Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Changing gears a little, the author of Chain of Command tried Bolt Action, and wrote something about it.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=3674

Its a bummer they had him play the worst mission that nobody likes, heh. I enjoyed listening to him on M&M. I'm slogging through the CoC rules now - well written, pretty pages, but I don't know if I like the command dice mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Looks like Studio Tomahawk (Saga, M&T, Jugula) is jumping on the World War One bandwagon.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh yeah? That should be good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CoC's command Yahtzee plays a lot better than it reads. There are a lot of useful charts and stuff on the Yahoo TFL group which might help until you get it down.

No Pun Intended posted:

Looks like Studio Tomahawk (Saga, M&T, Jugula) is jumping on the World War One bandwagon.

Well this is great news. Is any more information available yet?

E: I found some rumours that it'll be 10mm. Weird.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 16, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

CoC's command Yahtzee plays a lot better than it reads. There are a lot of useful charts and stuff on the Yahoo TFL group which might help until you get it down.

Our group ended up introducing a house rule though, which limits you to one "double phase" at a time from rolling sixes. This was after the second game that ended up a non-game after one side got to take several phases in a row, and basically won without a chance to react.

A double-phase is good, but not game-breaking since a lot of your dice are tied up so that you usually only get 2-3 actions extra. Three, or even four, phases? That will often leave your opponent completely screwed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Found some more about the upcoming WWI game at this French blog:

quote:

Then the next game : 1914 Tomb of Innocence. A rule modeling the clash of the summer 1914, the war of movement and red pants in French . A range of figurine 10mm accompany this rule. Visually it's very nice but the format is unacceptable for me (via Google Translate)

As you can see, it takes place in 1914 before trench warfare, when soldiers fought shoulder-to-shoulder in tight box formation. :rolleyes:

There's also something about a game called CONGO! which looks like another 28mm Colonials skirmish game, because nothing sells toys like Imperialism.

I can't say either of these look promising to me. The WWI one looks like Napoleonics with the wrong uniforms, and I feel colonials gaming is a bit tacky and in bad taste. (:can:)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hmm, yeah, 1914 looks kind of annoying.

And I guess I understand your point on Congo, but it looks like fun despite that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Surely you can model the bases for 1914 to have a less rigid formation, I totally get that criticism but Flames of War has a similar issue where you can have Infantry advancing in what is effectively parade formation. I totally get the criticism, but some abstraction has to be done to actually make the game playable. Also, I do hope you are aware that in the early stages of WWI (and in the late stages in some case) manoeuvre warfare was indeed a thing, so I couldn't make a judgement on it till I see how it plays.

That being said, the WWI stuff doesn't really appeal to me :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, 1914 marching in columns straight into MG fire was still totally a thing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It also looks like it's in 6mm?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Says 10mm in the poorly-translated blurb

E: 6mm WWI would be pretty sweet, I could play huge battles on my little table.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
"the war of movement and red pants in French"

Lol nice. I am not very interested in 10mm Napoleonic tactics WW1 either

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
yeah that being said it does look pretty poo poo

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but Scribd recently announced their plan to be the "Netflix of books" with a $9 monthly subscription plan. I signed up for the free month trial, and discovered that, among the many books offered by various publishers (for example, Marvel and IDW recently signed a deal to make a bunch of their comics available), it looks like Osprey made a bunch of their historical military resource books and wargames rulebooks available. Including Bolt Action, which I had been interested in, and which basically justified the $9 subscription price all by its' lonesome. Now I just need to figure out which army I want to start putting together for BA here. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but Scribd recently announced their plan to be the "Netflix of books" with a $9 monthly subscription plan. I signed up for the free month trial, and discovered that, among the many books offered by various publishers (for example, Marvel and IDW recently signed a deal to make a bunch of their comics available), it looks like Osprey made a bunch of their historical military resource books and wargames rulebooks available. Including Bolt Action, which I had been interested in, and which basically justified the $9 subscription price all by its' lonesome. Now I just need to figure out which army I want to start putting together for BA here. :v:

Well I built a British Para army, since I reenact that, but then I realized I needed Germans to shoot at, so I also have a Heer army. And then I bought a Russian army too, sicne I also reenact that.

