Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

uncurable mlady posted:

We take security very seriously around here. *fills USB ports with hot glue*

For a few years, the US Army was soldering them shut. Too many soldiers were mixing classified and unclassified USB sticks, or attaching personal USB devices onto classified computers. People and computer viruses sometimes feels like people and STDs: "Nah, it can't be me. I'm clean. He/she is the dirty whore!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Airgap anyone posting here

I breached your mom's airgap.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
get on your skateboard and ollie that airgap

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I just dealt with poweliks, its a real motherfucker. Spent all day chasing it around with Process Hacker trying to figure it out. It lives in the registry, but its encrypted and just reinjects itself if you kill it or erase the autorun entries. Wound up using Combofix and Malwarebytes anti-rootkit. Malwarebytes only started recognizing poweliks a couple days ago, and doesn't flag the infected document (afaik it comes in an Office document).

Of course as soon as the customer got home she DLed her email and tried to read that Very Important Message again. Wipe & reinstall time, which is probably how it should always be handled. But you might also want to look through the customer's email accounts, because the vector is probably still there, and give them both barrels during your lecture about email safety.

edit: I don't understand how Windows works, is there any way to disable or remove access to Power Shell? Poweliks couldn't work without Power Shell.

edit2: I did try renaming the powershell executables on an infected system, that gets poweliks stuck in a loop trying to call it and too busy to download anything, which might be temporarily useful.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 30, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's different depending on the OS. Basically the older the OS is, the easier it is to get rid of, until you get to Windows 8 where it's a required part of the OS.

Windows 7 instructions:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...07-a1a554a56ae5

Even removing it from Win7 is kind of hinky but unless they're a developer/programmer you can get by without it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You could just change the permissions on the users' Run keys and Startup directories so that only admins can add poo poo to them. Also, you can prevent them from loving with Task Scheduler through Group Policy. Provided you're actually using UAC, doing those things would completely kill poo poo like Poweliks (unless the user has UAC off, which you should never ever allow them to do).

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Syd Midnight posted:

I just dealt with poweliks, its a real motherfucker. Spent all day chasing it around with Process Hacker trying to figure it out. It lives in the registry, but its encrypted and just reinjects itself if you kill it or erase the autorun entries. Wound up using Combofix and Malwarebytes anti-rootkit. Malwarebytes only started recognizing poweliks a couple days ago, and doesn't flag the infected document (afaik it comes in an Office document).

Of course as soon as the customer got home she DLed her email and tried to read that Very Important Message again. Wipe & reinstall time, which is probably how it should always be handled. But you might also want to look through the customer's email accounts, because the vector is probably still there, and give them both barrels during your lecture about email safety.

edit: I don't understand how Windows works, is there any way to disable or remove access to Power Shell? Poweliks couldn't work without Power Shell.

Use Roguekiller in safe mode. Sometimes you have to do the removal twice, so remove restart to safe mode and then remove again, but that is pretty much it. Roguekiller is your friend.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Syd Midnight posted:

You can use AppLocker to prohibit running it if your users don't have a legitimate reason to run it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Hurray! People at my work whom I've never met are spamming "Here is your fax" and "Here your document is" emails with ZIP files. Surely everyone is just deleting them, right? Right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Hurray! People at my work whom I've never met are spamming "Here is your fax" and "Here your document is" emails with ZIP files. Surely everyone is just deleting them, right? Right?

