Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

16 was still way strong regardless, though. Granted, not a cyborg.

He was still eclipsed by Vegeta/Trunks when they came out of the RoSaT, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of this opening is that it makes z-era master roshi look like a huge badass

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Esroc posted:

Dende's Dragon Balls were modified versions of Kami's, not brand new.

It's still dumb when you consider that you can adjust the timelimit for how long the Balls go inert for. So if there WAS Negative energy just... I dunno... don't make the balls usable until the energy disappears?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of this opening is that it makes z-era master roshi look like a huge badass

He was a badass in that movie. I like it when Roshi fights.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New Leaf posted:

Rock the Dragon or nothing.

This was the opening I remember from when I first saw DBZ as a kid. It annoyed me because almost none of it was actually in the series, it was mostly movie footage.

VanSandman posted:

He was a badass in that movie. I like it when Roshi fights.

The first Kamehameha was one of the best scenes in all of Dragonball canon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

This was the opening I remember from when I first saw DBZ as a kid. It annoyed me because almost none of it was actually in the series, it was mostly movie footage.

The first Kamehameha was one of the best scenes in all of Dragonball canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdQLaHEpx9w
BEEF CAKE ROSHI!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

It's kind of funny how pretty much all of that opening is from poo poo that isn't in the series, and for that matter didn't actually happen. I guess it avoids spoilers!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Justin_Brett posted:

It's kind of funny how pretty much all of that opening is from poo poo that isn't in the series, and for that matter didn't actually happen. I guess it avoids spoilers!

Most of those clips are from Dead Zone, World's Strongest and Tree of Might. They didn't happen canonically in the series, but they also weren't made specifically for the opening, if that's what you're implying.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Except for the part where it ends with SS Vegeta, SS Trunks, and SS Goku.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like Goku doing all the handsprings then falling on his neck, it kind of sums of his goofy character well. Nappa tearing up a jet with his hands also did a lot for me before I knew anything about the show, because holy gently caress that dude must be strong.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Was Goku the first protagonist in the history of manga who was dumb, ate a lot and secretly had great strength that stemmed from him caring for his friends? It's an archetype now, but it had to start somewhere.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PiedPiper posted:

Was Goku the first protagonist in the history of manga who was dumb, ate a lot and secretly had great strength that stemmed from him caring for his friends? It's an archetype now, but it had to start somewhere.

Well, he's more or less just a cut-and-pasted Son Wukong from Journey to the West.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something I've been wondering about shonen manga/anime:

How long have "ki" attacks and energy attacks been a thing? Kamehamehas, Hadokens, whatever. I know that in Taoism and such, there are metaphysical beliefs about chi and prana and so on. But in terms of being depicted in comics, movies, video games, etc., how long has this been a trope? Because off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything before the 1980s. Supposedly the Hadoken from Street Fighter was inspired by the Kamehameha from Dragon Ball, but where did Toriyama get the idea?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PiedPiper posted:

If he wasn't the first, he drat sure made it popular.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I really wanted Battle of Gods to start with a remixed Rock the Dragon for hilarious nostalgia factor, but the dubbers let me down.

You guys still have a chance with Revival of F.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Rock the Dragon is awesome and I'm glad I'm so heavily invested in DBZ and take it so seriously, but it feels off, in a way. Especially so for the comedy oriented Battle of the Gods. It's just so much edgier and less "fun adventure" then Cha-La Head-Cha-La.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blue Star posted:

Here's something I've been wondering about shonen manga/anime:

How long have "ki" attacks and energy attacks been a thing? Kamehamehas, Hadokens, whatever. I know that in Taoism and such, there are metaphysical beliefs about chi and prana and so on. But in terms of being depicted in comics, movies, video games, etc., how long has this been a trope? Because off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything before the 1980s. Supposedly the Hadoken from Street Fighter was inspired by the Kamehameha from Dragon Ball, but where did Toriyama get the idea?

