Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

enraged_camel posted:

Narration was the first thing I turned off.

Just like the character speech bubbles, it's cool at first, but gets old fast once you start hearing the same lines over and over.

I don't really understand why you're playing this game if you're not going to actually enjoy any of the fun parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

RubberBands Hurt posted:

"Town events" were one of the kickstarter stretch goals, and I'm hoping there's going to be some substance there beyond the stuff that happens in the recovery areas. Invasions/etc seem likely, both from how much it's been requested and because they're likely going to want to leverage the time passing mechanic.

Also, there was a Dev stream a week or so ago (Redhook_Chris I believe, one of the artists; with one of the devs gleefully trolling him during his failure spiral) where they said the tree in town will be where the glossary of events/creatures will be located. It's also fairly likely that some/all of that will be narrated (going by some positive responses on Twitter to such inquiries)

Speaking of the tree, for some reason that Tree is currently a Statue in my game, not sure when it changed or why either.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Just like the character speech bubbles, it's cool at first, but gets old fast once you start hearing the same lines over and over.

The character speech bubbles are insanely annoying at the wagon, holy poo poo why do they cover up the only important part of that UI.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Antares posted:

The character speech bubbles are insanely annoying at the wagon, holy poo poo why do they cover up the only important part of that UI.

How that went through play testing is beyond anyone with eyes!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I just lost my first character that was over level 2, a level 4. He was a great occultist, and right before he died I started thinking of what I was going to rename him to because he was becoming one of my favorite characters. :(

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I don't really understand why you're playing this game if you're not going to actually enjoy any of the fun parts.

You have to be a special kind of person if you enjoy hearing the same lines over and over.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I just lost my first character that was over level 2, a level 4. He was a great occultist, and right before he died I started thinking of what I was going to rename him to because he was becoming one of my favorite characters. :(

:aaa: You can rename characters?

enraged_camel posted:

You have to be a special kind of person if you enjoy hearing the same lines over and over.

lol just miserable about everything aren't you

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chard posted:

lol just miserable about everything aren't you

Nope. Besides the annoying speech bubbles and the repetitive narration, I like the game quite a lot.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The guy who narrated this should have been hired for the American male voice in Dragon Age Inquisition.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Night10194 posted:

You enjoy the game pausing every time you press a button to spam the same message at you a dozen times?

Because I genuinely want to know how you derive entertainment out of that. I was only able to get an hour with this game before having my masochists shouting "no me! hit me!" everytime i take any kind of damage drained my will to live.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

enraged_camel posted:

The bubbles are a way worse offender. They slow down combat even. They're cool if they don't interfere with the gameplay, but when I have to wait like five seconds to take my turn because my guy said something pointless about how we're all going to die to that pigman with 1 hp, then I start getting annoyed.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

You enjoy the game pausing every time you press a button to spam the same message at you a dozen times?

Because I genuinely want to know how you derive entertainment out of that. I was only able to get an hour with this game before having my masochists shouting "no me! hit me!" everytime i take any kind of damage drained my will to live.

If you have a Masochist in your first hour you should just dismiss that corpse and recruit fresh fools imo.

But yeah, the bubbles are too slow. There's an option to add more time to the barks in the options (:psyduck:) if they just made it go to negatives too that would be perfect.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
How do you turn the bubbles off?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chard posted:

To great effect.

My Crusaders are the Order of Oscar. Unfortunately the founding brother, Oscar The 1st, has passed on, but Oscar The 2nd, Oscar The 3rd and Oscar The 4th are still keeping the effort strong.

My Bounty Hunters have been Boba (RIP), Jango and Greedo thus far.

My two Jesters are Jay and Shaggy :v:

So on and so forth with silly naming conventions.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Akumos posted:

How do you turn the bubbles off?

You can't yet. His sentence was structured in such a way that made it seem like you could, but you can't.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't really mind the word bubbles until just now. Two unlucky crits, a howl by a ghoul and a drums of doom, triggered a cascade of afflictions, two good, two bad. Both bad ones were masochistic. They absolutely will not shut up, I tried to spam food to heal them out of battle, and it has resulted in me being unable to move my party for a full minute while it cycles through their heal denial word bubbles that I spammed my way through. :/

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
You can open up persist.options.json with a text editor and set extra_bark_time to about -150. It's not perfectly smooth or fully readable, but it's a lot nicer than the default pace.

