Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jastiger posted:

What environment? I don't get this reference.

Thanks for the input though. I remember there being a mattress buying thread but its disappeared :(

I think he's referring to you buying a kirby vacuum and those are a scam too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Thesaurus posted:

Sleep on the floor/straw or you're bad with money.

Floors are expensive poo poo man. What do you have against dirt? It was good enough for our ancestors.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

cowofwar posted:

Generally being able to cook means you save money because you can turn lovely staple ingredients in to good food. Sounds like you are talking about foodie hipsters that can't cook.

Eh. It's real easy to spend money cooking if you want to. Just add saffron to anything and you're automatically bad with money.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

I don't know where to ask this, and I want to avoid being Bad With Money......where is that mattress buying megathread? If its gone or archived, whats a good resource or strategy on mattress buying?

Buy a Savoir or get the gently caress out.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

I don't know where to ask this, and I want to avoid being Bad With Money......where is that mattress buying megathread? If its gone or archived, whats a good resource or strategy on mattress buying?

Look at Costco. I just bought a king sized mattress there with boxspring for $650. It's a name brand higher end model mattress (not that that means anything) but we were able to lay on it at the store and because it's Costco (and not electronics) we can pretty much return it between now and the time Costco goes out of business.

This was a special buy though, not sure if it's available nationwide and they sold out in 2 days.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I bought a Tempurpedic and I don't regret it for a minute.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Inverse Icarus posted:

Eh. It's real easy to spend money cooking if you want to. Just add saffron to anything and you're automatically bad with money.
Cooking also has a lot of weird gadgets that most people don't really need, but sound cool. Like most hobbies, cooking can easily be frugal or wasteful, and it all depends on how you go about it.

(Admitedly, the frugal end of it is less "hobby" and more "being an adult with basic life skills".)

Bloody Queef posted:

Look at Costco. I just bought a king sized mattress there with boxspring for $650. It's a name brand higher end model mattress (not that that means anything) but we were able to lay on it at the store and because it's Costco (and not electronics) we can pretty much return it between now and the time Costco goes out of business.

This was a special buy though, not sure if it's available nationwide and they sold out in 2 days.
I've seen mattresses at the Costco I go to, but it's not set up to let you lay on them first. Do you have to ask an employee to help out, or was yours actually set up for it beforehand?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Aristotle Animes posted:

Too many dishes and poo poo to put in dishes and everyone is supposed to make moaning sounds everytime they put a spoon in their wet maw. Then it has a stupid piece of cake at the end even tho it's nobody's birthday.

That's a shame that your friends are weirdos about being foodies, but I'll take an amazing home cooked meal with too much "poo poo to put in dishes" over a restaurant meal any day I'm trying to save money.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Inverse Icarus posted:

I have several relatives who all got different purbreeds, seemingly as some sort of expensive puppy arms race.

When I told one of them that we just had two shelter mutts he asked me if we "couldn't afford a better dog."

Holy poo poo. That is a special combination of hilarious and sad. Are your relatives as relentlessly lovely and unlikable as that makes them sound?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Haifisch posted:

Cooking also has a lot of weird gadgets that most people don't really need, but sound cool. Like most hobbies, cooking can easily be frugal or wasteful, and it all depends on how you go about it.

(Admitedly, the frugal end of it is less "hobby" and more "being an adult with basic life skills".)

I've seen mattresses at the Costco I go to, but it's not set up to let you lay on them first. Do you have to ask an employee to help out, or was yours actually set up for it beforehand?

There was just a big old pile of mattresses and my wife climbed up tested it out and then called me and I swung by and we pulled it onto the floor in the middle of Costco. No one gave us crap.

It was sort of an impulse buy. We were in the market for a king searching on all the typical sites mentioned above and the wife was grocery shopping at Costco and we jumped at it. We've had it 2 weeks now and it's on the same level comfort and sleep wise as our queen mattress that was almost $2k a few years back. Yet more comfortable because there's so much room.

For bad with money content: it's made us have discussions about getting another dog because there's now totally room for one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Taco Box posted:

I think he's referring to you buying a kirby vacuum and those are a scam too?

What? If this is true, just what? I posted about someone offering a vacuum, not that I even considered buying it. Christ.