So... buy more than one, is my point. :)

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So, how's this sound for a fairly minimalist Canadian force:

code:
Flames of War Canadian Rifle Company(from Turning Tide)
590/600 Points

HQ
	Rifle Company HQ(25 points)
Combat Platoons
	1st Platoon(150 Points)
		3 Rifle Squads
	2nd Platoon(150 Points)
		3 Rifle Squads
	3rd Platoon(150 points)
		3 Rifle Squads
Weapons/Support Platoon
	Anti-Tank Platoon(60 points)
		1 AT Section
	MG Platoon(55 points)
		1 MG Section

Costs(from Battlefront):
	Basic company,  $47 USD
	AT Platoon(2 guns), $22 USD
	MG Platoon(2 sections), $13 USD

Total: $82 USD

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That's a decent starter force, I'd just be worried about you getting heavily out maneuvered with everything on foot like that. It might be worth trading in something to get some armor or planes. Artillery is going to give you a hard time as well since you don't have anything to shoot back at them, fortunately Canadians are good at sticking to cover, but I'd still hate to run into an opposing player fielding some nebelwerfers or similar.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well I built a British Para army, since I reenact that, but then I realized I needed Germans to shoot at, so I also have a Heer army. And then I bought a Russian army too, sicne I also reenact that.

So... buy more than one, is my point. :)

Oh, that's a given. My brother's also interested in BA as well, so once we figure out who wants to play what first, we'll get some stuff and go from there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That's a decent starter force, I'd just be worried about you getting heavily out maneuvered with everything on foot like that. It might be worth trading in something to get some armor or planes. Artillery is going to give you a hard time as well since you don't have anything to shoot back at them, fortunately Canadians are good at sticking to cover, but I'd still hate to run into an opposing player fielding some nebelwerfers or similar.
At 600 points you won't really have to worry that much about arty. Maybe a 75mm Grenadier Field Gun team or something, but they're re-rolling hits anyway. Basic mortars are far more likely. If anything I'd suggest swapping out an Infantry platoon for a mortar platoon. Checking fowlists.blogspot.com it seems that the 3rd Canadian Division from Turning Tide only pays 140 for rifle platoons rather than 150 (possibly an error with the site) and a full three-section Mortar platoon is just 145. Alternatively a pair of M10s of either kind is just 130 points, but you've basically painted targets on them for any AT that exists.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My 57mm AT showed up and jesus this thing is annoying. I forgot what a hassle dealing with pewter was :qq:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I was thinking of getting into Flames of War, but I don't really know where to start. Does anyone have any tips on how to start getting into this historical. All I have experience with is Warhammer 40k in regard to playing tabletop games.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 21, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I'm going to be playing in a Mid-War Flames of War tournament on Sunday, probably with my relatively new Russian army. For anyone who knows, a few questions:

-Is it worth it to take a Mixed Tankovy company? I have some KV-1e tanks that I want to field, and the ability to put some extra armor on my T-34s seems nice, but I vaguely remember hearing something along the lines of "Never take Mixed Tankovy" and I'd like to get the thread's perspective.
-Is the increase in numbers generally worth taking conscripts?
-Is there much of a visual difference between the KV-1e and the KV-1s, and could I proxy one for the other? Every image search I run brings up nothing but World of Tanks.
-Likewise, is it worth it to take the KV-2?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Is there much of a visual difference between the KV-1e and the KV-1s, and could I proxy one for the other? Every image search I run brings up nothing but World of Tanks.

They have different turrets. The KV-1e has the original turret, with extra armor, whereas the KV-1s has a rounder turret in order to save weight.
KV-1E

KV-1s

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

jadebullet posted:

So I was thinking of getting into Flames of War, but I don't really know where to start. Does anyone have any tips on how to start getting into this historical. All I have experience with is Warhammer 40k in regard to playing tabletop games.

