Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

jesus christ why did it put me at silver 6 I go 2/0/20 every game and we get destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

jesus christ why did it put me at silver 6 I go 2/0/20 every game and we get destroyed

You won your first couple games.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That gif really is silver in a nutshell. Doesn't get any more representative than that.

Speaking of silver, a little while back I ended up getting some advice from people in this thread about how to improve past silver. I haven't been totally faithful to the advice, but whenever I'm thinking about it I try to play just focusing on my aim, gently caress everything else for now. I'm happy to report that I win most of my games, have carried a fair number of them, and am now facing Silver 3 players every game, with a few 4s mixed in sometimes. Still plenty of 2s, though of course the skill gap is not too big between those ranks anyway. Since getting that advice, I got my first ace, and my second through who knows how many 4kills. I've played 80 hours(some of which has been idling at the main screen, granted) and won 46 matches.

I feel that if I had faithfully stuck to the advice every game I would be out of silver already, but unfortunately I like getting stoned before I play. So if anyone else is concerned with getting out of silver, please consider the advice of decomposing the game into a few essential elements(awareness, aim, communication, strategy, whatever other categories you might come up with) and try to focus on one at a time.

If you're focusing on aim: Remember that you're playing against silvers, who are predictably impatient. When in a tense firefight and in doubt, just plant your rear end and let them come to you. They will inevitably run into your crosshairs and all you have to do is click. Easy peasy they do all the hard work for you :)

If you're focusing on tactics: Remember that you're playing against silvers, who have predictable rhythms. When in a tense firefight all of them will have a 'beat'. Simply think one or two steps ahead of where they'll be going and you now know both when AND where they'll be. Easy peasy it's like you've got wall hacks :)

If you're focusing on teamwork: lol settle down your teammates are probably retarded. Completely unreliable until you at least reach the low guardians. Any times a teammate comes to your rescue or properly clears a room with you should be viewed as a bonus. Do not depend on them. The other team isn't relying on each other either. Once you hit novas you'll have to start thinking bigger as people start cooperating but for now just frag and remember to win rounds one at a time.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Luigi Thirty posted:

> Save last round
> mlg

We need a :silvers: emot

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Systane and I are on our fourth bar tonight. Welcome to the future.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
plz don't die :h: u guys stay safe mom luvs u

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Necc0 posted:

plz don't die :h: u guys stay safe mom luvs u

Sys says he is already done. I am good2go though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Necc0 posted:

> Save last round
> mlg

I bought an autosniper for the last round of the first half. I then proceeded to get my head blown off by the guy on our team AWPing down mid as soon as I went to leave the spawn because I ran in front of him right as he shot. He took the autosniper and died to the CT AWPer. :downsgun:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
just dropped $100 on keys and opened cases, heres the haul:

dont open cases

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I have a friend who has opened 10 cases, and he's unboxed a knife and an AWP lightning strike.

My best box was a Bizon Antique.

(also if that dragon king is FN, its worth the price of the keys (it's clearly not, WW?)

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
ft

its still all the dragon king i want, the main decal isn't damaged so it still looks boss as gently caress

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 21, 2015

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
The only good thing I ever got was a red laminate AK when they first came out like 2 years ago.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Necc0 posted:

If you're focusing on teamwork: lol settle down your teammates are probably retarded. Completely unreliable until you at least reach the low guardians. Any times a teammate comes to your rescue or properly clears a room with you should be viewed as a bonus. Do not depend on them. The other team isn't relying on each other either. Once you hit novas you'll have to start thinking bigger as people start cooperating but for now just frag and remember to win rounds one at a time.

This is the best piece of advice in this thread for silvers. Turn down voice chat, and ignore everyone. Play for kills. Your team will complain for two rounds, but when you inevitably start doing better than them since no one is blocking your way or giving away your position, then they'll cool down.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
holy god lou is playing goonmans on buttman atm and he is so loving wasted its great

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
just wait til yiss and i join those two. :getin:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 21, 2015

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I honestly have no clue how anyone can legitimately be bad enough to stay at like 2 star nova or below, goons can confirm I play like a loving retard and can't shoot and I maintain MGE. I guess p90 brings you up like 5 ranks. But I still run into a lot of really lovely players at MGE and win games frequently(just won a game where I top fragged) so I really have no idea when I'll hit a point where I'm impressed with players besides people hacking. A lot of the goons I play with seem like 10x better than MGE players so I have no clue if most of them are higher or just don't try hard in MM.

