Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Appachai posted:

What up utsw buddy

Hey there, eat a Frito Pie at Mike Anderson's for me. What lab/department are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I graduated in 2009, I was in the rizo lab in the biochem department.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Appachai posted:

I graduated in 2009, I was in the rizo lab in the biochem department.

Neat, graduated in 2013 from biochemistry, but I was in the chemistry tract. Goons everywhere.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My fiancee is finishing up her PhD right now and is currently unable to find work near where we leave, so unless things change in the next couple of months it looks like we'll be moving and as such I'll have to leave my current job. Which, honestly, I was planning on doing even if we stayed in the area so long as we moved to a location where I had more than one or two companies to choose from (read: anywhere but where we live). I'm currently a Quality Analyst at a food chemical manufacturer, and while I like food chemistry and would stick with it, there's very little chemistry used in my position (or anywhere in the company, really). This bums me out because I have an MS in Chemistry, so the work isn't challenging at all and sometimes I'm just straight-up bored, or willingly doing other people's work just so I can experience new things and maybe learn something useful to put on my next resume; I've even volunteered to be on multiple company-wide improvement projects and am slowly drafting an idea for a process analytics position in our production plant, it's just that the day-to-day is so mindless that it outweighs the bits and pieces of interesting things I get to do outside of my job description.

However, I'm not really sure what to look for, as my current job is the first one I've had since grad school and I've never had to make a job/career switch. I've done a few broad searches on Linkedin for the areas we might be moving to, and a lot of what's turning up are just more positions in Quality. Maybe chemistry-focused QC/QA at other companies isn't as mindless as it is at my current company, but I feel that an MS gives me a better chance at a Scientist or more R&D-based position and makes me over-qualified for analyst work unless I'd be a supervisor or something (there have been two other MS holders in my department, one who left for a better pharma job as soon as her connections there came through, and one who would probably leave if he could). Also by the time I leave I'll have at least 1.5 years experience and at least one sterling recommendation from within my company, surely enough to keep me out of entry-level QC positions right? Is QC/QA/safety work not as bad as I'm making it out to be, or should I resign myself to my fate?

Sorry if that's rambling too much, there's an underlying problem of "I don't know/care about my career path" in this that's my own cross to un-gently caress, but I do at least know that I am better than my current position and don't want to be stuck on that path for long. I would be more inclined to stay if I could get into one of our product development labs, I just don't think that will happen before we have to make a decision on moving. Have any of you had a similar start to your career? How'd you break out or change tracks?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

My fiancee is finishing up her PhD right now and is currently unable to find work near where we leave, so unless things change in the next couple of months it looks like we'll be moving and as such I'll have to leave my current job. Which, honestly, I was planning on doing even if we stayed in the area so long as we moved to a location where I had more than one or two companies to choose from (read: anywhere but where we live). I'm currently a Quality Analyst at a food chemical manufacturer, and while I like food chemistry and would stick with it, there's very little chemistry used in my position (or anywhere in the company, really). This bums me out because I have an MS in Chemistry, so the work isn't challenging at all and sometimes I'm just straight-up bored, or willingly doing other people's work just so I can experience new things and maybe learn something useful to put on my next resume; I've even volunteered to be on multiple company-wide improvement projects and am slowly drafting an idea for a process analytics position in our production plant, it's just that the day-to-day is so mindless that it outweighs the bits and pieces of interesting things I get to do outside of my job description.

However, I'm not really sure what to look for, as my current job is the first one I've had since grad school and I've never had to make a job/career switch. I've done a few broad searches on Linkedin for the areas we might be moving to, and a lot of what's turning up are just more positions in Quality. Maybe chemistry-focused QC/QA at other companies isn't as mindless as it is at my current company, but I feel that an MS gives me a better chance at a Scientist or more R&D-based position and makes me over-qualified for analyst work unless I'd be a supervisor or something (there have been two other MS holders in my department, one who left for a better pharma job as soon as her connections there came through, and one who would probably leave if he could). Also by the time I leave I'll have at least 1.5 years experience and at least one sterling recommendation from within my company, surely enough to keep me out of entry-level QC positions right? Is QC/QA/safety work not as bad as I'm making it out to be, or should I resign myself to my fate?

