Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

There is a tried and true solution to your lack of foresight that will work in the majority of groups: perform increasingly reckless stunts until you die, and then reroll as something better. If by some miracle you fail to die, then maybe you're badass enough that it doesn't matter. Or you're severely lacking in player skill and should take some remedial courses in risk mismanagement.

If I knew the player was going to do this I would just straight-up let him remake the character. Maybe talk to the DM about it? It really comes down to the player having a concept in mind, then trying to find a mechanical way to express that concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah just hash out a build restructure with your group, it shouldn't be that big a deal. Frankly it's silly for a group to not allow that since the alternative is for someone to just suicide their character and reroll that way.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
It's less about me wanting to switch characters and more about me being angry that such a garbage class was included like it was a real option as good as anything else.

I was just sitting here thinking about what an Eldritch Knight actually gets (extremely limited spells+a bunch of nigh-worthless crap that doesn't synergzie worth a drat) when I realized I was taking 20 levels to get a gimped Level 7 Spellcaster with 20 levels of loving-Nothing Fighter, when instead I could have a non-gimped Level 8 Spellcaster (with whatever specialization on top of that) and 12 levels of At-Least-Something Fighter.

I just miss the 4e Swordmage so much.

Anyway, related question to all this: does the Sorcerer's Draconic Resilience ("When you aren't wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier") still work when using a shield? The Monk's Unarmored Defense specifically says you can't use a shield with it, and the Barbarian's Unarmored Dense specifically says you can use a shield with it, but Draconic Resilience doesn't specify at all. I would assume this means you can still get the benefit with a shield, but God knows what Natural Language intended.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Solid Jake posted:

It's less about me wanting to switch characters and more about me being angry that such a garbage class was included like it was a real option as good as anything else.

The true D&D starts here.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that sounds like the real D&D experience to me - realizing you hosed up and forgot to play some form of full caster.

I wonder if people would have liked 4e if all martial classes had Wizard appended to them. Rogue-Wizard. Fighter-Wizard. Warlord-Wizard. No verisimilitude lost you see.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 20, 2015

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Solid Jake posted:

Anyway, related question to all this: does the Sorcerer's Draconic Resilience ("When you aren't wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier") still work when using a shield? The Monk's Unarmored Defense specifically says you can't use a shield with it, and the Barbarian's Unarmored Dense specifically says you can use a shield with it, but Draconic Resilience doesn't specify at all. I would assume this means you can still get the benefit with a shield, but God knows what Natural Language intended.

Personally, I'd let you use a shield. Keep in mind that you need a hand free to cast spells with Somatic Components though. IIRC, War Caster gets around that, but it's not like the whole thing becomes dangerous to game balance or anything at that point.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
This was in my notes as a fix to Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster:

Spellcasting: Eldritch Knights no longer gain spells as listed in the PHB. Instead, at Level 3, he is a 2nd Level Wizard when it comes to determining his spell list and spell slots, as well as cantrips known. He gains an additional 'Wizard Level' on every following odd level, reaching 'Wizard Level 11' at 19th level. He does not gain any other wizard class features.

I still think it prob needs other things to close the gap, but free choice of the list and sixth level spells I think, help. (Arcane Trickster is literally the same drat thing. Although I'd rule you can totally sneak attack with an attack roll spell, because Fun > Verisimilitude for me.)

Likewise, Ranger and Paladin have a similar idea baked in with different numbers, but with the Druid and Cleric spell lists - as well as being able to choose off their own list as well.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
For people that are sticking with 3e rules - werent Duskblade and Warmage better than Eldritch Knight?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Depends, if you wanted "Dude who stands in melee and does melee attacks while casting spells and also having a decent armor class" duskblade was definitely better. If you wanted a 9 level caster with a decent attack bonus, Warmage was better. Mostly though the Eldritch Knight was just terrible.

I misremembered some of the Warmage's mechanics, so let me revise.

The duskblade is designed around being in melee and casting touch spells, doing horrible horrible things with shocking grasp and metamagic is your bread and butter. You don't get many high level spells but the spell levels you do get you get lots of slots for.

The Warmage is a Sorcerer with your spell selection made for you. The higher AC doesn't mean much because the Warmage doesn't have much business being in melee anyway, and the Warmage's Edge averages out to an extra d6 on each of your spells unless you have freakishly high intelligence.

