Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Boing posted:

Is this supposed to be the best book?

There's no universally agreed best book for Abercrombie, really. All of them have their fans and their detractors. BSC probably just isn't for you in the same way as TFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

ZombieLenin posted:

...Scott Lynch is another contemporary "fantasy" author who uses it.

Nah. There is no indication that the elves aren't actually ya know elves in the Gentleman Bastards series.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wait Scott Lynch books are set in a future earth? Where is that revealed?

It's not revealed anywhere. Just hinted at.

Peztopiary posted:

Nah. There is no indication that the elves aren't actually ya know elves in the Gentleman Bastards series.

Maybe you're right. That just to show you though, it's a device used so much that any time I see fantastically advanced buildings/ruins of an unknown origin in a fantasy series, "future earth" is where my mind immediately goes.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 20, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Isn't the 1st Age our current time and the Age of Legends the future?

Maybe. Jordan never stated definitively. However, the portal stones came before the Age of Legends, and so did Wolfbrothers, so maybe not. We could be Age 7. You go a little crazy starting to think about it because then you need to work in dinosaurs and stuff too. I think we are age 6. Age 7 is dinosaurs following an apocalypse. Age 1 is early humans and primitive type magic. Age 2 is Age of Legends, and so on. It's really just speculation though. You also have to consider that the whole 7 age concept is a human and not a divine concept.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fire Safety Doug posted:

There's no universally agreed best book for Abercrombie, really. All of them have their fans and their detractors. BSC probably just isn't for you in the same way as TFL.

Yeah BSC is some people's favourite but not mine for sure.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
The heroes is probably my favourite.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Heroes is obviously superior as a book, but BSC has such satisfying payoffs to everything that it's more fun to read.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Red Country was my least favorite of his so far. BSC wasn't that great on the first read, if only because there's so much going on with so many characters. The second time I read it, I enjoyed it a whole lot more.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just got to that scene with Shivers.

:vince:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It should have been you.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Boing posted:

Is this supposed to be the best book?

The Heroes is absolutely his best book. All the best humor and action scenes with POV characters you love to hate.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Just finished a second readthrough of Half the World. It still holds up. Vastly superior to the first one, and on par with some of his adult works. There are better characters this time around, although I liked seeing the returning ones. Ruthlessly cunning Father Yarvi is much, much better than YA protagonist Yarvi.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 22, 2015

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Suxpool posted:

The Heroes is absolutely his best book. All the best humor and action scenes with POV characters you love to hate.

The Heroes also has Whirrun, who is objectively the best.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

SavTargaryen posted:

The Heroes also has Whirrun, who is objectively the best.

Shoglig was talking poo poo.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
drat, you guys are getting me psyched up. I'm planning a reread of the First Law sometime later this year, and I'll probably reread all of the standalones as well. Abercrombie is drat good.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Half the World, jesus, I can't wait for the next book. :fap:

Really loving the Bayaz vibes from Father Yarvi.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Best book is The Heroes by a lot imo. I enjoyed BSC a lot the first time through but found it weaker on a reread; imo The Heroes holds up even a second time around.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Chamberk posted:

drat, you guys are getting me psyched up. I'm planning a reread of the First Law sometime later this year, and I'll probably reread all of the standalones as well. Abercrombie is drat good.
I picked up on and enjoyed the books so much more the second time around. Like, it loses that visceral "what's going to HAPPEN" thrill but you start admiring the craft much more and appreciate the wonderful turns and foreshadowing so much.

Also BSC is so much better second time around.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't emphasize enough how great the audiobooks as ready by Stephen Pacey are. If you have read the books and not listened to these yet, do it.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I can't emphasize enough how great the audiobooks as ready by Stephen Pacey are. If you have read the books and not listened to these yet, do it.

He does a really good job with BSC, The Heroes & Red Country as well but they are only available in the UK. Michael Page does the US version & while I love him in a lot of other books he just can't match the amazing job Steven Pacey does on these audiobooks.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Was anybody else way into the part in Half the World where Brand lifts the ship?

I had a big smile on my face reading that and the next couple chapters and I don't usually get that emotionally into the things I'm reading.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Timett posted:

Was anybody else way into the part in Half the World where Brand lifts the ship?

I had a big smile on my face reading that and the next couple chapters and I don't usually get that emotionally into the things I'm reading.
It's too bad that by the time he gets back home his accomplishment is kind of forgotten from the legend. Although he's not the type to care all that much.

I'm not a huge fan of Uthil (or Nothing), but I liked near the end when Thorn corrects him that she only killed five men while unarmed to save the empress instead of seven, and he just kind of laughs it off. And he actually seems to respect her as a warrior, which is nice.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clinton1011 posted:

He does a really good job with BSC, The Heroes & Red Country as well but they are only available in the UK. Michael Page does the US version & while I love him in a lot of other books he just can't match the amazing job Steven Pacey does on these audiobooks.

