Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Bayonetta is a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Finally, a true statement from noirstronaut.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jesus christ I know I'm kind of liveblogging this "new to WiiU" thing but holy poo poo being able to play a game on the touchpad is amazing. Now I can have hockey on the TV and a game going too. I imagine this is a godsend for people with kids to boot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

What's the verdict on Guacamelee?

I like it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Martytoof posted:

Jesus christ I know I'm kind of liveblogging this "new to WiiU" thing but holy poo poo being able to play a game on the touchpad is amazing. Now I can have hockey on the TV and a game going too. I imagine this is a godsend for people with kids to boot.

Yeah. My WiiU screen is my computer monitor, so I spend most of my time just playing things on the gamepad while watching a stream or something.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

I really liked Guacamelee. I think its main mechanic was used reasonably well. The combat feels generally good, I think it works better and has more of a punch to it than the combat in most platformers. It's one of the few games where I've gone for 100%, with all but one achievement.

All that said, the PC version can be modded so you can play as Bayonetta and Samus and Johnny Bravo, and that's really cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bean posted:

Quit reading this, stand up, go directly back to the store, and purchase Captain Toad.

I don't care what time it is. WalMart's open 24 hours, and you really don't even need clothes on to shop there.

After further inspection I should actually be running out to buy this right now.

But I'm trying to be all digital so I wonder if it's available on the eShop.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pretty much every game is yeah

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Every good Wii U game is available on the eShop and then Bayonetta

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

noirstronaut posted:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Captain Toad looks like something I'd rather have on 3ds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Martytoof posted:

After further inspection I should actually be running out to buy this right now.

But I'm trying to be all digital so I wonder if it's available on the eShop.

If you're gonna be all-digital, or at least somewhat-digital then buy an external hard drive, space will run out faster than you'd think and with Wii games coming up on the eShop the future looks pretty good.

Ultimately decided to get a seagate 1TB drive i found for sixty bucks, lamenting that i found 500gb for 50 (no way i'm going to use that much) and a Y-cable, which happened to be the wrong kind because i'm a bad consumer. Proper cable should arrive on monday, so no more worries about hard drive space and I can redownload stuff i had to sacrifice for Metroid Prime Trilogy

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Captain Toad looks like something I'd rather have on 3ds.

Captain Toad is way too gorgeous a game to be consigned to the tiny screens of a 3DS.

Buy Captain Toad

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Every good Wii U game is available on the eShop and then Bayonetta is a great game

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone have a DeviantArt account I can follow to see all of their Bayonetta fanart

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

New thread title, please.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Guacamelee is a great game, but I always kind of felt it was lacking something. I mean I did 100% it, but I just always felt something in it felt a little lacking. I'm not sure what it was. I did kind of get tired of the formula of: walk into new room, get trapped and fight for a minute, leave room, repeat, in some cases. Sometimes I just wanted to explore and platform new areas, and it kept getting halted by fighting a few waves of the same enemies over and over. Then when there were some harder enemies near the end of the game, they were more of an annoying chore than a challenge.

Some of the platforming challenges were nice. I remember the treetop one or whatever it was, to get a piece of the mask.... That was kind of challenging and I enjoyed it, I looked up a speedrun of it just to see how it was done in one quick go, and found a bunch of people complaining about how it was the hardest thing ever in video games and nearly made them break their controller, etc... ahahahah.

But it's a really good game, even if something in it feels unfulfilling to me. I'm also glad that apparently some of the meme references were taken out? It was getting a little annoying. Especially when you are taught some attack that has the word "derp" in it. Ugh.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

Don't believe these haters, if you like Metroidvanias and you like luchadores and you like piledriving skeletons then you will like Guacamelee.

(Disclaimer: I have only played the Gold / Super Turbo Championship editions and I played them on Steam, so I can't comment on how the Wii U version is or plays)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I thought Guacamelee was pretty solid. Worth the money for sure. It's not like a top tier Castlevania kinda game, but for 15 bucks it was definitely good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MaxDuo posted:

But it's a really good game, even if something in it feels unfulfilling to me. I'm also glad that apparently some of the meme references were taken out? It was getting a little annoying. Especially when you are taught some attack that has the word "derp" in it. Ugh.

