Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't think it was deliberately targeting an Archie comic, but it was definitely making GBS threads on people who idealize America's racist, sexist, classist past as an excuse to disparage the world of today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Question IRL posted:

I remember reading a Captain America comic from the 80's where Cap goes to this "idealistic" turn of the Century representation of America.

Speaking of which, have a z-list Spider-Man foe!

Marvel Team-Up #120

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For some reason I can't help but think of that guy being the supervillain version of Ted Turner in something like The Venture Brothers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Marvel Team-Up #120

Seanbaby did an article on Turner D. Century back in ye olde internette days: http://www.seanbaby.com/stupcom/tdc.htm

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Marvel Team-Up #120

He's the saddest supervillain, because he shared the bicycle built for two* he committed crimes on with a mannequin dressed up like a fine lady from the Gilded Age instead of an actual human partner-in-crime.

Edit: Hahaha, I just looked him up on Wikipedia and apparently one of his "powers" is ownership of a horn that kills anyone under retirement age.

*Wouldn't a man who fetishised the 1890s have ridden a penny-farthing?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 20, 2015

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, something like that. And it came off the heavily advertised "wedding of Archie" thing, if I recall, so it was like a bait and switch.

Maybe, but Mr. Weatherbee finally marrying Ms. Grundy, despite her being diagnosed with terminal cancer, then having them enjoy as much time as they could before she died was amazingly well done. As the kids say, right in the feels.

Life With Archie was a pretty good read, really.

Dilton's Amish beard, on the other hand, was disconcerting. But that was probably what they were going for.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Marvel Team-Up #120

Technically he's a D-list Spider-Woman foe :eng101:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gotta source that poo poo so I don't have to ask where it's from.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Newest Rocket Raccoon. #9, I think.

Edit: vvvv Oops, yeah, #8.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 20, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Gotta source that poo poo so I don't have to ask where it's from.

Oh sorry, it's from RR #8.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A young Mark Millar read this, jaw slowly dropping, and whispered,"Brilliant."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Back to Back to the Future #4 - The reference is funnier out of context; Bob Gale and Melora Hardin time travel back to the past to prevent Eric Stoltz from being recast in BTTF. I thought the concept was funny but the comic ended up being 75% BTTF quotes and 90% the BTTF2 plot so I can't honestly recommend it.

Lurdiak posted:

Archie's main comic also had that crisis on infinite Archies thing going on, which was the weirdest thing to even happen to Archie since that time they revealed Jughead was a time cop who was in love with Archie's great grand-daughter from the future and that's why he wasn't interested in other girls.

The reason he isn't interested in other girls is because he had his first heartbreak early, when he moved away from his childhood friend, Joani Jumpp. She was part of Jughead's love quadrangle (yes, Marshall January McAndrews was another part of it); if anyone actually wants more detail on this I can, uh, post a lot more in the Archie thread.

Lurdiak posted:

They also introduced a gay character a few years back, which isn't really notable except for the fact that it's Archie.

Not notable that he's gay, but notable in that he had his gay wedding before anyone in Marvel or DC!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Argue posted:

The reason he isn't interested in other girls is because he had his first heartbreak early, when he moved away from his childhood friend, Joani Jumpp. She was part of Jughead's love quadrangle (yes, Marshall January McAndrews was another part of it); if anyone actually wants more detail on this I can, uh, post a lot more in the Archie thread.

That was a later retcon they did after dropping the Time Police story. January McAndrews was definitely his love interest while that was going on, and the reason given for his lack of interest in girls.

E: Wait, I think I'm getting my stories confused.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 21, 2015

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Jughead's lack of interest in girls is one of those things that makes sense when you're a kid reading Archie Comics (because ew, girls) and when you get older and realize he's a teenager that should be exploding with hormones that on its face doesn't make any sense at all. (yes there's asexuality, but that's hard to understand even as an adult, so one defaults to seemingly more likely reasons.)

I remember once reading a story where I think it was Dilton who ended up in an 'inverted' Archie world and in it instead of disliking girls, he hated food, to the point where he was psychotically obsessed with destroying food and 'curing the world of eating'. Which sort of begs the question why he hadn't long starved to death...though the story might have been presented as a nightmare and hence dream logic.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 21, 2015

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's the exact same reason the Soylent guy gave in his crowdfunding manifesto.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Argue posted:

It should bother me how much I want to read more about this, but honestly there's just something so fascinating about the more insane elements of Archie comics. So, yes, I'd be interested.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Jughead's lack of interest in girls is one of those things that makes sense when you're a kid reading Archie Comics (because ew, girls) and when you get older and realize he's a teenager that should be exploding with hormones that on its face doesn't make any sense at all. (yes there's asexuality, but that's hard to understand even as an adult, so one defaults to seemingly more likely reasons.)

