Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Eldar used to come together on skulls all the time but that didn't exactly work out very well for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Hodgepodge posted:

I think the flesh and literal skulls are more a chaos thing. Loyalists go in more for a nice sculptured steel skull look.
I dunno, sometimes you just wanna take the head of the lamprey xeno you slew and fix it on your bolter, you know?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
That's almost definitely the head from the Chaos Marine he's stood on, so it's even worse since it's got chaos stars and poo poo on it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Orks are pro skull, thus reinforcing that Orks are the best.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Orks are pro skull, thus reinforcing that Orks are the best.

Orks are also sufficiently more advanced in skull technology than the other factions. After all, not only are Boss Poles pretty boss, but they also reinforce the idea to every other Ork that you are, indeed, The Boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Except maybe Eldar and tyranids I guess, but they're they lamest and don't care about flair, respectively.

The Eldar like skulls, too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Spess marine: The skull is the perfect symbol of the emperor's sacrifice.

Khornate: Skulls for the skull throne!

Ork: Dis skulls look hella killy on me gargant!

Tyranid: #They make the most delightful crunchy sounds#

Eldar: Eeew, figures you primitive screwheads would like corpse parts.

D.Eldar: <Grins>

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Scrunt: Oyyyeeea skullks on fingses best fink.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Imagine an enterprising Rogue Trader buying the severed, still-activated head of a Necron and using it like a codpiece.

++++KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME.++++

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CitrusFrog posted:

Imagine an enterprising Rogue Trader buying the severed, still-activated head of a Necron and using it like a codpiece.

++++KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME.++++

Or a Warboss.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Or a Scrunt.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Headless mutant buys two severed necron heads, one he wears as a hat/head, one he wears as a codpiece.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE! :black101: My mic was making GBS threads out because Time Warner is a terrible company. However, the the group went on their merry way and arrived at an Imperial Agri-world and posed as the Inquisition and demanded the tithe. The corpulent governor wasn't the brightest sort, and was absolutely terrified by the strange folks with black ships and power armor and followed through. For a plan so fraught with peril, it went off without a hitch. Their hold is filled with thousands of tons of frozen grox meat, they have 2 dozen psykers, and more heretics that were slated for execution that have been "encouraged" to join the rest of the crew. It's a good day to be a pirate.

Now their plan is to head to a larger world and pull off the same thing. While littering the atmosphere with D-dust. This may or may not turn out poorly.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Ya know, I cn't think of a single way to worse piss off the Imperium than by loving with the tithe. Good job.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cythereal posted:

The Eldar like skulls, too.

Harlequin Death Jester's make their armor from the bones of their predecessor. That's pretty :black101:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ronwayne posted:

Ya know, I cn't think of a single way to worse piss off the Imperium than by loving with the tithe. Good job.

Absolutely! We'll have created problems six months down the road when then actual Inquisition gets there.

Normally, I'd be worried.

...Were it not for the fact that we're battle-hardened BAMFs who have already taken a Black Ship as their own, reside in a xenotech station of unfathomable power, and have six months of lead time to train the psykers we tithed in the ways of Tzeentch. Not only that, but we're rounding up heretics for 'execution' under the guise of the Inquisition and then they find out that we're all actually THE REAL DEAL when it comes to being Chaos.

Finally, even if they board our ship, they really don't want to go into the lower holds. We have nasty things living in the pipes that even an entire band of Orks couldn't clean out. We don't bother with them any more because the fact that we have Murder Servitors living in our pipes is starting to become a feature, not a drawback.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Ronwayne posted:

It's pretty entertaining being the GM for this group. They really want to be evil, but there's a lot of bickering about the best way to do it. And then the fact that they're utterly incompetent when it comes time to roll dice.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

It's pretty entertaining being the GM for this group. They really want to be evil, but there's a lot of bickering about the best way to do it. And then the fact that they're utterly incompetent when it comes time to roll dice.