Time to break out some jumper cables and a car battery for aggressive anti-malware cognitive behavioral therapy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
From the Laptop megathread, bad news if you have a Lenovo device:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

TL;DR: Lenovo released pre-compromised laptops, didn't do anything about it for months, then lied about the extent of the problem. Installing root certificates like this is an extraordinarily bad thing, and the certificate is already exploitable and probably has been for a long time. If you have an affected laptop, you should wipe and reinstall from a non-Lenovo disc. If you have an unaffected Lenovo computer, you should probably still wipe and reinstall from a non-Lenovo disc.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

dpbjinc posted:

From the Laptop megathread, bad news if you have a Lenovo device:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

TL;DR: Lenovo released pre-compromised laptops, didn't do anything about it for months, then lied about the extent of the problem. Installing root certificates like this is an extraordinarily bad thing, and the certificate is already exploitable and probably has been for a long time. If you have an affected laptop, you should wipe and reinstall from a non-Lenovo disc. If you have an unaffected Lenovo computer, you should probably still wipe and reinstall from a non-Lenovo disc.

I've been following this since yesterday when it started blowing up. Lenovo is still lying about the problem, presumably in an attempt to shift the blame away from themselves, minimizing their legal impact. As a (former) recommender of their products up to about 2 years ago, and current "Valued Partner", we received an email from them today:

"....included Superfish Visual Discovery software as a shopping aid to customers."

We've heard this before, on browser search hijacks like Conduit, Trovi, Astromenda, and the others.

"Superfish is a TrustE certified third-party software vendor, with offices in Palo Alto, CA."

Thank you, now I know when I see a "TrustE" certified site I know I should get the gently caress out. They also have an office in Israel, but the mere mention of that would terrify Lenovo's U.S. based, everything-in-the-middle-east-is-evil, U.S. users.

"User feedback on the software was not positive and we received some reports of security concerns."

Right. No feedback has ever been positive on any preinstalled laptop software. That is downplaying the issue pretty severely. The rest of the email is a bunch of nonsense how they "take user feedback very seriously" which they obviously do not unless it bites them hard and fast on the rear end. There is no apology. The included removal instructions do not remove the root cert. Of course, every reinstall image will have Superfish on it, whether those users are aware it ever existed or not.

The current laptop market is an absolute garbage heap. I cannot recommend anything.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly, the last few Dells I've had have been quite good, both personal and professional. I'll always gravitate towards Clevo / Sager, though.

Lenovo is obviously in damage control mode, though. More companies need to learn from BP. Don't cover things up: just come out, tell the truth, and fix the problem. The long-term damage to stock price is generally less the sooner and more honest companies are when it comes to problems. See also: politicians. Americans in particular love comeback stories, but hate snakes.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

Lenovo is obviously in damage control mode, though. More companies need to learn from BP. Don't cover things up: just come out, tell the truth, and fix the problem. The long-term damage to stock price is generally less the sooner and more honest companies are when it comes to problems. See also: politicians. Americans in particular love comeback stories, but hate snakes.

Wait... are you comparing the Lenovo fiasco with the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

pr0zac posted:

Wait... are you comparing the Lenovo fiasco with the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

In that a big company pulling a Baghdad Bob "Nothing to see here, there are no tanks outside the city walls about to wreck out poo poo" tends to make everyone pissed when it comes out that 'downplaying the severity of the issue' actually means 'bold faced lies in an attempt to reduce liability'. Both are scummy, and both tend to cause more outrage than if they just said 'yeah, whoops, our bad'.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Before this nonsense, I might have recommended a Lenovo product to someone if it was cheap, or had the specs they were looking for, but I would temper that by telling them the quality has gone down over the last couple years and they are a Chinese company operating outside the bounds of what any consumer advocacy group or government entity could possibly hold them accountable for. After pulling this off and then obfuscating the truth? I will tell anyone who will listen to never do any business with them. This is the only satisfaction I will get out of the situation as our overburdened and ineffective legal system and insect-like attention spans eventually forget it ever happened.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

pr0zac posted:

In terms of their initial response to a bad thing, yes. In terms of the impact of the bad thing, no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lenovo finally seem to understand that they hosed up, but Superfish thinks everything is fine with their software except for those meanie bloggers spreading lies.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Lenovo finally seem to understand that they hosed up, but Superfish thinks everything is fine with their software except for those meanie bloggers spreading lies.