Well, from an in-universe perspective it's entirely possible he's not asexual and simply considers a relationship to be too much of a hassle (He does wind up marrying Midge in both(?) future universes) even before you get to weird time travel shenanigans, but honestly the explanation probably boils down to his not being interested in women making him a good foil to Archie for writing purposes, with the added bonus of him getting to absorb all of those teenage appetite jokes.

Of course, there's a more disturbing alternative:

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

"Y...you...oh...okay. I'll...
I'll be here if you change your mind...
we can be space cowboys together later...
So, a long time ago I saw a series of panels where Reed Richards convinces (demands) Johnny to drink something, then reveals it's water distilled from urine. Does anyone have that lying around?

In exchange, I offer a bunch of background art from Ms. Marvel #1-5:

Fire safety at the Circle Q is taken seriously:

It's not such a priority at Coles Academic High, though:

Missing children also get pretty laid-back treatment:

TEAM BLAMES FANS

There are a lot of..."niche" products available in Jersey City:

Of course, no need to go to the store when you can get all your shopping done on the sidewalk:

That guy's probably way more interested in your stories, too:

Coles Academic underwent some unscheduled renovations, but their curriculum probably wasn't up to federal standards anyway:

Canon media outlets in the Marvel Universe:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who wouldn't read a magazine called Dropkick Enthusiast?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wizbang posted:

So, a long time ago I saw a series of panels where Reed Richards convinces (demands) Johnny to drink something, then reveals it's water distilled from urine. Does anyone have that lying around?

I don't have the panels but that's from Warren Ellis' too brief run on Ultimate Fantastic Four. He wrote #'s 7-18 if that helps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

First google image search result for "Reed Richards urine"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No, that just says The Fire, The.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes I'm really tempted to be a sarcastic dick to people who are too lazy to do even a cursory Google search and say "Gee, if only we had the world's largest and most sophisticated free search engine at our fingertips... OH WAIT WE loving DO!"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

mind the walrus posted:

Sometimes I'm really tempted to be a sarcastic dick to people who are too lazy to do even a cursory Google search and say "Gee, if only we had the world's largest and most sophisticated free search engine at our fingertips... OH WAIT WE loving DO!"

Also known as Let Me Google That For You.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, what with tailored search results, it might not be on everyone's front page. One guy might get the comic book page as their top result, another might get dozens of hits for their watersports fetish and an unrelated Reed Richards.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Guys, I keep trying to google "Superhero Comics" and all I get are pages and pages of results linking to methadone clinics.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Who wouldn't read a magazine called Dropkick Enthusiast?

Beaten, but I don't care where is my dropkick enthusiast subscription options gimme.

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

"Y...you...oh...okay. I'll...
I'll be here if you change your mind...
we can be space cowboys together later...

Lurdiak posted:

I could swear I tried that :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Elfface posted:

Well, what with tailored search results, it might not be on everyone's front page. One guy might get the comic book page as their top result, another might get dozens of hits for their watersports fetish and an unrelated Reed Richards.

With your avatar I just picture every single result being Iron Jonah regardless of search parameters.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wizbang posted:

In exchange, I offer a bunch of background art from Ms. Marvel #1-5:

Artist Adrian Alphona like weird background details.

Check out the graffiti in the old fridge.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

So, what's going on with her arm...?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heatwizard posted:

Do you not know who Ms. Marvel is?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I confess I am not, in fact, familiar with Ms. Marvel. I recognize the name, but know next to nothing about her abilities and such.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Despite Lurdiak being a dick, she's one of the best new characters of the past little while. She's been around since February of last year, where in her first issue she got sweet morphing powers from terrigen mist. Because she's a teenager who can't quite decide who she's going to become, torn between different identities, she literally changes shape constantly and grows and shrinks depending on how she's feeling at that moment. She also has a healing factor, but she loses the ability to reshape herself when hurt.

Her book has been consistently well written and wonderfully drawn since it started, and you should definitely pick up the first trade.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She's a stretcher.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wasn't being a dick. :(

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Do you not know who Ms. Marvel is?

I don't buy a whole a lot of comics, so I just kind of assumed she was a flying brick like the rest of the characters to use the name.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I wasn't being a dick. :(

You really weren't. Squidster is an rear end in a top hat inferring your intonation of what is textually a completely honest question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Heatwizard posted:

The new Ms. Marvel is a shapeshifter

Ms Marvel #2

She's also delightful

Ms Marvel #6

Ms Marvel #8