Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's the difference between growing up and growing old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Whelp, finally finished the Duel Carnival Arc. Now onto the actually decent parts of Zexal. :toot:

I gotta say, quality of the original work aside, I'm liking this dub over the 5Ds one. But other than Black Mist, a filler episode starring Dan Green, and a brief cameo of one of the best yugioh villains, there wasn't anything particularly noteworthy that happened in the show itself. I did get to hear Yami with a southern accent and a minor villain that sounded like if Tracey from Pokemon was evil, so it wasn't a complete loss. Looking forward to how a certain character - the aforementioned villain - is voiced.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Episode 172, you might want to know what's going on at the start, but trust me, it works even better when you have no idea why stuff is happening.

Trip report: :wtc: Let me just make sure I have this right. Jaden escapes from an exploding Kaiba Corp building using children's card game, then hallucinates a battle against an enemy called Mr. T, while Hassleberry is actually fighting Mr. T who is mind controlling some student friend, and Mr. T is looking for darkness in his victim's hearts, but can't get to Hassleberry because of Dino DNA so they duel, and later figures out a loophole to the darkness by looking at Hassleberry's previous life as a Tyrannosaurus Rex and finding out that the Dino DNA bone in his leg is from a dinosaur that said T-Rex had eaten.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Trip report: :wtc: Let me just make sure I have this right. Jaden escapes from an exploding Kaiba Corp building using children's card game, then hallucinates a battle against an enemy called Mr. T, while Hassleberry is actually fighting Mr. T who is mind controlling some student friend, and Mr. T is looking for darkness in his victim's hearts, but can't get to Hassleberry because of Dino DNA so they duel, and later figures out a loophole to the darkness by looking at Hassleberry's previous life as a Tyrannosaurus Rex and finding out that the Dino DNA bone in his leg is from a dinosaur that said T-Rex had eaten.

I just love the bad guy's little quip at the end. "You literally deserve this."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

AnacondaHL posted:

Yup, that's pretty much the gist of it. But don't forget all the irresponsible vehicular mayhem Jaden committed at the start and end of the episode by driving his motorcycle while he hallucinated thanks to a trading card and then stealing a boat with his best buddy. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Jaden actually lightens up over the course of season 4. One of the more hilarious episodes was when he was in a team duel with Alexis and playing to win, to the point of ignoring Alexis' attempts at assisting him. She eventually blows up on him about it, to which he has the approximate response of "oh huh, you're right. Should probably chill out". And then he does that, but at that point Alexis just stalks off and switches teams... only to switch back later when she sees that Jaden has in fact chilled out.

Remember kids, communication is the key to any relationship.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

BlitzBlast posted:

Jaden actually lightens up over the course of season 4. One of the more hilarious episodes was when he was in a team duel with Alexis and playing to win, to the point of ignoring Alexis' attempts at assisting him. She eventually blows up on him about it, to which he has the approximate response of "oh huh, you're right. Should probably chill out". And then he does that, but at that point Alexis just stalks off and switches teams... only to switch back later when she sees that Jaden has in fact chilled out.

Remember kids, communication is the key to any relationship.

To be fair, she's terrible and her deck is crummy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

And she got mad that he learned to have fun while dueling with Blair (i think that's her name?). And then Jaden proceeded to forget the lesson he learned in fun.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah Blair offered to switch with her if she didn't like playing with Jaden so much, and since Jaden had at that point realized he should chill out when he isn't playing a life-or-death duel he cooperates with her, pissing off Alexis even more. Meanwhile the audience didn't care because

Rudoku posted:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also because Asuka having a crush on Judai came... pretty much out of nowhere?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's so dreamy, just look at his kuriboh hair.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm actually rewatching the episode now and it is amazing how up her own rear end Alexis is.

"I can't believe he didn't want to use my strategy (that would summon one extra monster with no particularly useful effect) and instead did something actually smart (summoned Bladedge, then had it attack twice in order to abuse its piercing effect against Scapegoat tokens)! How could he! He's not thinking of my feelings at all!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Beef Waifu posted:

He's so dreamy, just look at his kuriboh hair.

