Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My Most Wanted just arrived. :woop:

How close to making a full squad can you get with that set, assuming you have 1-2 extras of the z-95 and HWK-90? I'd love to let a 3rd faction into X-wing and make 3-player games more realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Phrosphor posted:

There were a couple of opponents who wouldn't speak to me except to point out when I did something against the rules or to say what they were doing after I prompted them. I was in the tournament as a sub as several people couldn't make it and I had been convinced to play as it would be fun. Obviously that £20 gift voucher and tie bomber alt art card meant the losers bracket was super serious business that we can't have fun at. I forgot an A-Wing Test Pilot card and nobody would lend me one, so I had to run my list without it, and the other Elite title it gave. The whole thing just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Sure, there's not an excuse for just being an rear end in a top hat. Like susan, I'm also a bit sensitive about the term. I've had players complain because I wouldn't let them undo a barrel roll that didn't take them out of my arc or ignore self bumps that I warned them would happen when they were setting up their ships (they wanted to assume perfect movement and placed their ships touching each other, move 1 and just place the rest back in formation). Lawyering the rules would be trying to re-interpret then to gain an advantage. In a casual game I'm fine with undos but the point of tournament play, even if you're losing, is to practice playing in a more strict environment. I've lost games because I played a red move on a stressed guy, my opponent offered to let me change it, but I insisted he choose because otherwise I'd have the unfair advantage of choosing anything I wanted after knowing his moves.

I can see where it would be frustrating if you're not yet familiar with all the tournament rules, but in that case, they shouldn't have pressure you into it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I was missing a single peg for a small ship, and I contacted FFG about trying to buy a new one. Instead, they sent me 4 small ship pegs and 2 large ship pegs for free :stare:

I had the same issue with Rebel Aces, no pegs and FF sent me four pegs and two bases all the way over to Britain on just my word. Great customer service

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

They'll do that for models too: they'll send you a whole new model. FFG has some issues, but customer service isn't one of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Amazon apparently will dispatch everything for S&V except for the most wanted pack, which someone I missed out on getting even with a pre-order. Cancelled the order and instead got an order from my regular seller anyway. Loadsa people seem to have gotten their stuff from amazon already it appears.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

How many of the cards are Scum-only?

12 upgrade cards out of 19, counting stuff explicitly Scum Only and Illicit/Salvaged Astromech upgrades which are only available to Scum pilots. The two Y-wing Bomb Loadout ugpgrades and BTL-A4 titles can be used with Rebels, and the Andraste title is usable by Imperials.

Moriatti posted:

How close to making a full squad can you get with that set, assuming you have 1-2 extras of the z-95 and HWK-90? I'd love to let a 3rd faction into X-wing and make 3-player games more realistic.

You get one Y and two Zs in the box, with dials for a second Y if you have a Rebel one kicking around (but not extra Z dials, so you can't use your Rebel Zs in S&V for tournaments, boo hiss). Zs run from 12-17, the Y is 18-24 and the HWK is 16-23, all naked, of course. I don't think you'll struggle to get to 100 points with 3-4 Zs, a Y and a HWK once upgrades/EPTs are factored in (assuming you're going to proxy those if needed), but you won't have that many options. A Firespray would be a good buy since it's already a good ship for Imperials and has a whole bunch of nasty options in S&V.

You also only get two pilot cards per for the 12-/13-point Zs so it's not like you can buy MW and end up with a tournament-legal S&V Z-swarm by reusing your Rebel ships

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Andraste title is usable by Imperials.

I have yet to finish X-Wing Alliance but this seems wrong to me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, it's kind of weird that it's not Scum only.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Just had our store championship and the winner ran an A-wing (Jake), Hawk (Kyle), and X-wing (Garvin). It was awesome to watch.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wow thats impressive. What were other people flying?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
He played it pretty defensively, but every game I watched, he managed to table his opponent well before time ran out.
Several two large ships, one Dash+Corran list, Several YT + mini Z swarms, a couple Lambda+defender+interceptor lists, and one guy with 6 A-wings. Surprisingly, there was no quad-B list present.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SpikeMcclane posted:

Just had our store championship and the winner ran an A-wing (Jake), Hawk (Kyle), and X-wing (Garvin). It was awesome to watch.

That's some sweet focus communism going on there.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Talk me out of just buying a ton of Scum and Villainy. Please.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Feeple posted:

Talk me out of just buying a ton of Scum and Villainy. Please.

I would, but that that would only delay the inevitable. You'd be mad because they'll be out of stock when you finally give in.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If I put Expert Handling on a Royal Guard TIE Interceptor, does that mean that it can do a free barrel roll (per the upgrade card) then do a boost afterward? It's cool as long as I don't try to do the same action twice in one turn, right?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Icon Of Sin posted:

If I put Expert Handling on a Royal Guard TIE Interceptor, does that mean that it can do a free barrel roll (per the upgrade card) then do a boost afterward? It's cool as long as I don't try to do the same action twice in one turn, right?

The free action of EH still takes your regular action to activate. That's why the card says, Action: XXXXXXX. You do the EH ACTION, which as part of it lets you do a free barrel roll. If you put Push the Limit on it you can roll and then push the limit to boost, and end up with a stress. EH on an interceptor wouldn't be very useful since they can roll already.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, that's why Expert Handling is a lot worse than it looks. It eats up an action, and the action basically says 'do a barrel roll, lose target locks', which isn't wildly impressive.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thanks. It sounded real good when I thought the barrel roll was free and using the card didn't count as an action.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Carteret posted:

I would, but that that would only delay the inevitable. You'd be mad because they'll be out of stock when you finally give in.