Fist of the North Star is older than Dragon Ball and had stuff like Ki but no Kamehamehas or anything, and there's a bunch of old Karate manga with similar concepts, plus Kung Fu movies. Though really magical martial arts is a really, really, old trope that dates back to old Chinese Wuxia stories and plays.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neo_Crimson posted:

Fist of the North Star is older than Dragon Ball and had stuff like Ki but no Kamehamehas or anything, and there's a bunch of old Karate manga with similar concepts, plus Kung Fu movies. Though really magical martial arts is a really, really, old trope that dates back to old Chinese Wuxia stories and plays.

I know wuxia has been a thing for centuries, but I'm talking about things like glowing blue/yellow energy beams that characters shoot from their hands and what-not. It seems weirdly modern. This isn't some pressing mystery that I want answered immediately; it's just interesting.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Some Numbers posted:

Most of those clips are from Dead Zone, World's Strongest and Tree of Might. They didn't happen canonically in the series, but they also weren't made specifically for the opening, if that's what you're implying.

Yeah that's what I mean, those aren't canon and thus didn't technically actually happen.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Blue Star posted:

I know wuxia has been a thing for centuries, but I'm talking about things like glowing blue/yellow energy beams that characters shoot from their hands and what-not. It seems weirdly modern. This isn't some pressing mystery that I want answered immediately; it's just interesting.

Ki is part of Chinese wuxia for a long time. The modern codifier is Jin Yong and in one of his stories, there's a martial art that basically lets you use ki like a lightsaber but from six fingers at a once.

This was serialized from 1963 to 1966 so it's a pretty old story element.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Aye, I remember Cartoon Network had a bunch of advertisements for DBZ which were actually pretty vague, but it looked different from anything I'd seen so I thought I'd try it out. I sit down on Monday evening at either 5pm or 5.30; "Rock the Dragon" starts up; 9-year old mind blown.

Of course, what happened after that was every other channel tried to copy it, to varying degrees of success. The one I'll always remember is Fox Kids getting Sailor Moon... and trying to advertise it as a shonen action series.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 22, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

As a kid, I thought Burter was the coolest looking member of the Ginyu force, so I was really looking forward to seeing him fight and kept getting pissed when they would keep restarting the show just before his fight. Then the show finally continued and he got chumped in like, one episode. :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rhonne posted:

As a kid, I thought Burter was the coolest looking member of the Ginyu force, so I was really looking forward to seeing him fight and kept getting pissed when they would keep restarting the show just before his fight. Then the show finally continued and he got chumped in like, one episode. :(

How could he be the coolest? He wasn't short and orange.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

I remember the first time I heard that version I felt so ripped off because this was the one Canadian's got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEl9skiNc88

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

How could he be the coolest? He wasn't short and orange.

You don't get it man, he was the fastest in the UNIVERSE!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

I remember the first time I heard that version I felt so ripped off because this was the one Canadian's got

lmao

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So after way too long, I finally watched Battle of the Gods. That movie was pretty amazing, I'm glad I didn't get spoiled on like half of what happened (mostly the first half).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think Pilaf and his gang are my favorite part of that movie.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Ekusukariba posted:

WOW. That's.. really special. Why the hell do they even have an alternate intro? I do like the inclusion of Krillin blasting Vegeta through the chest, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is it time for the Big Green dub again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DVmgRb0v0

Westwood Media and AB Groupe later began production on English dubs of the Dragon Ball/Z/GT movies and TV specials. However, YTV opted not to broadcast them, so without Canadian broadcast rules to take into consideration, Westwood and AB Groupe decided not to produce these dubs in Canada or license the rights to previous dubs of the movies; instead took a notoriously cheap route and had these dubs recorded in an unknown foreign country. These dubs are notorious for having bad voice acting and strange character nomenclature, for example Krillin is named Clearin, Bulma is named Blooma, and any instance of the word "Saiyan" is replaced with "warrior". The scripts were based upon AB Groupe's French dubs of the films. These dubs have been nicknamed the "Big Green" dub, because Piccolo's name in these dubs was in fact "Big Green." The AB Groupe and Westwood Media dubs of these films were broadcast on Cartoon Network UK's Toonami block, and were distributed on Television and on video around Europe. The "Big Green" dub of Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest (changed to "The World's Strongest Guy"), Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might (changed to "Super Battle in the World"), and Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug (changed to "Super Saiya Son Goku") were released on VHS and DVD, but none of the other movies from this dub received a home release due to poor sales of the aforementioned movies.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 22, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

