Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are some good New England-style clam chowder recipes? I haven't had clam chowder in ages, and I've been looking for a recipe to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Yeah, I figured as much, but I was kind of interested in the flavor addition it might bring. Maybe serve it as a condiment? I don't know, this whole cuisine is foreign to me.

File doesn't really taste like much in and of itself -- it's pretty strictly a thickener. Its not completely flavorless, but it's not really going to make your gumbo taste better.

Using file in addition to okra would probably create a nasty texture. I've never even seen a recipe that called for both.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Yeah, I figured as much, but I was kind of interested in the flavor addition it might bring. Maybe serve it as a condiment? I don't know, this whole cuisine is foreign to me.

File powder is something you just put on the table when you serve it, so everyone can add as much as they want. It just thickens poo poo up. Everything else looks good, though! Rock it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

SavTargaryen posted:

File powder is something you just put on the table when you serve it, so everyone can add as much as they want. It just thickens poo poo up. Everything else looks good, though! Rock it.

Good to know about the file' powder... I'll experiment, but I guess keep it simple and don't gently caress up the roux. Thanks everyone

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hawkgirl posted:

Should be edible as-is. I've always eyed that at Trader Joe's, let me know if it's good!

Tried it this morning and didn't care for it -- which surprised me, because it smelled good. I also don't like the other smoked fish I've tried (i.e., salmon), though, so maybe I'm not the best barometer.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What are some good New England-style clam chowder recipes? I haven't had clam chowder in ages, and I've been looking for a recipe to try.

I'm a CIA kid, so I can endorse the clam chowder recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/New-England-Clam-Chowder-243296

Funny story -- when they were opening American Bounty, they needed a clam chowder recipe, so the chefs would have a cookoff every week for the head guy. In the final round of judging, someone snuck in Campbell's clam chowder --- it was #2 (behind this recipe).

Also, some other students on my chowda team modified this recipe with crab, corn, and roasted poblano peppers -- we won the chowder cook-off that year.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have a good socca recipe. Preferably with gram measurements and for an oven with no broiler.

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

I've done this twice now (second time used less cream and more milk). The whole "bake flour + butter" thing was what caught my eye and it really works amazingly. The actual bits that go into the soup can be modified to your tastes:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/967423-Market-Street-Grill-Clam-Chowder

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Someone more knowledgeable on deer than I am, do backstraps slow cook well? Every source I find compares it to filet and good for grilling/broiling but no mention on stewing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

al-azad posted:

Someone more knowledgeable on deer than I am, do backstraps slow cook well? Every source I find compares it to filet and good for grilling/broiling but no mention on stewing.

That would be a bit like stewing a steak or similarly prime cut, dontcha think? Stewing lean meat makes it tough.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 20, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

That would be a bit like stewing a steak or similarly prime cut, dontcha think? Stewing lean meat makes it tough.

You're talking to a totally food-illiterate person but I will put aside my idea for venison chili and turn this into deer-kebobs instead.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

al-azad posted:

You're talking to a totally food-illiterate person but I will put aside my idea for venison chili and turn this into deer-kebobs instead.

Oh, no worries. You're here to learn. Kebobs are great. Venison chilli is usually made with rougher cuts, whatever fat you can get off a deer. Backstrap is prized stuff though. There's a chilli megathread you can take venison chilli questions to. They're the experts.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I need a good, easy chili recipe to make tonight. Beans should be in the recipe :smug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

I need a good, easy chili recipe to make tonight. Beans should be in the recipe :smug:

1 (one) beans
2 (two) sawdust, sifted

mix together.
sprinkle with cheese.
Serve warm.

A quick and tasty thing is from foodwishes. My sister in law made this last week and I liked it.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is a good resource for juicing?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NaanViolence posted:

What is a good resource for juicing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA9Yfpkqek

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

I expected it to be something more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b21MQqHthPs

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really need to stop buying lunch every day. I usually get something cheap, not a sit-down meal or anything, but it's still taking up a significant fraction of my pay. I work out of my car, so I have no fridge or microwave. I'm going to get some ice packs to go in my old lunchbox, but I have no idea what to make besides sandwiches. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that tastes good cold? I was thinking maybe a bean salad, or just a lettuce salad. I'd preferably be making something that I could make several days worth of at a time.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I used to work security and was out of my car a lot, and yeah salads are generally great. Tuna salad is a great option, or hummus+veggie wraps which were my jam for a looong time. Various kinds of hummus and a variety of vegetables would keep it from getting boring and samey too quickly, too. Or, hell, just throw a bunch of meat and vegetables in a tortilla and eat that cold.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really need to stop buying lunch every day. I usually get something cheap, not a sit-down meal or anything, but it's still taking up a significant fraction of my pay. I work out of my car, so I have no fridge or microwave. I'm going to get some ice packs to go in my old lunchbox, but I have no idea what to make besides sandwiches. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that tastes good cold? I was thinking maybe a bean salad, or just a lettuce salad. I'd preferably be making something that I could make several days worth of at a time.

Certain pastas are great at room temperature---pesto pasta especially. Roasted chicken is also delicious cold/room temp. Make a whole roasted chicken then eat it all week with different sides? Make some into chicken salad? Put some on a green salad? A pasta salad?

A lot of roasted veggies are great cold. I love roasted delicata squash cold/warm/hot/every way.

You could also buy a thermos to keep stuff warm!

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Chickpea salad is my favourite! Just roast some bell peppers, chop and toss everything with parsley and balsamic vinaigrette. For variety you can add feta, olives, chicken breasts etc etc. (I use this as a recipe base)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

sharkattack posted:

Certain pastas are great at room temperature---pesto pasta especially. Roasted chicken is also delicious cold/room temp. Make a whole roasted chicken then eat it all week with different sides? Make some into chicken salad? Put some on a green salad? A pasta salad?