Not as incompetent as that Inquisitor's Psyker, who promptly had to roll Perils on his Precognitive Dodge and ended up becoming a Daemonhost!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Did he say "sorry I'm late to the party, guys"? :cenobite:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Did he say "sorry I'm late to the party, guys"? :cenobite:

He literally made himself a couch out of corpses to crash on while we made our way to the nearest Chaos port before he got off there. Since he was a Tzeentchian daemon, I used that as a pretext for my Psyker's inevitable slide towards aligning with Tzeentch.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Also, I want to create a Deathwatch campaign sometime in the near future. The working title is: The Last Crusade of the Marines Errant. The overall objective will be to locate the flagship of the Red Corsairs (and consequently Huron Blackheart) and sink it. Naturally this is taking place sometime after the Fall of Vilamus, when the Marines Errant have confronted their chapter's sudden mortality and decided that the best way to go out is to take their hated enemy down with them.

(Of course, it might still be possible to recover the Marines Errant's geneseed from their hated enemy as well...)

Preference will be given to Marines Errant Marines. Chapter selection will be limited to those Chapters that participated in the Badab War, since they have a vested interest in finishing what they started. Players would start at Rank 4, but would not have Deathwatch Training. Instead, they would have Hatred (Red Corsairs) or I would just replace the effect of Deathwatch Training with auto-confirming Righteous Fury on CSMs.

Not sure if I want to run this in-person or PbP. The general structure of the campaign would have similar pacing to the Dawn of War II mission scheme - players would be given a selection of potential targets, with Primary targets furthering the campaign (in other words, discovering clues or gathering evidence hinting at the current location of the Red Corsair's fleet in the Maelstrom) and Secondary targets granting advantages that make Primary targets easier to accomplish, like Relics for the party or perhaps freeing up some Imperial Navy forces to orbitally bombard the target (would reduce the Magnitude of enemy Hordes, decrease the number of Elites that the party would have to muck through, eliminate the enemy's heavy fire support like denying them access to Defilers or other Daemon Engines).

Either way, would need to be very clear about the impact certain objectives would have on the gamescape. Let me know if you all have any suggestions!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ashcans posted:

Harlequin Death Jester's make their armor from the bones of their predecessor. That's pretty :black101:

That is neither a Harlequin nor a Death Jester, that is Maugan Ra :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

S.J. posted:

I think it's from the new Harlequin codex as Death Jester art, actually. At least, that was the context it was posted in in the main 40k thread.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

S.J. posted:

I was posting that in the context of 'Eldar like skulls', not identifying that picture. I guess I should have been clearer, instead of relying on my avatar for eldar cred.

Although seriously, why does Maugan Ra look so much like a Death Jester, anyway? His Maugetar is even a Shuriken Cannon varient, instead of the missile launchers the Dark Reapers have always been modeled with:

(This is a Death Jester)

(Dark Reaper, circa Maugan Ra's creation)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Also, I want to create a Deathwatch campaign sometime in the near future. The working title is: The Last Crusade of the Marines Errant. The overall objective will be to locate the flagship of the Red Corsairs (and consequently Huron Blackheart) and sink it. Naturally this is taking place sometime after the Fall of Vilamus, when the Marines Errant have confronted their chapter's sudden mortality and decided that the best way to go out is to take their hated enemy down with them.

(Of course, it might still be possible to recover the Marines Errant's geneseed from their hated enemy as well...)

Preference will be given to Marines Errant Marines. Chapter selection will be limited to those Chapters that participated in the Badab War, since they have a vested interest in finishing what they started. Players would start at Rank 4, but would not have Deathwatch Training. Instead, they would have Hatred (Red Corsairs) or I would just replace the effect of Deathwatch Training with auto-confirming Righteous Fury on CSMs.

Not sure if I want to run this in-person or PbP. The general structure of the campaign would have similar pacing to the Dawn of War II mission scheme - players would be given a selection of potential targets, with Primary targets furthering the campaign (in other words, discovering clues or gathering evidence hinting at the current location of the Red Corsair's fleet in the Maelstrom) and Secondary targets granting advantages that make Primary targets easier to accomplish, like Relics for the party or perhaps freeing up some Imperial Navy forces to orbitally bombard the target (would reduce the Magnitude of enemy Hordes, decrease the number of Elites that the party would have to muck through, eliminate the enemy's heavy fire support like denying them access to Defilers or other Daemon Engines).