Westwood Media and AB Groupe later began production on English dubs of the Dragon Ball/Z/GT movies and TV specials. However, YTV opted not to broadcast them, so without Canadian broadcast rules to take into consideration, Westwood and AB Groupe decided not to produce these dubs in Canada or license the rights to previous dubs of the movies; instead took a notoriously cheap route and had these dubs recorded in an unknown foreign country. These dubs are notorious for having bad voice acting and strange character nomenclature, for example Krillin is named Clearin, Bulma is named Blooma, and any instance of the word "Saiyan" is replaced with "warrior". The scripts were based upon AB Groupe's French dubs of the films. These dubs have been nicknamed the "Big Green" dub, because Piccolo's name in these dubs was in fact "Big Green." The AB Groupe and Westwood Media dubs of these films were broadcast on Cartoon Network UK's Toonami block, and were distributed on Television and on video around Europe. The "Big Green" dub of Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest (changed to "The World's Strongest Guy"), Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might (changed to "Super Battle in the World"), and Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug (changed to "Super Saiya Son Goku") were released on VHS and DVD, but none of the other movies from this dub received a home release due to poor sales of the aforementioned movies.

I really want to see all of the Big Green Movies.

If only just for stuff on par with Paragus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2-xuUffi4

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Momomo posted:

So after way too long, I finally watched Battle of the Gods. That movie was pretty amazing, I'm glad I didn't get spoiled on like half of what happened (mostly the first half).

I just showed Battle of the Gods to my buddy and we had an absolute blast with it. Really really great movie.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

This was actually the later one. We got Rock the Dragon for the show's initial run through the Saiyan Saga I know that much for sure.

Firstborn posted:

You can't drop that poo poo without bringing in the best DBZ dub. Saiya people and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 22, 2015

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Caros posted:

This was actually the later one. We got Rock the Dragon for the show's initial run through the Saiyan Saga I know that much for sure.

You can't drop that poo poo without bringing in the best DBZ dub. Saiya people and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

I only remember the Rock the Dragon song showing up when Goku comes back and kicks the crap out of Nappa and maybe one or two other times. I remember it since it came out of nowhere and it went immediately back to the crappy Dragon Ball chanting in the next episode.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ekusukariba posted:

Holy poo poo nostalgia rush

New Leaf posted:

WOW. That's.. really special. Why the hell do they even have an alternate intro? I do like the inclusion of Krillin blasting Vegeta through the chest, though.

Actually that's not even the right intro, seems somebody took the time to recut it for some reason. Here's the real version. It's exactly the same footage as Rock the Dragon, including Nappa tearing through jets like butter, easily my favourite part.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 22, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have a personal weak spot for this DBZ intro, it goes full-on buttrock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZWmUsG3ls

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Zedd posted:

This one has a few fun clips and the music, but man, it's like they tried to find all of the worst animations from the Namek, Freiza and Garlic Jr. sagas and jammed them all together into a minute-long clip.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

surf rock posted:

This one has a few fun clips and the music, but man, it's like they tried to find all of the worst animations from the Namek, Freiza and Garlic Jr. sagas and jammed them all together into a minute-long clip.
Thats what makes me like it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I always liked We Gotta Power, which no one ever talks about. Although my favorite Hironobu Kageyama is probably M.D. Geist's end song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Zedd posted:

I do actually like that song, but I've always hated that clip of Yamcha running at around 00:45. It just looks so cheesy to me.

• Locked thread