Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Sylverster Mars, Pentarch of Rome.

I say, I think we're all taking this a bit too seriously. Honestly, you people and your voting. Act like the world's going to end when you argue about which way "left" is, let alone the fate of a general.

Frankly, I agree with The Florentine student. Let the man live his life, violence begets violence, let peace reign, do onto others, ect.

...When's the lunch service?

I had my bet on this turning out to be fallen london, with Constantinople in place of London, but now I don't know... :ohdear:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
##Support the Counterfactual Historian

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

##Support the Florentine Student

Waiting for the third civil war ft: zombie crusaders

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

I don't have a vote; I just wanted to say I really like the dark historical specter gifs.

Yeah, this is really cool, though I'm not sure whether they're significant or not. Whatever the case, I'm happy they're there.

---

Spyromilios and his men were important to our victory, but his dreams of megalomania almost ruined us. That said, many still view him as a hero, so punishing him could cause severe discord.
By retiring him, we'll make him a mostly harmless symbol and please everyone in the process. Let's be smart about this.

Let's ##Support the Florentine Student.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 21, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Stephen9001 posted:

... What the gently caress is even going on anymore? what exactly is going to be the payoff of all this... Ghost poo poo or whatever the hell it should be called. Certainly this isn't simply a normal commune, or at least, the person who's eyes we're looking at these people through aren't normal.

I think what's going on here happens mainly because there will be no HOI phase to this LP, so V2 will be the climax. However, V2 does not lend itself to climatic storytelling, since even Great Wars are limited compared to the grand sweeping strokes the HOI series allows. So since the game itself doesn't supply proper material, we're going through some sort of bizarre continuum shift where the entire history we've gone through before starts to concentrate into a smaller timespan, until eventually we hit the breaking point and the big payoff happens.

At least that's how I'd style it. Then again, there's a reason I've never done narrative.

##Support the True Believer

EDIT: Think of it like this - you know how people say your entire life flashes before your eyes just before you die? That's what I think this entire country is going through.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 21, 2015

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
General Spyromilios is a hero and a traitor, a pragmatist and a power-hungry opportunist unlike any seen since the abolition of the Doux. Send him off to pasture, let us see if he truly respects the government's authority. If he accepts then we can write him down as one of the founders of the Commune. Should he attempt to grasp for power once more he's another pretender to the people's mandate, another...Kaisarios.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
WWII will actually be humanity vs. the Risen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

I didn't realize Victoria 2 was a psychological horror game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Supriya Verma, representative of the Marathi Communist Party to the First International

##Support the Florentine Student. A true tyrant would never hand over the reigns of power so willingly, but his brief takeover is still a politically inexpedient precedent to set. Let him be shuffled away to his villa somewhere out of the public eye, where he can live his days in quiet peace and be forgotten about. Soon enough people will forget his little power-grab ever happened.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
##Support the Florentine Student, with the caveat that he is by *law* unable to hold any publicly elected office.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sindai posted:

I didn't realize Victoria 2 was a psychological horror game.

You've clearly never played as Sokoto.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

ThaumPenguin posted:

You've clearly never played as Sokoto.Johore.

Fixed.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ThaumPenguin posted:

You've clearly never played as Sokoto Johore China with Planned Economy

Edited for clarity

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
The eyes of history are on us, indeed...Though is it the way we'd wish?

For those looking forward, we must be seen as heroes to the people, not monsters red with blood -- the world is watching us, as much as history is.
For those looking to the past, we must remember not just the faults of Caeser, but his virtues; in victory, there is room and glory for magnanimity. If we offer those who might stand against us a peaceful way out, they might accept that they don't need to take a final, bloody one.

In the interest of the past, in the interest of the future; in the interest of "Spyromilios the man," as the young lady might put it, and in the interest of Spyromilios the icon -- and, come to that, in the interest of the Byzantine Commune, the state, and in the interest of The Byzantine Commune, the vision of a people's -- a worker's -- safe haven in the world...

Just remember... He only gets one.

Glad you liked the specter of Branas, Rincewind. I suppose I'm glad I never thought up a real vote.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

China with Planned Economy

Oh God

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

While Spyromilios may have acted out of line, he did what he thought was best for the Revolution, not merely what best fulfilled his ambition.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

##Support the Traitor to Her Class

His destiny was chosen for him. Another acted through his skin. He cannot be held responsible in any way for machinations beyond his will or knowing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
##Support the traitor to her class

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The worst thing that could possibly happen to you in a Paradox game. Death would be a blessing.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
old: Support the Counterfactual Historian
Regarding this choice, let us have at least some form of self-awareness. The true believer road leads to blood and tears.