I mean it's hinted at a few times like early on, the first darkness duel, the duel in the Society of Light and those are the only moments off the top of my head that haven't just been "Friends!"

Which is really weird looking at Aki, Anzu and Yuzu who are all very obvious about their feelings

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

5D's, ep 61, the dubbing at the end of this Dark Signers arc is like the thing dubbing nightmares are made of.

"Ahh, ahhh ahh! The darkness! *is this seriously my line?* The-Darkness-inside-me-is-too-powerful!"
"You have to fight the *stifling laughter* dark-ness-in-side-of-you!"
"I might be down, but due to-the-ef-fect-of-my-trap-card *planning on which alcohol to drown self in after work* I'm am definitely not out!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Onmi posted:

I mean it's hinted at a few times like early on, the first darkness duel, the duel in the Society of Light and those are the only moments off the top of my head that haven't just been "Friends!"

Which is really weird looking at Aki, Anzu and Yuzu who are all very obvious about their feelings

What about Tori? She's pretty much the Tea of ZEXAL.

Alexis clearly always had a thing for Jaden in my view but Jaden has only two loves:
1. Dueling
2. The hermaphrodite spirit in his head (Man that whole reincarnation thing was the worst part about GX Season 3. It was just a dumb bit of plot development as opposed to funny dumb.)

Anyway my point is just that Tea and Yugi were always a thing that was gonna happen while Jaden/Alexis wasn't ever gonna happen. Probably why it wasn't as in your face.

Rudoku posted:

I liked her Society of Light deck.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
We're 29 pages in and there still hasn't been any mention of this S.O.B.

I'm surprised.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

If I'm remembering right, Alexis having a crush on Jaden was something added by the dub at first.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Slur posted:

We're 29 pages in and there still hasn't been any mention of this S.O.B.

I'm surprised.

Vector is the best.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

What about Tori? She's pretty much the Tea of ZEXAL.

Nobody gives a poo poo about Zexal.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dexie posted:

Vector is the best.

the armor reacting to his antics was the best. Vector was truly the shining star of the show.

My favorite line from him has to be his justification to loving with Shark "I just hated ever ounce of you, all of you, how you were so smug being our boss, but I couldn't simply kill you for nothing, so! i made a system! every time you did something that annoyed me i'd give you a point, and you racked up points so quickly! whenever you spoke you annoyed me, whenever you walked, breathed, were in a room and quickly you annoyed me a million times so you won the game! and i got to kill you!" or something like that.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 22, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is probably old as poo poo but hey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xPs0pM-Pq4

Apparently a full 26 episodes or so of Zexal were dubbed by Bang-Zoom while the lawsuit between ADK and 4Kids was happening. Basically every voice in the Bang-Zoom dub with the exception of Astral and Shark are better than the 4Kids ones and I am really sad that we did not get a Zexal with JYB as Yuma, because it is significantly better than whoever the gently caress is his voice in 4Kids.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

This is probably old as poo poo but hey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xPs0pM-Pq4

Apparently a full 26 episodes or so of Zexal were dubbed by Bang-Zoom while the lawsuit between ADK and 4Kids was happening. Basically every voice in the Bang-Zoom dub with the exception of Astral and Shark are better than the 4Kids ones and I am really sad that we did not get a Zexal with JYB as Yuma, because it is significantly better than whoever the gently caress is his voice in 4Kids.

Can't see the video ATM, but which episodes are these?

