Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Boon posted:

There's occasional talk of Star Wars: X-Wing in here, but has anyone ever discussed Star Wars: Armada?

It seems the closest I'll get to the good old days of BFG... and also awesome because Star Wars.

It gets occasional mention in the X-Wing thread. Nobody is really sure when it's supposed to be out, though. Initial predictions were Q1, this year...but FFG seems to have a way of missing those completely. They're also releasing a new faction for X-Wing (Scum and Villainy) next week, so that's probably having an effect somewhere along the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Even though I'm not going to play in them this year, I decided to look through the FAQs for the LVO and Adepticon. It seems both are adopting the rule that tyrannocites can only fire their guns in 45 degree arcs.

I can't wrap my head around this ruling. In many cases there is vague wording in the rules, but this one there is literally nothing in the rules to support it.

It's a monstrous creature. MCs have 360 degree firing arcs. It has a special rule that lets it fire all five, and each gun fires at the closest target. Nothing in that would lead to a 45 degree arc.

I admit, the way the model LOOKS would imply it couldn't fire the guns in all directions, but neither does an exocrine.

My local GT judge decided that the Sporocyst had to use the 45 degree arcs but the Tyrannocyte could fire all five at the same target, the argument being that the Tyrannocyte is mobile and spins around. I'm only bringing one to the non-tourney games on Friday, but I'm glad he ruled that way.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't understand why there's a decision being made at all. There's no ambiguity to be had.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

My local GT judge decided that the Sporocyst had to use the 45 degree arcs but the Tyrannocyte could fire all five at the same target, the argument being that the Tyrannocyte is mobile and spins around. I'm only bringing one to the non-tourney games on Friday, but I'm glad he ruled that way.

Well, thank god they decided to power down the overpowered sporocyst. You know what I expect to see at adepticon this year? 3 sporocyst lists. Worse than those loving knights.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The rule says that you have to measure LOS from each gun, and that you can fire each gun at a separate target. That's enough for me to say it supercedes the normal shooting rules.

It's like the argument that the Obelisk has no effect on FMCs even though it explicitly says that it does.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The rule says that you have to measure LOS from each gun, and that you can fire each gun at a separate target. That's enough for me to say it supercedes the normal shooting rules.

It's like the argument that the Obelisk has no effect on FMCs even though it explicitly says that it does.

But the rules also specifically say that los is never blocked by the firing model. And even if it did, they would have about 200 degrees of vision, not 45.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Master Twig posted:

But the rules also specifically say that los is never blocked by the firing model. And even if it did, they would have about 200 degrees of vision, not 45.

That sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always like Adepticon's FAQ better LVO and Adepticon mostly match but there are always a few things where it's like "No we're not adopting that". Unfortunately Adepticon is going with that interpretation as well.

Yes, I know that they have the same people that contribute but there's always like one or two things that are completely different.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 21, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I always like Adepticon's FAQ better LVO and Adepticon mostly match but there are always a few things where it's like "No we're not adopting that". Unfortunately Adepticon is going with that interpretation as well.

I don't even consider it an interpretation. It's flat out changing the rules. As a tournament director, that's their right. I'm not going to skip a tournament because of it, but I still think it's dumb.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I agree it's kind of dumb and makes no sense.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Master Twig posted:

What's the point of the rule saying that the guns can shoot different targets, then, if they'll all be shooting at the closest target regardless?

I'll agree that it should be 72 degrees, minimum, and probably closer to 180 (I've not seen the model in person).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's the point of the rule saying that the guns can shoot different targets, then, if they'll all be shooting at the closest target regardless?

I'll agree that it should be 72 degrees, minimum, and probably closer to 180 (I've not seen the model in person).

The model is quite large. Put down between different squads it's quite easy for different guns to have different targets. It'll usually be a 2-3 split, but it works. I can post an overhead shot of one when I get home later.

But yeah, put on one enemy flank, all five guns can be closest to one unit. With the adepticon and LVO ruling, you're taking 80% of their fire power away. For a model that cannot charge, that's significant.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

But if you are going to follow the normal rules for MCs, then the positions of the guns doesn't matter. They'll all fire at the nearest target to the model. Why only disregard one part of the rule?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea I think the big issue is that the model itself doesn't really have a "facing", so that is what makes people so weirded out about it but I felt it was pretty straight forward.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Shoot Deathspitter A at target unit A (closest unit to any point of the model's base)
Does it remain? If yes, shoot Deathspitter B at Target A
If no, shoot Deathspitter B at target B (next closest unit to any point of the model's base)

So on and so forth.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Didnt it say in the WD measure from each gun.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It was in a side-blurb editor's note thing, not in the actual rules of the model.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's the same problem that you have with the Necron's Obelisk that loving thing has "Tesla Spheres" , but if you interpret it literally like it's hullmounted from the point of the gun it has like a 20 inch dead zone that it can't fire at.