Sorry if that's rambling too much, there's an underlying problem of "I don't know/care about my career path" in this that's my own cross to un-gently caress, but I do at least know that I am better than my current position and don't want to be stuck on that path for long. I would be more inclined to stay if I could get into one of our product development labs, I just don't think that will happen before we have to make a decision on moving. Have any of you had a similar start to your career? How'd you break out or change tracks?

This was me several years ago - I worked at a major food safety lab doing calibration and regulatory work. The thing I found is that a lot of folks seemed to be interested in the fact I had worked in a regulated environment, understood what a QMS was and so on. It didn't really matter the industry I was working in either, so if you're willing to try something outside of the chemistry world there's a lot of different things out there. Personally, moved to aerospace and haven't looked back.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone else going to PittCon?

Is anyone else attending this year? I'll be there Sunday-Thursday sitting at our booth in the informatics section but am definitely up for grabbing some beers with any goons who happen to be there.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Also by the time I leave I'll have at least 1.5 years experience and at least one sterling recommendation from within my company, surely enough to keep me out of entry-level QC positions right? Is QC/QA/safety work not as bad as I'm making it out to be, or should I resign myself to my fate?

Sorry to be discouraging, but at my company, an MS is basically meaningless, and 1.5 year of experience wouldn't get you past entry level positions. The people we've hired that aren't entry level have at least 5-6 years of experience. I am in pharma, which is pretty elitist in general, so maybe it's different in other industries.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
^^I'm fine with not being in pharma. My old-coworker who left for pharma is now an associate scientist II at her new company, is that still entry-level? Honestly asking, I still don't know how job titles work.

Solkanar512 posted:

This was me several years ago - I worked at a major food safety lab doing calibration and regulatory work. The thing I found is that a lot of folks seemed to be interested in the fact I had worked in a regulated environment, understood what a QMS was and so on. It didn't really matter the industry I was working in either, so if you're willing to try something outside of the chemistry world there's a lot of different things out there. Personally, moved to aerospace and haven't looked back.

When you say "folks seemed to be interested in the fact I had worked in a regulated environment", what things were they interested in? Honestly the regulatory & paperwork side of my department (which is more a mix of QC, QA, auditing, and food safety programs among other stuff) is the least-appealing to me. I've had some second-hand exposure to it but we have one or two designated people who run most of those programs, and we have a separate Regulatory department that does nothing but paperwork so perhaps your regulatory work is not the same stuff in my department. At any rate it's nothing I actively seek out, I'm much happier testing samples, sampling & approving the raw materials that come into our production plant, or working with R&D to figure out why something got messed up; I couldn't tell you what a QMS is either. I didn't commit myself to a PhD program to do paperwork all day (even if I walked away from it halfway through), but maybe that's a naive stance to take in this day and age.

What sort of educational background do you come from? I'm certainly willing to try jobs that aren't in the chemical industry, but I'd prefer something that's at least tangentially related to the field (I'm fine with it not being related to my grad research). Do you find that you need to use stuff from your degree or your previous position(s) a lot in your current one?

When you decided to switch gears, how did you decide what to look for? My fiancee keeps telling me I should start looking around in anticipation of leaving my job in the next few months, but for me personally I find that really difficult and almost nonsensical to do when I don't know what I'm looking for or where (geographically) to look for it. I feel like it'll be better to do once I'm able to fix one of those two in place, though I understand that part of this involves me developing a clearer picture of what I want to do (which again, I'm hosed up and don't know what that is)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 9, 2015

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Probably depends on the company, and what you consider entry level. My dept is Assistant Research Scientist -> Associate Research Scientist -> Research Scientist -> Senior Research Scientist -> Principle Scientist, with two levels in each band,. Assistant doesn't really exist any more, but was how we differentiated new BS from MS hire, but now both come in as associate I. You don't see a major increase in responsibility Research Scientist, so that's what I consider no longer entry level.

There's also a technician track at my company, which I'm not as familiar with, as they are union positions, so I don't get exposed to the promotion levels over there.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

gninjagnome posted:

Sorry to be discouraging, but at my company, an MS is basically meaningless, and 1.5 year of experience wouldn't get you past entry level positions. The people we've hired that aren't entry level have at least 5-6 years of experience. I am in pharma, which is pretty elitist in general, so maybe it's different in other industries.

I'm in diagnostics right now and this is the same. With 1.5 years of experience you'll be at entry level. Sorry.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I hope you like quality cause that's what you'll be doing for the rest of your life.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

^^I'm fine with not being in pharma. My old-coworker who left for pharma is now an associate scientist II at her new company, is that still entry-level? Honestly asking, I still don't know how job titles work.

