Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How did Battle of the Gods break GT? Not that I mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Firstborn posted:

In that Goku is even remotely as strong as the god of destruction, mainly. All of these people being super goddamn stronger than him was already pushing the bounds of plausibility to begin with, but being competitive with Beerus? Surely, even as a child, most of his opponents in GT would prove no real threat.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 21, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Firstborn posted:

It didn't really. The only inconsistency is GT Goku not having God powers and Pilaf being an adult. But either of those could be explained away easily. I fully expect Revival of F to put the last nail in the coffin for GT though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
GT was already 100% non canon(more so then just not being by Toriyama) when the Toriyama approved Online game came out and offically replaced GT as the future of the Z Fighter's post Buu saga. I don't know if that's still canon or not. Xenoverse uses the same villians and Time Patrol Trunks, but Online had a lot of details about the lives of the characters after the manga, like Goku and Vegeta apparently mutual killing each other in one last fight when they got old, and present Trunks starting a sword school.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You know what? I loving love this series/franchise/universe.

I remember in the earlier thread, someone said that this recent DB revival was like having all of our fanfiction ideas come true. And that's exactly right. I've always wanted to see Freeza "come back", and now it's going to happen. There's still so many places this franchise can go. I hope they continue to make more movies.

edited to add:

Oh, and gently caress those disparaging comments on that Kanzenshuu website. The premise of this movie is so simple and elegant: what if Freeza got wished back to life, and decided to actually buckle down and train? It's such a simple straightforward idea, and it makes perfect sense within the rules that this universe runs on: training makes you stronger and you can always get stronger. Compare this to Dragon Ball Multiverse where suddenly Freeza is like a psychic mind wizard because Majin Boo beamed fake memories into his head.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 21, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blue Star posted:

You know what? I loving love this series/franchise/universe.

I remember in the earlier thread, someone said that this recent DB revival was like having all of our fanfiction ideas come true. And that's exactly right. I've always wanted to see Freeza "come back", and now it's going to happen. There's still so many places this franchise can go. I hope they continue to make more movies.

Hell yeah. Dragon Ball Z is just so great. It's a series I grew up on and I'm so happy it's still chugging along. It's like anime Star Wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never actually was that big into Dragonball. I enjoyed it but I never got super into it. It's weirdly DBZA that has gotten me back into it.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I never actually was that big into Dragonball. I enjoyed it but I never got super into it. It's weirdly DBZA that has gotten me back into it.

That's actually true for me, as well. I enjoyed it back in the late 90s/early 00s, then sort of grew out of it and was embarressed I ever liked it. Then in late 2012 I discovered DBZA and DBM. Then Battle of Gods came out, and now more and more stuff keeps coming out and I'm liking it more than I ever did in 2001. Maybe because back then I actually took it seriously and then realized how silly and goofy it was, and now I'm appreciating the silliness and goofiness?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I never got out of DBZ. It's super iconic for me and I don't regret any of it. It had a massive effect on lil kid WickedHate.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think a lot of people that watched DBZ as kids on Toonami and are now entering their early to mid-20's are just realizing that it actually is okay to genuinely love silly goofy things from their youth without being needlessly detached and ironic about it OR being that kind of nerd that doesn't actually derive joy from the material they claim to love. The DBZ Abridged guys understood this, and that is why their parody is a loving one, and not spiteful and mean like so many others that have already been forgotten.

For all its flaws, it actually is okay to think that Dragon Ball Z is cool and awesome.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So what if Vegeta became a SS god next movie to fight Freeza?

Because that would be the raddest thing in my book.

Raxivace posted:

I think a lot of people that watched DBZ as kids on Toonami and are now entering their early to mid-20's are just realizing that it actually is okay to genuinely love silly goofy things from their youth without being needlessly detached and ironic about it OR being that kind of nerd that doesn't actually derive joy from the material they claim to love. The DBZ Abridged guys understood this, and that is why their parody is a loving one, and not spiteful and mean like so many others that have already been forgotten.

For all its flaws, it actually is okay to think that Dragon Ball Z is cool and awesome.

I think you're honestly wrong about any of us needing to reach this stage. The most I'd give you is some of us being comfortable enough in our love for DBZ needing to reach a point where we can appreciate some of the sillier moments. I think most millennials understand what the most desirable aspects of the entire series are, and it's the vocal minority that complains when it isn't a dumb strongman anime.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 21, 2015

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Raxivace posted:

The DBZ Abridged guys understood this, and that is why their parody is a loving one, and not spiteful and mean like so many others that have already been forgotten.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Super Saiyan God Gogeta is a must.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

lol I think you mean Vegito

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WickedHate posted:

they need 5 saiyans and the reciever, unless fusion would let it work still. There's Pan, Goten, Trunks, Gohan, And then what? they space-skype tarble?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Onmi posted:

they need 5 saiyans and the reciever, unless fusion would let it work still. There's Pan, Goten, Trunks, Gohan, And then what? they space-skype tarble?

