troopers ref in the army names :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh wow, I just looked more closely at the screenshot and noticed that the sprites are actually doing pushups when they're training and people weren't just joking around about that. :3:

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
Counters can't do push-ups. Checkmate grognards.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

3d models are not sprites

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

pdxjohan posted:

Not that i know off.. Own it, but its an unplayable mess.

You need to wait a few patches and install some mods. Never quite works out-of-the-box.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm new to Darkest Hour, and i'm thinking of playing as Germany. Because I do want to be thrown right into the middle of the world war.

But.. what should I focus on? Is there a guide out there somewhere?

Build up IC on a 33 start until when? Which countries should I try to ally with? What should I do with my allies? Feed them blueprints? What can I do without triggering world war? Any good countries to conquer?

Affi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 20, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Affi posted:

I'm new to Darkest Hour, and i'm thinking of playing as Germany. Because I do want to be thrown right into the middle of the world war.

But.. what should I focus on? Is there a guide out there somewhere?

Build up IC on a 33 start until when? Which countries should I try to ally with? What should I do with my allies? Feed them blueprints? What can I do without triggering world war? Any good countries to conquer?

As Germany you shouldn't really feel a need to focus on anything specifically. You can do pretty much everything except maybe build a decent navy.

Don't play the 33 start.

Ally with countries Germany historically allied with? You can also pull in Portugal and Nationalist Spain pretty easily. If you keep a checkbox in the "automatically accept/propose trade", you'll automatically trade out blueprints with your allies. You can get away with some pre-1939 warring, but pretty much every country around you has their independence guaranteed by someone major, so it'll be rough to do it without triggering WW2. You can push Italy around if you want though. Otherwise just beef yourself up and then in summer of 1939, trigger the Danzig or War decision, and voila, enjoy WW2.

There's also a very minor chance, I think, that you can go to war with the Allies over the Treaty of Munich. Also a very minor chance that Italy will declare war on you for the Anschluss of Austria.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Has anyone had problems with CK2 crashing repeatedly at random on Mac? I have only played the windows version before now but I'm getting mad crashes today when I try to do anything on a macbook.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

podcat posted:

Sadly it's out of print and super rare now :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys keep adding so much detail to the non-war aspect of HoI4 that i feel like i'll be too busy playing with those instead of doing a messy, busy and annoying war.

And you better show me the portrait of Stalin and Churchill.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I Love You! posted:

Has anyone had problems with CK2 crashing repeatedly at random on Mac? I have only played the windows version before now but I'm getting mad crashes today when I try to do anything on a macbook.
I would ask this in the CKII thread itself: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=1

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Mans posted:

And you better show me the portrait of Stalin and Churchill.

Actually all world leader portraits are just pictures of Hitler in various costumes and hats

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Have we seen any of the portraits for anybody besides Germany? And I guess that Polish general from the dev diary today.

q. What dimensions are HoI4 flags?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Here's portrait of Stalin, enjoy!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Disco Infiva posted:

Here's portrait of Stalin, enjoy!

I have no idea why I am laughing so hard at this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rincewind posted:

Have we seen any of the portraits for anybody besides Germany? And I guess that Polish general from the dev diary today.

Well now you made me look for the screenshot with Sikorski's portrait and podcat please explain to us what that third button is supposed to be? :catstare:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

YF-23 posted:

Well now you made me look for the screenshot with Sikorski's portrait and podcat please explain to us what that third button is supposed to be? :catstare:

I think it's a cat. :)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sadly it's out of print and super rare now :(

There are VASSAL and Cyberboard modules for Here I Stand though, and you can preorder the reprint which is scheduled for 2015.
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-508-here-i-stand-2015-reprint-ed.aspx

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ulmont posted:

There are VASSAL and Cyberboard modules for Here I Stand though, and you can preorder the reprint which is scheduled for 2015.
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-508-here-i-stand-2015-reprint-ed.aspx

Virgin Queen is somewhat similar and more symmetrical in nature if that's your thing, though it's a less warlike game overall.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

YF-23 posted:

It's apparently a placeholder for the planning tool for controlling axis of advance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Panzeh posted:

Virgin Queen is somewhat similar and more symmetrical in nature if that's your thing, though it's a less warlike game overall.

1) VQ has more fiddly bits than HiS.
2) VQ can be just as warlike if you're doing it right. :)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bort Bortles posted:

I have no idea why I am laughing so hard at this.

It's a good gif.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ulmont posted:

1) VQ has more fiddly bits than HiS.
2) VQ can be just as warlike if you're doing it right. :)

Honestly, VQ's conversion mechanic and religion in general is a lot less fiddly, though way more players have to engage in it.

The big difference between VQ and HiS is that every player has almost every mechanic available to them, whereas in HiS there are more distinct players.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, VQ's conversion mechanic and religion in general is a lot less fiddly, though way more players have to engage in it.
I meant artists/scientists, Royal marriages, the treasure fleet, and espionage/assassination...

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Mans posted:

You guys keep adding so much detail to the non-war aspect of HoI4 that i feel like i'll be too busy playing with those instead of doing a messy, busy and annoying war.

Truly, the best reason to avoid war is the chance that all your perfectly prepared toys will get damaged.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Want to give Jake Solomon the brofist (for a reason other then XCOM)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's a Virgin Queen game going in The Game Room if you want to watch me totally gently caress up invading the Netherlands

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ulmont posted:

I meant artists/scientists, Royal marriages, the treasure fleet, and espionage/assassination...

Some of that's fair enough, but the Treasure Fleet is just a card. Most of these things aren't that fiddly. They're just more levers to turn.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Fintilgin posted:

Want to give Jake Solomon the brofist (for a reason other then XCOM)

That's pretty awesome. He and the Paradox crew are both definitely both great for sharing an infectious enthusiasm about their games.

:xcom: Maybe we need a "that's Paradox" incest sperm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
badgame has

• Locked thread