So long, money!

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Over on the FFG forums there was a thread by some dude who got to talk to Alex Davy, on of the lead X-Wing designers, at his local store tournament. He dropped some interesting hints:

Wave 7 is pretty much done and gives focus to bombers and bombs (Skipray Blastboat perhaps?)

They are currently working on Wave 8.

It's extremely unlikely they will ever release card only expansions.

He would like to see the X-Wing get some love in the future.

He also mentioned he thought the HWK would have been fine with 2 attack instead of 1. Interesting how things could have turned out with that ship if the final decision had gone that way.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Halverine posted:

Over on the FFG forums there was a thread by some dude who got to talk to Alex Davy, on of the lead X-Wing designers, at his local store tournament. He dropped some interesting hints:

Wave 7 is pretty much done and gives focus to bombers and bombs (Skipray Blastboat perhaps?)

They are currently working on Wave 8.

It's extremely unlikely they will ever release card only expansions.

He would like to see the X-Wing get some love in the future.

He also mentioned he thought the HWK would have been fine with 2 attack instead of 1. Interesting how things could have turned out with that ship if the final decision had gone that way.

Is it weird that I'd field an HWK a LOT more if it rolled more than a single die?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It would be a lot more viable as an actual ship (as opposed to as a thing that carries a pilot ability) if it had a second attack die.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's why I'm only mildly cautious about S&V being released for my store tourney. It seems like Hawks will still be bad or an inferior decimator/YT. The other notable ships will act as interceptors resulting in mini swarm and 4-ship rebel-like fleets which I'm used to. I've been practicing with fat Han against the newcomers and I think it still has some power left in it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'd have preferred the hawk have 0 atk dice and be priced accordingly. 1 die is so bad.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

PJOmega posted:

I'd have preferred the hawk have 0 atk dice and be priced accordingly. 1 die is so bad.

Something like the Tie Advanced Title that gave the HWK a couple of points discount on a turret weapon might be an interesting fix. The way it is now the hwk might as well have 0 attack die for how often I fire the primary weapon. I still think Kyle, moldy crow, recon, blaster turret is pretty good build.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Might as well downgrade to Roark and get a useful pilot ability.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Is there any reason to get multiple Starviper's other than maybe the upgrade cards? I haven't played a ton of games but I'm getting in the scum and I like the Starviper but I'm not really sure how to put together good lists. I do feel more comfortable with one slowish support ship and a couple of nimble strikers like the Lambda and a couple of Royal Guards.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

zVxTeflon posted:

Might as well downgrade to Roark and get a useful pilot ability.

But then you can't vomit focus all over your other ships.

Your other ships should be Y-wings with Torps, Deadeye and Munition Failsafe.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chance II posted:

Is there any reason to get multiple Starviper's other than maybe the upgrade cards? I haven't played a ton of games but I'm getting in the scum and I like the Starviper but I'm not really sure how to put together good lists. I do feel more comfortable with one slowish support ship and a couple of nimble strikers like the Lambda and a couple of Royal Guards.

Yeah, just get one. There are very few lists (usually double phantom or the classic vader-interceptor/phantom-interceptor/phantom) that require you to have more than one nimble ship. Usually you'd use a large ship anchor or a mini-swarm of some kind to shore up your weakness against opposing swarms.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Is there a website where you can put in which expansions you've bought, and then it tells you what cards you have and whatnot? i ask because i want to do nothing at work but make lists :)

i'm participating in my first store event tomorrow, and i own nothing to make any of the "net lists" so i'll be trying on my own. i've focused on the rebellion, and own rebel aces, hwk-290, b-wing, 2 core sets and a Millenium falcon. i did buy a Tie interceptor and Tie Phantom so i can give my buddies some choices when playing at home, and because they look cool.

any suggestions for a flexible rebel list with what i've got now?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Frobbe posted:

Is there a website where you can put in which expansions you've bought, and then it tells you what cards you have and whatnot? i ask because i want to do nothing at work but make lists :)

Here you go: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Log in with Facebook or whatever, then go to "My Collection" in the top right and enter in your expansions!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Should be getting the Starviper, M3-A and a IG-2000 today :woop:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Endman posted:

Here you go: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Log in with Facebook or whatever, then go to "My Collection" in the top right and enter in your expansions!

This is perfect!

here, have a picture of my collection while we're at it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Man, the prototype blue A-wing looks fantastic. I've got the Rebel Aces expansion coming in the mail.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Only one Interceptor? Pshaw.

(I have six, somehow. :negative:)

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

So I'm looking to get into this whole thing, is it still reccomended that two starter boxes is the way to go?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Greyish Orange posted:

So I'm looking to get into this whole thing, is it still reccomended that two starter boxes is the way to go?

It is helpful but not essential. If you have he budget, go for it. If you are a little tight get one core and a couple of ships. Odds are once the fever sets in you will buy two of everything you can lay your hands on, but that is weeks away. :shepspends:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Greyish Orange posted:

It's a good start. You get two sets of movement templates (not necessary but helpful), enough dice (3 attack/3 defence dice isn't really enough) without needing to buy an extra pack and a good starting core of 4 TIE Fighters/2 X-Wings. I personally managed to make do with only one core for a long time because I never really ran TIE Fighter swarms, however, so your priorities might be different.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Only one Interceptor? Pshaw.

(I have six, somehow. :negative:)

i plan on eventually owning at least one of everything this game has to offer. it's a most terrible affliction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Greyish Orange posted:

It's worth it while they are still in print. The extra dice and templates, plus extra TIE fighters are totally worth the low cost.

• Locked thread