Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Thoughts on the Lumia Icon for Verizon? I broke my phone and am thinking of switching to a Windows Phone now that I'm using a Surface as my every day computer. I can get a refurbed one for $250. Is it worth it?

Also, what's the app situation like nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Darth TNT posted:

That is not the page you arrive on when you type in onedrive.com or outlook.com.

I opened up a new window, typed outlook.com, hit enter, and that's what I saw.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I suppose it depends on specific apps you want. Sometimes they're fine, sometimes they make a token appearance in the app store but are either buggy, lack features they've had on iOS and Android for years (I'm looking at you, Kindle), haven't been updated in forever and don't work properly (Engadget live tile, for instance), or they're absent altogether.

Best thing to do is go to http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store and search for the apps you like and see if they get good reviews, or are present at all.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Thoughts on the Lumia Icon for Verizon? I broke my phone and am thinking of switching to a Windows Phone now that I'm using a Surface as my every day computer. I can get a refurbed one for $250. Is it worth it?

The people I know with Icons love theirs.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Factor Mystic posted:

??? (same on my phone)

You opened it in an incog window anyway, so why would it save your login?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I have an Icon and it's the best smartphone I've ever had so far after coming from an iPhone. It's fast, sleek, and does everything I need it to.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Cool thanks guys I went ahead and ordered it, dont think I could find a better phone for <250.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Cool thanks guys I went ahead and ordered it, dont think I could find a better phone for <250.

I agree! I love my Icon. Especially now that it has Denim ... The camera app's speed increase is living up to the hype.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Isn't the Icon no longer available new? I think I had problems finding it when trying to get a new phone for my Verizon-using mom a few months back. Do you have to get it used?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

loquacius posted:

Isn't the Icon no longer available new? I think I had problems finding it when trying to get a new phone for my Verizon-using mom a few months back. Do you have to get it used?

Officially, Verizon is out of stock temporarily. IMO, they seem to be stopping support if the platform.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just bought an Icon on Swappa for $200. I'm loving it so far.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The Icon is a fantastic phone and Verizon really dropped the ball on not only discontinuing it but not letting the Cyan update go out.

I need to get the Otterbox Defender case for it soon because it's just in a shell right now and I don't want anything to happen to it. :ohdear:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Charles Martel posted:

The Icon is a fantastic phone and Verizon really dropped the ball on not only discontinuing it but not letting the Cyan update go out.

I need to get the Otterbox Defender case for it soon because it's just in a shell right now and I don't want anything to happen to it. :ohdear:

If you enable the developer preview you'll actually go all the way to denim now, assuming I read what you said correctly and you still think you're stuck pre-cyan.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

OldPueblo posted:

If you enable the developer preview you'll actually go all the way to denim now, assuming I read what you said correctly and you still think you're stuck pre-cyan.

So the Denim update is still in the Developer Preview? I'm on Denim now, but I figured that it was an official update that finally went through.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Charles Martel posted:

So the Denim update is still in the Developer Preview? I'm on Denim now, but I figured that it was an official update that finally went through.

I didn't track the exact versions as we went though them all (took several updates), all I know is that he updated till it said no more updates and he was still pre-denim. So we installed the DP and then he got to denim. It is an official release, in our case it could have been coincidental timing and it was just waiting a while before it grabbed the next update. All I know is that it's out and you should be able to get it now.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

I have Denim from Verizon without doing any developer preview. They took their sweet time, but it is finally out.

Now, whether I'll ever get 10...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Could someone explain to me why carriers need to be involved with phone software at all, other than making their support staff familiar with it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Because if the phone doesn't work after an update, they're who will be dealing with irate customers.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, the contract cash cow is pretty much the entire reason these days.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Considering picking up the Lumia 635 that's 'free' on Cricket ($75 with $75 VISA card) to give Windows Phone a shot. I do understand that it's more on the budget line of things so not to give too much focus on the quality of the camera and snappiness of it but really just looking to get a feel for the UI and overall WP experience. Is this a good idea for that purpose or would this phone not represent it that well?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I have a 635, and it's fine as a basic Windows Phone. Bear in mind it's only 512MB RAM. It has a MicroSD slot, but there's an annoyance: if you take out the card and reinsert it, StorageSense will no longer detect the card. The filesystem does (you can view with the Files app), but apparently the only way to fix is to reset the phone with the card in place.

I'm just using it for phone/text/mail/calendar, so I'm hardly pushing its limits. YMMV.