One of my friends who had never played a FPS game before in his life got to MG2 in a few months by using aim maps and focusing on learning d2.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 21, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Necc0 posted:

> Save last round
> mlg

Im partial to the sass from the Silver 1 myself

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Slumpy posted:

The only good thing I ever got was a red laminate AK when they first came out like 2 years ago.

Are you me? gently caress Gabe

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Akumos posted:

I honestly have no clue how anyone can legitimately be bad enough to stay at like 2 star nova or below, goons can confirm I play like a loving retard and can't shoot and I maintain MGE. I guess p90 brings you up like 5 ranks. But I still run into a lot of really lovely players at MGE and win games frequently(just won a game where I top fragged) so I really have no idea when I'll hit a point where I'm impressed with players besides people hacking. A lot of the goons I play with seem like 10x better than MGE players so I have no clue if most of them are higher or just don't try hard in MM.

One of my friends who had never played a FPS game before in his life got to MG2 in a few months by using aim maps and focusing on learning d2.

MGE is what I can't get past. I've been drifting between it and MG2 for months now. I get flanked and sometimes peek too much and all that, but I feel like my biggest problem is aim and reaction time. At around this level I keep running into players who I just cannot seem to beat in a gunfight. Sometimes they appear and headshot me before I can even react to them and click my mouse to shoot back, it's insane. It's scary because if I'm having a hard time with them, eagles and whatnot must be so hard to deal with. I've been playing for a little over a year now, this is my first CS game. It sucks because I feel like I should be farther up in the ranks by now, but maybe I'm wrong and this is common, idk.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

MGE is what I can't get past. I've been drifting between it and MG2 for months now. I get flanked and sometimes peek too much and all that, but I feel like my biggest problem is aim and reaction time. At around this level I keep running into players who I just cannot seem to beat in a gunfight. Sometimes they appear and headshot me before I can even react to them and click my mouse to shoot back, it's insane. It's scary because if I'm having a hard time with them, eagles and whatnot must be so hard to deal with. I've been playing for a little over a year now, this is my first CS game. It sucks because I feel like I should be farther up in the ranks by now, but maybe I'm wrong and this is common, idk.

Are you statically holding common angles as CT? Like d2 pit ? MG1 is around the rank I started to prefire those spots. It super satisfying nailing someone you haven't even seen yet. Im still stuck in MG2 because of my god awful awareness though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

MrSmokes posted:

From what I've noticed playing with eagles is their aim actually isn't that much better but their positioning and coordination really becomes a whole new thing and you learn really quickly how much it helps. Stuff like seeing nothing and suddenly three guys pop out at the exact same time all firing directly at you. In a 1-on-1 you could probably take any of them on. Guardians is where teamwork and squad tactics becomes important, eagles and up is where you can blindly trust and make very strong assumptions about your teammate's behavior and be correct.

Unfortunately for your rank this means that unless you're regularly queueing with the same people you're gonna have a rough time climbing out of MGE/DMG. Also: establishing good vibes from round one is absolutely crucial. All it takes is one raging assholes to ruin it all and turn your 5-man into five individuals.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

MrSmokes posted:

From what I can tell, probably the biggest skill hurdles are MGE -> DMG and DMG -> Eagle. MGE and DMG are the largest skill groups iirc.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Akumos posted:

I can't shot for poo poo and either run around like a headless chicken trying to figure out where I should be going since the team is probably going in 4 different directions to get to a bomb site (T) or twitch like a Nazi pilot on meth while sitting on a point and get killed by the first guy that appears (CT) :shrug:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Fuckin' A solo queue matchmaking is a slow path to suicide.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

I often play in a full lobby with my friends in Mumble and I think they're actually holding me back

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Necc0 posted:

From what I've noticed playing with eagles is their aim actually isn't that much better but their positioning and coordination really becomes a whole new thing and you learn really quickly how much it helps. Stuff like seeing nothing and suddenly three guys pop out at the exact same time all firing directly at you. In a 1-on-1 you could probably take any of them on. Guardians is where teamwork and squad tactics becomes important, eagles and up is where you can blindly trust and make very strong assumptions about your teammate's behavior and be correct.

