Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

The Droid Turbo soak test ended up being a 35mb volte bug fix, lmao.

Took them nearly a month to release it after starting the soak, the soak testers are basically having a meltdown on the Motorola owners forum because it isn't lollipop.

Oh that's tragic hahah, especially after the Moto Maxx soak turned out actually to be Lollipop.

It could only turn out to be funnier if 5.1/5.2 implements generic wifi calling and volte.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a thread to get advice on working with Eclipse? My computer isn't recognizing a tablet and I can't find the drivers.

Not on here (there's an Android dev thread in Cavern of Cobol but not much happens in there) - this is the official 'support':
http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

If you're on Windows try the USB driver link and see if you can track something down from there - if all else fails try the Google USB driver from the SDK. You might want to try removing all traces of whatever driver you have installed, and make sure your tablet is booted up to the homescreen before you plug it in. There's a different driver or something that gets installed for fastboot, which is separate from the ADB driver, and if you plug it in early you might get the fastboot driver instead.

It's not really an Eclipse thing, although one way to check is to go to the platform tools folder in the SDK., open a command line window there, and type adb devices (make sure you have USB Debugging enabled). If it sees your device it'll print an identifier code. (If your tablet is in fastboot mode it won't show up under adb, but it would if you typed fastboot devices). See if you can see it with the adb tool but not in Eclipse

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Please don't use Eclipse; for your health.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The Lite version also has the old, super confusing UI but in this case we can see if it works before you put down money.

Honestly if Light Flow can activate the LED at all with a test notification it's almost certain it can replace the notification framework and do what you'd like. Samsungs at least at some point had incorrect color values for their LED so you might have to gently caress around with colors to get them the way you want (like you put orange and it lights up purple). There's a FAQ about it on the developer's site.

Of course if Light Flow can't trigger the LED at all then there's probably nothing you can do without root.

The test didn't work. Have to wait for Samsung to fix it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

The Droid Turbo soak test ended up being a 35mb volte bug fix, lmao.

Took them nearly a month to release it after starting the soak, the soak testers are basically having a meltdown on the Motorola owners forum because it isn't lollipop.

Funny since everything leading into the soak test made me rightfully suspect it was another volte thing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Does the MAXX really have Lollipop already? drat.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Don't gently caress up my turbo with lollipop please. Its really great right now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kensei posted:

Does the MAXX really have Lollipop already? drat.

The Droid Maxx or the Moto Maxx? My Droid does not have it yet.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lblitzer posted:

The Droid Maxx or the Moto Maxx? My Droid does not have it yet.

Not sure, I saw this:

ruby idiot railed posted:

Oh that's tragic hahah, especially after the Moto Maxx soak turned out actually to be Lollipop.

It could only turn out to be funnier if 5.1/5.2 implements generic wifi calling and volte.

So probably not. Did you sign up on the Motorola forums to be in the soak tests?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Yeah, the amounts of 'MOTOROLA OWES US LOLLIPOP' and threats of lawsuits over it are hilarious. Idiots.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ninmeister posted:

Yeah, the amounts of 'MOTOROLA OWES US LOLLIPOP' and threats of lawsuits over it are hilarious. Idiots.

Ironically this update seems pretty great, anyway. Idle battery drain/lag has been greatly improved post update. My turbo has 14hrs 30 mins on time and I'm sitting at 77% battery. 45 mins SOT

:getin:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They don't know pain. The shitstorm that was the US Galaxy S variants saw them not being updated with Froyo until drat near the release date of Gingerbread.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

this_is_hard posted:

My turbo has 14hrs 30 mins on time and I'm sitting at 77% battery. 45 mins SOT

gently caress you. Sincerely, all Nexus owners

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

gently caress you. Sincerely, all Nexus owners
Eh, I never feel like my N5 doesn't have enough battery life although I guess it's fair to say it could always use more.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

Ironically this update seems pretty great, anyway. Idle battery drain/lag has been greatly improved post update. My turbo has 14hrs 30 mins on time and I'm sitting at 77% battery. 45 mins SOT

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that people who get all-day battery life barely use their phones.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

GWBBQ posted:

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that people who get all-day battery life barely use their phones.

I got 4 hours SOT yesterday and got 18 hours out of my turbo. Suck it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I don't have a turbo, I have a Galaxy S4 with a GPE rom and after a normal day for me is 50+mins running playing music and using Nike Running or Endomondo, then checking whatsapp every 10 mins (I have a coworker group), go to the gym and listen to some music again. From 6:00 when I wake up, to around 17:30 when I arrive home my battery rarely hits 40-45%. Using dark themes and that stuff and a SAMOLED screen may help with that but my phone doesn't have a huge battery (2600mAh). If I remove the running and music part, I can easily wait to charge my phone the next day while working.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I get around 14 hours/3 hours with my Nexus 6. But I haven't done a "test" day in a while, I'm always charging throughout the day when it's convenient, because why not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where did the trend come from where people don't understand the battery life graph on their phone, and mistake it for useful information? Software updates can't just magically make your battery more powerful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I said come in! posted:

Where did the trend come from where people don't understand the battery life graph on their phone, and mistake it for useful information? Software updates can't just magically make your battery more powerful.

