Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Whew, finally made it to the caravan Gore. Now I can farm those feelers in safety.

I wish I could get a Chilling Beak, though. I'm not after the LR S+1 set, I just heard the Najarala HBG was good and I think that's what I'll need to see it in the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What's this "formula" for bug growth? What should I be planning for, even though I'm still low rank?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

What's this "formula" for bug growth? What should I be planning for, even though I'm still low rank?

Don't worry too hard untill you get the high rank food. Speed is usually good, stamina is usually worthless. You can just get another bug when you want to build your meta bug.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Space Hamlet posted:

Gore Magala roadblock. I'm almost there but nottt quite. Right now I'm trying to get him using Kut-Ku armor and Coiled Nail. Any tips, either on equipment or the fight itself, that could help?

Unrelated question, about bows: does close range coating only affect the melee attack, or is it useful for bow types which attack at close range also, like spread?

Your gear should be fine for the fight, plenty of green sharpness on the Coiled Nail and Kut-Ku armor is solid for Low Rank. Make sure you are upgrading your armor with armorspheres at the forge, it makes a noticeable difference. As for Gore himself, with LS you should be able to dance around his back arc and stay there, don't bother getting in front of him unless you are comfortable with his tells. Once you are very comfortable with the weapon and monster you can of course just be in his face 24/7, but don't push it early on, he has very few attacks that hit behind him and the ones that do are low damage. What I like to do with LS is build up a full meter using hit and run attacks, then go for a ride and use the knockdown to get white bar, yellow if I'm lucky. Then just keep focusing his hind legs, you'll get a knockdown or paralyze eventually, which will let you get to red. At red you can be a little more aggressive, since you do so much damage at that point you will get a lot of flinching. Don't be afraid to roll out after every swing if you are getting hit a lot, fade slashes are great damage but they don't have any invincibility frames so you can be punished if you aren't preempting the monster with them.

Be very careful when he flies, he's actually more dangerous in flight than at any other time (in my opinion). He's tricky to hit and he can almost always punish you for hitting him. Unless you have a really good opening (he is virus blasting a cat while hovering next to a ledge for example), probably just focus on evasion while he is flying. He never stays up long.

Since he is roadblocking you a bit, I definitely recommend coming fully prepared. Bring a max potion, you should have a few from the DLC. Failing that, bring some mega nutrients (blue mushroom + godbug for nutrients, nutrients+honey for mega), they increase your max hp, then you can just sleep in the bed to fill the bar. You should also bring nullberries, they don't cure the virus, but they do reduce the bar, giving you more time to overcome it. Bring a pitfall and a shock trap and the combines for more if you are really struggling (net+trap tool, thunderbug+trap tool). Save the traps for when Gore frenzies (mega-rage, where his horns come out). When he frenzies, hit him for a bit, anywhere will do, just hit and run with draw attacks. Then drop a trap after 30 seconds or so, when you have a nice safe opening (when he's annihilating your cats) and go all-out on his head. You can tell he's weakening when his wings start turning back to grey and losing the purple glow. When that happens, one or two more taps to the head will snap him out of it. Even on a very slow run, you shouldn't get more than three frenzies, and the third one will be as he is on the brink of death.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It's g-rank stuff pretty much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yo I'm curious about the Greatsword as somebody who doesn't use it:

Does it ever become possible to, say, get a G Rank GS and get all sorts of cool armor skills then come back to a LR monster and oneshot it with a single charge?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Yo I'm curious about the Greatsword as somebody who doesn't use it:

Does it ever become possible to, say, get a G Rank GS and get all sorts of cool armor skills then come back to a LR monster and oneshot it with a single charge?

Without a doubt, yes.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I feel like I'm dumb and missing something incredibly obvious, but how do you change equipment in the gathering room?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Gentleman Baller posted:

I feel like I'm dumb and missing something incredibly obvious, but how do you change equipment in the gathering room?

You leave and go to your house.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Whoever was asking why people get murdered pink rathian, it's because at least for the progression of Guildhall quests it is a clifface of pain and terror compared to the previous 2 Ranks of key quests. Me and my friend breezed through them 2 manning them all and then Pink Rathian showed up and destroyed us in every possible way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sard posted:

Uh my gun has a radome why wouldn't you use this? But I don't get LBGs. HBG is a thrown hammer, bow is great for mobile busting. Where does the LBG fit in?

I prefer HBGs generally but the Seregios LBG is pretty great. It makes great use of the dodge reload feature which is pretty meh on HBG. It also rivals the damage of HBGs available when you make it. Which is good because it has no status or elemental shots.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Just picked this up last night after hearing tons of praise for it and enjoying the demo; is there any way of toning down the incessant meowing of the palicoes? Maybe I'm a heartless monster but it's kind of obnoxious.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

chaos rhames posted:

You leave and go to your house.

Yea to expand on this you can enter your house if you're online but not accepted a quest, otherwise you gotta drop the quest and run back to change your gear.

Not being able to switch sets/gear in the gathering hall has always been one of those things that I never understood, but i'm sure capcom have their reasons

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I've never played Monster Hunter for some dumb reason but this looks pretty cool. My question is this: I can't see 3D due to an eye injury, does MH4 still play well?

e: I mean I can't use the 3ds' 3D mode like at all

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah it's fine, you don't need it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just noticed there's a HBG in the Dalamadur line named "Robert the Vortex".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People generally don't use the 3DS's 3d features anyway.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Yea to expand on this you can enter your house if you're online but not accepted a quest, otherwise you gotta drop the quest and run back to change your gear.