It's a two headed defense right now, pretend to not understand the real issue "In no way does Superfish store personal data or share such data with anyone" and deflection "a vulnerability was introduced unintentionally by a 3rd party". They even had the cojones to put "Superfish user community" in their PR statement. Users unknowingly using your software does not make a community.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Next week at the malaria user group meeting..,

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Just curious: could Lenovo run afoul of various hacking laws for this? They basically provided "unauthorized access to a computer system," which seems to be a charge used by some districts attorney in the US.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I stopped recommending Lenovo ever since it has been in Chinese hands. Oh their devices are riddled with malware? That's a loving shocker. I mean I can understand less insidious bundled crapware or certain elements of the production process allowing malware to slip in unnoticed but to be sanctioned as part of their business plan, no. Of course Sony rootkitted a load of people too so nationality of ownership isn't a wonderful guide to trustworthiness.

I'd advise everyone to ATA secure erase their laptops and clean install from disk or download if consumers had it available to them instead of just a recovery partition loaded with the same poo poo.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Ireland Sucks posted:

I stopped recommending Lenovo ever since it has been in Chinese hands. Oh their devices are riddled with malware? That's a loving shocker. I mean I can understand less insidious bundled crapware or certain elements of the production process allowing malware to slip in unnoticed but to be sanctioned as part of their business plan, no. Of course Sony rootkitted a load of people too so nationality of ownership isn't a wonderful guide to trustworthiness.

I'd advise everyone to ATA secure erase their laptops and clean install from disk or download if consumers had it available to them instead of just a recovery partition loaded with the same poo poo.

Lenovo has been a Chinese company since its founding in 1984

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I'm *really* glad all our new stuff gets imaged. I hate OEM bloatware with the fire of a thousand suns, but this is goddamned ridiculous. Lenovo should have their collective urethra swabbed out with a rusty carpenter's rasp for this.

I fired up a kali linux VM and was able to crack and exploit that superfish root CA in minutes.

THIS is how easy it is to MITM their bullshit:

https://blog.filippo.io/komodia-superfish-ssl-validation-is-broken/

Seriously... for a company that fancies itself an enterprise hardware vendor, I am in total disbelief they went here. What could they possibly have to gain from this? Totally sounds like some hairbrained residual income scheme from some MBA beancounter. There's no loving way a competent engineer signed off on this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Superfish stuff is comically, implausibly broken. I don't think any of us realized how deep the pit of stupidity would go while it was playing out.

At this point we're lucky that it doesn't execute base64'd x86 machine code stored in some extended attribute.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

The Superfish stuff is comically, implausibly broken. I don't think any of us realized how deep the pit of stupidity would go while it was playing out.

At this point we're lucky that it doesn't execute base64'd x86 machine code stored in some extended attribute.

Please don't give them any ideas.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'll bet some smart person in this thread can help me out.

Wife uses Google Apps to access her company email, and lately she's been getting failure notices about emails she never sent. Random sites - ebay, german telecoms, dozens of others over the past week. She's change her password a couple of times, but they're still trickling in. This morning she tried to send an email and got this:

pre:
Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

someone@hisgmail.com

Message will be retried for 1 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [64.233.164.27].

The error that the other server returned was:
421-4.7.0 [209.85.215.43      15] Our system has detected an unusual rate of
421-4.7.0 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
421-4.7.0 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been temporarily
421-4.7.0 rate limited. Please visit
421-4.7.0 http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to review our Bulk
421 4.7.0 Email Senders Guidelines. rb8si14633819lbb.34 - gsmtp
I told her to check account details, because in the past the only times her account was used have been times when she's (seemingly) been the one doing it. But I had her check this morning and she sees this:

