Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Puppy Time posted:

Why are you watching Daffy Duck Reviews then?

Because he's basically shaped and guided the growth of the internet review show as a media format?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Can we stop talking about Josh Hadley? He's a horrible uninteresting person who doesn't even have a show with Brad anymore.

Can you please give us a list of whats acceptable to talk about in this thread?

You seem to poo poo on everything.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hbomberguy posted:

I think it's a bit of both, re-adding color channels they took out in the original release but also correcting it with some new tools.

The first was written around that time, but doubtless had been gestating as an idea for longer, and was influenced by all the virtual reality/technofuturistic philosophy stuff that was written beforehand, which prior to that time had never really dealt with the implications of digital aesthetics and filmmaking. The Matrix sequels (and the SW Prequel Trilogy) were among the first films to deal with 'digital reality' the way horror directors dealt with 'plastic reality' and the invention of the more cool skin/monster props and stuff. Their bigger failings are largely because they're the first of their kind. It's the aesthetic and thematic differences between THX1138's machinery and factories and people becoming like robots and the very similar scenes in Attack of the Clones, where the entire world is reduced to a cartoon you experience as reality. They're similar in a lot of ways but the tools used to tell the story create different effects.

It's why lots of CGI-heavy films look so unrealistic. They're not going for realism, but the hyper-real emotional and thematic aspects. I'm tempted to say they're a different medium entirely to standard movies, the same way cartoons aren't like regular tv shows.

Not to be too bratty but you pretty much did just say that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Not to be too bratty but you pretty much did just say that.

Yeah basically. Oops

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

Hey, I've been putting a lot of time in the woodshed lately (loving making vids right now) but here's something that might be of interest - a new series looking at classic British gaming TV! Here's the first episode, and it's all about Gamesmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxNJ55GLAjI

That was really good, I used to watch a lot of these shows when I was a kid and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other Game Master like shows. A question though what do you mean by classic? I remember seeing videogame shows being made into the 2000's and some of them were dreadful, are you going to be covering them all or cherry picking the best?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

That was really good, I used to watch a lot of these shows when I was a kid and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other Game Master like shows. A question though what do you mean by classic? I remember seeing videogame shows being made into the 2000's and some of them were dreadful, are you going to be covering them all or cherry picking the best?

Well, um...more like just "classic" in the sense of being old and very nostalgic and what have you. TBH a fair amount of what I'm going to be covering is pretty pants...the plan is as follows:

2) Games World + Bad Influence
3) Bits + Thumb Bandits
4) Gamezville (ugh) + a whole bunch of other also-rans
5) Consolevania + VideoGaiden

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Vicas posted:

Because he's basically shaped and guided the growth of the internet review show as a media format?

That's not a good thing. There are better review formats than Doug, yet it seems everyone wants to emulate him, and CA seems to want mostly NC clones.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

PassTheRemote posted:

That's not a good thing. There are better review formats than Doug, yet it seems everyone wants to emulate him, and CA seems to want mostly NC clones.

I never said it was, but it's still important to recognize that he's an important figure in the growth of the format as a whole and shouldn't really be written off as "some gimmicky reviewer" even if that's basically what his videos amount to these days. If anything, it's hard to understand many of the conventions that have become the norm in the field without looking at Doug, and understanding why they did/didn't work for him is important for deciding if you want to include or leave out those elements, or even as a viewer for deciding if this other reviewer is just aping him badly or if the entire idea just doesn't seem to work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually stopped watching NC a while ago after his skits became unbearable. I only came back to look at some of the crossovers again because I got thinking about Star Trek and how much his reviews of the bad movies annoyed me.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Vicas posted:

I never said it was, but it's still important to recognize that he's an important figure in the growth of the format as a whole and shouldn't really be written off as "some gimmicky reviewer" even if that's basically what his videos amount to these days. If anything, it's hard to understand many of the conventions that have become the norm in the field without looking at Doug, and understanding why they did/didn't work for him is important for deciding if you want to include or leave out those elements, or even as a viewer for deciding if this other reviewer is just aping him badly or if the entire idea just doesn't seem to work

Kind of? I get this in a "watching the origin" thing, I don't personally understand it in a "I continue to watch his stuff weekly even now" thing. Kinda like watching The Simpsons regularly now, but solely because of its relevance to the existence of animated comedies. Why not just watch Rick and Morty at that point? Or watch old episodes of The Simpsons you may have missed, on their own?

