Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the first palico i got was healing and now like 25 cats later i still havent seen another :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I am a little disappointed that dual swords and/or sns don't stab the mounted monster with their weapons. It's be a cool way to deal status or elemental damage

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Really new at this: I'm sort of digging the Switch Axe but I'm not sure its going to last me until end game seems pretty weak even in sword mode. Should I start learning Great Sword?

What should I be focusing in to upgrading first? I'm not totally sure which path is a going to last me through to end game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

gigawhite posted:

Why do I miss doing volcano runs for charms. I had it down to a science

I hate you.

Awesome! posted:

the first palico i got was healing and now like 25 cats later i still havent seen another :mad:

Each map has its own set of "preferred" Palico fortes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tormented posted:

Really new at this: I'm sort of digging the Switch Axe but I'm not sure its going to last me until end game seems pretty weak even in sword mode. Should I start learning Great Sword?

What should I be focusing in to upgrading first? I'm not totally sure which path is a going to last me through to end game.

Uh Switch Axe ownes bones and hits really hard in sword mode. And end game switch axes are totally end game viable, all weapon classes are.

If you wanna do GS go for it, but its really hard to use right, you have to time your hits REALLY well and learn all a boss' attacks. GS is really really hard to use later on when monsters are very fast or when there's several monsters.

Watch the gaijinhunter videos for each weapon class on youtube to make sure you're not missing things.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Emalde posted:

Each map has its own set of "preferred" Palico fortes.
where do i want to go for healing cats then

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Tormented posted:

Ranged can be weak early game, otherwise everything is perfectly viable. Switch Axe is a beast. Craft whatever catches your eye and don't worry about crafting to 'endgame' because endgame is 200 hours away and by that time you'll be able to run a train on anything LR or HR rank you're missing the mats for.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh Switch Axe ownes bones and hits really hard in sword mode. And end game switch axes are totally end game viable, all weapon classes are.

If you wanna do GS go for it, but its really hard to use right, you have to time your hits REALLY well and learn all a boss' attacks. GS is really really hard to use later on when monsters are very fast or when there's several monsters.

Watch the gaijinhunter videos for each weapon class on youtube to make sure you're not missing things.

I certanly missed the upward spirit slash leading to the combo after a Fade Slash. That thing is amazing and so goddamned useful for dodging and reclosing the gap.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Is there a better way to get abrasives than the 1-2 you get for guild quests?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

johnny park posted:

Is there a better way to get abrasives than the 1-2 you get for guild quests?

The only other place i've ever got abrasives is from treasure areas in the everwood, and I didn't get enough (even factoring in that you get 2 back for converting the weapons/armour into caravan points).

I just beat Seregios, its a pretty fun fight. Can't imagine doing it with a slow weapon though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Where do you find gossimite?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

DrManiac posted:

Where do you find gossimite?

Rarely mining at Heaven's Mount.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Riftling posted:

Ranged can be weak early game, otherwise everything is perfectly viable. Switch Axe is a beast. Craft whatever catches your eye and don't worry about crafting to 'endgame' because endgame is 200 hours away and by that time you'll be able to run a train on anything LR or HR rank you're missing the mats for.

Thanks guy I stick with my axey swordy.

But for example, my Bone Axe+ can go towards Barbarian Axe which looks to be a poison element tree or continue up the tree to the other elements by going for a Bone Smasher. I'm assuming its better to go up to Bone Smasher instead of getting stuck in a wierd dead end tree but I'm not sure.

I know this is a silly question but just trying to get a guide one where and how I should be upgrading!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a good "starter" set for HR? My Tetsucabra armor is finally showing its age.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a good "starter" set for HR? My Tetsucabra armor is finally showing its age.

I made Velociprey S and then upgraded to Tetsu later

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
Well bugger. Thought I'd make the Aelucanth armor for the thunder resistance against Jinouga. Was pleasantly surprised to see I had a lot of the mats already, till I realized it requires Butterfly beetles, and I have only 1 of those ... and they only drop from Hunters for Hire supposedly?

Well drat...

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
10-star caravan Molten Tigrex is so terrifying.

His yells explode you, how do you beat that?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

MrFlibble posted:

I just beat Seregios, its a pretty fun fight. Can't imagine doing it with a slow weapon though.

I did it with Charge Blade without any real problems, Apex too. It's not terrible. You just really have to be on your toes.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

A lot of people having been frustrated over the final egg mafia quest. I didn't have trouble with it, per se, but I did get carted once and it kind of makes a cool story (for me).

After downing rathian it was just me facing down rathalos. I cut off his tail and he flew back to his nest to avoid my wrath. When I got there, after another brief battle he clipped me and knocked me down. While I was recovering, he flew up and started bombarding the nest with fireballs. He didn't actually hit me with one, but he shook the nest so that it started to tilt. Whenever the nest moves like that, it will briefly stun you (like heavy ground-attacks from fat monsters). This allowed him to actually hit me with a fireball while I was in the stagger animation. Normally when being combo-gibbed by monsters I get a little irritated but this instance was so cool that I just kind of had to give him props.

When I got back from the cart he was sleeping so I planted two large barrel bombs in his face and activated them with my bug buddy and rathalos instantly died then and there. It was rad.

The lymerick the don had afterwards was... interesting. Something about getting treasure from a monster's behind.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I just watched the Gaijin Hunter video on charge blade and I knew less than half the stuff in the vid. I feel like I'm learning dark souls all over again, but there's even more to it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Dalamadur is a cool fight but he kinda has that Ceadus-like "I'm not sure if I want to be farming this nonstop for carves" quality to him, especially since he has like a zillion breaks.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

Crown Face posted:

10-star caravan Molten Tigrex is so terrifying.

His yells explode you, how do you beat that?

