Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
Looks like the comic is available on the Steam page now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274170/

Two issues so far, more to come as release gets closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The first two issues are pretty disappointing crap. The most interesting thing is that it makes it more clear that US-Russian relations are vastly different in this world, but I assume that'll just be elaborated in the game if it matters anyway. It just feels pretty unnecessary and boring, and leaves me more frustrated that there isn't any official confirmation that the game is coming out in March.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It does confirm something else that's pretty important.

Something serious went down in San Francisco. Jacket's friend implied it earlier, but it was when he was still in a coma. The fact that the 50 Blessings rioters were calling out slogans related to it means that it was real.

What did you expect though? It was a leadup to the game. It's not going to spoil the whole plot. :v:

Unrelated: Apparently Manuel Pardo was a cop that killed 9 drug dealers in Miami and was later executed.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 17, 2015

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
So, not comics related, but I read somewhere that texting the Hotline Miami number actually has a chance of getting you a response. Is there any truth to this?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

So, not comics related, but I read somewhere that texting the Hotline Miami number actually has a chance of getting you a response. Is there any truth to this?

I actually had a conversation with them via text back when the first game was coming out, but I had no luck when they tweeted the phone number again to announce the March release date.

Also yeah, these comics are... not great. But it's interesting to find out that 50 Blessings is a kinda racist organization, which makes me feel even worse about my pretend-actions in the previous game.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When is this game loving coming out, jesus

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I actually had a conversation with them via text back when the first game was coming out, but I had no luck when they tweeted the phone number again to announce the March release date.

Also yeah, these comics are... not great. But it's interesting to find out that 50 Blessings is a kinda racist organization, which makes me feel even worse about my pretend-actions in the previous game.

I felt it was pretty clear that they were, considering the first game if you do the 'full' ending.

But seriously I don't get what's wrong with the comic. :shrug:

e: Also it means you can definetly not feel bad for finding out Jake gets offed. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 18, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Once you've smashed someone's face into a bloody pile of wet gore, feeling bad about the colour of their skin seems a bit redundant.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hakkesshu posted:

When is this game loving coming out, jesus

You have to murder someone in real life and then you'll get a phonecall with a STEAM key.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a convenient story recap since the first game used some moderately unconventional story telling and I don't remember anything beyond:

The group calls you and tells you to kill Russians and you do and then it was a coma but you come back but actually Biker killed Jacket the Biker ending is the true ending it's all an elaborate in-house political inside job game. Maybe.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a convenient story recap since the first game used some moderately unconventional story telling and I don't remember anything beyond:

The group calls you and tells you to kill Russians and you do and then it was a coma but you come back but actually Biker killed Jacket the Biker ending is the true ending it's all an elaborate in-house political inside job game. Maybe.

:agreed:

That's the gist of it actually, with the only difference being which ending is canon. I think it was Bker's, so you're about right.

VV: Haven't read the comic, sorry bout that.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 18, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Serperoth posted:

I think it was Bker's, so you're about right.
It's not. The comic is treating the final boss fight as canon and that Jacket got arrested for it so that means Jacket killed Biker.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Hah, the comic says that the movie producer you kill in HM1 is named "Wilson Fisker".

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
In Hotline Miami 2 we actually see Jacket go on trial for the events of the first game, so he is very much not dead. The only question is if Biker is alive or not.

poptart_fairy posted:

Once you've smashed someone's face into a bloody pile of wet gore, feeling bad about the colour of their skin seems a bit redundant.

Why am I not surprised that a post like this came from poptart fairy

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I will murder rooms of people via increasingly violent and painful ways at the behest of men I don't know, wearing masks I am unfamiliar with. But what if one of them is racist. :ohdear:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Here's a semi-comprehensive story recap.

After some terrible incident in San Francisco it is April 1989. Jacket has a strange dream/vision/meeting/??? with three masked figures questioning and accusing him of some nebulous terrible deeds.

After waking up (?) Jacket recieves a mask with instructions to retrieve a briefcase from the metro and drop it off at a location, killing a half dozen or so armed Russian mobsters along the way. After dropping it off Jacket kills an assumedly unrelated homeless man and vomits, before moving on.

After running a few more missions given to him via coded voicemail messages, Jacket kills a snuff film maker and rescues his victim. She starts off sleeping on the couch but slowly gets closer to Jacket. As this happens his apartment becomes tidier, and he stops collecting newspaper clippings about his killings.