Either way, would need to be very clear about the impact certain objectives would have on the gamescape. Let me know if you all have any suggestions!

I want to play

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Gaghskull posted:

Seriously. Rollin against 81 tech use, THE ONE ROLL I THOUGHT WAS A SURE THING, i got an 87.

I must have some lingering doubts about my abilities after I built that flamethrower that blew up and covered me in burning promethium.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I think it's from the new Harlequin codex as Death Jester art, actually. At least, that was the context it was posted in in the main 40k thread.

Definitely Maugan Ra. He's way too beefy for a Death Jester.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

S.J. posted:

Definitely Maugan Ra. He's way too beefy for a Death Jester.

40k wiki agrees with you, fair enough. Still good to know the Eldar can get their skulls on when they want.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Please use art from older editions when illustrating this point thanks.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

hard counter posted:

Are those normal eldar or Dark Eldar, because some of them seem really drat dark.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I really love that this thread and the byob 40k megathread are slowly becoming basically the same. I'm not being sarcastic. It's the best.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Werix posted:

Are those normal eldar or Dark Eldar, because some of them seem really drat dark.

loving harlequins, man.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Werix posted:

Dark Eldar didn't exist back then. They were introduced with 3rd edition.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

S.J. posted:

Dark Eldar didn't exist back then. They were introduced with 3rd edition.

Weren't they 2e? Tau were the 3e addition.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Tau were mid-Third, Deldar were early third and Necron's, while technically released as a Chapter Approved for 2nd, were designed around 3rd as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FireSight posted:

Weren't they 2e? Tau were the 3e addition.

No, their first models were released in the 3e starter vs Ultramarines. I wanna say Tau came along ~3 years later. There were generic 'Eldar Corsairs/Pirates' before that but nothing specifically dark eldar, just people who weren't part of the Craftworlds and their fleets.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

I really love that this thread and the byob 40k megathread are slowly becoming basically the same. I'm not being sarcastic. It's the best.

The former gbs ham thread is the best thread and introduced me to this thread which I like this one bc of the focus on roleplay games.

God bless.

Scrunts for the Scrunt God

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

hard counter posted:

Space Elf Clowns are amazing, and this picture is all the proof you need that anyone who didn't play Eldar in 2nd edition was a chump. The mohawks, the studded codpieces, using every color in the current GW paint line, what's not to love.

I am going to tell you that those checkerboard patterns are a mother-fucker to paint, though.

S.J. posted:

No, their first models were released in the 3e starter vs Ultramarines. I wanna say Tau came along ~3 years later. There were generic 'Eldar Corsairs/Pirates' before that but nothing specifically dark eldar, just people who weren't part of the Craftworlds and their fleets.

To expand, in 2nd edition there were Eldar Corsairs who were basically sick of the regimented life and hosed off to enjoy themselves in space. There wasn't much information on these groups, but they ranged from simply banished Craftworlders (like Yriel) to regular space pirates to those that were implied to have kind of fallen off the deep end and were flirting with chaos. But none of them were really pictured as being all the way into spikey-death as Dark Eldar, and there was none of the torturing people to feed Slaanesh or whatever. Also no crazy webway cities to lurk in, just roaming fleets.

2e also had Eldar Exodites, who were basically Eldar who had decided that all this bondage sex was getting out of control before the fall and decided that they should abandon their decadent civilization and return to a hard life living off the land. They were basically Eldar survivalists/doomsday preppers, only it turns out they were right all along! Suck it, Eldar who mocked them on reality TV. Of course, this bening GW, it wasn't enough that they were feral Eldar, they also rode dinosaurs:

The fact that we never got official models for Feral Space Elf Dinosaur Riders is one of the great injustices of our time.

Although if you are still actually knee-deep in the hobby, there are enough plastic kits from Fantasy that you could put together a pretty good force these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Considering all the talk lately of all the kid armies getting rules again on top of a new range for WHFB maybe we'll get a Lizardman/Exodite codex.