The big difference between 40K and Flames of War, in my experience, is that while in 40K you run your units out of a singular army list in most cases, in Flames of War there isn't one single book for any given army. Instead, there are a number of different army lists you can potentially use to build an army, bunched into books that describe a single battle or campaign, somewhat like the Imperial Armor books if you have any experience with those. So right off the bat, you should figure out what kind of army interests you-infantry, tank, mechanized, etc, and look into which books offer those kinds of lists.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

jadebullet posted:

They have different turrets. The KV-1e has the original turret, with extra armor, whereas the KV-1s has a rounder turret in order to save weight.
KV-1E

KV-1s

Hmm. I could probably get away with proxying it, but it'd be nice if I could just take KV-1es in Guards Heavy Tank Companies and not have to worry about Hens and Chicks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jadebullet posted:

Get the starter kit. It has a mini-rulebook which has everything you'll need (the full rulebook just adds some modeling stuff and generic lists). It also has minis for two sides, so you can grab a friend and play.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Get the starter kit. It has a mini-rulebook which has everything you'll need (the full rulebook just adds some modeling stuff and generic lists). It also has minis for two sides, so you can grab a friend and play.

That sounds perfect for what I am looking for. Is the game as entertaining as it looks?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I like it, and it's a good bridge from 40k in to historicals.

You can get other 15mm stuff for cheaper, and that'll be fine, they're not strict like GW. And then you can always use that stuff with other rulesets, too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

jadebullet posted:

KV-1E

KV-1s

There are other differences but people that aren't huge spergs like me probably won't notice.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ensign Expendable posted:

There are other differences but people that aren't huge spergs like me probably won't notice.

For instance, the armored ball on the bow is replaced by a bouqet of flowers.

TBH that upgrade is fairly noticeable.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well the KV-1S was made in order to cut the weight, hence the lack of full tracks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

That ball is a pre-war style headlight. In combat it could flip down to protect the bulb from bullets. It was one of those things that was deemed frivolous when cranking out tanks in three shifts

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I'm going to be playing in a Mid-War Flames of War tournament on Sunday, probably with my relatively new Russian army. For anyone who knows, a few questions:

-Is it worth it to take a Mixed Tankovy company? I have some KV-1e tanks that I want to field, and the ability to put some extra armor on my T-34s seems nice, but I vaguely remember hearing something along the lines of "Never take Mixed Tankovy" and I'd like to get the thread's perspective.

I think the only real reason to use the mixed Tankovy is to do the "LOL 30 T-26!!" thing. Otherwise you are probably better off running Tankovy, which has all the same options but more of them.

quote:

-Is the increase in numbers generally worth taking conscripts?

I would say generally no. I've been playing conscript soviet armor a lot (though not as much in midwar) and it does well if you are super aggressive and keep your opponent on the back foot. But if you have to sit there and slug it out then you are screwed. Having heavy armor for the period helps though you end up with less tanks. Conscript infantry is fine if you defend, but attacking is brutal.

I highly recommend opting for trained whenever possible.

quote:

-Likewise, is it worth it to take the KV-2?

The SU-122 is better in every way that matters. That said, I have a KV-2 for shits and grins because its such a funny looking tank.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So with FOW, how much can you apply historical knowledge to how well a unit will actually perform. Are tanks more focused on historical capability, or are they adjusted in order to make things more balanced?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

jadebullet posted:

So with FOW, how much can you apply historical knowledge to how well a unit will actually perform. Are tanks more focused on historical capability, or are they adjusted in order to make things more balanced?

FOW is abstracted quite a bit, so its not necessary to know anything at all about WWII or how your particular army did things at company level (roughly the scale FOW sits in). It might actually be to your determent in some cases if you really try to stick to it.

But each faction does have it's own distinctive play style from their faction's specials rules (which supposedly are based on their historical doctrine, but don't think about it too hard) and their differing equipment. Even in cases where factions share equipment, trying to use an American Armor force like its a British one will lead headaches.

Not that Battlefront just made poo poo up when they created the game, at some point in the past they did a lot of research to come up with the system they have, and as long as you don't get too spergy about the details it approximates "what would have really happened" fairly well. But FOW doesn't force you do stick to strictly historical formations and tactics and as I said before, keeps things abstract in the interest of keeping the game moving.

