Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

That is an idea that is way too Claremontian.

Skwirl posted:

hot down for being too loving weird.

I can understand I probably took it the wrong way, though. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Noh-varr is bi and Loki's sexual history is both complicated and available in all the best mythology books.

That being said, I'd treat mythology as anecdotal unless referenced in a comic book. If you think comic continuity is bad, mythology is quite the kettle of eggs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That being said, I'd treat mythology as anecdotal unless referenced in a comic book. If you think comic continuity is bad, mythology is quite the kettle of eggs.

See, I'd agree with you if Marvel themselves didn't keep referencing said mythology.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Loki did just turn into a unicorn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, the whole "are Asgardians Gods?" question is one that Marvel has singularly failed to give a definitive answer to; there are stories that unequivocally say "they're Gods," there are others that clearly say "no, they're aliens," and there's no real need for Marvel to put their foot down one way or the other.

I find it strange that the comics at the moment strongly prefer the mythic side of things while the movies prefer the sufficiently advanced technology side.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I assumed the movies going for the alien story was to avoid the risk of there being any backlash from the religious right in the US. I'm sure there's some of those people who would take the acknowledgement of any other god as anti-Christian.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Dacap posted:

I assumed the movies going for the alien story was to avoid the risk of there being any backlash from the religious right in the US. I'm sure there's some of those people who would take the acknowledgement of any other god as anti-Christian.

I think the more likely option is they want a fairly uniform aesthetic across their properties. You've got a guy in a robot suit, two guys who were "scienced" into powers, two secret agents, their flying sci-fi doom fortress, and then the Norse God of Thunder. He fits better as super advanced technology, so they gave him a quantum physicist for his girlfriend, easing him away from theology and into science fiction in time for the crossover.

Avengers has Captain America proclaiming Jesus as the One True God, so maybe there was some consideration for your thinking, but I'd bet it was more for the film's look.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Precambrian posted:

I think the more likely option is they want a fairly uniform aesthetic across their properties. You've got a guy in a robot suit, two guys who were "scienced" into powers, two secret agents, their flying sci-fi doom fortress, and then the Norse God of Thunder. He fits better as super advanced technology, so they gave him a quantum physicist for his girlfriend, easing him away from theology and into science fiction in time for the crossover.

Avengers has Captain America proclaiming Jesus as the One True God, so maybe there was some consideration for your thinking, but I'd bet it was more for the film's look.

I think also the choice to go with a very, very Kirby-esque aesthetic for Thor lent itself to the choice of using Kirby's preferred Ancient Aliens mythology; the Thor films owe quite a lot to Kirby, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor in the decision as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I always liked Kirby's gods because you'd think gods would have all the best technology instead of living like it's the eternal middle ages. Latest issue of Thor kind of bothered me because Odin was using seeing stones or whatever to see Thor on Earth when I know he has space television that can even see into the past, and comes with a sweet sci-fi remote. Go check out the cover to Thor #162.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dacap posted:

Nah it just makes more sense.

Norse gods (like most ancient gods, including YAWEH at times) don't really seem to actually be gods. Their power is extremely limited and they actually fit more into the superhero powerlevels than anything. So you just ignore the gods part so the audience isn't confused.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's still a little weird to imagine someone shapeshifting a dick out of nowhere just to experiment in the bedroom.

Pfft and you call yourself a comic book fan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What's the origin of the "Superman beating up Bizarro while crying" thing?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's the origin of the "Superman beating up Bizarro while crying" thing?

SlimGoodbody made this post as a serious suggestion for who should be the bad guy if WB relaunched Superman (pre-Man of Steel)

SlimGoodbody posted:

On that note, I think Bizarro, while maybe not a good villain to carry a movie, could be a tragic and beautiful piece of plot for a Supes movie. Someone (maybe Luthor, yawn) attempts to clone a Superman they can control, or maybe reverse engineer Superman-like abilities with a few drops of his blood. They want to use it to discredit the original Supes and turn public opinion against him. Bizarro ends up breaking loose and rampaging.

Don't make him evil, make him really dishearteningly broken in the head. He just keeps trying to "help" and "do the right thing," but he gets it all wrong because he's mentally deficient. Think Lenny trying to pet the rabbits. The plot arc culminates in Superman realizing that no amount of interposing will ever stop Bizarro from trying to do the right thing, just as no amount of interference would ever stop Superman from trying to do the right thing. We see Superman crying as he has to beat the life out of Bizarro, who doesn't understand what he's done. Superman doesn't want to do it, but it's a burden he has to bear in order to make the world safer. Supes has a period of reflection on whether he's any different, or if he's getting in the way of humanity moving itself forward by coddling it so much. He decides that he has to follow Bizarro's example and keep trying to do right, no matter what, and goes to take on the big bad guy that was responsible for/controlling Bizarro with a new sense of anger and purpose.

Or something. Whatever. You get the idea.

It such a hilarious bad idea for a film that it just stuck as an ongoing joke.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wasn't that exactly the premise of the Bizarro episode of Superman the Animated Series?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There are plenty of Bizarro stories where he's just trying to help and causing more damage but they don't end with Superman crying as he beats him to death.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

Wasn't that exactly the premise of the Bizarro episode of Superman the Animated Series?

I know Bizarro being an attempted failed Superman clone by Luthor is his New 52 origin, don't know about the rest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

There's an episode where he tries to make a new Krypton or something. He even rescues a trimouthed alien dog (whose face looks like the eggsac openings from Alien) to be his Krypto.