The metaphor is stretched, but you get what I mean, I hope. You don't watch things for cultural relevance purposes for that long, the purpose wears out long before then, and then it's just hundreds of episodes of wasted time. You either find NC to be funny or you don't, and watch based on that, I would think.

...If you're watching NC because you find him to be insightful, I don't really even. If you're just being introduced to the idea of media criticism sure, but if not, and you claim to be interested in the discipline, it's time to level up and read some more insightful critics whose goal is actual criticism and not entertainment of 13-year olds first.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I think it was JO who did the really good Trigun videos that ended up on TGWTG, so in some weird tangential way doug is responsible for good media criticism getting seen by people which is always a good thing. So I'd thank him for that if I met him. Which I probably will, in hell.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Attitude Era podcast is bad with the horrendous WWE Originals CD https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

Ever want to hear Rey Mysterio sing a song called "Crossing Borders" ? Or 4 songs by Stone Cold? This is for you!

With an extra disucssion of the best and worst of entrance themes. Bray Wyatt still has the best :colbert:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Jay O posted:

Kind of? I get this in a "watching the origin" thing, I don't personally understand it in a "I continue to watch his stuff weekly even now" thing. Kinda like watching The Simpsons regularly now, but solely because of its relevance to the existence of animated comedies. Why not just watch Rick and Morty at that point? Or watch old episodes of The Simpsons you may have missed, on their own?

The metaphor is stretched, but you get what I mean, I hope. You don't watch things for cultural relevance purposes for that long, the purpose wears out long before then, and then it's just hundreds of episodes of wasted time. You either find NC to be funny or you don't, and watch based on that, I would think.

...If you're watching NC because you find him to be insightful, I don't really even. If you're just being introduced to the idea of media criticism sure, but if not, and you claim to be interested in the discipline, it's time to level up and read some more insightful critics whose goal is actual criticism and not entertainment of 13-year olds first.

That's definitely true. I was mostly thinking of it in the other direction, really. Yeah, he's unbearable now, and I haven't watched vids regularly in years, but that doesn't invalidate the better early stuff that was more... dude with good nerd charisma talks into a camera about a movie you probably haven't thought about in years. For how bad he is now it can be kinda hard to appreciate how he shaped the whole field, kind of in the same way as the Simpsons

Granted this is all getting kinda meta and my original response was probably to someone talking specifically about more recent episodes. I guess all I'm saying is Doug isn't totally worth writing off just because he's hard to watch now

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldTennisCourt posted:

With an extra disucssion of the best and worst of entrance themes. Bray Wyatt still has the best :colbert:

Anyone I know that's into wrassling absolutely loves Wyatt's entrance with the arena going dark and all his little "fireflies" lighting up as he walks to the ring.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tracula posted:

Anyone I know that's into wrassling absolutely loves Wyatt's entrance with the arena going dark and all his little "fireflies" lighting up as he walks to the ring.

It kills me that Wyatt's been used so loving badly. A dude whose gimmick is essentially being the crazy guy from True Detective who has really good promo skills and really good in ring work sounds loving awesome. His whole entrance his amazing.