Bloody Queef posted:

That is something I've considered. Do they offer delivery? And what was the "higher end" brand?

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Haifisch posted:

The Costcos near us almost always have some mattresses in the back corner that would be difficult to set up because it would block an aisle. Then perhaps twice a year they get a big stock of mattresses in and do a special display in the center of the store, with one of each type set up (still in plastic) for testing. You can always ask a manager if a mattress display is coming up, or if there's a place in the store where you could test the mattresses they have. The mattresses also go on sale periodically (usually during the events, but also online which can cover shipping). We bought a ~$600 range inner spring Sealy mattress from Costco in 2008 and it's still in great condition, but we ended up moving it to a new guest room two years ago and ordering a ~$1000 inner spring firm Stearns & Foster from Costco for ourselves. We took the risk of ordering it online because of Costco's return policy and haven't been disappointed.

One thing we also found out is that those multiple center support systems for morbidly obese people really prolong the life of a mattress (even for normal weight people). We inherited an antique bed that was very creaky and installed one of these systems to deal with the noise and satisfy the queen+ size mattress warranties. Not only is the bed really quiet now, but the mattress on it feels new after several years--no dips or depressions.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

There was just a big old pile of mattresses and my wife climbed up tested it out and then called me and I swung by and we pulled it onto the floor in the middle of Costco. No one gave us crap.

It was sort of an impulse buy. We were in the market for a king searching on all the typical sites mentioned above and the wife was grocery shopping at Costco and we jumped at it. We've had it 2 weeks now and it's on the same level comfort and sleep wise as our queen mattress that was almost $2k a few years back. Yet more comfortable because there's so much room.

For bad with money content: it's made us have discussions about getting another dog because there's now totally room for one.

Bad with sex life: lets dog sleep in bed

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Radbot posted:

That's a shame that your friends are weirdos about being foodies, but I'll take an amazing home cooked meal with too much "poo poo to put in dishes" over a restaurant meal any day I'm trying to save money.
Fussy little home cooked hog dinners are bad with money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
You've said hog meal/dinner twice now and that's the second time I've ever heard the term. Where the hell did you ever hear that.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Hog dinners sound great.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Related: My real estate agent today said "Back in the seventies we came up to look at this same place, but it was a wild neighborhood. Somebody was roasting a whole pig outside and everyone was just sitting around smoking pot. It was just a crazy neighborhood."

My husband and I looked at each other - "Sounds awesome!"

The place we went to today is not on the market yet. The owner is renting the house out to tenants and sleeping in a shack on the property. We saw his little shanty - his mattress was outside on a wood platform (dirt floor!) and he had a propane tank hooked up to a makeshift stove and a toilet in the floor you'd have to squat on. There are tons of little sheds everywhere and fencing stapled to the trees and oh my god. Not worth $525k, but the location is perfect and I imagine the neighbors would be happy to have us move in :)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Bloody Queef posted:

We have a costco memory foam mattress I bought for like $500 in 2009. It works great, though it doesn't breathe well so since we moved to Florida (hot as balls in the summer) its now in the spare bedroom. Everyone loves sleeping on it, but we generally turn the AC down a couple degrees when we have guests for that reason. We got a cheap rear end regular mattress for $200 from a regular furniture store for the guest room originally, but after sleeping on it once we swapped it into our own bedroom.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Holy poo poo. That is a special combination of hilarious and sad. Are your relatives as relentlessly lovely and unlikable as that makes them sound?

They're mostly normal people, they're just all from the northeast US and have a serious case of keeping up with the Joneses. I have no idea why my sister bought two Australian Shepherds for a grand+ each, but a few family members and a bunch of her friends had fancy toy dogs and she just couldn't accept anything else. She grew up in the same house as me, with three shelter dogs over the years.

A handful of them, including the guy who said this, are pretty gigantic assholes though. The same guy doesn't support net neutrality because "if I can afford better internet, why shouldn't I be able to have it?" I tried to explain what net neutrality actually meant and he just shook his head before saying, "If I could pay $500 a month to have a road only rich people could drive on, I'd pay for it, and the same goes for my internet."