The Eldritch Knight is still terrible.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

NameHurtBrain posted:

This was in my notes as a fix to Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster:

Spellcasting: Eldritch Knights no longer gain spells as listed in the PHB. Instead, at Level 3, he is a 2nd Level Wizard when it comes to determining his spell list and spell slots, as well as cantrips known. He gains an additional 'Wizard Level' on every following odd level, reaching 'Wizard Level 11' at 19th level. He does not gain any other wizard class features.

I still think it prob needs other things to close the gap, but free choice of the list and sixth level spells I think, help. (Arcane Trickster is literally the same drat thing. Although I'd rule you can totally sneak attack with an attack roll spell, because Fun > Verisimilitude for me.)

Likewise, Ranger and Paladin have a similar idea baked in with different numbers, but with the Druid and Cleric spell lists - as well as being able to choose off their own list as well.

The key is probably to be able to combine fighter actions with wizard actions, because choosing between 'I attack' and casting a weak wizard spell on your turn still isn't very exciting or all that useful. Hell, you could probably add them the class feature of "You can make a melee attack as a bonus action whenever you cast a spell" and it would be totally fine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Depends, if you wanted "Dude who stands in melee and does melee attacks while casting spells and also having a decent armor class" duskblade was definitely better. If you wanted a 9 level caster with a decent attack bonus, Warmage was better. Mostly though the Eldritch Knight was just terrible.

I misremembered some of the Warmage's mechanics, so let me revise.

The duskblade is designed around being in melee and casting touch spells, doing horrible horrible things with shocking grasp and metamagic is your bread and butter. You don't get many high level spells but the spell levels you do get you get lots of slots for.

The Warmage is a Sorcerer with your spell selection made for you. The higher AC doesn't mean much because the Warmage doesn't have much business being in melee anyway, and the Warmage's Edge averages out to an extra d6 on each of your spells unless you have freakishly high intelligence.

The Eldritch Knight is still terrible.

Warmage is only good with prestige class cheese.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
What a Warmage taking the Dragon Lance War Mage prestige class? Or something else?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Have they talked at all about what settings are coming? I'd stab a hobo for spelljammer, but would settle for dragonlance. I would bet solid money on Forgotten Realms, Eberron?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Other than a vague "It's a multiverse, so every setting is the main setting!", no.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

What a Warmage taking the Dragon Lance War Mage prestige class? Or something else?

Warmage was a 20 level class from the miniatures handbook. It had a sorcerer's spell progression but their spell list was "All the evocation spells that exist at the time of this printing with some conjuration spells thrown in for good measure", it's a purpose built magic artillery piece class that works fine within the context of a miniatures game but doesn't really bring enough to the table for a spot in a 5 person party.

To put it in context, this was the book that also included the healer class.

It healed, it got a pet unicorn, and basically nothing else.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just introduced spelljamming by crashing a spelljammer (nearly) into the one of the parties in the West Marches campaign, but I think I'll use it more as a mode of transport to other worlds rather than homebrew a bunch of spaceship fighting rules.

Plus they gotta repair the ship.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Warmages don't have a 'spells known', they just can cast every spell on their class list.

A lot of prestige classes add spells to the class list, assuming you'd have to burn one of your spells known to pick up the new poo poo. Apparently you can set thing up so you can cast every spell on the druid, wizard, paladin, and cleric lists.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm that makes sense, and the War Mage prestige class was probably better for something like a Force Missile Mage that was all about throwing a bunch of missiles, because it had a feature that added some damage to each die of a spell or something. Something that was not tied to a stat, I believe, like the Warmage class, but also applied to more than one magic missile in a cast unlike the Warmage class's feature.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Have they talked at all about what settings are coming? I'd stab a hobo for spelljammer, but would settle for dragonlance. I would bet solid money on Forgotten Realms, Eberron?
I would like a complete formal merging of Forgotten Realms, Spell Jammer, and Planescape. With SJ and PS fully integrated that sets the ground for official inclusiveness with Krynn, Oerth, etc...

As long as Im wishing I would want FR to be reset before the 4e crap, and have the focus shifted to open/ongoing history, almanac nerd stuff, and story hooks and away from "big name" NPCs (as anything but examples and "actual" NPCs instead of designer-insertion-characters).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

FRINGE posted:

I would like a complete formal merging of Forgotten Realms, Spell Jammer, and Planescape. With SJ and PS fully integrated that sets the ground for official inclusiveness with Krynn, Oerth, etc...