pre:
at 3:51am there was:
Authorized Application (1098692739221-r7ju67or1ss36lq866l9b0idm265as1i.apps.googleusercontent.com) Hide details
OAuth Domain Name:
1098692739221-r7ju67or1ss36lq866l9b0idm265as1i.apps.googleusercontent.com
Manage Account Access
She's got about 8,000 emails in her spam folder at the moment, and they're still rolling in. I had her change her password and setup two-factor authentication - what else can we do? This is her business email, she's kinda hosed without it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What's under her authorized apps in her account page ("Connected apps and services")?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Would I be able to create a recovery disk from here that won't have the Lenovo poo poo on it? I feel loving terrible that I recommended a Lenovo laptop to a coworker now. At least she has a SDD in it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's under her authorized apps in her account page ("Connected apps and services")?
Nothing unusual, and nothing new that she didn't recognize.

She's changed her password and setup two factor authentication, and we've taken Google's steps to get her of their temporary blacklist. Hopefully this helps.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Gothmog1065 posted:

Would I be able to create a recovery disk from here that won't have the Lenovo poo poo on it? I feel loving terrible that I recommended a Lenovo laptop to a coworker now. At least she has a SDD in it.

Yeah that just creates a plain windows 8.1 install disc. You'll need to get drivers and other necessary lenovo stuff (hotkey program if you have a thinkpad so the shut off wifi and shut off microphone keys work) from lenovo's website.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Lenovo used to have a sort of all-in-one driver package thing that you could get based on SN# - they don't anymore?

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015

havenwaters posted:

Yeah that just creates a plain windows 8.1 install disc. You'll need to get drivers and other necessary lenovo stuff (hotkey program if you have a thinkpad so the shut off wifi and shut off microphone keys work) from lenovo's website.

It's a good policy in general. Remove the pre-installed OS and always use a clean installation medium.
Almost all computer vendors operate at a very narrow margin of profit so the machines come with all kinds of bloat and nagware.
This is also a remedy against NortonAV, the yellow pestilence.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

sfwarlock posted:

Lenovo used to have a sort of all-in-one driver package thing that you could get based on SN# - they don't anymore?

Depends on which of Lenovo's model line it's from. T and X-series at a minimum have System Udate. Cheap ones like G and E don't, unless I'm mistaken.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We bought a new laptop today (in best buy, because she won't buy anything online :suicide:) and the salesman was trying to sell us "internet security" software. What does that consist of? I've always just used Bitdefender/AVG/Kaspersky and whatever adblocking software was available at the time. What is internet security software, is it worth it, and are there any decent free versions? I've been liking Bitdefender free now that I'm on a PC that it works for (last PC it would just keep asking me to log in constantly, no matter how often I logged in).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We bought a new laptop today (in best buy, because she won't buy anything online :suicide:) and the salesman was trying to sell us "internet security" software. What does that consist of? I've always just used Bitdefender/AVG/Kaspersky and whatever adblocking software was available at the time. What is internet security software, is it worth it, and are there any decent free versions? I've been liking Bitdefender free now that I'm on a PC that it works for (last PC it would just keep asking me to log in constantly, no matter how often I logged in).

no theyre just trying to pedal whatever retarded poo poo best buy tells them to its all garbage

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. Yeah, I hadn't heard of anything like that before, and none of the companies I've worked for had anything like that on their systems (that I knew of), so I was skeptical. I also knew that thanks to linux nerds, there's free everything.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
The internet security software I've seen is usually software firewall plus stuff like a Web of Trust-style "can you trust this site?" plugin, a scanner that hooks into your email client, etc. It's probably less like an antivirus and more like a nagger that tells you about best practices.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If it was from Best Buy it was probably Kaspersky or their rebranded Sophos.

Edit: Webroot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Krotera posted:

The internet security software I've seen is usually software firewall plus stuff like a Web of Trust-style "can you trust this site?" plugin, a scanner that hooks into your email client, etc. It's probably less like an antivirus and more like a nagger that tells you about best practices.

To be honest, the nagging part is probably more useful day to day for inexperienced users than the antivirus.

• Locked thread