Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Just turn off your brain" is a 100% reliable signal that you are dealing with a mouth breathing moron and can completely disregard anything that follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that's bothered me is that my brain is telling me that not just a couple weeks ago, it was cold weather. Now it's apparently really hot. Yeah, I get "Georgia weather" but Beth just died what seems like a couple days, at most a couple weeks, ago and I swear I remember it being cold.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I turned my brain off the other day and couldn't see poo poo due to my visual cortex being part of my brain.
Didn't really make me appreciate the episode any better, it was still boring.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I watch this show whenever I feel like during the week. It's a zombie show, not terrible but not particularly good but I enjoy it for the most part. Well that's my story, sorry it wasn't 3 paragraphs on why a zombie tv show (based on comic books no less) sucks or isn't realistic enough.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
You dicks baited me with this thread title and I went ahead and got caught up. You owe me 2 hours of my life.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Be sure to spend dozens more posting about it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bug Hug posted:

You dicks baited me with this thread title and I went ahead and got caught up. You owe me 2 hours of my life.

There is no escape.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Surlaw posted:

Be sure to spend dozens more posting about it.

Don't forget to be pointlessly aggressive that every detail isn't meticulously vetted for the utmost logical consistency and lash out at people who say that may not be necessary to enjoy the program.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PaganGoatPants posted:

There is no escape.

Well, unless there's a tornado.

Or other Act of God.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Spoeank posted:

Don't forget to be pointlessly aggressive that every detail isn't meticulously vetted for the utmost logical consistency and lash out at people who say that may not be necessary to enjoy the program.

How could you be this loving wrong?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bug Hug posted:

You registered in 2002 and you don't understand how thread titles work.

Maybe it's you. You are the posting dead.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

a cop posted:

They walk right passed people when they're under cars. They've been shown to be attracted to stimuli - particularly noise (helicopter flying overhead). There was a TORNADO OUTSIDE.

And there was a fire inside, a light source that i'm sure would shine pretty well through the gapped planking on the door. But hey, that's not consistent.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

This is from a page or two back, but I dunno that this show going religious would really hurt it. In case you guys haven't overheard people outside the internet talking about it, middle America loving loooooves this show. Hicks love zombie poo poo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Stickarts posted:

How could you be this loving wrong?

How could you be this loving angry at entertainment. If it doesn't entertain you don't watch it. It's not that loving difficult. Half this loving thread is people arguing about who is angrier about how much they hate this show.

:siren: NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO WATCH THIS SHOW :siren:

I swear to God half the logical inconsistencies people argue about are more logical than someone watching a show they absolutely hate.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 22, 2015

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Pharmaskittle posted:

This is from a page or two back, but I dunno that this show going religious would really hurt it. In case you guys haven't overheard people outside the internet talking about it, middle America loving loooooves this show.

I'm not sure that the use of religious symbolism necessarily requires or even suggests endorsement of the tenets of the symbolized religion. Between this and a couple of other posts it seems like the use of any supernatural symbolism (outside of the walking dead themselves) is considered either intellectually dishonest or a pandering attempt to hoodwink religious zealots into watching the zombie show. Am I misreading this?

Because the premise of the dead walking the earth is like... pretty deeply rooted in several forms of religion, folklore, and mysticism.

Spoeank posted:

Nobody is forcing you to make stagnant posts on the internet but here we are.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Nah, I didn't go back for the post but I remember someone mentioned the idea of them straight up saying "God did it," which is what I was talking about. Baby's first bible lit class Christian themes are basically inescapable in American fiction, so they're barely worth examining or much less taking issue with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"God did it" can be a very interesting and intellectually stimulating plot device since it introduces the question "but why?"

Having Christian symbolism or outright religious elements doesn't make something an endorsement. I highly doubt there are many, or any, mainstream Christians who think Philip K. Dick's later work is awesome - and he wasn't even being anti-Christian, just being Gnostic.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If that's the case, God is a huge, capricious rear end in a top hat.
The time for divine intervention would have been before Tyrese died...before Beth died...or oh I dunno, how about preventing the zombie apocalypse?!

I don't see how anyone - character or viewer - could feel good that this particular remaining band of atheists and murderers was saved by a deity after billions have been wiped out.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 22, 2015

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Nobody wants this show to pull a "because God"

At least I hope not

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In unrelated news, Ronald D. Moore has been hired as Executive Producer and showrunner for season 7.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Binary Logic posted:

The time for divine intervention would have been before Tyrese died...before Beth died...or oh I dunno, how about preventing the zombie apocalypse?!

I don't see how anyone - character or viewer - could feel good that this particular remaining band of atheists and murderers was saved by a deity after billions have been wiped out.
Old Testament God's a pretty scary monster who wipes out humanity. His stuff with Job's pretty cruel too.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Spoeank posted:

How could you be this loving angry at entertainment. If it doesn't entertain you don't watch it. It's not that loving difficult. Half this loving thread is people arguing about who is angrier about how much they hate this show.

I swear to God half the logical inconsistencies people argue about are more logical than someone watching a show they absolutely hate.

