Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Drythe posted:

Welp. I made a Gore Insect Glaive after having materials left over from my Charge Blade, I hate this drat weapon. I can't get the red juice at all on like...anyone.

You need to upgrade your bug. There's a reason there's so few glaive users in LR and the first HR quest rankings, and it's because their bugs are really slow so they drop it (they came into the game thinking "oh it'll be just like the demo oh man I'm so good" and hahaha no).

I'm currently rocking the Le Tranquer form of the glaive (it's the last upgrade you can do with HR parts) and following the formula to get the double essence bug I have 114 speed right now and I can nail essences pretty much whenever I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

dragon enthusiast posted:

Dalamadur is a cool fight but he kinda has that Ceadus-like "I'm not sure if I want to be farming this nonstop for carves" quality to him, especially since he has like a zillion breaks.

I just made a gun with three buzzsaws and two laser sights on it. Dalamadur is a Good Monster.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do the shops ever sell potions? And what do I need to make bomb casing? I thought it was ivy and stone, but nope

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drythe posted:

Welp. I made a Gore Insect Glaive after having materials left over from my Charge Blade, I hate this drat weapon. I can't get the red juice at all on like...anyone.

Steps to get red essence:

1. Walk up to monster's face.
2. Throw bug.
3. Call bug back.
4. Receive bug juice.

Also works for things like Zinogre's front claws and a few other things like that, plus certain small monsters. But, yeah. Point-blank attacking with your kinsect really helps early on, before it gets any speed, and is honestly probably the most reliable way to get essence from most monsters even as the game goes on and your bug isn't slower than you are.

Anyway, general juice zones:

Red: Head and some other things monsters attack with, like the aforementioned front claws, but (almost?) never the tail.
White: Usually legs, sometimes wings. Things monsters move with, basically.
Orange: The body, sometimes things monsters guard with like the Queen Seltas' face claw things. Also sometimes the tail or at least part of it for some reason.
Green: The tail, miscellaneous places (I think on Nerscylla, part of its abdomen is orange while another part is green and I haven't quite figured out where the division is but I've gotten both from it).

And, again, small monsters always have one, and particularly for red and orange it can help a lot to snag a buff from them rather than the big monster if they're in the area or the area before the large monster. Completing your triple-buff with a random monster mid-fight and going to town on the big thing rocks.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 22, 2015

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Do the shops ever sell potions? And what do I need to make bomb casing? I thought it was ivy and stone, but nope

Shops sell potions at about 4* for caravan or hr3 in guild. Bomb casing is sap plant and stone or iron ore.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I enjoy almost all the weapons, I want them all :(

Except HBG, who uses that thing.

The GFaqs board feels like a cessboard for this game (look sometimes I get bored and lurk it, don't judge). Why do they all cry about the Longsword needing buffed? It seems like a fun and cool weapon

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 22, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Rascyc posted:

Except HBG, who uses that thing

People who have Sneak, good teammates, and love being able to unleash hell without moving.

Edit: I'm almost to Dalamadur and have used literally nothing but Charge Blade. I REALLY love this thing, and I know I'm gimping the poo poo out of myself in some ways by not diversifying, but it's so drat fun.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

Rathalos did his flying poison talon attack at me, I did a perfect guard point and the burst knocked him out of the sky right into a shock trap.

Gotcha bitch. :smug:

I guard pointed a Gravios hipcheck and it died

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh my god. if you haven't dismissed a palico yet, try it out.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Awesome! posted:

oh my god. if you haven't dismissed a palico yet, try it out.

I dismissed them through the dismiss at the end of a mission originally so I missed it but then I did it at home ... I couldn't do it at first. When I finally did it I died a little inside...

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I went to my house and there was a Felyne with an afro rooting through my item box, when he stopped I talked to him and he said we was looking for a Felyne with the funkiest hairdo in the land. :stare: Then he walked out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

G-Prime posted:

People who have Sneak, good teammates, and love being able to unleash hell without moving.