Yeah, I decided I wanted to buy the audiobooks legit, but after listening to a trilogy of Pacey's amazing voice, I broke down and pirated those three. The difference is astounding, and it blows my mind that they're unavailable outside the UK.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah, I decided I wanted to buy the audiobooks legit, but after listening to a trilogy of Pacey's amazing voice, I broke down and pirated those three. The difference is astounding, and it blows my mind that they're unavailable outside the UK.

I was able to buy Pacey's reading of the First Law trilogy from iTunes, but that was years ago.

Fake edit

I do, indeed, live in the United States.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

ZombieLenin posted:

I was able to buy Pacey's reading of the First Law trilogy from iTunes, but that was years ago.

Fake edit

I do, indeed, live in the United States.

They appear to still be on the US iTunes Store, I looked just now.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ross posted:

They appear to still be on the US iTunes Store, I looked just now.

I had already bought the Page versions, so I didn't feel too guilty about pirating the Pacey versions later. One think that I did like better in his BSC reading was Cosca's "A drink, a drink, a drink". His performance of that had this mournful longing that I could identify with.

That being said, I can't imagine anyone but Page reading Lies of Locke Lamora.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Shivers you gently caress! :argh: I get why though. Boy do I understand.

Day you idiot! :argh:

Morveer you...magnificent bastard :allears:

Calling it now: Shenkt is protecting Monza. There's no way she'd still be alive at this point if this fuckin' dude was REALLY after her.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Calling it now: Shenkt is protecting Monza. There's no way she'd still be alive at this point if this fuckin' dude was REALLY after her.

Shenkt has a few secrets that get revealed.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Just finished "Half the World". Loved it. After the rest of Abercrombie's work, it's pretty nice to have things not turn out terrible for everyone.

And it's only half a year (:downsrim:) to the next one!

DiscreteContinuum
Feb 13, 2012
I've been reading the first book (I'm about 3/4 of the way through) and while I'm in love with everything so far, I have to say I can't stand Ferro. It got to the point that I literally put the book down in the middle of one of her sections and I just can't bring myself to read it any more. Does she ever get any more character than just hating and wanting to fight everything? It was fine for a while but if she stays a POV character and stays the same I might have to pass on this series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
She'll get slightly more human.
Still hates everything, though. But there definitely is development.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Half a World is a really fun story, goddamn.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
How's Red Country?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

How's Red Country?

It's pretty much a western set in the TFL world. There's good stuff, but to me the shift from a typical pseudo-medieval fantasy era to a "how the West was won" frontier setting didn't fully work. Some of the genre tropes felt shoehorned in and didn't fit what we've learned from earlier books.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

DiscreteContinuum posted:

I've been reading the first book (I'm about 3/4 of the way through) and while I'm in love with everything so far, I have to say I can't stand Ferro. It got to the point that I literally put the book down in the middle of one of her sections and I just can't bring myself to read it any more. Does she ever get any more character than just hating and wanting to fight everything? It was fine for a while but if she stays a POV character and stays the same I might have to pass on this series.

Yeah this was me too, I never got to the point where I stopped reading out of irritation or skipped over her parts but she's not one of the stronger or more memorable characters for sure.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A bit of an odd request, but anyone have a copy of the ARC for Half the World they'd be willing to part with? US or UK, doesn't matter (though be aware that I can't pay as much for a UK version since I have to factor in shipping).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DiscreteContinuum posted:

Ferro kinda breaks the "This character is an irredeemable fuckhead yet written to be likable" mold set for most of the characters. Fortunately she makes no appearances past the first trilogy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rhymenoserous posted:

Ferro kinda breaks the "This character is an irredeemable fuckhead yet written to be likable" mold set for most of the characters. Fortunately she makes no appearances past the first trilogy.

BSC:
Ishri mentions a woman seeking vengeance just killed her brother, it's totally Ferro

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I did enjoy Ferro's point of view chapters more than, say, Logen, who is pretty boring, and Jezal, who only gets by because interesting stuff happens around him since he starts an idiot and grows into a different kind of idiot.
Abecrombie needs to bring back Glokta is what I'm saying. Or Gorst, his chapters in Heroes were some of the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Almost done with BSC. While I've been incredibly entertained most of the way through, I think I might hold off on any more Abercrombie after this for a while. "Hard" fantasy (adult fantasy? What are we calling this now?) usually isn't my thing, and there's only so much....awfulness that I can take. Still leagues, LEEEEAGUES better than loving GRRM.

I bet if Monza just loving APOLOGIZED to Shivers ONCE that wouldn't have turned out quite the same way.

I'm kind of annoyed, Monza was pretty much the only reason why I picked up the book in the first place and she turned out to be the least interesting character. Seems more like a vehicle to introduce all these other weirdos.