Seriously, if you don't watch wrestling at least try to check out the Shield Vs. Wyatt Family match from last year's Elimination Chamber, it's so awesome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn't Doug want to stop doing NC after To Boldly Flee, but the stuff he really wanted to do like Demo Reel didn't get much in the way of hits? So if the quality is suffering it's at least partially because he doesn't really want to do it. I know James Rolfe slowed down on doing regular AVGN videos because he got tired of the over the top gimmick parts of the character. Plus he's been doing that for a decade at this point.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
NC videos are just too drat long. 30 minutes of watching a screetchy scream into a camera is too much to ask of the audience. I admit I did used to somewhat enjoy the reviews before RLM started putting out far superior content. It had a sort of MST3K appeal. But NC just couldn't carry it on his own. It did work better when he had guest reviewers and the movie he picked was a particularly good stinker, or one that was generally interesting to me (I discovered The Thief and the Cobbler through him). At first, I found his schtick funny, but over the years I grew more irritated by the character he was playing and was more interested in the more straight-forward "Doug Reviews".

He actually can be a good and insightful reviewer when he wants to be, but, when he's not over-acting in his awful skits, he too often spends way too much time summing up the plot of the films, and not enough time on the analysis. Nowadays, I can't watch more than 2 minutes of a video without shutting it off. I don't know if he sucks more now, or if my standards have risen. He was never my favorite internet critic, but I used to be able to throw his poo poo on the background while I played a video game or something. I can't even do that anymore it's that bad. It's been almost a year since I watched one of his reviews. I checked back on the site recently and noticed it looks completely different, a lot of the reviewers I liked have left, and it looks like things have really fallen apart there. Oh well. How was that fifth anniversary thing? What was it? Uncanny Valley? I couldn't be bothered to watch that one.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 21, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't Doug want to stop doing NC after To Boldly Flee, but the stuff he really wanted to do like Demo Reel didn't get much in the way of hits? So if the quality is suffering it's at least partially because he doesn't really want to do it. I know James Rolfe slowed down on doing regular AVGN videos because he got tired of the over the top gimmick parts of the character. Plus he's been doing that for a decade at this point.

That and NC was pretty much the main draw of the site. Guess what happened when the reviews dried up!

I don't know if post-reboot NC managed to regain the original viewership or if it only delayed the inevitable. I guess something happened because they're still around but I remember hearing things were pretty dire for awhile and I have no doubt that it "influenced" his decision to come back.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I think a huge part of NC's original appeal was that he was talking about stuff that there weren't already a ton of opinions out there about it. He was the first to talk about a lot of things he reviewed at the beginning so he was kinda fresh. But a lot of his recent stuff is stuff that he can't bring any new insight to. So he's pushing really hard to be funny and it's not working.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
NC's original appeal was that he was the first not completely obscure AVGN rip-off.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gianthogweed posted:

NC videos are just too drat long. 30 minutes of watching a screetchy scream into a camera is too much to ask of the audience. I admit I did used to somewhat enjoy the reviews before RLM started putting out far superior content. It had a sort of MST3K appeal. But NC just couldn't carry it on his own. It did work better when he had guest reviewers and the movie he picked was a particularly good stinker, or one that was generally interesting to me (I discovered The Thief and the Cobbler through him). At first, I found his schtick funny, but over the years I grew more irritated by the character he was playing and was more interested in the more straight-forward "Doug Reviews".

He actually can be a good and insightful reviewer when he wants to be, but, when he's not over-acting in his awful skits, he too often spends way too much time summing up the plot of the films, and not enough time on the analysis. Nowadays, I can't watch more than 2 minutes of a video without shutting it off. I don't know if he sucks more now, or if my standards have risen. He was never my favorite internet critic, but I used to be able to throw his poo poo on the background while I played a video game or something. I can't even do that anymore it's that bad. It's been almost a year since I watched one of his reviews. I checked back on the site recently and noticed it looks completely different, a lot of the reviewers I liked have left, and it looks like things have really fallen apart there. Oh well. How was that fifth anniversary thing? What was it? Uncanny Valley? I couldn't be bothered to watch that one.