As long as Im wishing I would want FR to be reset before the 4e crap, and have the focus shifted to open/ongoing history, almanac nerd stuff, and story hooks and away from "big name" NPCs (as anything but examples and "actual" NPCs instead of designer-insertion-characters).

But, but, but, Drizzt...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FRINGE posted:

As long as Im wishing I would want FR to be reset before the 4e crap

On the one hand, them admitting that vancian magic was a thing that existed and people were aware of it and it's function was easily the stupidest thing to come out of FR 4e.

On the other hand, that led to the most unintentionally hilarious bit of 5e lore in Bear Mystra.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boing posted:

The key is probably to be able to combine fighter actions with wizard actions, because choosing between 'I attack' and casting a weak wizard spell on your turn still isn't very exciting or all that useful. Hell, you could probably add them the class feature of "You can make a melee attack as a bonus action whenever you cast a spell" and it would be totally fine.
Wanted to post this. Being a good fighterwizard doesn't mean being able to do fighter stuff or wizard stuff, it means being able to do fighter stuff while doing wizard stuff, and vice versa. Your attacks trigger magical effects and/or your magical effects trigger attacks. You get bonuses to stab someone you've spelled or to spell someone you've stabbed. Things like that, not just getting to decide who you want to be not quite as good as this round.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elendil004 posted:

I just introduced spelljamming by crashing a spelljammer (nearly) into the one of the parties in the West Marches campaign, but I think I'll use it more as a mode of transport to other worlds rather than homebrew a bunch of spaceship fighting rules.

Plus they gotta repair the ship.

Wait, doesn't this kind of gently caress with the idea of a West Marches campaign? Are there going to be rumours of treasure on other worlds going up on the notice board or what? It's not clicking for me. How are you working this in?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

On the one hand, them admitting that vancian magic was a thing that existed and people were aware of it and it's function was easily the stupidest thing to come out of FR 4e.

On the other hand, that led to the most unintentionally hilarious bit of 5e lore in Bear Mystra.

Please explain what happened with both of these things.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jimbozig posted:

Wait, doesn't this kind of gently caress with the idea of a West Marches campaign? Are there going to be rumours of treasure on other worlds going up on the notice board or what? It's not clicking for me. How are you working this in?

Sure why not, maybe a player wants to explore a moon or find an artifact among the stars. Most of our players are lvl 5, by the time they hit 10, 15, the idea that every adventure is a backwater exploration is gonna be so far out the window. The concept still works, though.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FRINGE posted:

This is actually how I would describe 4E Forgotten Realms.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

http://dungeonchannel.com/articles/348635/the-murder-hobo-investment-bubble/

Pretty fantastic article on the economics behind murder-hobo`ing, and the inevitable economic crash when the murder-hobo bubble bursts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Please explain what happened with both of these things.

The Weave is the source of all magic in Faerun, and apparently it also maintains the system of vancian magic. E.G. When the first Mystra became a god she edited the Weave to disable all spells over 10th level. When the weave exploded in 4th edition and the spellplague hit, all vancian magic broke down, forcing Wizards and other casters to use AEDUs like everyone else.

But see, Mystra wasn't actually dead, because she foresaw that the Weave needed to be destroyed so both it and she could be reborn. So 200 some years later the Elminster senses the return of Mystra's spirit, reincarnated into a Bear. He brings her the rest of the silver fire and she turns back into Mystra, renergizing the weave and bringing back Vancian magic.

Unfortunately she did not remain a Bear.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

The Weave is the source of all magic in Faerun, and apparently it also maintains the system of vancian magic. E.G. When the first Mystra became a god she edited the Weave to disable all spells over 10th level. When the weave exploded in 4th edition and the spellplague hit, all vancian magic broke down, forcing Wizards and other casters to use AEDUs like everyone else.

But see, Mystra wasn't actually dead, because she foresaw that the Weave needed to be destroyed so both it and she could be reborn. So 200 some years later the Elminster senses the return of Mystra's spirit, reincarnated into a Bear. He brings her the rest of the silver fire and she turns back into Mystra, renergizing the weave and bringing back Vancian magic.