Still wrong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hate this show but I enjoy the act of hating it so therefore I keep watching it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Big Bug Hug posted:

Go back and re-watch Tyrese's (large black man with beanie) fever dream sequence and Mika (one of the crazy blonde-haired, white zombie feeders in his dream) says, "its better now". Someone changed the title to that quote after that episode and in no way is indicative of the show's quality.

I've really been hoping for a new "who's feeding the zombies?" or "who pulled the alarm?"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Who stabbed Beth?

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

HonorableTB posted:

You know, this episode wasn't all that bad because I'm not a loving sperglord who is incapable of suspension of disbelief in a zombie show. Seriously people, it's a loving pulp tv show about zombies, just turn your brains off for 45 minutes and just watch it. It doesn't need super in depth analysis because this show is not Breaking Bad and never claimed to be.

My thoughts on the episode:

- I thought the despondency and depression angle is a good one. The group has had two really traumatic experiences (on top of the survival situation being intensely traumatic to begin with) back to back. They need time to work through the emotional and mental issues caused by it. They need time to talk about their losses and experience the sadness and depression caused by losing two important group members (important in the sense of the characters, not the show itself). I was totally okay with the irrationality being displayed because as much as we the viewers may be, the show characters are not beep boop robots with no emotional attachments.

- The barn scene was confusing, but I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure whether or not it was a dream sequence, but maybe it'll get answered at some point. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world because I still got some very good moments of tension and anxiety out of wondering whether the doors would hold or whether someone would get bitten through the gap. I also liked Darryl's "Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress" reaction when he tightened the chains keeping the door closed. The aftermath the next morning was pretty bizarre, because I didn't know what happened. I lived in the South and recognize tornado clouds, but it was still really strange to see all the busted pine trees and such. The addition of a pine tree hitting a section of the barn would've been nice, but whatever, this is the show that had the group lowering Glenn into a well to act as zombie bait so gently caress it.

- I loved the addition of humanity's natural enemies - hunger and thirst. This group hasn't been shown to really experience those dangers since they have several very experienced trackers/scavengers and people with forestry skills that can reliably find food and water. I like how the show nullified those skills by placing a natural obstacle (drought) that added a lot of thematic tension and it gave the episode a very real sense of urgency and danger despite the characters seemingly plodding around aimlessly towards DC.

- I liked the reaction of Abraham towards Eugene when Eugene tried drinking the water. It makes me want the show to further explore the group's dynamics towards Eugene and how they're dealing with him in the aftermath of Eugene's revelation that the cure was a lie. We haven't really seen anyone interact with him since Abraham beat him senseless in front of the herd; I want to see if they're acting more guarded around him, or treating him like poo poo or something. Abraham possibly saving Eugene from the poisoned water was a good step towards showing the audience that even if the group has problems with each other, they're still in it together and they look out for each other. Whether or not the group likes Eugene anymore at this point (or if they ever have, really), he's still "one of them" and they'll protect each other.

yeah you aren't a sperglord agreedo

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hakkesshu posted:

I hate this show but I enjoy the act of hating it so therefore I keep watching it.

Pretty much the mantra of this thread.

Can't wait for the spin off walking dead show to start up... either it's way better or its another show to hate watch. Either way I win.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is hate watching a show like being one of those people who gets aroused from being pooped on?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

precision posted:

Is hate watching a show like being one of those people who gets aroused from being pooped on?

There's nothing else to do on a Sunday night but pay a stranger to poo on your chest.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'd actually love for the zombie apocalypse to be the result of an angry, capricious Old Testament God because at that point, there is literally no hope for anyone still left alive.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Guys you don't have to hate on each other. We can all hatewatch the show in harmony, and threads can get pretty entertaining.

Ex: Falling Skies

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Binary Logic posted:

Not a big reader of the bible, i take it? God is an rear end in a top hat and this is completely in line with some bullshit he'd pull

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Tailored Sauce posted:

Guys you don't have to hate on each other. We can all hatewatch the show in harmony, and threads can get pretty entertaining.

Ex: Falling Skies

If people who Hate Watch are funny I've got no beef with it anywhere. This thread's hate watching is just really dull and directionless.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Surlaw posted:

If people who Hate Watch are funny I've got no beef with it anywhere. This thread's hate watching is just really dull and directionless.

Just like the show, right?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Surlaw posted:

What lazy criticism.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

precision posted:

You are the posting dead.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So is the new buddy water guy from the comics?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

So is the new buddy water guy from the comics?

Ya he's a gay cowboy who's recruiting for a legit society and it turns out that rick's group's experiences w/ megalomaniacs & nothing making sense has them too on guard to rejoin society so they arent allowed in or some poo poo!!! gently caress!!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

Ya he's a gay cowboy who's recruiting for a legit society and it turns out that rick's group's experiences w/ megalomaniacs & nothing making sense has them too on guard to rejoin society so they arent allowed in or some poo poo!!! gently caress!!

I was jokingly thinking that Rick would murder them all out of paranoia. Guess I wasn't too far off. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Did we ever find out what the scientist said to rick?

• Locked thread