When you say "folks seemed to be interested in the fact I had worked in a regulated environment", what things were they interested in? Honestly the regulatory & paperwork side of my department (which is more a mix of QC, QA, auditing, and food safety programs among other stuff) is the least-appealing to me. I've had some second-hand exposure to it but we have one or two designated people who run most of those programs, and we have a separate Regulatory department that does nothing but paperwork so perhaps your regulatory work is not the same stuff in my department. At any rate it's nothing I actively seek out, I'm much happier testing samples, sampling & approving the raw materials that come into our production plant, or working with R&D to figure out why something got messed up; I couldn't tell you what a QMS is either. I didn't commit myself to a PhD program to do paperwork all day (even if I walked away from it halfway through), but maybe that's a naive stance to take in this day and age.

What sort of educational background do you come from? I'm certainly willing to try jobs that aren't in the chemical industry, but I'd prefer something that's at least tangentially related to the field (I'm fine with it not being related to my grad research). Do you find that you need to use stuff from your degree or your previous position(s) a lot in your current one?

When you decided to switch gears, how did you decide what to look for? My fiancee keeps telling me I should start looking around in anticipation of leaving my job in the next few months, but for me personally I find that really difficult and almost nonsensical to do when I don't know what I'm looking for or where (geographically) to look for it. I feel like it'll be better to do once I'm able to fix one of those two in place, though I understand that part of this involves me developing a clearer picture of what I want to do (which again, I'm hosed up and don't know what that is)

Ok so I had three years experience, and a BS in Math/Biology from a good school that was recognized by interviewers around half the time. When I wanted to leave my lovely lab (a nicer version of Sundae's), I was just looking around for anything until I realized the company I now work for was actually interested in folks like me.

As far as what folks were interested in, they really appreciated that was used to working in a cGMP/ISO 17025 environment because it meant I understood things like traceability and why QC/QA are important in the first place. It's obvious to those here in the thread, but it's really kind of a crazy mind set where you have someone else check all the work being performed and everything is traceable and you can stop or send things back if something is wrong. The fact you can step right in to that is a big deal. Big enough that you can jump industries fairly easily.

You also have the understanding of how to sample and test properly, to follow SOPs, stats and so on. All that stuff transfers. The big thing for me was learning how a plane is built, but they were happy to teach me. Most of what I do now is research, metrics and formalized process improvement.

As an aside, get as much varied experience as you can, even if you don't do it every day. Understand how all the different pieces fit together - from the regulatory requirements, industry standards to yes, your QMS. A QMS or "Quality management system" is how your company's Quality system works. It's built to the requirements of the government, private auditor or client and starts with your SOPs and explicitly lays out how your work is done, products are tested, records are kept and results are reported.

If there's more you want to hear or have me clarify, just let me know!

Edit: Fixing phone posting errors.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 10, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Solkanar512 posted:

Ok so I had three years experience, and a BS in Math/Biology from a good school that was recognized by interviewers around half the time. When I wanted to leave my lovely lab (a nicer version of Sundae's), I was just looking around for anything until I realized the company I now work for was actually interested in folks like me.

Thanks for the feedback, can you go into more detail about the bolded part? How can you gauge interest in your skills from companies that don't normally look for them?

seacat posted:

I hope you like quality cause that's what you'll be doing for the rest of your life.

We had two people in R&D quit yesterday and today was the first day that I'm eligible to take a job in another department, so you tell me. Too bad there's a non-zero chance I'm moving across the country next month :goleft:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for the feedback, can you go into more detail about the bolded part? How can you gauge interest in your skills from companies that don't normally look for them?

See, I figured they weren't interested in a life sciences person, mostly because I was so used to labs requiring you have one particular niche and tens years of experience in it. That and I assumed they wanted a ton of aerospace experience and this was wrong. Instead, they were more than happy to teach me that part and were interested that I worked in a regulated environment where the stakes were high, and that I had a solid science/math background.