Also, I didn't watch much of Season 3 of GX, but I liked Yubel's duels with Amon, Judai (as Johan), and Judai again as herself. :v

Though I watched the sub of GX, so I never got the silliness of the dub. I had a hate for 4Kids after what their CEO said about the reason they like they did is because American kids were too stupid to understand plot and poo poo. :v:

The voices and names were OK though. Syrus is an infinitely better name than Sho. Judai's dub voice fit too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's mostly just a few clips of a few episodes and then Kristi Reed talks about how the whole thing went down and they basically had to hide the episodes never to be seen again.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This Season 2 (Season 3 japan) of 5D's is starting off amazing. First the introduction of the French girl making Akiza more jelly than a Welch's grape factory, then watching her steady anime inability to handle feelings for main characterdescent into madness via addiction to ~speed~

Dumpy "eww girls!" dudes: Shouldn't you be at home playing with dolls? It takes a real man to handle the turbo runner :smug:
Akiza: So when are these real men supposed to show up?
:boom::iceburn::boom:

fake edit: is Yusei seriously teaching her how to rollerblade now? :roflolmao:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So the Zexal manga basically pulled a Joey vs Valon in having the duelist (Yuma) become a monster. Which I guess would also count as a fourth Zexal form.

Everything I've read about the manga makes it look like a horrible, stupid mess, even moreso than the anime (which, while bad, was focused at least), but I must admit that is sort of cool.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Just dropping in to say gogenzaka's duel with ankokuji owned, sawatari vs yuya owned, and shun vs sora did not own but I like raid raptors and carpet bombing children in a card game so it was still good. Go watch arc v it owns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Just dropping in to say gogenzaka's duel with ankokuji owned, sawatari vs yuya owned, and shun vs sora did not own but I like raid raptors and carpet bombing children in a card game so it was still good. Go watch arc v it owns.

But Shun vs Sora had crazy faces. So that was pretty rad. And Masumi vs Yuzu also owned. The first round of the tournament is fantastic and probably Arc V's best point so far, epsicially if you include the episodes immediately following round 1.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But Shun vs Sora had crazy faces. So that was pretty rad. And Masumi vs Yuzu also owned. The first round of the tournament is fantastic and probably Arc V's best point so far, epsicially if you include the episodes immediately following round 1.

Crazyfaces are the best part of Yu-gi-oh as a show by far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yuma please stop defending Flip. Yuma he cheated. He stole other duelists heart pieces. He's not even likeable. Let them kick him out of the city.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yuma please stop defending Flip. Yuma he cheated. He stole other duelists heart pieces. He's not even likeable. Let them kick him out of the city.

Man, you'd hate his Japanese counterpart. He sounds like the dub version of Weevil and has a loving awful verbal tic.

Since you're close to it, I'd recommend you skip episode 39. It's pretty much the worst episode in the entire Yugioh franchise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wel now I'm just gonna watch it with even more focus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Man, you'd hate his Japanese counterpart. He sounds like the dub version of Weevil and has a loving awful verbal tic.

Since you're close to it, I'd recommend you skip episode 39. It's pretty much the worst episode in the entire Yugioh franchise.

Nah, the Tomato Episode was worse.

ZEXAL really feels like GX in a lot of ways but it just can't get it right I did enjoy the Soccer Duel Episode though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is this dog talking? This is the best episode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^That's what I thought at the start, then it just didn't deliver on that premise enough :(

NikkolasKing posted:

Nah, the Tomato Episode was worse.

ZEXAL really feels like GX in a lot of ways but it just can't get it right I did enjoy the Soccer Duel Episode though.

The Tomato episode is a blessing. The sub file for that episode work with any episode in the yugioh franchise:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh my god...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So what i'm getting from this is that i should watch Zexal. Super Saiyan's talking Dog's and Tomatoes. Sounds like a good time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

^That's what I thought at the start, then it just didn't deliver on that premise enough :(

The Tomato episode is a blessing. The sub file for that episode work with any episode in the yugioh franchise:

now put the sub files for that episode over selector infected wixoss

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This almost makes watching ZeXal worth it (not really)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I love how the dog episode was literally only there to give the cat girl her first duel in thirty episodes, and then they had her lose, apparently just to show the girls in Zexal can't even beat filler duelists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

...I'm pretty sure she was dueling another girl...

Also women have always been useless in Yugioh.