I vaguely remember this critique. Is it filled with memes like this?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not overwhelmingly meme-y, no, but they're there for sure. If you're allergic to memes you might want to pass on it, but it's not too bad outside of some isolated cases.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got it on PS+ and never finished it, it's ok

The memes I saw were mostly background stuff

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guacamelee is not as good as Super Metroid but better than Metroid Fusion, I trust this will rest as the definitive word on the subject.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Help Im Alive posted:

I heard that these got toned down/removed in a patch?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Regy Rusty posted:

Guacamelee is not as good as Super Metroid but better than Metroid Fusion, I trust this will rest as the definitive word on the subject.

You trust wrongly. Metroid Fusion is absolutely a good game. If you wanted to say Guacamelee is a better metroidvania then maybe, but Fusion is fun as heck.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Guacamelee is insanely good. It's my personal GOTY for 2014. The soundtrack alone is enough to earn that from me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Guacamelee mostly falls down on the level design. The art direction and all is great, but the actual maps are really bland linear corridors (sure you can backtrack later but that doesn't really help) that don't really take advantage of enemy positioning or anything like that outside of a handful of spot. It's a critical element that most metroid-likes aren't really good at and the game's pretty great otherwise so I can't really hold that against it too much, but it definitely explains a lot of the vague subtle dissatisfaction folks seem to have with it.

It's still pretty good and fun, just get it on the PC instead for modding.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think I may get the PC version to play as Juanny Bravo and solely for that reason.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

jivjov posted:

I heard that these got toned down/removed in a patch?

Yeah, they have been a bit. Mostly just the text (ex: "Business Cat" is now "Gato Negocio").

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The best background cameo in Guacamelee is Majora's luchador Mask.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

I vaguely remember this critique. Is it filled with memes like this?

I don't remember any particular memes after playing through it twice, the only thing that comes closest to memes are billboards in the backgrounds of some towns that have characters from other games in luchadore form. And one of the towns has a missing poster with Manny Calavera on it.

Personally I think that if seeing references to the internet is the kind of thing that infuriates you that much then you should probably just go off the grid and become a rail ridin' hobo or something.

Help Im Alive posted:

The only ones I remember seeing of those is Strong Bad and an alternate version of the owl one, so yeah I guess they are only in the original edition and not Gold or STCE.

Still, that's a hilariously loving stupid thing to get worked up over. Can you imagine someone seeing those and then just throwing their controller down and going all "gently caress THIS IM DONE"?

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 22, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Memes are awesome and usually funny. People who don't like them are broken.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Memes are awesome and usually funny. People who don't like them are broken.

I'd buy that for a dollar !!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

raditts posted:

Still, that's a hilariously loving stupid thing to get worked up over. Can you imagine someone seeing those and then just throwing their controller down and going all "gently caress THIS IM DONE"?

Nothing to get angry about, really eye-rollingly stupid though :shrug:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

oddium posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar !!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In my opinion, if they had done the good memes (the ones I know about but most people don't) it would be fine. When other people get it it's not as funny. Just my 2¢

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

:golfclap:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If you're gonna be all-digital, or at least somewhat-digital then buy an external hard drive, space will run out faster than you'd think and with Wii games coming up on the eShop the future looks pretty good.

Ultimately decided to get a seagate 1TB drive i found for sixty bucks, lamenting that i found 500gb for 50 (no way i'm going to use that much) and a Y-cable, which happened to be the wrong kind because i'm a bad consumer. Proper cable should arrive on monday, so no more worries about hard drive space and I can redownload stuff i had to sacrifice for Metroid Prime Trilogy

If it's just a regular USB drive that I can use then I'm good.. I've got five or six external 500s lying around and reapropriating one or two for the Wii should be no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

How Rude posted:

Nothing to get angry about, really eye-rollingly stupid though :shrug:

Ugh, I'm not mad. *rolls eyes*

• Locked thread