I think one of the biggest problems for Doug is that in all this time, he has never evolved his schtick. I'm not sure whether it is lack of drive or lack of talent. My honest guess is a little of both.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I remember reading an interview with Freddie Wong (or one of the Rocketjump/Corridor Digital guys) where he talked about why so many of the big youtube celebrities stagnate, even though they're very driven people with the money and creative freedom to do whatever they want, and the reason was that pumping out the weekly/bi-weekly/whatever video took up so much time and energy that there was none left over to focus on improving.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Ok i have a question related to a book, a movie and a internet review.

So i was watching the new Midnight screening from team snob about the movie "the duff" the movie is dumb but halfway though it kind of get's dark with cyber bullying and gets sad at some point. one of them talked about how it was based on the book and wonder if the tone of the book was darker then a goofy film to get dr. ken a payday. i do wonder if the book was a safer tale about cyber bullying and not a goofy comedy and wonder if anyone know about the book.

Everything i heard about the movie IMO is sick, the girl is said to be ugly and fat when he looks like a normal teenage girl. i just wonder if the book was a better written product then what Hollywood farted out.

but i do wonder if lupa or Lindsey ever review late 90's eurly 2000's teen movies like she's all that and drives me crazy. i watch it for nostolga high.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Speaking of irregular reviewers (well... more like video essayist), MrBtongue has a defense of Django Unchained, uploaded two weeks ago but I initially missed it.

I imagine he has a day job; and he's mostly making these videos for fun. Maybe there's some reverse psychology going on, because I feel less guilty about sharing this guy's stuff because it doesn't brand itself as a clickbait channel that needs to constantly produce contentless content to stay afloat.

Also, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a good man with a lot of thoughtful things to say. It's time to end this feud.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Tracula posted:

Since I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I just like to imagine that Plinkett is literally my neighbor and that I have a psychopath who tortures women and reviews the Star Wars prequels just a stones throw away :v:

Well, I hate to say it, but for a long time this was the only thing I knew about Milwaukee. In fact, being as I'm not an American, it's still just about the only thing I know about Milwaukee.

I like some of RLM's stuff, but to be honest I only really watch best of the worst and wheel of the worst. I've never been that interested in watching a vlog with little in the way of visuals, rather listen to a podcast, so Half in the Bag doesn't hold much draw for me, and I've never bothered with Plinkett. But other people like that stuff, and that's great. But a good BOTW/WOTW is usually the funniest thing I've seen for quite a while.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
@ the people complaining about the Nostalgia Critic: I want to say that the show is hit-or-miss. Sometimes he makes good reviews along with goodish skits (The Last Airbender, Les Miserables), and other times he doesn't (Matrix month, though I admit I liked the Animatrix one). And despite sticking to his schtick, he does try different things every now and then. I would give examples, but it's late and I'm too tired to think.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but have the Cinema Snob and Linkara stuck to their schticks for about as long as Doug has?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

@ the people complaining about the Nostalgia Critic: I want to say that the show is hit-or-miss. Sometimes he makes good reviews along with goodish skits (The Last Airbender, Les Miserables), and other times he doesn't (Matrix month, though I admit I liked the Animatrix one). And despite sticking to his schtick, he does try different things every now and then. I would give examples, but it's late and I'm too tired to think.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but have the Cinema Snob and Linkara stuck to their schticks for about as long as Doug has?

Ya but Cinema Snob isnt totally annoying, and actually offers pretty good critiques.

Besides, Brad is awesome as are the bros.

http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-bros-cruisin-57-bloopers-7140044 This is seriously funny

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Speaking of Linkara, here he is demonstrating the batshit lunacy that goes into transferring the Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow to Emerald.

http://blip.tv/at4w/special-how-to-trade-gen-1-2-pokemon-into-gen-3-and-up-7162394

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Love him or hate him Linkara is consistent as gently caress. That guy has got to be one of the most obsessive compulsive reviewers out there. He has his schtick and he sticks to it. That being said, he's really good at his schtick and he's gotten better at it over the years. The one he did entirely in rhyme was brilliant, hilarious, and frightening at how obsessive it was:
http://blip.tv/at4w/at4w-272-star-trek-tng-2-6704374

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

JB50 posted:

Ya but Cinema Snob isnt totally annoying, and actually offers pretty good critiques.