There's also suicidally depressed Bizarro in Moore's What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, where he uses White-K to kill himself because that's the ultimate bizarro thing to do.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

I always liked Kirby's gods because you'd think gods would have all the best technology instead of living like it's the eternal middle ages. Latest issue of Thor kind of bothered me because Odin was using seeing stones or whatever to see Thor on Earth when I know he has space television that can even see into the past, and comes with a sweet sci-fi remote. Go check out the cover to Thor #162.

Asgard has been destroyed and resurrected several times since then, so maybe the space TV technology was lost.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drat, that's probably what happened to the Odinship, Odin's kick rear end spaceship he sent Thor in to chase Galactus, as well. And Odin's overly elaborate space viking armor.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There was an article on Comics Oughta Be Fun! awhile back that just talked about all the crazy hats Kirby put on Odin. Never the same hat twice.

Lurdiak posted:

It's still a little weird to imagine someone shapeshifting a dick out of nowhere just to experiment in the bedroom.

To me it's just that it makes her shapeshifting too good. Like, why doesn't she turn into Cyclops, get his eye beams, and straight murder some fools? Because in a setting where DNA is loving magic, she can't copy DNA. I will always be That Guy when it comes to X-men powers though, I love the weird limits that pop up because of Claremont logic. To my mind, it's the closest American comic to JJBA.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HitTheTargets posted:

There was an article on Comics Oughta Be Fun! awhile back that just talked about all the crazy hats Kirby put on Odin. Never the same hat twice.

To me it's just that it makes her shapeshifting too good. Like, why doesn't she turn into Cyclops, get his eye beams, and straight murder some fools? Because in a setting where DNA is loving magic, she can't copy DNA. I will always be That Guy when it comes to X-men powers though, I love the weird limits that pop up because of Claremont logic. To my mind, it's the closest American comic to JJBA.

Heh. Coincidentally, years ago I used to describe JJBA to people as "X-Men meets Wizard of Oz."

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

HitTheTargets posted:

eye lasers and dicks aren't the same thing.

E: said his tombstone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, he's right. Shapeshifting herself a dick is one thing. Actually being able to impregnate someone would be totally different and be pretty close to just being able to copy anyone else's powers.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

perhaps it was a Melissa Etheridge/ David Crosby situation with Azazel

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

perhaps it was a Melissa Etheridge/ David Crosby situation with Azazel

BAMF through my window, I'll be home soon

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

eye lasers and dicks aren't the same thing.

E: said his tombstone

I love that we live in a world where people think Mystique doing this is fine but fathering a child is too bizarre:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I love that we live in a world where people think Mystique doing this is fine but fathering a child is too bizarre:

No, no, I'd be in the camp that says that growing two heads is too bizarre for "shapeshifter"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

BAMF through my window, I'll be home soon

I'm sitting bored out of my mind and an awards banquet for my girlfriends job and I just scrolled to this and let out an very loud "HuhHaaa!"

So yeah.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

No, he's right. Shapeshifting herself a dick is one thing. Actually being able to impregnate someone would be totally different and be pretty close to just being able to copy anyone else's powers.

I disagree, but we're going down the very dark path of Larry Niven, Jim Shooter, and Chris Claremont. Do we really want to debate the nitty-gritty of how superpowered sex works?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I'm not okay with that.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Where is that from because okay with it or not, I'm intrigued by that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

RandallODim posted:

Where is that from because okay with it or not, I'm intrigued by that.

Mystique had a solo series briefly; it's from that. Sean McKeever, I believe, wrote it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mystique had a solo series briefly; it's from that. Sean McKeever, I believe, wrote it.

Not that briefly. There's two bigass trades of it. BKV had a run on it, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I disagree, but we're going down the very dark path of Larry Niven, Jim Shooter, and Chris Claremont. Do we really want to debate the nitty-gritty of how superpowered sex works?

It has nothing to do with the sex itself. It's her power. At the time she could only change her outward appearance. She might be able to do it now because apparently she's been made stupidly overpowered as per usual, but she used to have limits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

It has nothing to do with the sex itself. It's her power. At the time she could only change her outward appearance. She might be able to do it now because apparently she's been made stupidly overpowered as per usual, but she used to have limits.

Mystique not being Nightcrawler's dad has everything to do with the sex. Editorial didn't shoot it down because of power creep.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She doesn't have plastic skin, she actually shifts around a lot, adding and removing mass. Look at this way, can Mystique look like a person with one hand? If she can then she has to loose and regrow a fairly complex body part. If she can do a thing like that then selecting what genitals she wants is just as reasonable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This conversation is rapidly approaching "Is the Thing's dick orange rock?" levels of uncomfortable/stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think we sailed past that point long ago.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TwoPair posted:

This conversation is rapidly approaching "Is the Thing's dick orange rock?" levels of uncomfortable/stupid.

It got there a long time ago.

Random Stranger posted:

She doesn't have plastic skin, she actually shifts around a lot, adding and removing mass.

Mystique can't gain or lose mass at will only shift the mass she has around. She can look Hulk big but not actually change her weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mystique can look at a dude and then shift her shape to look like him, talk like him, walk like him. She can defeat fingerprint scans, facial recognition, retinal scans. She doesn't have to sample the guy's DNA or anything, she just goes 'you know what, I want to be that guy now' and she is. And people are really getting hung up on the notion that some of that biology might be, y'know, functional?

Seriously?