You can also adjust the in-combat pacing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

enraged_camel posted:

They need more lines. I like the narrator in Hand of Fate - he's got a lot more to say and as an added bonus for Brits of a certain age, sounds a lot like Tregard from Knightmare, including Tregard's trademark "Nasty..." when things go really wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw. One of my A-Team bit the dust, rip Bradwardine, died the most inglorious death to a DOT tick after getting crit by a corpse eater. First level four loss, but at least I got to loot the sun ring and berserker charm off his corpse!

edit: after upgrading my Vestal to the final ranks of her skills, I'm wagering she's overall a way better healer than the Occultist I've seen suggested earlier in the thread. Guaranteed 7-8 heal with no risk of bleed, and a guaranteed 3 HP all-party heal seems much better than a 0-12 single target heal with a bleed chance.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 21, 2015

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Captain Invictus posted:

Aw. One of my A-Team bit the dust, rip Bradwardine, died the most inglorious death to a DOT tick after getting crit by a corpse eater. First level four loss, but at least I got to loot the sun ring and berserker charm off his corpse!

edit: after upgrading my Vestal to the final ranks of her skills, I'm wagering she's overall a way better healer than the Occultist I've seen suggested earlier in the thread. Guaranteed 7-8 heal with no risk of bleed, and a guaranteed 3 HP all-party heal seems much better than a 0-12 single target heal with a bleed chance.

It's really getting your Vestal to the AoE heal Rank 5 that makes her stupidly OP. 3 points of healing on all characters for a total of a whopping 12 point heal with no downsides.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Fully upgraded occultist heals for the same on average. The two big differences between the healers are consistency and other skills. The vestal is much more consistent which is a very strong point in her favor, which is why I think they need to tweak the occultist heal in some way. The other skills and how they work with your party should be why you take one healer or the other. I feel the occultist has the better non-heal options, with back-row aoe(and his super high crit), a pull, and a couple debuff options. Also if you're running low light every time you stun with vestal you get +torch.

Occultist has better camp options for an early buffing camp, while vestral has better options for a hp/stress recovery camp.

So look at what type of party you're trying to run, and pick the one that fits into it better. I'm really going to have to try that 2xoccultist and 2xhighwayman strat that other guy posted.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Darkest Dungeon - Don't kill Wilbur

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Darkest Dungeon - Kill Wil

:colbert:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My guess is this is what the Man at Arms is going to be, maybe? Just look at that shield! I love a good tank class.

The fact that it says Man At Arms right on the picture may indicate you're right.

Captain Invictus posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying, though. DD isn't really similar to FTL because in FTL, there can be certain situations that are absolutely hopeless from the start, while I've never had a DD run where I didn't have options or a way out at least.

Well yeah, the game has literally no way to lose...

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 21, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chard posted:

Its easy to miss, when you're in town there's a little... green square button? I think its green. Its right next to their names when you open up their character sheet.

On the one hand lots of people avoid naming level 0 heroes because like food animals, they're not gonna stick around and you're gonna be sad if you grow attached.

On the other hand there's a certain Oregon Trail style fun to be had from naming a party after all your friends and then seeing who dies first. :haw:

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

As much as it is a very silly mechanic, importing a friend list from Facebook would be great for this game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

As much as it is a very silly mechanic, importing a friend list from Facebook would be great for this game.
Haha :drat:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Angrymog posted:

They need more lines. I like the narrator in Hand of Fate - he's got a lot more to say and as an added bonus for Brits of a certain age, sounds a lot like Tregard from Knightmare, including Tregard's trademark "Nasty..." when things go really wrong.

They need no lines. Turn that garbage off. the narration and the speech bubbles are loving awful ideas that are implemented even worse.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I like the narration but holy poo poo the speech bubbles are awful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

They need no lines. Turn that garbage off. the narration and the speech bubbles are loving awful ideas that are implemented even worse.

I too wish this game was devoid of flavour and I had a party of generic boring NPCs.