Also their xhair positioning is real good. If you peek a common angle your head is coming off like whoa, but if you flash even to get them to look away you have a chance.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Necc0 posted:

Unfortunately for your rank this means that unless you're regularly queueing with the same people you're gonna have a rough time climbing out of MGE/DMG. Also: establishing good vibes from round one is absolutely crucial. All it takes is one raging assholes to ruin it all and turn your 5-man into five individuals.

This is really good advice. When my friend and I went on a 10 game winning streak it was because we sort of took charge of playing seriously while adding some levity so as to let people know it was for fun, too. People will respond positively to you if you a.) are good natured towards them, usually and b.) are effective in what you do. You don't need aim so much as map knowledge and a general idea of what your opponents and teammates are going to do. That is literally the difference. Now, getting up to SMFC or GE, you need all of that plus great aim and reaction time. Or hacks, I guess.

henne posted:

Also their xhair positioning is real good. If you peek a common angle your head is coming off like whoa, but if you flash even to get them to look away you have a chance.

This is overblown, by contrast. It's important but honestly that stuff should have been trained into you from double AK.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 21, 2015

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Turk February posted:

just wait til yiss and i join those two. :getin:

Watching the stream they are making it sound like it's going to be all peggle and halo :lol:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

hello internet posted:

Watching the stream they are making it sound like it's going to be all peggle and halo :lol:

We got Hiko here and other professionals like the up and coming Systane.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Stream link?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

mcvey posted:

Stream link?

http://www.twitch.tv/GamersOutreach

Come watch someones mom playing peggle.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 21, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This better be recorded by the time I get back

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
"This guy who's just sitting down.. he definitely knows what he's doing. This should be some high level peggle."

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Akumos posted:

I honestly have no clue how anyone can legitimately be bad enough to stay at like 2 star nova or below, goons can confirm I play like a loving retard and can't shoot and I maintain MGE.

If you are in America, can you 1v1 me?

I'm just curious of the skill gap between you and me. Just an aim map, as everyone says that is 99% of the skill levels at gold nova, etc.

I am a gold nova 2.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

40 OZ posted:

I'm just curious of the skill gap between you and me. Just an aim map, as everyone says that is 99% of the skill levels at gold nova, etc.

I am a gold nova 2.

Don't worry I'm LE and you can out aim me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

40 OZ posted:

I am a gold nova 2.

Nah, that's not true. Your aim improves with practice, as does your reaction time, game awareness, xhair placement, nade placement and usage, teamwork etc. If you enjoy the game, play it. If aim is an issue for you, the simple tried and true method for improving it is reducing your sensitivity. Seriously. You don't need to do any more than a 180 going from one side of your mousepad to the other. Also? Aim doesn't really matter.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

pandaK posted:

This better be recorded by the time I get back

I'm honestly wondering if they are even going to show any of the tournament. The only mention of the CS one was "Oh yeah and we have a counter strike tournament" and the stream schedule doesn't say anything about it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Aim is 75% crosshair placement.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

True and Real posted:

If you enjoy the game, play it. If aim is an issue for you, the simple tried and true method for improving it is reducing your sensitivity. Seriously.

Ephedra posted:

Don't worry I'm LE and you can out aim me.

Yeah but we are all just posting here and I read these things, but it's just all text. I'd really like to know.

I just want to see how much of a gap there is between those 4-5 ranks or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

40 OZ posted:

Yeah but we are all just posting here and I read these things, but it's just all text. I'd really like to know.

I just want to see how much of a gap there is between those 4-5 ranks or whatever.

I'm bored I'll 1v1 you. Link your steam profile

• Locked thread