I don't anyone thinks such a thing. However, software updates can improve idle drain and other related battery uses, thus improving battery life (not power).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But kicking touchwiz out from your device surely can :mrgw:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hooah posted:

I don't anyone thinks such a thing. However, software updates can improve idle drain and other related battery uses, thus improving battery life (not power).

Maybe a couple minutes at most though. Not an entire extra day like the click-bait heavy Android fansites will claim while receiving free phones from manufacturers.

Guillermus posted:

But kicking touchwiz out from your device surely can :mrgw:

Not having touchwiz will also improve your mental health cause you're no longer driven mad by bad software.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 22, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I said come in! posted:

Maybe a couple minutes at most though. Not an entire extra day like the click-bait heavy Android fansites will claim while receiving free phones from manufacturers.

It depends on what it's doing, things like using network and phone radios can drain a fair chunk of power, so there's a big difference between a phone that's using them efficiently (including when you have bad signal) and scheduling bulk data transfer, and a phone that's constantly revving the radios. Phones are meant to be in a sleeping state when they're idle too, which keeps the drain low, but if apps are constantly waking the device (or keeping it from sleeping) it'll be using a lot more power during the day - so good software will prevent this kind of thing too.

The main source of power drain is still going to be driving the display, but there are other efficiency gains that can help, especially over the course of an entire day. As usual it depends on your use. Someone who goes on weekend hikes and wants to be able to snap some pics and videos might see big improvements in battery life and usability if the phone is behaving itself better when it's idle. Someone spending hours playing games on the toilet, probably not so much!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I listen to music via my phone on a Bluetooth speaker for 5-6 hours a day. Screen on time is usually around 2 hours, and I use cell radio to stream the majority of my music. At the end of the night I have 30-45% battery. So yeah, Galaxy S5 is great, except for Touchwiz.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I just like being able to hear the initial "hello" at the start of a phone call now with Advanced Calling turned on. That poo poo got annoying.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

I usually use my phone a lot more, tbqh. That was from charging before bed, so a good bit of that was me sleeping.

My point though is this update seems to have improved idle drain. Before I was losing like 3-5% per hour overnight.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

I said come in! posted:

5.0.2 has absolutely destroyed the battery in my Nexus 7, for what it's worth

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Z3C can be found used for less than $400 now

new or used?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Grimson posted:

new or used?

Read that again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I did a hard reset of my phone with the Lollipop upgrade so that might have contributed some but with my G3 I was charging at least twice a day, if I wanted the phone to last through a Friday night at a bar I had to charge it in the middle of the day.

Post upgrade, honestly, an extra day isn't that off, I forgot to charge it the other day and it still had over 40% the next morning.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My roommate just upgraded to an S5 and wow Touchwiz is hot garbage and why do we have to consider rooting and flashing custom ROMs on day 1 in the year of our lord 2015.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Read that again.

ah, yes

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

I usually use my phone a lot more, tbqh. That was from charging before bed, so a good bit of that was me sleeping.

My point though is this update seems to have improved idle drain. Before I was losing like 3-5% per hour overnight.
Oh, that's definitely an improvement then. I assumed you meant regular use and was comparing it to my average day where between the train ride and playing Ingress on the walk to work I'm typically at an hour screen on time by the time I get to work in the morning.

Eej posted:

My roommate just upgraded to an S5 and wow Touchwiz is hot garbage and why do we have to consider rooting and flashing custom ROMs on day 1 in the year of our lord 2015.
Because people do zero research and don't even hold a demo unit and try using it before buying one?

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 23, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wasn't aware it was kosher to start downloading apps and signing into your Google account to do actual phone stuff on demo units.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Eej posted:

Because they were dumb enough to buy a Samsung in TYOOL 2015.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eej posted:

I wasn't aware it was kosher to start downloading apps and signing into your Google account to do actual phone stuff on demo units.

I wasn't aware touchwhiz required any of that in order to identified as garbage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Carrier salesperson: "As you can see, the UI is neon green Comic Sans on purple--"

Customer: "I'LL TAKE IT!"

Honestly if previous experience with a Samsung wasn't enough to clue you in, you probably weren't going to be dissuaded by every other obvious red flag that all Samsungs exhibit.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Eej posted:

Non-idiots can bypass most of the Touchwiz flavor with apps...

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

My LG Optimus is still on Jellybean and I have no idea if or when it'll ever get updated, but I certainly wouldn't threaten to sue over it.

Speaking of battery life, does anyone have a 2012 Nexus 7 who can tell me how to improve its battery life? It's updated to Lollipop, and now it's stuttery, slow, and can barely last a day with full battery. I've cleared the cache several times and it doesn't seem to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vyst posted:

Non-idiots can bypass most of the Touchwiz flavor with apps...

Maybe you could post a guide so us idiots can figure it out?

Not that I've ever had a non-Nexus Samsung phone, but pretty much every time someone posts this it gets refuted. I'd love to see how many hoops you have to jump through, though.