Edit: also, no front-facing camera, but I don't care about that. Others might.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My mom got a 635 recently and her use is mainly phone calls, whatsapp, alarm clock and calendar. Compared to my 925 is way slower but I have to admit that she got it for 24€ with a 9€/month contract (800mb data and 100min voice) wich is a great deal. To me seems like a nice basic device and is nicely built (feels more solid than most low-mid android devices).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So apparently, for some reason, Mouse Computer is going to be releasing Windows Phones. It will be unlocked (So no carrier support, which is not surprising) and have LTE support, otherwise no other information has been announced. Also, there is a 0.0% chance of this ever getting out of Japan. Despite that, I still want one, solely because it still blows my mind that a Japanese manufacture is making Windows Phones again.

Seriously, I'm all :psyduck: over it. But it's still cool to me.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I recently got an iPhone 6 and man, I'm really missing the camera on my Lumia 925; I can't take night photos anymore without some heavy post processing. And yet, it's refreshing to have apps that interact with each other so well and don't lose status when I task-switch between them..

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
So, I'm trying to replace the Room functionality with another calendar. I made a separate calendar in Outlook.com for my wife and I, but it doesn't show up in the app.

Is this not going to work? Do I have to share my whole main calendar with her? She doesn't need gym alerts and poo poo like that. Or do I create a google calendar and share that, because that is basically the exact opposite reason I got a Windows Phone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

I opened up a new window, typed outlook.com, hit enter, and that's what I saw.
That's weird, I always get a splash telling my how great it is to have a windows login. :confused: Now that I try it again, it still does that when I type in onedrive, but not when I do outlook. Progress! Or have I been imagining things and it always only does that for onedrive?

ElGroucho posted:

So, I'm trying to replace the Room functionality with another calendar. I made a separate calendar in Outlook.com for my wife and I, but it doesn't show up in the app.

Is this not going to work? Do I have to share my whole main calendar with her? She doesn't need gym alerts and poo poo like that. Or do I create a google calendar and share that, because that is basically the exact opposite reason I got a Windows Phone.

I have a shared outlook calendar. All I did was add a separate group to my Calender called family, added her as co-owner and gave it a nice gaudy color. It showed up in her phone not much later. :shrug:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

That is not the page you arrive on when you type in onedrive.com or outlook.com.

with pics: when you click on sign in on onedrive's page, it pops this up:

filling that out leads to this with the email field filled out

why does that first screen exist. why does it look like a student's first modal popup. that is insane. Just give me an actual login option on the main onedrive page, or immediately redirect me to that second screen when i click sign in. or just pop up more loving screens asking me for number 1 and 2 so that you can add them together in a third window because that's what I'm kinda expecting with what you got there currently.

edit: I actually get the correct login screen for outlook.com though.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 23, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
FWIW, that's what I saw when I pulled up Chrome on my Windows desktop and tried logging into OneDrive.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I ended up having to share the calendar with myself for WP to notice it. :wtc:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

beefnoodle posted:

I have a 635, and it's fine as a basic Windows Phone. Bear in mind it's only 512MB RAM. It has a MicroSD slot, but there's an annoyance: if you take out the card and reinsert it, StorageSense will no longer detect the card. The filesystem does (you can view with the Files app), but apparently the only way to fix is to reset the phone with the card in place.

I'm just using it for phone/text/mail/calendar, so I'm hardly pushing its limits. YMMV.

Edit: also, no front-facing camera, but I don't care about that. Others might.

Guillermus posted:

My mom got a 635 recently and her use is mainly phone calls, whatsapp, alarm clock and calendar. Compared to my 925 is way slower but I have to admit that she got it for 24€ with a 9€/month contract (800mb data and 100min voice) wich is a great deal. To me seems like a nice basic device and is nicely built (feels more solid than most low-mid android devices).

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered it today. I can handle the shortcomings of it as it'll either serve as a play-phone or a backup phone unless I really take to WP at which point I'll look for a more robust offering for the 'daily 'driver'.

One thing I'm unclear on though, is creating a wireless hotspot as simple and straightforward as it is on Android? My Z3C on Cricket has no problems right not despite not being explicitly a part of my plan, does anyone have any experience and can address this function of WP and/or the 635 and tethering?