As to gauging interest? I applied to a bunch of jobs there and landed one on my second interview.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

job posted, filled now

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 27, 2015

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lab Rat Movie Chat

Interstellar

Movie overall was ok I guess, a little long, but it did get my science rocks off. Specifically the "eureka!" sequence. The sequence's acting/direction maybe wasn't the best, but it still captured the eureka moment pretty well. The world (your project) depends on understanding this natural process. You even know the experiment that would get you the data you need, but it's far beyond human (grad student) capabilities. Then a lab member you had written off as lost comes through with the data in a heroic way. You crunch the numbers and see the implications. So you march into the lab where everyone is still trudging away at their work, despite being mostly resigned to the world ending (their careers contributing nothing to science). Eureka mother fuckers!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

[e] job filled

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 9, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This probably isn't lab-specific but here goes- yesterday my supervisor calls me into his office to ask my opinion on some new metrics we're implementing, and during the discussion he casually starts asking me what I think about learning some of the QA side of things in our department (since our "Quality department" is a mashup of more traditional QC/QA/auditing/safety etc. departments elsewhere). I tell him I'm happy to learn as much as I can and forget about it, as according to him it's dependent on getting a LIMS setup in place this year and needing fewer hands for manual data entry and doc creation (but :lol: at my department having the spare capital for LIMS) Then today one of our main QA guys announces his two weeks' to our group and I'm starting to wonder if my supervisor has an idea to groom me for that role once the other guy leaves.

Here's the rub- unless something completely crazy happens it's likely that I'll be leaving the company soon, either when my fiancee takes a postdoc out west or she gets a job around here that gives us enough income and a better location where I can look for other work (I haven't been happy at my current position for a few months now and the department that I want to be in isn't hiring anytime soon). Am I a dick if I agree to be groomed for this more QA-heavy role and then bail partway through learning it, or is that just the risk all employees carry? At this point I've learned everything I can about my current role and most of my motivation for learning new things elsewhere at work is "will this look good on a resume/in an interview?" When I was whining about being trapped in quality a couple of you said that QA experience translates well across industries, and having that highly relevant skillset would be my main motivation to learn it rather than having a career that's strictly in quality. Maybe it won't pan out before we have to move and this will all be moot, but if I am being trained for this role while getting ready to leave should I be upfront with my boss about putting their long-term training investment elsewhere, or should I stop worrying and look out for #1?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

C-Euro posted:

This probably isn't lab-specific but here goes- yesterday my supervisor calls me into his office to ask my opinion on some new metrics we're implementing, and during the discussion he casually starts asking me what I think about learning some of the QA side of things in our department (since our "Quality department" is a mashup of more traditional QC/QA/auditing/safety etc. departments elsewhere). I tell him I'm happy to learn as much as I can and forget about it, as according to him it's dependent on getting a LIMS setup in place this year and needing fewer hands for manual data entry and doc creation (but :lol: at my department having the spare capital for LIMS) Then today one of our main QA guys announces his two weeks' to our group and I'm starting to wonder if my supervisor has an idea to groom me for that role once the other guy leaves.

Here's the rub- unless something completely crazy happens it's likely that I'll be leaving the company soon, either when my fiancee takes a postdoc out west or she gets a job around here that gives us enough income and a better location where I can look for other work (I haven't been happy at my current position for a few months now and the department that I want to be in isn't hiring anytime soon). Am I a dick if I agree to be groomed for this more QA-heavy role and then bail partway through learning it, or is that just the risk all employees carry? At this point I've learned everything I can about my current role and most of my motivation for learning new things elsewhere at work is "will this look good on a resume/in an interview?" When I was whining about being trapped in quality a couple of you said that QA experience translates well across industries, and having that highly relevant skillset would be my main motivation to learn it rather than having a career that's strictly in quality. Maybe it won't pan out before we have to move and this will all be moot, but if I am being trained for this role while getting ready to leave should I be upfront with my boss about putting their long-term training investment elsewhere, or should I stop worrying and look out for #1?

I would say look out for yourself. What if you don't end up moving elsewhere? Now you'll be stuck in the job you're not happy with and resentful you didn't take this potential role. If/when you get confirmation that you will be moving let your boss know, don't just surprise him, but for now I would take the role and not mention a word of the move.

Also send me your boss's name and number, I sell LIMS hah.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

C-Euro posted:

stop worrying and look out for #1?

This, and get that QA experience. I can't tell you how badass my current job is because I have that experience. My desk is five stories up next to a window overlooking a loving airplane factory. I can wave at the overhead crane operators.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

This, and get that QA experience. I can't tell you how badass my current job is because I have that experience. My desk is five stories up next to a window overlooking a loving airplane factory. I can wave at the overhead crane operators.