Sometimes wonky stuff happens because of this, like the teleporting (think deep striking) US TD's, 20 tanks ambushing out of a single bush, and airplanes blockading a bridge but those tend to get fixed quickly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Here's the list I'm thinking of running:
pre:
Soviet Tankovy

Tank Company, Regular, from Eastern Front, page 188

Compulsory Tankovy Battalion HQ (p.189) - CinC T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 (75 pts)
- Tankodesantniki (15 pts)

Compulsory Medium Tankovy Company (p.190) - Command T-34 obr 1941 or 1942, 6x T-34 obr 1941 or 1942, 7x Tankodesantniki (585 pts)

Compulsory Medium Tankovy Company (p.190) - Command T-34 obr 1941 or 1942, 5x T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 (430 pts)
- Upgrade T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 to T-34/57 (10 pts)

Gvardeyskiy Tyazhelyy Tankovy Company (p.187) - Command KV-1s, 2x KV-1s (495 pts)

Dismounted Kazachiy Platoon (p.211) - Command Rifle/MG, 4x Rifle/MG (100 pts)
- 4x Replace Rifle/MG with SMG (0 pts)

1710 Points, 4 Platoons
Alternatively,
pre:
Soviet Mixed Tankovy

Tank Company, Guards, from Eastern Front, page 194

Compulsory Mixed Tankovy Battalion HQ (p.195) - use a tank from a combat company (0 pts)

Compulsory Mixed Light Tankovy Company (p.196) - Command T-70 obr 1942, 4x T-70 obr 1942 (210 pts)

Compulsory Mixed Medium Tankovy Company (p.196) - Command T-34 obr 1941 or 1942, 9x T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 (795 pts)

Compulsory Mixed Heavy Tank Company (p.197) - Command KV-1e, 3x KV-1e (560 pts)

Strelkovy Company (p.218) - Command SMG, 9x Rifle (145 pts)

1710 Points, 4 Platoons
One thing I'm considering with both lists is dropping the number of tanks so I can field some Katyushas, and hopefully use them to blow up any fixed AT guns or enemy artillery. At the same time though, I want to take advantage of the Soviets getting big ol' tank platoons, and laugh my way to the bank as their shots bounce harmlessly off my KV-1e tanks. Does either list look particularly deadly?

Edit: I wish I had access to some KV-85s, since those look to be absolutely deadly in Mid-War.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 21, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

jadebullet posted:

A good idea would be to check if people are already playing in your area. For example, if there is a very active local community that just love to play Late War, it would be a good idea to buy a Late War force. A ton of equipment and troops look similar enough throughout the war, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with you fielding a Panzer IV Ausf A as an Ausf J, but it will affect what toys you have to bring to the table.

My own way to approach a new historical game is to read up on the period. If I'm completely new to the period, like I was to the Napoleonic Wars, I'll pick up some books that covers the period in general, just to get a feel to the forces involved and how they fought. If I already have some background, like when I started with WW2, I'll pick up books that cover specific theaters or battles. In this case, for example, I read The Longest Siege about the Battle of Tobruk, and that instantly made me want to do a Commonwealth North Africa force once I'm done with my Germans.

For me, this approach gets me far more invested in the project than just reading up on which army lists are the strongest. Other people, who might be more into it as a game primarily, might like a completely different approach. But I'd say start out with reading up about different forces, for WW2 there's tons of stuff just from Wikipedia and free documentaries on youtube.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Here's the list I'm thinking of running:

One thing I'm considering with both lists is dropping the number of tanks so I can field some Katyushas, and hopefully use them to blow up any fixed AT guns or enemy artillery. At the same time though, I want to take advantage of the Soviets getting big ol' tank platoons, and laugh my way to the bank as their shots bounce harmlessly off my KV-1e tanks. Does either list look particularly deadly?

Not really.

The Tankovy list suffers in that it has no recon, and a 5 stand conscript infantry platoon that is there I'm assuming to bring up the platoon count. I know there are lots of guys who insist that infantry are the best for assaulting other infantry and that most tank lists should have a platoon of them for this purpose, but think about what 5 conscript infantry teams gets you. There is no way they are getting through any defensive fire, and vet infantry is just going to murder what's left if they did. They are also on foot so they are just going to be left behind in most games and do nothing, if not get hunted down by 8-Rad patrols for an easy VP.

