Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

DemeaninDemon posted:

What concentration? Nitric acid's a big reagent when it comes to this thread.

No idea, but probably not concentrated enough to use directly in synthesis reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Over in another thread, I learned that there's currently clinical trials for using Ketamine (vet tranquilizer-turned-rave drug) to combat severe depression in humans.

e: found the link:
Ketamine's actually a really good anaesthetic because it doesn't suppress breathing like most anaesthetics and painkillers. Legend has it that Finnish military doctors did emergency G-E surgery with the patient spontaneously breathing under ketamine anesthesia.

We also use it as a pre-surgery medication for kids. Couple it with a benzodiazepine and you have a kid who will not mind going into a scary operating theatre one bit.

back to lurking

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Illegal Username posted:

Ketamine's actually a really good anaesthetic because it doesn't suppress breathing like most anaesthetics and painkillers. Legend has it that Finnish military doctors did emergency G-E surgery with the patient spontaneously breathing under ketamine anesthesia.

We also use it as a pre-surgery medication for kids. Couple it with a benzodiazepine and you have a kid who will not mind going into a scary operating theatre one bit.

back to lurking

Man, can I get operated on by some nutty Finnish doctors?

Gobbeldygook posted:

I found this study a couple months ago. At John Hopkins, they are studying "Effects of Hallucinogens and Other Drugs on Mood and Performance".

Also, those volunteers are going to have a kickass time. They literally signed up to do every major (and several niche) recreational drug you can think of. And placebos, thereof of course.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

The Lone Badger posted:

Nitric acid is a precursor for... pretty much any explosive you care to name.

To the point that it's production is one of the first things covered in the Army's Improvised Munitions Handbook.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

TerminalSaint posted:

Army's Improvised Munitions Handbook.
That sounds like the Most Fun Book Ever

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It's not hard to find online, just search for TM 31-210.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It is just that fun. Turning aspirin into Picric Acid is one of the standout formulas.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Over in another thread, I learned that there's currently clinical trials for using Ketamine (vet tranquilizer-turned-rave drug) to combat severe depression in humans.

I applied to be in a similar trial last year. The doses of Ketamine were higher than the doses listed in the trial you linked and were given via IV at the hospital along with another drug that blocked the hallucinogenic activity so you'd get the benefit of the K without any of its dissociative effects.

The tech I talked to was surprised that I wanted to keep talking after I found that out. He said that they get a poo poo ton of inquiries about it and the vast majority lose interest once they find out that they aren't going to be given a bag of drugs and turned loose in the street.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

KozmoNaut posted:

I love everyday radioactivity, so I have one of these tritium marker lights on my keychain:

It'll glow for ~10 years, not bright enough to see with the lights on, but very striking in the dark. And it's got that fluorescent "nuclear" glow that we all love from movies and cartoons etc.

I have several hanging from the bookshelves along the wall next to my bed. I used to have a habit of running into the corners at night when I was bleary. Now the corners each have a tritium light, so I don't ram my skull into them at 2AM. Technically, this is illegal, as tritium is not supposed to be used for "trivial purposes" in the United States. Gun sights are one of the few approved uses. However, I consider avoiding brain damage due to being barely awake to be nontrivial.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Illegal Username posted:

back to lurking

It's also becoming more common in emergency medicine as an analgesic, and particularly as a sedative for endotracheal intubation. First comes 1-2mg/kg ketamine, then an appropriate dose of a neuromuscular blocking agent ("paralytic") and voila, easiest intubations ever. Plus, at that dose of special K, the patient gets to benefit from the powerful dissociative effects as well as the amnestic effects. You won't even remember what happened that led to you being intubated. It's like a miracle drug!

Except when it provokes psychotic episodes, but hey, can't win 'em all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

KillHour posted:

Piranha solution is sulfuric acid and H2O2, not nitric acid. I've used it for REALLY stubborn drain clogs where the sulfuric alone couldn't handle it.

Edit: Beaten :doh:

Doesn't this kill sewage bacteria? Probably not a good idea because you want them alive to break down your poo poo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Doesn't this kill sewage bacteria? Probably not a good idea because you want them alive to break down your poo poo.

Only in concentrated form. By the time it gets into the sewage treatment plant, it will be diluted to homeopathic levels.

Additonally, HOOH slowly breaks down into water and O2 by itself.

I wouldn't worry about this. There's worse things you can pour down the drain.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Only in concentrated form. By the time it gets into the sewage treatment plant, it will be diluted to homeopathic levels.

How's it handle plastic pipes? I've got a stubborn clog that might require something stronger than lye, but if it melts the pipes that's obviously no good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

How's it handle plastic pipes? I've got a stubborn clog that might require something stronger than lye, but if it melts the pipes that's obviously no good.

A quick google tells me that while hydrogen peroxide itself doesn't harm plastic, piranha solution can. Be careful with that stuff.

Other than lye, there's also simply acid-based drain cleaner, often sulfuric acid. You could try that.

Or you could try the home remedy listed on quite a few websites: pour down baking soda followed by vinegar. The idea is that this causes a vigorous reaction creating a lot of CO2 which works the clog loose. I don't know how well that works in practice, though.

Personally I had the most luck with mechanical ways of cleaning it. The good ol' plunger and if that doesn't work, a drain snake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

This stuff is what I typically use for shower drains that get hair and gunk stuck in them:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Instant-Power-67-6-oz-Hair-and-Grease-Drain-Opener-1970/100169339

To be clear, the reason I used piranha was because the clog I was trying to get out was some sort of crazy mold that had built up in my basement's slop sink drain after someone who shall not be named dumped a crock pot of old chili down it. It was me. I'm the idiot.

