Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gonna roll DCS tonight with a small group and need 4-5+ Goons if possible to help.

Mission is an OCA strike on an airbase. Slots are 4 A10C, 2 Su25T, 2 F15C, 2 MiG21.

Its scripted so the more planes in an area to trigger an event, appropriate responses are spawned.

Its a good mission, and we're starting it off tonight in like... 3 hours? So 9:30 EST.

Doug Funnie Fanfic is me in the 420th squadron group on Steam, add me if you're down to fly some DCS for a few hours tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Gonna roll DCS tonight with a small group and need 4-5+ Goons if possible to help.

Mission is an OCA strike on an airbase. Slots are 4 A10C, 2 Su25T, 2 F15C, 2 MiG21.

Its scripted so the more planes in an area to trigger an event, appropriate responses are spawned.

Its a good mission, and we're starting it off tonight in like... 3 hours? So 9:30 EST.

Doug Funnie Fanfic is me in the 420th squadron group on Steam, add me if you're down to fly some DCS for a few hours tonight!

Oh drat I would so be on this if it wasn't Valentines.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I might be down for it if I'm back from a movie by then. I can only fly A-10C and I can do mostly everything... I just have difficulty with prioritizing targets and get shot down quickly. GoldenNugget in the group.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Any member can make announcements and events in the 420 group, Dandy.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Ralith posted:

Don't be mistaken, the steam version has lovely starforce DRM too. These guys are russian, they can't be sane about anything.

I upgraded my hard drive a few weeks ago. I think I get six more installs left until I have to buy a new copy, and it keeps forgetting that A10C is authorized and opening like ten windows demanding me to fix it.

So, as somebody who just got a stick and wants to get in on some jet action, am I safe buying these from DCS World directly rather than Steam? I don't want to have to wait for another Steam sale, but I suppose I will if the non-Steam experience is notably shittier or something.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

So, as somebody who just got a stick and wants to get in on some jet action, am I safe buying these from DCS World directly rather than Steam? I don't want to have to wait for another Steam sale, but I suppose I will if the non-Steam experience is notably shittier or something.

From what I'm told, the DCS version on Steam is behind the standalone from Eagle Dynamics, and that modules go on sale more often and cheaper than on Steam. Most people I've talked to recommended just getting it off the DCS website anyway.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The Steam and Direct from DCS versions are identical. The Steam versions just give you a convenient box to copy-paste your keys from. You can launch the non-steam version from steam to get the overlay and all that.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

You can also download both, and copy your standalone bought planes into your steam install.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

thorsilver posted:

You're perfectly fine to buy any module you like from either steam or the dcs store, they play together just great. The easiest way to get them to work together is to just download all the modules you own from the dcs store and then input your keys when you launch.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Artless Meat posted:

You can also download both, and copy your standalone bought planes into your steam install.

Buy it from DCS, download both

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

Any member can make announcements and events in the 420 group, Dandy.

gently caress will remember that for next time :( We'll be playing again in the very near future

I hate the god drat DCS AWACS. So loving incompetent.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Thanks all! Just picked up Flaming Cliffs 3, the A10C, and the F86. Just waiting now for the DCS World torrent to finish!

I'm sorely tempted by the Black Shark for some reason, possibly because of the entertaining YouTube videos I've seen of people struggling with the thing, but I'm not really that sure I'd enjoy that style of flying -- I'm really into jets. Plus it seems like most people here go for planes in multiplayer rather than choppers. Am I missing out?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

thorsilver posted:

Thanks all! Just picked up Flaming Cliffs 3, the A10C, and the F86. Just waiting now for the DCS World torrent to finish!

I'm sorely tempted by the Black Shark for some reason, possibly because of the entertaining YouTube videos I've seen of people struggling with the thing, but I'm not really that sure I'd enjoy that style of flying -- I'm really into jets. Plus it seems like most people here go for planes in multiplayer rather than choppers. Am I missing out?