He's just a rich rear end in a top hat, I guess. He talks a lot about how poor he was growing up, and now he's all about throwing around how much he paid for stuff, and how top of the line everything he owns is.

The Mandingo posted:

Bad with sex life: lets dog sleep in bed

I can confirm this. Biggest mistake I ever made, letting the dog sleep in the bed. One of them loves sleeping right in between us.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

You've said hog meal/dinner twice now and that's the second time I've ever heard the term. Where the hell did you ever hear that.

From a weird hipster who threw a dinner party and invited a mom that blew zerberts on everyone's stomach which she called a "tummy" and did other weird loving infantalizing poo poo till everyone was making yummy sounds every time they crammed some baby poached candied poo poo in their mouths. Then she spanked everyone during cake to heighten the naughty feeling of eating butter creame bulger muff-caking supreme. The hipster cooked but the mom definitely made the meal. Afterwards I got a boner thinking about how sneaky I was when I smoked in high school after that and now all my meals have to be preciously delicious and suppulent hog breakfasts, hog luncheons, hog teas and hog dinners.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

moana posted:

The place we went to today is not on the market yet. The owner is renting the house out to tenants and sleeping in a shack on the property. We saw his little shanty - his mattress was outside on a wood platform (dirt floor!) and he had a propane tank hooked up to a makeshift stove and a toilet in the floor you'd have to squat on. There are tons of little sheds everywhere and fencing stapled to the trees and oh my god. Not worth $525k, but the location is perfect and I imagine the neighbors would be happy to have us move in :)

Is this in Southern California? We were thinking about upgrading to rending a house instead of an apartment, and three of the houses we looked at had "owner's shanties" in the back. Good with money, I guess?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Inverse Icarus posted:

A handful of them, including the guy who said this, are pretty gigantic assholes though. The same guy doesn't support net neutrality because "if I can afford better internet, why shouldn't I be able to have it?" I tried to explain what net neutrality actually meant and he just shook his head before saying, "If I could pay $500 a month to have a road only rich people could drive on, I'd pay for it, and the same goes for my internet."

He's just a rich rear end in a top hat, I guess. He talks a lot about how poor he was growing up, and now he's all about throwing around how much he paid for stuff, and how top of the line everything he owns is.

I overuse dumb platitudes a lot, but I do truly believe that money allows people to be who they truly are. For a lot of people, that means being a complete shithead

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

What environment? I don't get this reference.

Thanks for the input though. I remember there being a mattress buying thread but its disappeared :(

The insurance market is not entirely unlike the mattress market... good luck with your bedhunt!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Baja Mofufu posted:

Is this in Southern California? We were thinking about upgrading to rending a house instead of an apartment, and three of the houses we looked at had "owner's shanties" in the back. Good with money, I guess?
Northern-ish, near Santa Cruz. This guy is bad with money because his renters haven't paid rent for a few months. And apparently he's too kind hearted to kick them out. I don't know how I could live in a shack right next to people IN MY HOUSE RIGHT THERE.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

moana posted:

Related: My real estate agent today said "Back in the seventies we came up to look at this same place, but it was a wild neighborhood. Somebody was roasting a whole pig outside and everyone was just sitting around smoking pot. It was just a crazy neighborhood."

My husband and I looked at each other - "Sounds awesome!"

Seriously. Sounds like a trendy neighborhood in Denver in 2015.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

We'd have to restart the hog roast tradition, for sure. The guy was a woodworker and so the house comes with all of the tools in the garage and a bunch of other "extras" including a VW camper bus. Now, that would be pretty cool, but the bus is parked down in the side yard where he build up a garden and stone BBQ pit and stuff. He built the stuff in AFTER parking the bus there, and now there's no way that we can see (besides demolishing a fence or the whole BBQ pit) that you could drive it up and out of the yard. So, a permanent VW camper for the MIL I guess :v:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahaha the housing market in California is so lovely people are literally living in a shack and renting out their house to own a house. At some point as you sit in your toolshed making GBS threads into a hole, or at some point when you dive your rusty garden trowel into the lime bag, or at some point when you flip over your pillow of straw hoping the other side is somehow cooler, you'd imagine there's a little voice in your brain that whispers, "This is loving dumb."