Edit: I'm almost to Dalamadur and have used literally nothing but Charge Blade. I REALLY love this thing, and I know I'm gimping the poo poo out of myself in some ways by not diversifying, but it's so drat fun.
Decided to watch the gaijin tutorial video for HBG and even he straight up said something like "I'm surprised anyone uses the HBG after trying it out in the tutorial" because the tutorial HBG is so unbelievably junk.

I'll try it again. My friends are telling me the HBG is the preferred but not required solo gun over LBG so I'll take a harder look at it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jesus christ Zinogre is completely batshit why would nature allow something like this :gonk:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Jesus christ Zinogre is completely batshit why would nature allow something like this :gonk:

Enraged, charged, and infected Zinogre is about the scariest damned thing I've ever seen in this series, he's completely nuts. I love it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Pheace posted:

I dismissed them through the dismiss at the end of a mission originally so I missed it but then I did it at home ... I couldn't do it at first. When I finally did it I died a little inside...

I just couldn't do it, I ended up exclusively dismissing them through the end mission interface or by sending them off to friends. When you decide to keep them after almost dismissing them though...incredible...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I enjoy almost all the weapons, I want them all :(

The GFaqs board feels like a cessboard for this game (look sometimes I get bored and lurk it, don't judge). Why do they all cry about the Longsword needing buffed? It seems like a fun and cool weapon

GameFAQs has been a breeding ground for idiots for years, as penance for taking anything those idiots seriously you must deliver 10 powderstones in MH3. The LS is fine. If you can get to the red spirit blade quickly you'll be dropping monsters faster than IGs.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 22, 2015

korofrog
Dec 15, 2006
smell my face!!!
Hey guys, I'm being a bit lazy and was just wondering if there was a doc of some sort to exchange NNIDs for some online hunting? I haven't even tried the online stuff in MH4 so I'm not even sure it's using NNIDs.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I thought I'd give the greatsword a try after ignoring it in MH3. I looked at the weapon tree and it gave me anxiety. Are there certain weapons I should aim for so I don't waste time trying to craft greatswords that aren't very good?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

horchata posted:

I thought I'd give the greatsword a try after ignoring it in MH3. I looked at the weapon tree and it gave me anxiety. Are there certain weapons I should aim for so I don't waste time trying to craft greatswords that aren't very good?

Craft the one with the most raw damage. The Greatsword is all about dealing 1 atomic-bomb of a charged hit.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

korofrog posted:

Hey guys, I'm being a bit lazy and was just wondering if there was a doc of some sort to exchange NNIDs for some online hunting? I haven't even tried the online stuff in MH4 so I'm not even sure it's using NNIDs.

Get on the IRC (#monsterhunter on irc.synirc.net), groups get formed ad-hoc in there.

e:V Close range affects both your melee and your arrows, it just gives them an extra damage multiplier when you're close.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 22, 2015

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Gore Magala roadblock. I'm almost there but nottt quite. Right now I'm trying to get him using Kut-Ku armor and Coiled Nail. Any tips, either on equipment or the fight itself, that could help?

Unrelated question, about bows: does close range coating only affect the melee attack, or is it useful for bow types which attack at close range also, like spread?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Have you tried the mixed Kut-Ku/Velociprey set? I think you lose a small amount of defense but being able to gem in Attack Up L may be worth it. How far into the fight are you able to get?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Epsilon Plus posted:

Have you tried the mixed Kut-Ku/Velociprey set? I think you lose a small amount of defense but being able to gem in Attack Up L may be worth it. How far into the fight are you able to get?

I can't be sure exactly, but I seemed to fare okay at first - got him to run away twice, to the bleak-looking nesty area up top. Things go downhill for me sharply after he knocks me out the first time and I lose my big health buff from the kitchen.

Maybe I'll look into that set.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Do I need better gems (the ones I can craft now are +1 to attack) or do I need to do better math? I can craft these sets right now but can only get to +18 Atrack skill

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I'm enejoying the Longsword so much more than the Insect Glaive because I can't stand the Glaive's shoot phase. I feel like this makes me bad. Am I wrong?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Space Hamlet posted:

I can't be sure exactly, but I seemed to fare okay at first - got him to run away twice, to the bleak-looking nesty area up top. Things go downhill for me sharply after he knocks me out the first time and I lose my big health buff from the kitchen.