Signs that your company cares about QA: Your post.

Signs that your company hates QA: When the entire department is housed in a remodeled janitorial supply closet attached to a defunct breakroom in a completely different building from the actual manufacturing operations. :haw:

Lyon - you don't happen to know anything about Catalyst LIMS, do you? Like, whether or not there are any 21 CFR Part 11 compliant plugins that work with modern statistical packages for it? Per our SOPs, we currently have to print all the data, manually transcribe it into Minitab, perform a multi-person audit/verification of data against the source documents on the screen since we haven't validated the printing process from Catalyst, then audit the Minitab spreadsheet against the source as well to confirm that we didn't transcribe something incorrectly again.

Ideally we'd just fix our loving SOPs, but it's probably more realistic for us to throw money at a proper export plugin and save the transcription steps than to fix any SOPs around here.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sundae posted:

Lyon - you don't happen to know anything about Catalyst LIMS, do you? Like, whether or not there are any 21 CFR Part 11 compliant plugins that work with modern statistical packages for it? Per our SOPs, we currently have to print all the data, manually transcribe it into Minitab, perform a multi-person audit/verification of data against the source documents on the screen since we haven't validated the printing process from Catalyst, then audit the Minitab spreadsheet against the source as well to confirm that we didn't transcribe something incorrectly again.

Ideally we'd just fix our loving SOPs, but it's probably more realistic for us to throw money at a proper export plugin and save the transcription steps than to fix any SOPs around here.

I'm not aware of any pre-validated plugins offered by Accelrys but drug development/design is not a space I'm very familiar with.

It sounds like they have an export function but you are unable to use it because it hasn't been validated? Could you hire a consultant to validate the export piece and just use their standard export functionality? If the scope of the validation is limited I'm guessing it wouldn't be that expensive.

There is a really good LIMS consulting firm based out of Newark, DE called CSols and another one based out of New Jersey named Astrix (disclaimer: we farm our validation work to Astrix). They both perform system validations and CSols is very well known in the industry.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
My fiancee has been looking for work and got a job offer through a recruiting agency for a plate glass company as a formulation chemist in their automotive paint division. Things went along fine, she went through the drug screen and the recruiting agency calls her up in the morning a few days later and tells her the company needs her to start the next day (less than 24 hours later). The agency knows she has to relocate 2.5 hours away to the city this new job is in, she tried to ask for 2 weeks before she started to find an apartment and sign a lease. They rescinded the job offer.

Is this normal? Should she save up to put herself up in a hotel for a few weeks while she apartment hunts if she gets another offer from someone else? I think she dodged a serious bullet. They only offered her 30k/yr and no benefits/no relocation assistance.

What do you guys think?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Of course that's a bullet dodged. Does it even need to be asked?

Like, that's a bullet even I don't get hit by, and I take every lovely goddamned job out there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
She dodged one of these bad boys-

My recruiting agency wanted me to start the day after being hired but I was ~45 minutes away and getting paid 10k more per year than what she would have been getting. I've done nothing on this page but bitch about my job but my situation is way better than what you just described.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
No, it's not normal and those people are out of their loving minds.

Especially since they rescinded the job offer instead of trying to work something out. Its common for lab-type jobs to have short hiring deadlines but sorry 2 weeks is still normal and 3+ is more standard with relocation.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone at PittCon? I'm over in the laboratory informatics section sitting in our booth. If there are enough people here we could have an impromptu goon meet and grab some beers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm down. I'm at PittCon staying in the French Quarter.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

I'm down. I'm at PittCon staying in the French Quarter.

We are at the Marriott across the street because we are lazy and love hotel points/status.

You don't have PMs but you can email me at ecksile at gmail and I'll be in touch. If you are on the floor tomorrow I'm at 2937 in the informatics section and my name is Dave. I'm the youngest guy there by a mile so I'm stuck at the booth all day but should be relatively easy to find.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have experience with the Medical Staffing Network? I've got an information call tomorrow with one of their recruiters, I had a friend from the Vegas area refer me to them. A per diem/temporary/travel contract would actually be quite nice if I can make it gel with my currently unstable schedule..

