Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, gay pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now that's how you make a cliff hanger,

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how many viewers they just lost.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Thankfully Charles Vane and his chiseled rock hard abs manliness will balance it out.

Deakul posted:

Welp, gay pirates.

Bi :eng101: (I guess)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I want to believe it's none.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a hell of a mislead in the scene with the father.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deakul posted:

Welp, gay pirates.

butt pirates. :eng101:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
If you watch Starz, I don't think you have a problem with gay _____.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That was a hell of a mislead in the scene with the father.

I was scratching my head the entire time going, "Geez I get that this ye olde England and that adultery is looked down upon especially when it comes to men of the service and the nobility, but is exile really necessary?"

And Flint never looked scarier than the moment he was embracing Mrs. Hamilton and he decided he was going to burn all of England.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 22, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another thing I liked is them trying to design Jack's flag.

Jack's flag was the iconic skull over crossed swords.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Another thing I liked is them trying to design Jack's flag.

Jack's flag was the iconic skull over crossed swords.

You could see the whore working on that design in her last scene.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watching it now, but for fucks sake Jack, when you're boning two world class stunners at least have a bath first.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Flint's brutal behavior makes a lot of sense now considering the "shame" he's been having to hide all his life. drat this show owns a lot

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Vane failed to butt stab Flint. He must have saw it coming.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

drat this show is good, I did not see that coming.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Im definitely on #teamcoat. I need more coat related info. Does anyone remember if the spanish captain was wearing it in episode 8? Also yeah I couldnt imagine something worse to wear in the carrribean. Things a walking heatstroke.

Also yeah flint always seemed slightly reserved/withdrawn/shamed. Makes more sense than being an ex naval officer reduced to piracy.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Wanted to see Flint and Vane fight to the loving death like I thought I was going to get from the previews last week but they hosed me, hosed me real good like that british fellow did to Flint.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

blablablabla posted:

Also yeah flint always seemed slightly reserved/withdrawn/shamed. Makes more sense than being an ex naval officer reduced to piracy.

Guess that's the real reason Flint looked so disinterested when he was nailing Ms. Barlow.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I'm pretty sure anyone who had a problem with the gays quit watching the network during Spartacus.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
After this week, #teamvane vs. #teamflint takes on a whole new meaning. Unless there's something about Vane we don't know, either.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rocksicles posted:

Just watching it now, but for fucks sake Jack, when you're boning two world class stunners at least have a bath first.

When you reach the heights of swag yolodom that Rackham has reached, baths become optional.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

When you reach the heights of swag yolodom that Rackham has reached, baths become optional.

Wearing clothing in public too apparently.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Loomer posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone who had a problem with the gays quit watching the network during Spartacus.

Yeah, skimming through twitter it seems like the reaction is overwhelmingly positive and happy about a good twist. A few dudes here and there are bitching and declaring they'll stop watching lest they catch the gay, but for the most part people seem to be on board with it. The best reaction was this one, though:

:airquote: strongly implying :airquote:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just out of curiosity: I never watched Spartacus, so what did it have that would have turned off homophobes?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

Just out of curiosity: I never watched Spartacus, so what did it have that would have turned off homophobes?

I'm guessing it's going to be a bunch of penises and homosexual romances/sex.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

It also did a hilarious bait and switch, going from a straight sex scene to a awesome gay sex scene.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Of note, they were written (and treated) like other romances in the show, without drawing attention to them. And they lead to some pretty heart-wrenching scenes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

etalian posted:

It also did a hilarious bait and switch, going from a straight sex scene to a awesome gay sex scene.

These were always hilarious

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

This last episode certainly gives a new depth to "Fruit, fruit! Tits, tits!"

Roman Reigns posted:

There were a bunch of gay characters in the show, but it didn't detract from the story. If anything, it made the characters and their relationships more complex. Now go watch Spartacus, the whole show's on Netflix. The first couple episodes aren't so good because they didn't have a budget yet, but it does get better.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

:getout:

Seriously it's a fantastic loving show, you should get on watching it as soon as you can.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Horse Divorce posted:

This last episode certainly gives a new depth to "Fruit, fruit! Tits, tits!"

There were a bunch of gay characters in the show, but it didn't detract from the story. If anything, it made the characters and their relationships more complex. Now go watch Spartacus, the whole show's on Netflix. The first couple episodes aren't so good because they didn't have a budget yet, but it does get better.

To echo this, each episode is better than the last. Unfortunately, this means the first two or three are kind of poo poo. But once it gets rolling, it never stops. Give it to "The Thing in the Pit" and if you aren't into it after that episode, then quit. Just don't give up after episode 1, it gets much better after that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I tell everyone to just skip episode 1 ever since I made did it by mistake on my first re-watch. I had literally forgotten everything about it, the episode is that bad. I'm not even sure it fills any plot purpose since Glaber and Spartacus wife get introduced in the second episode anyway, the details of episode 1 have no relevance on anything. :psyduck:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So yeah.

I suspected from the first few episodes that Mr Hamilton was a bit fruity and his relationship with his wife was platonic, but Flint batting for both teams?

:golfclap:

EDIT:

Deakul posted:

Welp, gay pirates.

New Thread title:

Black Sails S2: Tits and Fruity Pirates

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Flint revelation made me happy. It always annoyed me how basically every female character is bisexual, but on a show about English sailors we never had any sodomy; just rum and the lash.

edit: And if we're going to have gratuitous Anne Bonny lesbian sex scenes then they should be with Mary Read, dammit!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Don't forget the dairy goat.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has anyone else abruptly lost interest/sympathy for the Eleanor Guthrie character? I think the second time she sexually assaulted Vane and then couldn't decide whether she wanted to help Flint anymore I kind of decided she was dumb and lost interest. I actually really liked the character during the early episodes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Zwabu posted:

Has anyone else abruptly lost interest/sympathy for the Eleanor Guthrie character? I think the second time she sexually assaulted Vane and then couldn't decide whether she wanted to help Flint anymore I kind of decided she was dumb and lost interest. I actually really liked the character during the early episodes.

It's been tough being on Team Eleanor this season. From the start of the season she has been shown to be pretty ineffectual. I don't think there's a single thing she wanted to do thus far this season that she's been successful in doing, and her moves are all going to other people and whining at them to do something on her behalf. I mean it would have been pretty dumb if she'd killed Ned Lowe herself as her skills are seemingly diplomatic; however she's failed to convince anyone to do anything despite all her whining. She should be a strong character who's convincing and charismatic and manages to win people over with the power of her words and her stature; whose character flaw is that she has feelings for Vane and goes out of her way to protect him on occasion. None of that has been shown though and thus she has no real redeeming qualities outside of her sex appeal.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Eleanor legitimately supporting Vane instead of just using him as her murder monkey makes me not like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Didn't see the twist coming but like a few said here previously it makes much more sense now after watching Flint's character throughout the show.

Great episode, good season so far. Hopefully neither of them die during the big face off.

• Locked thread