Further proof Elminster is history's greatest monster.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurieg posted:

So what you're telling us is that the official FR storyline is that one or more gods proclaimed that all warriors are lovely.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So what you're telling us is that the official FR storyline is that one or more gods proclaimed that all warriors are lovely.
OTOH FR has the only canon character I have ever seen that had the OG combo of Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Girdle of Storm Giant Strength, and Hammer of Thunderbolts.

Dude knew how to roll with a posse fighter-style.

quote:

The Fist consists of:

1000 4th level fighters (AC4)
chain mail and shield
500 5th level fighters (AC3)
banded and shield
200 6th level fighters (AC2)
plate and shield; 46 have rings of spell turning of which 10 have +1 weapons
25 6th level thieves (AC7)
leather and shield
10 8th level assassins (AC7)
leather and shield
10 7th level monks (AC5)
LN, worship Helm
200 4th level clerics (AC3)
plate mail, of Tempus, Tymora, and Helm
(all carry extra curative spell scrolls)
5 7th level magic-users (AC 2 bracers of defense, and all have rings of spell storing, replenished by Moruend (see below) between battles, and holding one haste, two dispel magic, one web, and two 6-die fireballs (each ring). All wear greenstone amulets.
20 4 to 6th level rangers (AC 8 = leather, serving as scouts)
10 (SEE BELOW) Leaders and aides

All men in the Company are mounted on heavy horses, and each has a spare horse, tethered behind the first when on the trail (total: 4,000 horses). In addition, there are 3,150 pack mules for the carrying of equipment and plunder, and 14 of the 6th level fighters ride as drovers to keep them together, armed with whips (the mules are bridled in long lines, or files). The Company also has nine wagons, drawn by teams of eight draft horses each (four spare horses are bridled to the rear of each of the wagons). The wagons carry food, and even more importantly, drink, medical supplies (including many curative spell scrolls) and siege equipment. All wagons have roofs that are platforms with sidewalls for use by archers, and the wagon walls are armored and trimmed with dragonhide to resist fire.

One of the wagons is a council wagon, furnished with a table (which can double as an operating table), a hole in the floor for a fire (which is built in a sand bucket), rugs, ets. It serves as a temple for the clerics of the Company when not otherwise in use. The device of the Company, flown on its banners and depicted on its tents and wagons, is the Flaming Fist. In battle, warriors of the Company wear white tabards blazoned with this device.

ELTAN (EL-tan)
Baldur’s Gate/Flaming Fist
20th level fighter (179 hp)
LN, Tempus
Human male

The leader and founder of the Flaming Fist, Eltan is a tactical genius who loves to fight. He is respected among the rulers of the Forgotten Realms because he is a man of principles and of his word, and because as a ruler himself, Eltan is seen as knowing and sympathizing with a ruler's concerns and troubles. Eltan sees a continual balance of power amongst many small kingdoms to be a Good and Proper Thing, and so hires out his company so as to prevent any large empire-forming. He is friendly with the other mercenary generals based nearby, but often battles them (never let emotions interfere with business, he believes).

Eltan is a tall, handsome man with grey eyes and jet-black hair, who wears a greenstone amulet, plate mail +2, a displacer cloak +2 (this plus his Dex makes him AC -3), and disdains to use a shield. His breastplate is polished mirror-bright so that his men can distinguish him easily on the field, as well as for the splendid effect. He wears a ring of absorption (750 spell levels left), a ring of anti-venom (absorbs poisons; 22 charges left), a girdle of storm giant strength, and gauntlets of ogre power: These latter two allow him to wield his most precious treasure, a rarely used hammer of thunderbolts. He also carries a silver dagger +2 his boot, a silver long sword +2, and a neutral, telepathic short sword +1 named “Roan,” his longtime friend. Roan can detect magic, detect invisible, detect illusion, detect traps, and know alignment once each per day, and will automatic return if it leaves him and he is conscious to so will it (maximum range 9”), if necessary dragging anyone holding it along with it (a combined strength total of 30 will stop it).

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

FRINGE posted:

Roan can detect magic, detect invisible, detect illusion, detect traps, and know alignment once each per day, and will automatic return if it leaves him and he is conscious to so will it (maximum range 9”), if necessary dragging anyone holding it along with it (a combined strength total of 30 will stop it).

I assume that's the distance on the battle mat, not in-character real world distance. Magically returning from less than a foot of distance is of... limited usefulness.