Seriously, I can get your grief with the speech bubbles interrupting combat. I get that the narrator can become repetitive when you hear the same lines over and over. These things can be improved though, and cutting them out would rob the game of a ton of its charm.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 21, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only time the speech bubbles annoy me is at the end of a camp, and sometimes they block the interface in town. Yeah they need to shut up in town.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I too wish this game was devoid of flavour and I had a part of generic boring NPCs.

Seriously, I can get your grief with the speech bubbles interrupting combat. I get that the narrator can become repetitive when you hear the same lines over and over. These things can be improved though, and cutting them out would rob the game of a ton of its charm.

I too enjoy hearing bland generic npcs repeat the same canned lines and believe that adding more canned lines to say the exact same thing in different ways would improve the game.

(look, i can be a sarcastic rear end too! am i a cool kid now?)

I don't see how canned lines are charming.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The speech bubbles in town would probably be fine if they never covered the UI, and happened 1/10 as often. It's every five seconds or something right now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vanguard Warden posted:

The speech bubbles in town would probably be fine if they never covered the UI, and happened 1/10 as often. It's every five seconds or something right now.

They also need a larger variety. Right now it's basically "0 stress, I wanna get in there and kill some poo poo" or "not 0 stress, I'm gonna crack if you put me on the team".

Yes, Dismas, I'm sure you're going to break down completely if you go on a mission while you have 4 stress. I'm positive that will happen.

That said, I leave narration and speech bubbles on because they really add something unique in fights.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Vanguard Warden posted:

I love the guy yelling about how much he needs respite when he's only got one bar of stress. We have such sights to show you! :cenobite:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is horrific. e'en so, i am at ease.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I too enjoy hearing bland generic npcs repeat the same canned lines and believe that adding more canned lines to say the exact same thing in different ways would improve the game.

(look, i can be a sarcastic rear end too! am i a cool kid now?)

I don't see how canned lines are charming.

If you can't see how actually giving more character to your party and the setting improves a game then that's your own fault. The party speech tells you a lot more about each class than you'd ever learn from just their bios. There are some generic lines shared by everyone but replacing those wouldn't be hard. I'd enjoy this game a lot less if I was just playing with a soulless party of NPCs I'm sending into meat grinder over and over.

Stuff like it obscuring the UI and interrupting combat is a problem that needs to be addressed though. No reason for that to happen.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If you can't see how actually giving more character to your party and the setting improves a game then that's your own fault. The party speech tells you a lot more about each class than you'd ever learn from just their bios. There are some generic lines shared by everyone but replacing those wouldn't be hard. I'd enjoy this game a lot less if I was just playing with a soulless party of NPCs I'm sending into meat grinder over and over.

Stuff like it obscuring the UI and interrupting combat is a problem that needs to be addressed though. No reason for that to happen.

But they are soulless. Every single highway man has the same lines as every other highway man. There is nothing unique about any of your lepers. Steve the Plague Doctor and Bill the Plague Doctor are basically the same person.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The narration owns and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong :colbert:

I kind of like the speech bubbles but they REALLY need to be passive, i.e. not prevent you from doing stuff or the game from continuing. Fix that and them covering the UI in town and I doubt anyone will be particularly annoyed by them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I don't ever use occultists as healers, every time i've tried to rely on them, even with preemptive healing of barely hurt characters it ends up being a giant waste of a turn. It certainly feels like it averages the low end of the healing range more often than mid or high end, and the bleed is icing on the crap cake of a 0 pt heal. Even if the bleed wasn't there it would feel like as much of a waste.

Do weald quests just not show up much? I'm up to like week 30 and i've only ever seen two there. I am suffering from a huge lack of deeds.

I also do wish there was some kind of class smoothing for the wagon, i've only seen 2 hellions and maybe 3 vestals compared to shitloads of bounty hunters, jesters and occultists. (One reason why i've tried to use occultists as primary healers)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

The narration owns and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong :colbert:

I kind of like the speech bubbles but they REALLY need to be passive, i.e. not prevent you from doing stuff or the game from continuing. Fix that and them covering the UI in town and I doubt anyone will be particularly annoyed by them.

this pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

But they are soulless. Every single highway man has the same lines as every other highway man. There is nothing unique about any of your lepers. Steve the Plague Doctor and Bill the Plague Doctor are basically the same person.
Send this one to journey elsewhere, for we have need of sterner stock