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

That's because California and Santa Cruz in particular is populated by a class of rich absentee landlords that preach a free and easy life to the new generation of lazy buttholes who think renting is your key to security and riches. Their mantra is "if you are complaining about real estate prices, you didn't buy last year". A lot of people's idea on how to make it is to buy house and rent it or buy a 4 bedroom house and become a landlord to 3 people at $600-$800 a room so you can live free and improve the property and flip it for retirement dough when you buy two more houses and do the same. I've never lived in amongst such greed as when I lived in Santa Cruz and watched people leach on one another playing the landlord game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

slap me silly posted:

The insurance market is not entirely unlike the mattress market... good luck with your bedhunt!

:wotwot:

Why, I take umbrage sir and/or maam. We offer only the finest products and proprietary services in these great United States, and shant stand for being compared to those rogues in the mattress market!

Also can we talk about location chat or will that get us probated again?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Time to start The Bad With The Bad With Money Megathread Megathread for all the derails.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Inverse Icarus posted:

A lot of self professed foodies are bad with money. Generally foodies spend a lot of money on stupid lovely gadgets and appliances. Like stand mixers - waste of space and money, heavy pots with copper inlays - bad for wrists, bad at temperature control and waste of power, expensive lecreuset dutch ovens - dumb and easily replaced by a full metal pot or pan from the thriftstore.

All a cook needs is a stove, cheap metal bowls, cheap metal pots and a couple cheap pans. Buy the cheap offcuts and oven braise. Buy the crappy looking vegies from asian produce stores. Make all your bases from scratch in five extra minutes and don't buy prepared stuff. Plan meals for the week and don't waste food.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

jaymeekae posted:

drat, I live in central London but I only pay £563/mo in rent and about £100 in bills (electric, water, gas, internet, cleaner).

the gently caress? where is this???

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

jaymeekae posted:

drat, I live in central London but I only pay £563/mo in rent and about £100 in bills (electric, water, gas, internet, cleaner).

That's nothing, I rent a penthouse overlooking Central Park for $675.95 with utilities. I am the best with money.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
treehouse is the word one would usually use there even if it's on the top floor of the tree

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

froglet posted:

Your friend sounds a bit like a lady I knew. She was a bit sheltered from reality by her parents and had been instilled with this idea that having housemates is for losers/people who want to get murdered. There was quite a shock to her system when she finally moved out and realized that there was a very good reason why so many live with housemates.

Because living alone is a great way to not only get nightmurdered in complete privacy,* or for nobody to notice you've been missing for a few days?

e: * But not for the inheritance.

Tawd fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 21, 2015

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

cowofwar posted:

Like stand mixers - waste of space and money

I will fight you.

Anyway my mixer was free from my Grandma.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah stand mixers aren't really bad with money unless it's a soccer mom's kitchen prop. Making your own bread is definitely good with money.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

AgrippaNothing posted:

From a weird hipster who threw a dinner party and invited a mom that blew zerberts on everyone's stomach which she called a "tummy" and did other weird loving infantalizing poo poo till everyone was making yummy sounds every time they crammed some baby poached candied poo poo in their mouths. Then she spanked everyone during cake to heighten the naughty feeling of eating butter creame bulger muff-caking supreme. The hipster cooked but the mom definitely made the meal. Afterwards I got a boner thinking about how sneaky I was when I smoked in high school after that and now all my meals have to be preciously delicious and suppulent hog breakfasts, hog luncheons, hog teas and hog dinners.

What the gently caress is a zerbert. What the gently caress is suppulent. Why must you continually troll this upstanding thread with a made up lexicon.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I don't think I used the word 'cheaper'. We will see a decrease on expenses as long as $2,400 of home ownership expenses don't pop up per year, and an increase in net worth over time as long as we aren't somehow unable to pay our mortgage.

I'm naive to the costs of homeownership, but wouldn't $200/month be a reasonable amount to budget for house owning expenses?

I bought my fiancé a stand mixer for Christmas. Yup, still sitting here in the box..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

I don't know what the gently caress this is but I don't want to hear any more about it even in the Derails Megathread, thanks very much in advance

• Locked thread