It just so happens that 4 BA-64 Armored cars are also 100 points, and its a no brainier to replace the infantry with them. Tank forces should never see the table without Recon (unless you have no recon option then yuck).

KV's are good tanks, but personally I don't see where they belong in a tankovy list. That is a lot of points invested in a hand-full of tanks that are no better than a T-34 save when assaulting infantry. Before you can assault you are generally going to have to kill your opponents guns and tanks, or at least maul them badly enough they have no further input on the course of the game. And for this purpose you really want more firepower (as in number of rounds going down range), so I think that you would be better off replacing them with 8-10 T-70's or Stuarts and investing the remaining points into more T-34's.

The list is probably fine if you just swap out the infantry for recon.

The Mixed Tankovy list suffers the same, though now only 2 platoons instead of 3 can carry their own weight.

Katyusha's are ok if you have no other means of pinning infantry, are expecting huge swarm infantry lists (other soviets, some American lists) and don't have the MG fire to do the pinning for you. In a proper Tankovy list they don't make much sense since you should have enough MG dice to do any pinning you need.

The list I would put together would be:

1x T-34 Command Tank with Mariya

8x T-34's, 3 upgraded to 57's

8x T-34's, 3 upgraded to 57's

10x M3 Stuarts

5x BA-10M (Fearless Trained)

1705 poitns.

The plan is simple, overwhelm the enemy with tanks!!!

The T-34 platoons are big enough that most German players will play the shoot and scoot game (Move, shoot, then stormtrooper behind something) because they won't want to risk getting blown to pieces by the concentrated fire of that many tanks. This is to your advantage because it will cut the their fire down by half. The T-34/57s will have a similar effect if any Tigers appear. Keep one platoon stationary while moving the other up, then repeat with the other platoon moving this time.

The Stuarts are a good flanking force and should be be your first choice for assaults since they are more expendable. Their AT7 gun is also nothing to sneeze at especially if you get around to the sides. Get them in stuck in the enemy's rear area and you have won.

The Armored cars can be used similarly to the Stuarts, for flanking and such, but should hang out with the T-34's for removing GTG (worth it every time).

The only thing I couldn't fit in that I wanted to was Shturmoviks (without compromising one of the other platoons) but oh well.

You will have enough MG dice flying around that stuff you want pinned will be pinned, and you are going to kill stuff with them by brute force numbers.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

lilljonas posted:

A good idea would be to check if people are already playing in your area. For example, if there is a very active local community that just love to play Late War, it would be a good idea to buy a Late War force. A ton of equipment and troops look similar enough throughout the war, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with you fielding a Panzer IV Ausf A as an Ausf J, but it will affect what toys you have to bring to the table.

My own way to approach a new historical game is to read up on the period. If I'm completely new to the period, like I was to the Napoleonic Wars, I'll pick up some books that covers the period in general, just to get a feel to the forces involved and how they fought. If I already have some background, like when I started with WW2, I'll pick up books that cover specific theaters or battles. In this case, for example, I read The Longest Siege about the Battle of Tobruk, and that instantly made me want to do a Commonwealth North Africa force once I'm done with my Germans.

For me, this approach gets me far more invested in the project than just reading up on which army lists are the strongest. Other people, who might be more into it as a game primarily, might like a completely different approach. But I'd say start out with reading up about different forces, for WW2 there's tons of stuff just from Wikipedia and free documentaries on youtube.

I am not sure if anyone is actually playing in the area, though I am sure that I could eventually find someone. (I live in the Philly area) That being said, my fiancee is interested in playing FOW with me, which will be fun. In any case, I picked up the starter set.

As for reading up on the period, I have been interested in WWII ever since I was young, so it is difficult to pick a single period at the moment. Really, I enjoy painting and modeling, so that has an appeal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I live in the Allentown area where there's some FoW played, but it seems like Flames is bigger in Philly. Plus there's at least two Lancaster cons, so I don't imagine you'd have much trouble finding a game.

The big Showcase Comics has more FoW than I've ever seen in one place (outside of a con) so it follows that's a good place to start.