A lot of roasted veggies are great cold. I love roasted delicata squash cold/warm/hot/every way.

You could also buy a thermos to keep stuff warm!

Pesto pasta is fantastic, especially if you keep a bottle of good/thick balsamic and add just a touch before you eat it. Delicious. I like penne. I'd avoid the longer noodles if you are eating it cold.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Turkeybone posted:

I'm a CIA kid, so I can endorse the clam chowder recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/New-England-Clam-Chowder-243296

Funny story -- when they were opening American Bounty, they needed a clam chowder recipe, so the chefs would have a cookoff every week for the head guy. In the final round of judging, someone snuck in Campbell's clam chowder --- it was #2 (behind this recipe).

Also, some other students on my chowda team modified this recipe with crab, corn, and roasted poblano peppers -- we won the chowder cook-off that year.

Holy poo poo this looks incredible. Wondering if I can add tiny shrimp to it as well.

And I wanna hear more of these CIA stories.

EDIT: I might drop a little basil and minced celery in there too, since I have some of both.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Is there a difference between beard oil and bath oils? Looks like the same poo poo in different sizes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

icehewk posted:

Is there a difference between beard oil and bath oils? Looks like the same poo poo in different sizes.

In a practical sense, no, in that you shouldn't put either of them on your food

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fatherdog posted:

In a practical sense, no, in that you shouldn't put either of them on your food

Bath salts, on the other hand, make for some exciting times I hear.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

Bath salts, on the other hand, make for some exciting times I hear.

Hobo ala vodka! And it's South Beach aproved!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm making a recipe that calls for two sprigs fresh thyme. I have the dried, bottled stuff. How much should I use?

Edit: I also want to slow-cook and shred some pork or beef, what cuts should I be looking for for that?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm making a recipe that calls for two sprigs fresh thyme. I have the dried, bottled stuff. How much should I use?

Edit: I also want to slow-cook and shred some pork or beef, what cuts should I be looking for for that?

A big pinch.

Chuck or brisket for beef, shoulder or butt for pork

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Anybody have a good barley stew recipe? Preferably vegetarian, not beef, especially because it's snowy as hell and I don't have any meat. I do have some beans (canned and dried) of various types if necessary.

I used to have a bangin' recipe, but I lost it and it was from a years-ago ex I don't talk to anymore. I miss that recipe :(

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

guppy posted:

Anybody have a good barley stew recipe? Preferably vegetarian, not beef, especially because it's snowy as hell and I don't have any meat. I do have some beans (canned and dried) of various types if necessary.

I used to have a bangin' recipe, but I lost it and it was from a years-ago ex I don't talk to anymore. I miss that recipe :(

I love barley soup, and never follow a recipe. Cook beans until partially done, add barley and herbs and a mirepoix/herb combination, then cook until done. I usually don't use beef and instead add lentils and beans.

For flavor profile, I usually go for thyme, caraway, dill, maybe a touch of fennel or anise. Bay, too. Garlic, and loads of it, is mandatory. If you are up to it, roast a head of garlic and stir that in toward the end.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I really like the texture and flavor of chia seeds in drinks. This stuff, for example, is disgusting, but I'll happily pay $4 for it and slurp it down because of the chia seeds. Recently I tried rehydrating my own seeds, but they don't seem to get as large and gel-like as the ones in the drink I linked, even though I soaked them in water for a good couple of hours. I was using pretty old seeds that had been sitting in the back of my cupboard for a while.

Do I just need to soak them longer, was the age the problem, or is there some other trick that I'm missing?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You can drink chia seeds? What the gently caress? Why? :psyduck:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Not sure about chia seeds, but I know Basil seeds tend to puff up a lot, it may be something to look into in the future if you want something new.

Could it be the temperature? As in try some hotter water perhaps. And it can't hurt to just leave some laying around overnight to see if that helps as well.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

How else can you get a days worth of non-animal derived omega fatty acids in 30 seconds?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Happiness Commando posted:

How else can you get a days worth of non-animal derived omega fatty acids in 30 seconds?

Even with chia seeds you don't. The conversion rate of ALA (vegetable omega 3) to DHA / EPA (the kind a human body uses) is ridiculously low.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

It's like jello with a light crunch. The appeal is impossible to explain and it's something that you either love or hate.

I'll give the longer, hotter soak a shot! I hadn't thought of basil seeds, but I'll give them a try if I see them somewhere.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What's the deal with swai? Epicurious is my usual go-to for recipes and it's literally giving me no results when I search for "swai". A cursory Google search got some Chowhound results saying "OMG do not buy this" but for reasons, which the comments illustrate, political and whether it's kosher or not, so I'm.getting any answers there. I just want some fish tonight, dammit.

tl; dr: I bought a bag of frozen swai at Save-a-lot because I am broke and wanted cheap seafood. Any suggestions on how to prepare it? I have 2 lemons, some cilantro, and one helluva spice cabinet.

Swai can be yummy. Treat it like what it is, catfish.

I thaw fillets like that, splash with lime and top with salt, black pepper and a tiny bit of cayenne then 15m at 400f. Can do asparagus at same time and temp for a quick meal.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My girlfriend loving loves chia seeds, drinks gloppy chia drinks all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there a crock-pot/slow-cooker thread somewhere? Husband and I are trying to find some diet-friendly* recipes online and every time I think I find something promising that sounds yummy, the comments are all over the place about how it's good/bad, watery, needs more/less time, etc.

If no thread, I'd love suggestions of either specific recipes or whole sites you like to pull from. :)

*not a specific diet, mostly just a "let's cut some calories because we're getting jiggly"-diet.