The Shark is a bunch of fun to fly, but boring as poo poo to fight with, because every single engagement is "fly to target area, enable autohover, fiddle with your weapons systems for a few minutes, go home" plus occasionally exploding.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

thorsilver posted:

If anything, get the huey, its comedy gold

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Wh1plash posted:

If anything, get the huey, its comedy gold

Yeah, the blackshark mostly flies itself once you get the basics down. The huey is a constant fight to not crash hilariously

alr
May 14, 2009
I thought I was pretty good with the Huey after I bought it, tried out a quick flight and was able to put it pretty much exactly where I wanted with a minimum of fuss. Then I tried the armed variant on the target range mission and had to fight just to get the thing in a straight line for the 2km trip to the range. The difference between a clean Huey and a loaded one is nuts.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In Vietnam people bitched about how the more guns people mounted on the support gunships, the more vulnerable the squads they were supporting got because suddenly the relatively clean transport helos had to slow down so the fat as gently caress gunships could keep pace.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 15, 2015

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tetraptous posted:

F-86F is a blast, and the weapons systems are fairly simple compared to more modern aircraft. I recommend starting there. I'd love to play some online Sabre, although I will be out of town for the next week or so.

Is there some kind of tutorial for it? I didn't even manage to get it started up, and I couldn't find any tutorial in-game like the Mig-21, Su-25 and A-10 have.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Ralith posted:

The Shark is a bunch of fun to fly, but boring as poo poo to fight with, because every single engagement is "fly to target area, enable autohover, fiddle with your weapons systems for a few minutes, go home" plus occasionally exploding.

until you run into a human with CA who jumps in a shilka. Then its a tense game of Cat and mouse and some of the most fun I've had in a flight sim.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Ralith posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I was worried about. It looks entertaining to actually get in the air, but I think I'd miss the aerial combat maneuvering that I love so much with the jets. Ah well, I'll see how I get on and maybe get some comedy Huey action going during the next sale :)

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Is there some kind of tutorial for it? I didn't even manage to get it started up, and I couldn't find any tutorial in-game like the Mig-21, Su-25 and A-10 have.

If you go to your folder where the docs would be there is a quickstart guide in it, E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Doc is where mine is located.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Yeah, it's actually stupid easy to start once you find out the keyboard button to move the throttle into the right positions. (Home IIRC). I did the same thing you did, and had to consult the quick start guide for answers.

The other key thing is to learn how to use the A-4 gunsight. Basically, there's a mechanical level under the sight that you need to click on to uncage the gyro before combat. Then, you'll want to hold down the electrical cage button until you're behind a target and the red radar light is solid indicating a lock--release the button, and the sight will float over to the correct position to lead the target. It can move erratically while you maneuver because it only knows how fast you are turning (from the gyro) and the distance to the target (from the radar). The solution is correct of you're smoothly holding the crosshairs over the target, but will bounce around if you aren't since it doesn't actually "know" where the target is if you aren't tracking it exactly. There's also a knob you can use to limit the radar range in the presence of ground clutter, as well as a target rejection button to skip to a farther away target than you have locked up (never been useful to me). You can also dial in the wingspan of the vehicle and then manually adjust the sight diameter to range.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tetraptous posted:

Yeah, it's actually stupid easy to start once you find out the keyboard button to move the throttle into the right positions. (Home IIRC). I did the same thing you did, and had to consult the quick start guide for answers.

The other key thing is to learn how to use the A-4 gunsight. Basically, there's a mechanical level under the sight that you need to click on to uncage the gyro before combat. Then, you'll want to hold down the electrical cage button until you're behind a target and the red radar light is solid indicating a lock--release the button, and the sight will float over to the correct position to lead the target. It can move erratically while you maneuver because it only knows how fast you are turning (from the gyro) and the distance to the target (from the radar). The solution is correct of you're smoothly holding the crosshairs over the target, but will bounce around if you aren't since it doesn't actually "know" where the target is if you aren't tracking it exactly. There's also a knob you can use to limit the radar range in the presence of ground clutter, as well as a target rejection button to skip to a farther away target than you have locked up (never been useful to me). You can also dial in the wingspan of the vehicle and then manually adjust the sight diameter to range.