After finishing another mission Jacket gets a phonecall at the location he's cleared out telling him that there's been a 'change of plans' and he needs to deal with a 'prank caller' at the phone company Phonehom. Wading through all the employee's corpses, Jacket arrives at what is assumedly the CEO's office where he is immediately attacked by a man who is wearing a motorcycle helmet. Jacket defeats the Biker, shattering half his head straight through his helmet. Probably.

After that, Jacket starts getting strange visions. He sees talking corpses at his home and the places he goes to after missions, and the strange guy who works at all of those places is apparently killed and replaced by a bald, abrasive guy.

After another few missions (including a brush with the Miami SWAT team) Jacket returns home to find his girlfriend dead and a man wearing a rat mask sitting on his couch who promptly shoots him with his uzi. Jacket has his final encounter with the last masked person who promises him that "He'll never see the whole picture" and that "Nothing he does now will matter."

After that Jacket wakes up in a hospital, being watched by the police. He escapes, gets his mask and clothes from his home, and assaults the police station. He kills all the officers inside (including the police chief) and finds the rat masked man, who was the same bald abrasive guy from the stores, in jail. After 'encouraging' the rat man to talk, the rat man still says he knows nothing and advises checking the police files. He also pauses to ask Jacket if he's been getting 'those weird phonecalls' too. Jacket then strangles him to death maybe before taking the police files.

After that, Jacket discovers that the phonecalls were traced from a nightclub which had connections to the Russian mob, finally discovering the motive behind the calls; It seems that a mob boss was getting Jacket to take out his rivals via veiled threats. Jacket storms the nightclub and learns the location of the owner's mansion before killing the manager.

afterFinally Jacket kills the mansion's guards and battles the Mafia chief as well as his pet panthers and bodyguard. After the fight, the phone on the chief's desk rings. Answering the phone, Jacket hears the person on the other side complaining about the 'noise down there' and complaining about how much he hates phones. Jacket takes the chief's pistol, goes to the mansion's top floor via an elevator, and finds an old man, apparently the top boss of the Miami Mafia. The man simply states that he's done so many terrible things that nothing really matters anymore, and doesn't resist as Jacket executes him. Jacket then discards his mask, walks onto the balcony and burns what seems to be a photo, before waiting for his arrest.

Credits roll.

Rewind to June. The Biker from Phonehom is in a bar, intimidating a man wearing a pig mask. The Biker complains that "he promised it would be exciting" and that "he was bored". Wanting out, he came to the guy who got him into the whole mess. Reluctantly, the pig mask guy tells him that the only lead he has is a restaurant in Chinatown. As Biker leaves the bar, he sees the same red circle with a stylized 5 running through it that appear at the mission sites.

Clearing out the thugs in the restaurant, Biker interrogates the owner, who helped deal with the technical aspect of the mysterious phonecalls. The owner reveals that the calls were being routed through the phone company Phonehom, as well as the people who hired him apparently had some kind of political agenda, which scared him. Biker surprisingly leaves the owner unharmed and goes home.

Having apparently not been keeping up with his 'work', Biker gets a phonecall to such an effect as well as his newest mission, which he carries out. As he leaves, there's a pamphlet on his table with the red 5 mark which reads "America is a tune. It must be sung together. -50 Blessings."

A few days later, Biker gets a phone message approving his 'return to work' with another mission. He ignores it however, instead electing to go to Phonehom where he passes by the decidely non-dead employees as he goes up to the CEO's office. He kills the CEO and goes through his computer data, apparently finding useful information. Just as he's done, Jacket shows up. Biker warns Jacket to stay back, which the latter ignores as he arms himself with a golf club. Biker, giving one more warning, then easily defeats Jacket, stomping his head into a thin red paste. Possibly.

The following day, Biker gets an overtly threatening phonecall which he promptly ignores as he goes to the same club that Jacket had gone to earlier/later/???. Instead of armed mobsters however, he finds a janitor who resembled the one working at Jacket's apartment block. The janitor promptly flees into a side room. Biker pursues but not before pausing at a computer terminal which had a number of cables running into the sewer coming from it. After failing to/magically figuring out the password, he heads into the sewers for a final confrontation.

In the sewers, there's a large number of cables, computers and stacks of boxes with animal masks and pamphlets inside of them. Biker angrily/smugly confronts the pair of janitors, but fails to learn anything, simply being told that 'it was just a game. You had fun, didn't you?'/calls out the Janitors for their 'line of work.' After proving he knows their password, Biker lays out what he learned: They're members of a violent nationalist organization called 50 Blessings which seeks to topple the 'Russo-America co-operation'. Their phonecalls are used to intimidate their members into working for them, but they admit they're only backed up by empty threats. They also claim that Biker is a 'member of their organization' who knew that when 'he signed up'. Biker is skeptical that they could manage to topple the co-op, but they swear to Biker that they've got powerful allies in a few years something big will happen to 'get America back up on it's feet again'. Biker, not caring about their politics, kills/leaves them in disgust.