I'm not entirely sure about that. His reviews are so insanely self-referential that if you watch a random one without watching the five hundred ones that came previously, you won't be able to understand what the hell he's talking about.
I'm sure he's a nice guy in real life and everything, but I don't think his reviews are accessible.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't Doug want to stop doing NC after To Boldly Flee, but the stuff he really wanted to do like Demo Reel didn't get much in the way of hits?

Now you get why I'm so partial to the Lorax review. Keep that in mind, keep in mind the actors involved, and watch the final rant about creativity again.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

I remember reading an interview with Freddie Wong (or one of the Rocketjump/Corridor Digital guys) where he talked about why so many of the big youtube celebrities stagnate, even though they're very driven people with the money and creative freedom to do whatever they want, and the reason was that pumping out the weekly/bi-weekly/whatever video took up so much time and energy that there was none left over to focus on improving.

You've got it in one. People go from doing something as a hobby and a part of the rest of their experiences to creating a product with a schedule as part of a job. It changes everything. Now tgwtg seems to be falling apart, or at least all the people I remember being funny or interesting before they started needing to do it to eat are leaving for new things, it's like they have a clean break.

Downside of course is that no-one will probably ever quite be what tgwtg was in sheer popularity at its height - but who wants that again?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doug Walker is such an rear end in a top hat, I mean, morally, a bad person, that I don't think it's an overstatement to say he deserves to fail.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Scorched Spitz posted:

Speaking of Linkara, here he is demonstrating the batshit lunacy that goes into transferring the Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow to Emerald.

http://blip.tv/at4w/special-how-to-trade-gen-1-2-pokemon-into-gen-3-and-up-7162394

This was a really good watch and legitimately fascinating. I love how much work has gone into circumventing the hard cutoff between gens 2 and 3, which exists because they completely changed the underlying stats and how they were calculated.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Doug Walker is such an rear end in a top hat, I mean, morally, a bad person, that I don't think it's an overstatement to say he deserves to fail.

*a statement backed up by literally none of the people posting in this thread who know him, most of whom have material reasons to dislike him

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

WickedHate posted:

My impression from what people who've worked with him have said is that he's just super dumb and naive and has trouble with understanding others' points of view, so he doesn't get why certain jokes are offensive as gently caress.

Whether that counts as rear end in a top hat or not I guess depends on your opinion. I tend to give people more leeway if they seem to be clueless instead of just callous. The former seems to be less of a choice and more a handicap.

Either way, I don't exactly like him as a person, and I think his sense of humor sucks, but I wouldn't personally say he deserves to fail. At least for that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's hard for me to accept ignorence as an excuse in 2015, especially for someone who's been an internet celebrity for years. I know I brought up the thing where he made a horrible comment about an actual hate crime victim before, but seriously, that was hosed up. He might as well have just posted a video that's just four minutes of him saying racial slurs over and over.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It's hard for me to accept ignorence as an excuse in 2015, especially for someone who's been an internet celebrity for years. I know I brought up the thing where he made a horrible comment about an actual hate crime victim before, but seriously, that was hosed up. He might as well have just posted a video that's just four minutes of him saying racial slurs over and over.

What was this thing he said about a hate crime victim?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

What was this thing he said about a hate crime victim?

I think I might have forgotten and mixed up The Crying Game with Boys Don't Cry, again, which is emberassing because that happened last time I mentioned it. Either way, he still used a transphobic slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If you think the average person in 2015 thinks that transphobia is bad, I've got some awful news for you.

• Locked thread