Well, if you ever needed a reason to revive Cell...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

Vegeta would go God, and then they fuse. But yes, Tarble should be in this movie too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

I don't think Bulla is specifically un-canon yet, just not exactly canon? Very easily inserted, to be sure.

I am also pro-Tarble, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Well, if you ever needed a reason to revive Cell...

YES

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Onmi posted:

Well, SSJ Goten and SSJ Trunks turned into SSJ Gotenks, so SSG Goku and SSG Vegeta should turn into SSG Gogeta. Goku and Vegeta each help the other to hit Super Saiyan God and then they fuse.

I certainly wouldn't oppose more Tarble though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

Well, SSJ Goten and SSJ Trunks turned into SSJ Gotenks, so SSG Goku and SSG Vegeta should turn into SSG Gogeta. Goku and Vegeta each help the other to hit Super Saiyan God and then they fuse.

I certainly wouldn't oppose more Tarble though.

It's not like they couldn't use Goku too, anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like you should need another set of five Saiyans to have more than one SSG at a time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

YggiDee posted:

I feel like you should need another set of five Saiyans to have more than one SSG at a time.

Yeah but who that matters gives a gently caress?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Maybe just have God Vegeta and SSJ3 Goku, that's probably a close enough power gap to get God Vegeta. Of course, given the rules of fusion, that transformation would last about... 1 minute?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

Maybe just have God Vegeta and SSJ3 Goku, that's probably a close enough power gap to get God Vegeta. Of course, given the rules of fusion, that transformation would last about... 1 minute?

Potara Earrings motherfucker

Smash GT in half and never speak of it again, that's honestly the best option

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

Well Potara don't give a gently caress.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't think Bulla is specifically un-canon yet, just not exactly canon? Very easily inserted, to be sure.

I am also pro-Tarble, though.

She's canon, she appeared in the final 10-year timeskip during the tournament with Uub.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mmkay posted:

She's canon, she appeared in the final 10-year timeskip during the tournament with Uub.

Well then, even easier. It's really easy to forget that last bit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

They could also use the Dragon Balls to revive Raditz, and have HIM train and Zenkai boost, and then have Raditz vs Frieza.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

They could also use the Dragon Balls to revive Raditz, and have HIM train and Zenkai boost, and then have Raditz vs Frieza.

Not if these guys use the second wish for Bulma's panties.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Onmi posted:

Honestly bringing back a few Saiyans and making it clear they don't stand a chance against even the children so they better shape up would be hilarious to me.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Man, bringing back Raditz and Nappa, and have Vegeta order them to beat each other up for about a year straight to get Zenkais would be amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

Man, bringing back Raditz and Nappa, and have Vegeta order them to beat each other up for about a year straight to get Zenkais would be amazing.

Bring back Bardock. have him and Raditz train under Goten.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Just imagining him with a Bad Man shirt.

Oh god. Is the Badman shirt in Xenoverse?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Potara Earrings motherfucker

Smash GT in half and never speak of it again, that's honestly the best option

GT has a bunch of ideas that sound really cool on paper. Making the Dragon Ball hunt into an actual adventure again? Cool. All the old villains escape hell and invade Earth? Awesome, even though they already did that in the Janemba movie. Having the Dragon Balls be corrupted from the constant wish making over the years and turning them into villains? That sounds amazing.

Did any of that live up to its potential? Not really, Omega Shenron looks kind of cool I guess, though he looks more like a second form for Dabura than an evil dragon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Except Super 17. That was completely pointless and I don't know why that arc exists.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Thinking about it, if Cell had escaped Hell during the Super 17 part and then ate super 17 to become super perfect or some poo poo, that could've been neat.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shyrka posted:

Thinking about it, if Cell had escaped Hell during the Super 17 part and then ate super 17 to become super perfect or some poo poo, that could've been neat.

Dragon Ball Heroes has a Super 17 that absorbed Cell somehow:

I have no idea how that works.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Revive Cell, have him learn the fusion dance with Freeza.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Except Super 17. That was completely pointless and I don't know why that arc exists.
Android 17 has always been popular for a relatively minor villain.

So naturally the best way to capitalize on that is to bring him back and completely change his appearance and personality.

• Locked thread