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
I have gotten a job in the radiopharmaceutical industry as a microbiologist for a major company. :toot:
After looking for work related to my degree after graduating back in May I am so happy to join you lab rats. From the stories I hear from coworkers I have joined one of the best places in my area and man is it clean, well stocked, and full of happy friendly people. I was not expecting an acceptance from them and was thinking I would end up starting my career hating my first job or working temp jobs but this is so amazing.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
Got an offer for a position in molecular genetics at 15$/hr, unfortunately there isn't any PTO whatsoever and health insurance would be 580$/month. I'm going to have to decline the job because I simply can't pay my student loans and make rent on such little money. I thought a B.S degree in chemistry would be a little more lucrative. It appears I have been misled.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

clean, well stocked, and full of happy friendly people.

How far is the commute from Atlantis or one of the 7 cities of Cibola?

I kid, congrats to you. It's nice being in a fun place to work.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Anyone have experience with the Medical Staffing Network? I've got an information call tomorrow with one of their recruiters, I had a friend from the Vegas area refer me to them. A per diem/temporary/travel contract would actually be quite nice if I can make it gel with my currently unstable schedule..

Guess I'll expand the question to staffing agencies in general? Just trying to feel out these kinds of places, seems kind of cool, honestly. 3-month contracts, traveling, flexible hours, sounds legit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
From the ones I've worked with (on a contracting level) or who I had friends working under (as the actual contractors), they can be extremely hit or miss. I'd recommend finding someone who works for a given staffing agency as a contractor and find out how he likes it and how the agency treats him and his contracts. Sometimes they're great, and then sometimes they'll go all spineless and unilaterally modify your contract as a signatory on your behalf when your hosting company decides they want to shove a stick up your rear end for no reason.

Talking to people who've worked with the agency is probably the biggest thing you can do. Make sure you get a feel for whether they stick up for their workers or gently caress you over in the name of chasing their own dollars.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Mourne posted:

Got an offer for a position in molecular genetics at 15$/hr, unfortunately there isn't any PTO whatsoever and health insurance would be 580$/month. I'm going to have to decline the job because I simply can't pay my student loans and make rent on such little money. I thought a B.S degree in chemistry would be a little more lucrative. It appears I have been misled.

Geez, that's pretty close to my compensation and I just stand around loading an autoclave all day. Glad I'm just doing this to pay for my CS degree.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Apparently my old x-ray crystallography CRO employer just laid off all of molecular biology, fermentation, cell culture, and purification (about half the company). Wonder what the thinking is there.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Mourne posted:

This job offer sucks. Maybe if it's your very first job out of school and you can somehow make ends meet for the year-1.5 years experience. If someone offered me a job for 15 bucks an hour, no PTO and 580$ monthly for health insurance (please tell me this covers your spouse and family at least), I'd laugh in their face.

Edit: Maybe if you're living in Port Arthur or rural Alabama or something where you can rent a trailer for 100$/month it would be worth it. Honestly it just sounds like a lovely company who tries to undercut people cause they know some people will take it.

seacat fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 17, 2015

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mourne posted:

This was my first job out of school pretty much after 6 months unemployment. Im going into programming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

seacat posted:

This job offer sucks. Maybe if it's your very first job out of school and you can somehow make ends meet for the year-1.5 years experience. If someone offered me a job for 15 bucks an hour, no PTO and 580$ monthly for health insurance (please tell me this covers your spouse and family at least), I'd laugh in their face.

Edit: Maybe if you're living in Port Arthur or rural Alabama or something where you can rent a trailer for 100$/month it would be worth it. Honestly it just sounds like a lovely company who tries to undercut people cause they know some people will take it.

$580/month is just for me. I did graduate last December, but I was working as a research assistant in a biochem lab for 3.5 years while I was in school, so I have actual experience. It's just that 15$/hr is not enough to make ends meet, and the job is located in Pittsburgh and I'd have to relocate there. Looking around, rent and utilities were gonna be about 1000$/month. I just can't afford to take the job. I balked when I heard the details because I made almost as much working in a lab without a degree. It was shocking because it's a very large, well recognized company in chemistry, you'd think if they wanted to attract any talent, they'd pay more than what an assistant manager makes at a gas station. Recruiters for Merck have put me in for jobs that start at 23-25$/hr.

I guess I now know why they have 5 vacancies that they need to fill RIGHT NOW! They kept talking about how much backlog they have and how they are very short-staffed.

PokeJoe posted:

This was my first job out of school pretty much after 6 months unemployment. Im going into programming now.

Been looking for a job for about 3 months now.