Roll credits. (for real this time)

There's a number of unanswered questions, but it remains to be seen what we'll find out (or not) about them. Namely:

What's the deal with the briefcase Jacket retrieved from the metro?
What happened in San Francisco?
Why was Richter sent to kill Jacket?
What is the Russo-American co-operation?
What's the deal with 50 blessings?

Among other things.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Who cares? You had fun with the game, didn't you?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Great Joe posted:

Yes
>No

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MODS!?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wait racism what

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Joe posted:

This line sums up the plot pretty well. Either could be canon or not, whatever.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

russians are white. the white race. the game is about pixel people of the white race killing other pixel people who also belong to the white race. a terrorist organization of pixel whites killing a criminal organization of other pixel whites. NOT racist.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What about the huge black guys you can only kill with a shotgun?

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

maybe its racist that the white pixel russian mobsters only hired really strong black men to carry their shotguns instead of finding some really big buff other whites to carry the shotguns, but theyre the 'bad guys' so who knows what kind of hosed up things they do

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Uh that's clearly reverse racism

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

No such thing.

You can kill them with any gun.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Anatharon posted:

No such thing.

You can kill them with any gun.

"Black people cannot be killed with melee weapons" is my favorite racist misconception

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

"Black people cannot be killed with melee weapons" is my favorite racist misconception

Yeah, you can only melee 'em when they're sitting down.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

"fat people cannot be killed with melee weapons" is my favorite fatist misconception

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, you can only melee 'em when they're making GBS threads down.

:shrek:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Anatharon posted:

Why was Richter sent to kill Jacket?

My take on this is that Jacket became too psychotic for 50 blessings. Just look at the way he kills the van mafia dude, he bashes his head in, breaks his limbs and then sets him on fire. The guy's psyche can't be trusted for much longer.

Their plan to kill him also backfired the best way possible. Instead of getting revenge, he does what's best for the organization without even knowing it.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 21, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I thought it was the other way around, 50 Blessings sent Jacket after Biker because Biker was asking too many questions and Jacket was just a mad attack dog that didn't mind who he was working for as long as he got to kill people.

But yeah, they probably got really scared of Jacket afterwards fearing that they couldn't control him for much longer.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The Janitors' plan to kill Jacket was by sending Richter to shoot him in his apartment, not by sending him after Biker.

That's a pretty good point though, I knew that the assassination happened immediately after the burning alive of the van guy but for some reason I never put two and two together. It seems like a pretty predictable outcome of encouraging people to go on mass murder sprees, did the Janitors just expect to keep replacing their recruits as they went completely bonkers?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Abyssal Squid posted:

The Janitors' plan to kill Jacket was by sending Richter to shoot him in his apartment, not by sending him after Biker.

That's a pretty good point though, I knew that the assassination happened immediately after the burning alive of the van guy but for some reason I never put two and two together. It seems like a pretty predictable outcome of encouraging people to go on mass murder sprees, did the Janitors just expect to keep replacing their recruits as they went completely bonkers?

Well, the comics show that there's a LOT of potential masked killers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

special edition vinyls are still up btw
http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/hotline-miami/products/hlm2

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ledgy posted:

Well, the comics show that there's a LOT of potential masked killers.

There was a fair amount of killers in the first game even excluding Jacket, Richter and Biker. Other than that one guy in Tension and the person wearing Aubrey in Biker's intro, there's dead people wearing Dennis, Earl, Jake, Carl and Jones.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Jacket had saved somebody's life and had a brush with the Miami SWAT team, and quite simply was just better at what he did than every other 50 Blessings pawn. It's not just a coincidence that Jacket finds other dead mask-wearers out in the field - That's almost certainly part of the plan for 50 Blessings, that their pawns fail and are killed before they can get too much heat or worse, start asking questions. Jacket accomplishes the former, Biker the latter.

Mostly I interpret it that way because it makes Jacket's one act of mercy be the first strike leading to his 'termination', and that's cool in a sad sort of way.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Wrong Number when

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Jacket fails to kill Biker and they both survive their encounter makes the most sense. After learning that Biker is still around and Jacket failed, but is not dead himself. They fear he may have caught on or be working with Biker or something. So they send Richter to kill him.

Both Biker and Jacket are rather Crazy. (Jacket more so.) So it's possible through delusion one of them thought the other was dead when they were not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I don't accept any interpretation that involves Jacket failing to kill anyone.

• Locked thread