This is awesome and I wish all military technical manuals were written in this style.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Would anyone be interested in exploring the acrobatic and formation flying side of things? It might be fun to practice some maneuvers and Blue Angels/Thunderbirds type poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm game for those if someone else organizes them, I'll gladly join. Mustang is free in DCS world and a great plane for that.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Falcon BMS question: I've got a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS, which is a little short on hats and buttons. Is there any way to program a modifier key on the stick? Ideally I would be able to hold down a button on the throttle and switch the hat between TMS and DMS, or switch between panning around the cockpit and slewing the FCR cursor.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Don't contrail guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRHVIYmrnQ&feature=youtu.be

Also, first credited F15 kill on the 104th server :smug:

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Dilkington posted:

Falcon BMS question: I've got a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS, which is a little short on hats and buttons. Is there any way to program a modifier key on the stick? Ideally I would be able to hold down a button on the throttle and switch the hat between TMS and DMS, or switch between panning around the cockpit and slewing the FCR cursor.

You definitely can do this, if you google BMS shift states you'll get pointed in the right direction. I'm on my phone or I'd link it. Also, generally when setting up this way you prioritize tms/DMS on the hat, fcr on the keyboard, view however you can (like numpad for example).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Don't contrail guys.

Still a little new to this.. What were you flying?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Yod posted:

You definitely can do this, if you google BMS shift states you'll get pointed in the right direction. I'm on my phone or I'd link it. Also, generally when setting up this way you prioritize tms/DMS on the hat, fcr on the keyboard, view however you can (like numpad for example).

Here's the full article on shift states:
http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

Important notes:
1. Make sure to map the shift button twice, once as normal and once with the shifted-by-256 offset. Otherwise you can turn it on but can't turn it off.
2. Any mapping for a shifted value has to be done in Notepad. The Falcon setup UI is limited and won't understand how to map a shifted value. Frankly, I would just set the whole thing up in Notepad anyways so you know what the hell is going on.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Skoll posted:

Still a little new to this.. What were you flying?

Mig 21 bis. I highly recommend it.

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013

Mig 21 bis. I highly recommend it.

Before they released the Mig-21, there was a fantastic modded version on the dcs downloads page. Any chance these are the same or did they do their own version of it?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Don't contrail guys.

Ha. He rage quit. That's the real kill.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Lord Yod posted:

pthighs posted:

Here's the full article on shift states:
http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

Important notes:
1. Make sure to map the shift button twice, once as normal and once with the shifted-by-256 offset. Otherwise you can turn it on but can't turn it off.
2. Any mapping for a shifted value has to be done in Notepad. The Falcon setup UI is limited and won't understand how to map a shifted value. Frankly, I would just set the whole thing up in Notepad anyways so you know what the hell is going on.

Thanks. There goes my weekend.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There is also a keyfile editor, found in the wiki on the OP. It will streamline a lot of that.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Make sure you save after every EVERY change on the key editor. It likes to crash frequently.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Don't contrail guys.

sweeet

TM is sending my a new stick. huzzah. be here next week

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

HOTDOG posted:

Before they released the Mig-21, there was a fantastic modded version on the dcs downloads page. Any chance these are the same or did they do their own version of it?

From memory that was a kid for fc2. Anyway, I believe this is made mostly by the same guys but brings it up to the full sim grade. It's really fantastic and beautiful.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I haven't been playing BMS or DCS at all for the past few weeks because of a new "F2P" flight/tanking obsession that some Finnish ex-patriot who shall remain nameless got me hooked on; but the Mig-21 BIS is probably the highest quality 3rd party addon for DCS that's available. Its also total hoot to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Sauer posted:

I haven't been playing BMS or DCS at all for the past few weeks because of a new "F2P" flight/tanking obsession that some Finnish ex-patriot who shall remain nameless got me hooked on; but the Mig-21 BIS is probably the highest quality 3rd party addon for DCS that's available. Its also total hoot to fly.

war thunder :P