Just caught up with this thread. The specters made me nostalgic for the Empire, Iouliana was awesome. :unsmith:

edit: I'm flip-flopping

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 22, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Who among us hasn't noticed the taint of blood on every breeze blowing across the Bosphorus? We prattle on about freedoms and liberties, but they are not what drive this Commune. Nor are these ideals what drove our ancestors when they disassembled the very foundations of the earth. We Greeks hunger for something much more real, something whose physicality dominates every aspect of day-to-day life. Above all else, we of the Commune are possessed by the libido dominandi, the urge for domination.

Though some may deny it and others might disguise their desire in the language of revolution, it would be foolish for the many of us to pretend that we do not understand Spyromilios's motivations. He wants control and will not be denied his inheritance by the likes of us.

The Florentine Student's offer of fame is not enough to sate the man's desires. Similarly, we cannot allow the Counterfactual Historian to turn our focus inward, as doing so would destroy our prospects of bringing revolution abroad. No, only the ##True Believer understands the compromises that must be made to allow our ascendency over the other kingdoms of man. Only the True Believer realizes that Spyromilios himself is a vehicle for us to oppress the masses and bring about a new era of Greek domination.

Unfurl the flags and let the military man march us to victory.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 22, 2015

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Memento Mori

Why do the specters of the dead alarm you so?
You should no be surprised. This is a place of the dead.
We walk in their shadows and under their gaze. Always in this place:
A thing built of bone. Lashed with flesh. Erected on a bed of ash.
It is no place for the living, except to be fed into the furnace.
To build anew on the grave of the old.
This is Empire, Land of the Dead.

Alienis et aeones, mortem moriatur.

Let us bring this comedy into it's final act.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
##Support the True Believer

We need to encourage men of righteous violence, not neuter them.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

In 1967, famed sports historian Georgios Papadopoulos ran a radio show called "Goofy Games", where he detailed oddities from the past century of sports. On his first episode he covered the 1879 game between Anton Thordan's Constantinople Varangians and the Nicaea Fireballs. Papadopoulos pointed out how this was the last record case of someone using "Greek Fire", an incendiary weapon used greatly in the medieval era by the Byzantines but since abandoned in favor of gunpowder. The owner of the Fireballs had rediscovered the formula and promised a surprise for every fan who came to the game. During the seventh inning stretch Greek fire was shot into the air, awing the crowd until it began to fall on them. The game was called early with the Varangains winning 2-0 and everyone agreed to destroy the recipe for good.

I-is anyone seeing this? Is this a dream or is Loki playing his tricks agai-a vote! Yes good, a vote on things; things that are real. This soldier made mistakes but I've known plenty of soldiers who made mistakes. They leave the neighborhood as kids and they come back as weary, broken men. It doesn't mean that the kid isn't in there any more, that the soul is gone. You just have to bring them back to who they were as children. Every Varangian ho comes back to the old neighborhood plays for the Varangians because they WANT to get better. Let's give Spyromilios a chance to play ball. I ##Support the Florentine Student

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

##Support the Florentine Student. There's no way this will kick off the New Byzantine Fascist movement, no sir!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
##Support the traitor to her class

We're already neck deep in blood, a little more or less will make no difference.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Kara Hira, Byzantine Red Guard and Activist for National Mental Safety Regulations

I'm starting to wonder if we should... we should take a short vacation. Something to clear our minds from... unease.

I'll throw my ##Support to the Florentine Student, just to get this over with.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

I suspect we are infact choosing how this world will end. Nuclear holocaust? Asteroid? Catastrophic climate change? At the end the specter of Iouliana Komnene will write one last chapter.In the short term history is written by the winners. But the losers leave behind radioactive craters that will far outlive the best bound books.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Was going to ##Support the Slayer of Emperors but missed that vote, so I guess I can do the next best thing and ##Support the Counterfactual Historian instead.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 22, 2015

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

##support traitor to her class

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

What year were we in at the end of the last in-game update? Would be nice to know how far we're into the game.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It's 1884.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rincewind posted:

It's 1884.

Thanks!

So 51 more years to go, that's more time than I thought, so much has already happened since we started Vic2.

Good job keeping things interesting!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I have no idea what's going on anymore, but I can't wait for what's coming next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Lynneth posted:

I have no idea what's going on anymore, but I can't wait for what's coming next.

Probably something terrible, Rincewind knows what we're likely to pick and are playing us like puppets.

Communist puppets.

• Locked thread