Thanks!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't do it too often, but you can change one of the quick settings to be internet sharing, and whenever that's selected you have a hotspot. If you don't want to take up a quick setting spot, you can just go to All Settings > Internet sharing and enable it that way. This is on AT&T and it's part of my (mobile share) plan though.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered it today. I can handle the shortcomings of it as it'll either serve as a play-phone or a backup phone unless I really take to WP at which point I'll look for a more robust offering for the 'daily 'driver'.

One thing I'm unclear on though, is creating a wireless hotspot as simple and straightforward as it is on Android? My Z3C on Cricket has no problems right not despite not being explicitly a part of my plan, does anyone have any experience and can address this function of WP and/or the 635 and tethering?

I have a 635 as my daily driver and I'm a heavy user -- spend lots of my time reading news, listening to podcasts, using maps and voice nav, taking baby photos, using OneBusAway, doing my own app development. I mostly love it, apart from "heavy" websites that take too long to load. (example: BBC News mobile website, to fetch a single story, makes 315 separate network requests and fetches a total of 4.6mb of data. I guess a lot of it is ads and fancy javascript because actual text content of a story is only about 3k.)

To create a hotspot you go to Settings > InternetSharing and press the "on" button. I never understood how it works with plans. I used to be able to do this on T-Mobile, then I couldn't, and now I can again.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Google just bought Softcard, so I'll probably have to stop tapping to pay next month.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

This is less windows phone and more home automation, but I'll do a quick trip report on SmartThings who recently updated their windows phone app. I've wanted to dip my toe into home automation for a while now, but was afraid of all the different standards out there, what would be compatible with what, would I invest into a dead end group, who supports windows phone, etc. SmartThings appears to be the safe bet and they've recently stated they'll be moving to a universal app with Cortana support. All I've done is buy two z-wave modules for my already existing thermostats, then buy a couple z-wave light switches, and our windows phones are acting as presence sensors (come/go/IFTT). So the app allows me to toggle the lights on and off, mess with my thermostats including flipping from heat to cool (an annoying issue this time of year in Arizona), and check to see if either of us are home without texting/waiting for a reply. Insteon was the other front-runner but they're pretty locked down compatibility-wise and I've heard they haven't updated their app much. Also Samsung just bought SmartThings but they appear to be staying open source (at least so far as I've seen). If you have three hours to kill, take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upIiJt9iEUc
http://smarthomedb.com/ (to see what works with what)

tl;dr Smart Things supports Windows Phone for home automation poo poo.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 23, 2015

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Someone explain XBox Music to me. My 920 USB charging port fried overseas so I picked up a 1520. I had an extensive collection of albums dl'd from Xbox music. I have tried re dl'ing them, but in many cases the full album doesn't appear available anymore.

Now despite my 920's USB charging port being melted, the phone itself is still fully functional via charging with the charging plate. The albums that are only partially available on the 1520 still exist in full and are totally playable on my 920. Why? Is there a way to transfer that music to my 1520?

Contemplating ditching my Xbox music subscription and giving Spotify a shot.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

Someone explain XBox Music to me. My 920 USB charging port fried overseas so I picked up a 1520. I had an extensive collection of albums dl'd from Xbox music. I have tried re dl'ing them, but in many cases the full album doesn't appear available anymore.

Now despite my 920's USB charging port being melted, the phone itself is still fully functional via charging with the charging plate. The albums that are only partially available on the 1520 still exist in full and are totally playable on my 920. Why? Is there a way to transfer that music to my 1520?

Xbox music is just DRM and checks to see if you ever added a song to your collection. If you have the files you can play them on any device that has been authorized. You can plug your 920 in to a PC, open the music folder, and copy the songs. Then plug the 1520 in and drag the albums onto the 1520.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

Xbox music is just DRM and checks to see if you ever added a song to your collection. If you have the files you can play them on any device that has been authorized. You can plug your 920 in to a PC, open the music folder, and copy the songs. Then plug the 1520 in and drag the albums onto the 1520.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

wookieepelt posted:

Sounds like I'll be ordering a new shell and internal USB charging cable to repair my 920. Can't connect it to my PC until I fix the melted port.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

Sounds like I'll be ordering a new shell and internal USB charging cable to repair my 920. Can't connect it to my PC until I fix the melted port.

You can also upload the music to OneDrive using the files app from Microsoft. Open the music folder, select the albums, tap on share. You can also email yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
This is a great example of why putting your music in the cloud is better than having it on-device. PS, once it's in OneDrive, you can use my app Harmony Music to stream it on demand. It works best when your music is tagged correctly.