I started by pouring about 2 cups of concentrated sulfuric acid down there (that I bought from Duda Energy via Amazon. Unfortunately, Amazon no longer carries the stuff so you have to go straight to the manufacturer's website). When that was obviously not doing anything to the furry bastard, I chased it by (SLOWLY) pouring 34% hydrogen peroxide (the only place I found to get that stuff is from those stupid homeopathic companies that want you to put a drop of it in a glass of water and drink it. loving stupid, but it beats the poo poo out of trying to make your own on the stove) on top. That pretty much immediately turned the whole thing into the world's grossest milkshake, which I could wash down just fine with cold water.

This should go without saying, but do this in a well ventilated area don't do this at all.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
That stuff from homedepot is just a NaOH (~50%)/KOH (~3%) solution. It's probably cheaper to buy the pellets and just make your own solution, FYI.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samopsa posted:

That stuff from homedepot is just a NaOH (~50%)/KOH (~3%) solution. It's probably cheaper to buy the pellets and just make your own solution, FYI.

Yeah, those pellets are for sale in supermarkets here, usually in plastic bottles labeled as drain cleaner.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Some meatheads in my high school chem class liked to drop pencils and pens down the drain of the lab sinks, which naturally then clogged up. So he just waltzed back to the chem closet and grabbed a jar of straight lye (NaOH) pellets and dumped a generous handful (not with his actual hands :gonk:) down the (backed up) drain, completely dissolved the writing utensils. Sink ran real fast after that.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

KillHour posted:

This stuff is what I typically use for shower drains that get hair and gunk stuck in them:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Instant-Power-67-6-oz-Hair-and-Grease-Drain-Opener-1970/100169339

Will try that then, or possibly lye pellets as others suggested. Have also tried snaking the drain, but that couldn't find anything. It's maddening; the first 10+ feet of pipe are clear as anything, but water still won't drain.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Carbon dioxide posted:

You might be right, I may have been confusing it with something else. The otherwise-nice histology lady sent out an angry allstaff email warning us to not discard of formaldehyde down the sink.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

Will try that then, or possibly lye pellets as others suggested. Have also tried snaking the drain, but that couldn't find anything. It's maddening; the first 10+ feet of pipe are clear as anything, but water still won't drain.

If lye/caustic soda hasn't worked, try sulfuric acid. Caustic soda is good for fatty blockages, acid is good for proteinaceous ones (hair etc).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

If lye/caustic soda hasn't worked, try sulfuric acid. Caustic soda is good for fatty blockages, acid is good for proteinaceous ones (hair etc).

And if sulfuric acid alone isn't working... well, you know the drill by now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny was a chemist's son
But Johnny is no more
Cuz what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I wonder if anyone's ever used aqua regia as a drain cleaner...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fucknag posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever used aqua regia as a drain cleaner...

If they did, I just hope their tubes weren't made of any metal...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd rather have Aqua Vitae to Aqua fortis or Aqua Regia.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

My friend swears that her grandpa drinks a shot of 30% hydrogen peroxide every day, and has done so for decades. He supposedly thinks it's good for his health. Is his esophagus just a huge mass of scar tissue by now?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hopefully he's actually drinking 70% water and 30% ordinary 3-6% H2O2.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Personally I just drink carbonated beverages when I want something foamy.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If its the stuff you buy at the store, he's drinking diluted 3-6% H202 and then adding more water to it, making it even more diluted. It's probably not a smart thing to be doing, but it probably won't hurt him.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I know (dilute) peroxide can be used as a mouthwash, but who the hell drinks it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

I know (dilute) peroxide can be used as a mouthwash, but who the hell drinks it?

peroxymorons

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

A White Guy posted:

If its the stuff you buy at the store, he's drinking diluted 3-6% H202 and then adding more water to it, making it even more diluted. It's probably not a smart thing to be doing, but it probably won't hurt him.

It's not; he gets the 30% stuff and doesn't water it down.

e: But of course, I'm only hearing this third hand, so it's entirely possible the story got messed up somewhere along the way.

ol qwerty bastard has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Feb 22, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

It's not; he gets the 30% stuff and doesn't water it down.

e: But of course, I'm only hearing this third hand, so it's entirely possible the story got messed up somewhere along the way.

Your uncle had a PEX esophagus?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

thespaceinvader posted:

Most recreational drugs started out in medical uses
Heroin has been mentioned, but nobody brought up that it was originally a trademarked brand name.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I knew someone who had tritium night sights on a gun for coon hunting. He used to leave it under a lamp for a few hours so it would charge with light sorta like those glow in the dark stars you stick to your bedroom ceiling.

Kinda neat to know its a radioactive gas shooting off beta particles that make phosphorous light up

Pookum has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Mar 9, 2015

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of radioactive stuff, I saw a cool video of radioactive elements put into a cloud chamber:

Americium-241
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H94nwmlPLY0

Radon-220
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q252mAH7hnI

Thorium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo0w4LNNvt0

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pookum posted:

I knew someone who had tritium night sights on a gun for coon hunting. He used to leave it under a lamp for a few hours so it would charge with light sorta like those glow in the dark stars you stick to your bedroom ceiling.

If it needs charging it's not tritium - that just glows all the time (when mixed with the right phosphor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Delivery McGee posted:

Heroin has been mentioned, but nobody brought up that it was originally a trademarked brand name.

You gotta wonder when they stopped trying to defend that trademark.

"Yeah, that drug we introduced as a less addictive alternative to morphine? Um...oops?"