Maybe I'll look into that set.

bring max potions if a small health bar is killing you. try and stay towards his back legs

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

quaunaut posted:

I'm enejoying the Longsword so much more than the Insect Glaive because I can't stand the Glaive's shoot phase. I feel like this makes me bad. Am I wrong?

Nope. Not all weapons are made for everyone. I thought I'd love the dual swords and couldn't stand them and even tried to force it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You guys were right about the CB's shield-stab -> Amped Burst combo. It's super easy to do (literally just press any sword attack, then X+A twice!) and relatively quick, it makes it a lot easier to get away with fudging the timing on attack windows or getting a quick Element Up buff in.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Nope. Not all weapons are made for everyone. I thought I'd love the dual swords and couldn't stand them and even tried to force it.

This is how I feel about dual swords. Once you find a weapon or two that click with you, you'll be unstoppable.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Rascyc posted:

Uh my gun has a radome why wouldn't you use this? But I don't get LBGs. HBG is a thrown hammer, bow is great for mobile busting. Where does the LBG fit in?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Sard posted:

Uh my gun has a radome why wouldn't you use this? But I don't get LBGs. HBG is a thrown hammer, bow is great for mobile busting. Where does the LBG fit in?

LBG is for elements and status. I almost always prefer HBG, but rapid fire is really good for element and status ammo because of the way the multiplier works. You can get one to two extra effects in before you run out of ammo.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is the chance that a weapon will hit with an affinity bonus, or penalty as the case may be? Should I worry about it much?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just in case anyone doesn't know: Do all of the low rank quests, don't leave them aside. They unlock a lot of cool stuff.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

What is the chance that a weapon will hit with an affinity bonus, or penalty as the case may be? Should I worry about it much?

Affinity is shown as a percent chance on the weapon's stat page. I'm not sure if that percentage is modified at all by weapon type but I'm pretty sure it's not. I personally don't like using negative affinity weapons unless I have Critical Eye, or Critical Draw and its a GS.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Celery Face posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't know: Do all of the low rank quests, don't leave them aside. They unlock a lot of cool stuff.

When you say low rank you mean the caravan quests, right? I do all the ones that are from npcs but I do have a few I haven't done yet.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm at 50 hours played so far in 4u, (I know, I'm slacking) and I just got my first plate today. I've gotten two gems total, both bird wyvern gems. I'm being punished for my 3u character, who had more earth dragongems than he had jhen mohran fights. And I fought a lot of mohrans.

EDIT: ^^^ Low rank means the lowest tier of monster strength, so he means both 1-3* gathering hall and 1-5* caravan quests.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Huh, I thought the percentage shown was the bonus, not the chance. Must have misread.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Unlucky7 posted:

Bussamove posted:

Affinity is shown as a percent chance on the weapon's stat page. I'm not sure if that percentage is modified at all by weapon type but I'm pretty sure it's not. I personally don't like using negative affinity weapons unless I have Critical Eye, or Critical Draw and its a GS.

To clarify on this, affinity isn't the bonus itself, it's the chance to hit a fixed bonus. That being a 25% increase in damage for the attack.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

When you say low rank you mean the caravan quests, right? I do all the ones that are from npcs but I do have a few I haven't done yet.
I meant the caravan quests. I did a few of the advanced ones (same rank as Shagura) after beating Monoblos and unlocked low rank Brachydios, an upgrade to Sunsnug Isle and some more quests.

Unlucky7 posted:

Fake Edit: now that I think about it I did get an Everwood urgent quest after completing one of my other quests. Is this the type of stuff we are talking about?
Pretty much.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, going back to quests: So there are some quests that are not instigated by NPCs that are tied to unlocks?

Fake Edit: now that I think about it I did get an Everwood urgent quest after completing one of my other quests. Is this the type of stuff we are talking about?

• Locked thread