I do always love to see inch-based measurements in D&D though. There is something wonderful about the expression on a 3e-grog's face when he comes to the realization that D&D has always been a grid-based miniature wargame mod.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elendil004 posted:

Sure why not, maybe a player wants to explore a moon or find an artifact among the stars. Most of our players are lvl 5, by the time they hit 10, 15, the idea that every adventure is a backwater exploration is gonna be so far out the window. The concept still works, though.

Uh, how do rumours of treasure on other planets suddenly appear on the notice board? When presumably until now the notice board has never sent the players outside of a small geographical area?

Like, I'm asking for details. I honestly don't get how it fits. It seems like adding aliens to a Hogwarts game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Huh, so WotC has made an open call for adventure writers for D&D Adventurer's League. Looking at the provided material you're just supposed to submit two encounters, one combat and the other focused on exploration or interaction. I might consider applying, but the list of provided elements you have to use is giving me a headache.

So, you have to use all the items from the following list at least once in your two encounters, but you can also reuse elements that you've already used in your other encounter. Both encounters are supposed to be meant for a party of five 3rd-level characters. The elements are:
  • Setting/environment: ruined temple
  • Feature: secret door
  • Feature: hidden spiked pit
  • NPC: elf noble
  • Monster: manticore
  • Monster: orc(s)
  • Monster: skeleton(s)

That's pretty straightforward. I was already thinking of some ideas on how to make an interesting combat encounter with just those elements, but there are a few problems:

They couldn't have chosen a more boring big monster than the manticore. The manticore literally has nothing special to it beyond attacks. Furthermore, even though it's supposed to be a big, brutish monster, it seems like the optimal tactic for the manticore is actually to fly above the battlefield, firing tail spikes from a safe distance of 100 feet (which is within the manticore's optimal range but outside the range of most ranged attacks save for longbows and heavy crossbows).

Secondly, I wanted to throw in a few skeletons into the combat just to make the combat a bit more interesting than "Manticore kites the PCs while the PCs scramble for cover" only to realize that it's really hard to build a by-the-book encounter with these creatures without making it Deadly. Just adding two skeletons makes the encounter Deadly (total XP 800, adjusted XP for three creatures 1,600, which is closer to five 3rd-level characters' Deadly threshold of 2,000 than their Hard threshold of 1,125). Obviously, without actually playtesting the encounter it's really hard to tell whether it's actually as deadly as it sounds, but it's just bizarre.

Obviously I could just make a single combat encounter with just orcs and skeletons, but it doesn't quite have the same coolness factor as an encounter with a big flying boss monster and their skeleton mooks.

(Oh, and the hidden spike pit is obviously a part of this encounter, the spike pit having been by the manticore's skelemans and the spikes are actually extra tail spikes the manticore has shed.)

EDIT: By the way, I'm going by the manticore's stats in the Basic rules, if they secretly gave it some actual features in the MM do correct me!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You could just shove the Manticore in the spiked pit and replace with an actually interesting monster.

Jimbozig posted:

Uh, how do rumours of treasure on other planets suddenly appear on the notice board? When presumably until now the notice board has never sent the players outside of a small geographical area?

Like, I'm asking for details. I honestly don't get how it fits. It seems like adding aliens to a Hogwarts game.
There's obviously a Space Notice Board on the ship itself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not only are you correct that the MM is still the same Manticore as in the Basic Rules, the fluffpiece in the MM outright says that a Manticore should use its flight to stay at maximum range while pelting targets with its spikes, only closing to melee range if it runs out

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Siivola posted:

You could just shove the Manticore in the spiked pit and replace with an actually interesting monster.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think I should do: either make the manticore the second part of an actually interesting and dynamic combat encounter (basically using the guidelines for multipart encounters) so that after a couple of rounds of combat when the PCs have had the chance to eradicate most of their opposition the manticore appears, or just leave it in the background as window dressing.

Alternately, find a way to integrate the manticore into the exploration/social interaction encounter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manticore NPC who really wants to be a sphinx.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm pretty sure that list of elements is just a setup for Let's Make a Deal. Elf Noble Monty Hall, behind the curtains are either manticore, skeletons, or orcs. The real solution is the secret door, but watch out for the hidden spiked pit on your way out of the ruined temple set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In full recognition of all the caveats, does anyone have any hit location tables/effects they'd like to recommend?