Not being able to switch sets/gear in the gathering hall has always been one of those things that I never understood, but i'm sure capcom have their reasons

Its extremely rude to get naked in the guild hall dude its not complicated.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It's because the game would have to update your appearance on the fly for all clients, and that was probably buggy/laggy/caused crashes if all 4 people were doing it at once.

Also this game is Japanese, you don't change your clothes in public.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hey, I do. :colbert: Only a little bit up the slider, but still.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

says you

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Monster Hunter is at once completely fine without 3D but also one of the most visually impressive uses of 3D. Scale is great.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm into the idea of Hunting Horn, but can't seem to get into the play style. Is there a bread and butter combo for a downed monster or should I prep songs even then?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Was it just me or did shagaru magala feel less bullshit and more :getin: than gore?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

suuma posted:

I've never played Monster Hunter for some dumb reason but this looks pretty cool. My question is this: I can't see 3D due to an eye injury, does MH4 still play well?

e: I mean I can't use the 3ds' 3D mode like at all

I turned it off in 3U because it gave better framerate and better font, and in 4U I turned it on to go "hey yeah it has 3D wow" and turned it off and didn't turn it back on because I treasure battery life over a gimmick.

You'll be fine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man, people just cannot avoid Akantor's wind tunnel. Weird because it has such a massive tell.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's hosed up that delivering an egg is more stressful than fighting the frenzied Rathian/Rathalos guarding it

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's hosed up that delivering an egg is more stressful than fighting the frenzied Rathian/Rathalos guarding it

There's a reason you should fear the egg mafia guys. To stick so long in that business you have to have some serious juevos.

:rimshot:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Lame Devil posted:

I'm into the idea of Hunting Horn, but can't seem to get into the play style. Is there a bread and butter combo for a downed monster or should I prep songs even then?

Slam their head with forward X+A. If you have a song ready, cue it up with R so that it hits their head, then maybe encore it normally for the backswings.

Alternatively you could left swing X and right swing A repeatedly at their head.

Always be hitting heads.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Lame Devil posted:

I find that alternating a and x (without pushing a direction) is a pretty good infinite combo. If you're going for a stun though (if you don't have a hammer bro), I think doing the backwards slam (a+x, no direction) repeatedly is more efficient.

At least, that's what I do, and it seems to work out okay!

(p.s. this gaijinhunter guide includes motion values for HH. Don't know which game it's from, but they can't be too different: http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/86962514147/hunting-horn-wide-range-support-is-wrong)

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Oof, that jump in damage from LR to HR is just vicious. I went from thinking I was over geared for the Shaggy fight to feeling under geared for this stupid crab. Got carted twice from being oneshot by the water laser and went through a whole stack of mega potions.

Also, it looks like Shagaru armor is statted for LR? I was hoping it would bridge the gap like the Cedeaus in MH3, but doesn't look like it unless I'm missing something.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Soooo...

I'm trying to take a hammer down the path to the explosive goo route, so I need to fight a Brachydios...

Am I going to have to do this caravan 6* double frenzied Tigrex quest to unlock the Brachy quest?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing this series for the first time, the newest one. I can certainly see how this can be addictive, it's quite a rush carving up some of those big beasties. Greatsword supremacy reigns.

It's certainly a game designed to be played on the 3DS XL, though, it's quite the eyesore on the original.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Playing this series for the first time, the newest one. I can certainly see how this can be addictive, it's quite a rush carving up some of those big beasties. Greatsword supremacy reigns.

It's certainly a game designed to be played on the 3DS XL, though, it's quite the eyesore on the original.

Let me tell you about 278 hours on 3U on my launch 3DS.

I gave it to my gf when I got my New 3DSXL, and had to help her with something on it yesterday and was like OH GOD IT'S SO loving SMALL HOW DID I DO IT FOR 4 YEARS :aaaaa:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Soooo...

I'm trying to take a hammer down the path to the explosive goo route, so I need to fight a Brachydios...

Am I going to have to do this caravan 6* double frenzied Tigrex quest to unlock the Brachy quest?

I'm pretty sure you do. Essentially you have to do almost all of the low rank quests to unlock his two quests. The quest you're looking for is Whole Lava Love if it makes things easier.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did the same people who did MHTri also do this game? 11.8 or something? Writing's still very charming, but it feels kinda forced at parts, especially with the Guildmarm.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Haquer posted:

Let me tell you about 278 hours on 3U on my launch 3DS.

I gave it to my gf when I got my New 3DSXL, and had to help her with something on it yesterday and was like OH GOD IT'S SO loving SMALL HOW DID I DO IT FOR 4 YEARS :aaaaa:

Exactly. I'm getting by on it okay but that's mostly because I keep catching myself holding the screen about three inches in front of my face

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Is attack up XL worth getting even with SnS? I've made myself a Monoblos set without really thinking about it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Teddles posted:

Is attack up XL worth getting even with SnS? I've made myself a Monoblos set without really thinking about it.

It's a percentage increase that affects Raw and works with affinity/sharpness. It'll work just fine on any weapon type really.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Did the same people who did MHTri also do this game? 11.8 or something? Writing's still very charming, but it feels kinda forced at parts, especially with the Guildmarm.

8-4 worked on it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whew, finally made it to the caravan Gore. Now I can farm those feelers in safety.

I wish I could get a Chilling Beak, though. I'm not after the LR S+1 set, I just heard the Najarala HBG was good and I think that's what I'll need to see it in the shop.

i just looked it up for you. you need 2 beaks and also 4 sounder+ which is a high rank drop

• Locked thread