Apparently the solution was to actually use the proper element against him - I was given his PULSATING BLASTHEART as a reward.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nevermind

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 22, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I made Velociprey S chest and legs (the hunt two velocidrome quest) and the HR Seltas waistband (only requires Seltas parts) mixed with Diablos helm and a cenataur piece for sharpness + 1 and Attack up medium(two slot charm or attack charm)/large(weapon slots as well). I gemmed in Poison for the Pink Rathian fight but otherwise this set has taken me to seregios. I am wondering what I should upgrade to because fights have been getting slightly dicey, although I suppose I could just be getting reckless.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Awesome! posted:

where do i want to go for healing cats then

I was stumped on the same thing until I found this a couple hours ago

Anecdotally, I got 3 healing cats in a row in the Sunken Hollow even though I'm on high rank.

Edit: Oh and "beast" means stamina and "jump" means launching.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Triarii posted:

I was stumped on the same thing until I found this a couple hours ago

Anecdotally, I got 3 healing cats in a row in the Sunken Hollow even though I'm on high rank.

Edit: Oh and "beast" means stamina and "jump" means launching.

cool thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, I was...not ready for Khezu. In any sense of the phrase. :stare:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
"Hot-Air Buffoon" might be my new favorite quest name. "The Brilliant Darkness" for Alatreon in MH3 was :black101: as hell, but this is better.

Also, since there's so much cat talk going around, can you find Wild Palicoes in areas that aren't expeditions? If so, poo poo, I've been missing many, many cats, and I need to go farm them.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

"Hot-Air Buffoon" might be my new favorite quest name. "The Brilliant Darkness" for Alatreon in MH3 was :black101: as hell, but this is better.

Also, since there's so much cat talk going around, can you find Wild Palicoes in areas that aren't expeditions? If so, poo poo, I've been missing many, many cats, and I need to go farm them.

Every cat hideout has one :)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I have two Lances I'm working on, one is currently Ice elemental and one is currently Water elemental. They've both reached branches. I could keep going Ice or switch to Poison, and keep going Water or switch to Thunder. My current gut tells me to go Ice and Thunder but I'm not entirely sure. What do you guys think?

Having been obsessively making all of the low rank lances I'd say that I've gotten the most use out of the thunder lance. A lot of the tougher low rank monsters are weak to thunder.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

I did it with HBG and it seemed pretty non-ideal for the fight.

Ignimbrite posted:

I thought the same thing when I killed my first one

Capcom being stingy with the elder dragon carves

On the plus side Kirin has 3 carves now.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The set I used for the second half of HR and the early bits of G-Rank was a mixed Gore/Gore S set. Gore S Helm, Braces, and Greaves, with Gore (low rank armor) Mail and Faulds. Gives you Bio Researcher (immunity to Stench and Blastblight, guaranteed success rate for Dung Bombs), Challenger+2 (Attack Up L and 20% Affinity whenever a monster is enraged), and Sharpness +1. Downside is it gives Fire Resist Down (like 17 points of it) on top of the already bad native Fire Resist of Gore armor, for a whopping -43 Fire Resist. So uh...don't get hit by fire (getting 1-shot by G Rank Basarios's little flame spit was humiliating). Still, it's super easy to make (none of the pieces require rare materials) and the skills it gives are top notch.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Wow, Cephadrome is actually fun for once. I didn't even have to use a single sonic bomb to get him out of the sand. The textures on him are much nicer than the mud puddle he was in the original game too.

I love that hot air balloon (it briefly marks the monster on your map when you wave at it). Shame it wasn't in 3rd gen.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Now that I'm actually using the charge part of the charge blade I'm liking it even more, and it's basically the only weapon I've used so far. I'm still kind of not sure what armor I should build, but since it's LR, it's not really a big deal. It took me a while to understand skills, but now I'm getting the hang of it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Welp. I made a Gore Insect Glaive after having materials left over from my Charge Blade, I hate this drat weapon. I can't get the red juice at all on like...anyone.

Pneumatic Wizard
Oct 9, 2012

Buglord
This game is good and I like to smash things with hammers :fuckoff:

I'm still pretty new to it though and was wondering if there are any items I should always have with me? (Other than the obvious healing potions and whetstones)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pneumatic Wizard posted:

This game is good and I like to smash things with hammers :fuckoff:

I'm still pretty new to it though and was wondering if there are any items I should always have with me? (Other than the obvious healing potions and whetstones)

Nullberries for infected monsters.
Mosswine Jerky is pretty cool, I don't think many people use it. It instantly heals any red damage on your health bar.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Rathalos did his flying poison talon attack at me, I did a perfect guard point and the burst knocked him out of the sky right into a shock trap.

Gotcha bitch. :smug:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Having been obsessively making all of the low rank lances I'd say that I've gotten the most use out of the thunder lance. A lot of the tougher low rank monsters are weak to thunder.

Thanks for the input. I decided Yian Garuga is the worst monster ever so I'm gonna stick with my gut after all, and go Ice/Thunder. Seriously, no monster should move that fast and hit that hard in Low Rank.

To comment on something else, I've always enjoyed Mosswine Jerky/Tanzia Chips. The problem with them is that the game doesn't REALLY tell you what they do so most people write it off, but in G-Rank especially where some attacks hit seriously hard, it's good to have basically a super cheap Mega Potion or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Beat Shagaru Malgala first time! No carts, broke his face and his tail. Woop!

That fight was fun as hell. Felt perfectly balanced, he was tough but not unfair IMO. Less bullshit than Gore even. My only complaint is that his arena was kinda small and lame.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Rathalos did his flying poison talon attack at me, I did a perfect guard point and the burst knocked him out of the sky right into a shock trap.

Gotcha bitch. :smug:

:drat:

• Locked thread