Vehicle, and Firing arcs, and just LOS in general is kind of poo poo and has been for a while.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There are no vehicles or firing arcs involved.

e: well, I guess you can call 360 degrees a firing arc, but still.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah , it's a weird interpretation and just like wrong.

Ugh I got drunk last night and bid on a bunch of Harlequins on Ebay , I don't regret the decision but my wallet does.

Not to thrilled about buying Voidweavers as they seem a just poo poo unit, but the rest of the army's great.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
On the subject of poorly written Tyranid rules - does the Leviathan perk let you re-roll the IB Ld test roll or the roll on the IB table?

quote:

Adapted Instincts: You can re-roll the Instinctive Behaviour roll for any unit in this detachment.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I would imagine the latter, but hey, re-roll them both and dare anyone to prove you wrong!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The latter for sure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Good Luck to all the players at LVO! I'm going ahead and calling JY2s from Dakkas Fluffkiller or Pennytyrant list as the number 1.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I know Naramyth is there. I hope he's kicking some rear end. Two local buddies of mine are also there and I have seen posted on facebook that they are both 3-0.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I would imagine the latter, but hey, re-roll them both and dare anyone to prove you wrong!

ghetto wormhole posted:

The latter for sure.

I think that's the intention and is how I'm going to play it, but the Tyranid Codex doesn't say which of the two is the actual IB Roll. The leadership test is taken due to the Instinctive Behaviour rule, and the Instinctive Behaviour Table is a consequence of failing that roll. :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure Abusepuppy is there as well.

The Only thing I've heard is that someone posted that a 13 year old is kicking rear end an taking names in the tournament.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 21, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure Abusepuppy is there as well.

Yep, literally just read this http://www.3plusplus.net/2015/02/what-happens-in-the-dark-future-of-only-war-2/ before I came here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Master Twig posted:

I know Naramyth is there. I hope he's kicking some rear end. Two local buddies of mine are also there and I have seen posted on facebook that they are both 3-0.

Is his name Brandon Grant? He's undefeated with DA/IG, and I think that's Naramyth's list, and I can't imagine there are too many of them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Is his name Brandon Grant? He's undefeated with DA/IG, and I think that's Naramyth's list, and I can't imagine there are too many of them.

What's his list look like?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of army lists, what does everyone think about this optional 30k FOC:

quote:

'Onslaught'

Mandatory: x1 hq, x1 troop, x1 heavy support
Option: x1hq, x3 troops, x4 elites, x2FA, x3 heavy support, x2 LOW
Restrictions: No allies, no ROWs, no fortifications, always go last unless you seize

Ever since one of you guys mentioned it I've been thinking if its good or not. In my mind it mitigates one of the biggest problems with legion armies while reinforcing one of the strengths- expensive mandatory troops and economical heavy support/elite units. It favors a few kinds of lists since you'll be going second all the time, but I'm liking it more and more. What do you tactical goons think?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No RoW is a big hit, IMO.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Seizing is quite possibly the worst mechanic :negative:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
What's the preferred Leman Russ Exterminator loadout?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WAR FOOT posted:

Seizing is quite possibly the worst mechanic :negative:

It's pretty bad. It's basically a 1-in-6 chance of creating a "feel bad" moment for the opponent, who gets to set up first and go second.

VVV it takes what is a semi-interesting tactical decision--go first or deploy last--and makes it nearly a no-brainer, especially if you have an ability that improves your chances of seizing.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 22, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty cool with it. Counters the whole first turn dice roll thing a bit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Apparently a Ork player is sitting at the top of the pack with a Greentide list from what I understand, which is reallly loving cool.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Boon posted:

I'm pretty cool with it. Counters the whole first turn dice roll thing a bit.

There are probably better ways of compensating for it though. As it is, it's just another nugget of diceroll variance.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of army lists, what does everyone think about this optional 30k FOC:
I'm liking it more and more.

I've been feeling the same since i realized it exists, but theres all of 4 30k players in the state so I havnt had a chance to try it out.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Apparently a Ork player is sitting at the top of the pack with a Greentide list from what I understand, which is reallly loving cool.

That's one of the buddies of mine I think. He posted he was still undefeated, and I know he was running orks.

My nids beat him in a practice match. :smug:

• Locked thread