Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Asuron posted:

Show me a game that has used rape as a subject so we can actually discuss this properly. The only game I can recall that ever used rape in the story was the Witcher 2 and it was used to show how terrible the person doing it was.

Most times it's used as 'Fridging' type character motivation, sure, but there's at least two examples that at least try to take rape seriously.

You actually have to go back a bit but Sierra's Phantasmogoria is a kinda-sorta retelling of The Shining with a pretty graphic marital rape sequence in it. It's buried in a game with some pretty goofy stuff in it but the scene is pretty drat gripping.

Also Ellen's story in 'I Have No Mouth...' revolves about her confronting a sexual assault she once endured. Again pretty drat gripping and, again, in a game filled with goofy poo poo.

Probably not the best examples, but I'll argue that I just dredged up two games that are nearly 30 years old that at least tried to deal with rape and the consequences of it in a far more mature and respectful way than most modern games.

horay i started a new page with this

and i said 'at least' at least 3 times because i shouldnt be posting as soon as ive woken up

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That can't be true in a world where games like Drakengard and Kane & Lynch 2 exist, as they are pure expressions of the gamemakers hatred for their audience in game form.

There's also the quintessential Takeshi's Challenge, which is the conjoined manifestation of drunken resign, cruel apathy, and wry melancholy.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
^^^ These men are PAWNS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

I think they're wonderful :allears:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

A good poster posted:

I think they're wonderful :allears:

I can't believe that these men may control the fate of the Middle East!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Genetic Toaster posted:

I can't believe that these men may control the fate of the Middle East!

AI-YAI-HAI!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's the layout of the redlettermedia building? Is that little alcove with the VHS shelves part of the same room with the two couches where they watch the Best of the Worst movies? Sometimes when they open the door in that alcove there's a lot of natural light coming in, but it doesn't seem like an exterior door, so does that door go to the big studio where they film half in the bag?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

boom boom boom posted:

What's the layout of the redlettermedia building?

Are you planning an assassination raid? You're making me nervous. Plinkett was bad but not fatwa bad.....

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Has anyone been watching Gamegrump's playthrough of Legend of Zelda 2? It's actually been pretty amazing. Dan is killing it at that game, and he reminded me of why I liked it when I was a kid.
I really wish those guys would talk more seriously about game design more often, because they often seem to have viewpoints that are somewhat in opposition but not so much that they can't find common ground. Not like Arin/Jon where they would just talk in circles about "game feel" with Arin completely not understanding the concept of immersion and Jon handwaving aside gameplay complaints.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

boom boom boom posted:

What's the layout of the redlettermedia building? Is that little alcove with the VHS shelves part of the same room with the two couches where they watch the Best of the Worst movies? Sometimes when they open the door in that alcove there's a lot of natural light coming in, but it doesn't seem like an exterior door, so does that door go to the big studio where they film half in the bag?

Studio? What?

They film in Mr. Plinkett's house. I emailed them asking if I could have a tour, but they said the house in on the bottom of the lake right now. Their insurance doesn't cover SCUBA gear for visitors (premiums were too high, I think it'll be a stretch goal on Patreon soon).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Speaking of game design talk, Jack and Rich posted a thing about it!

To be frank about the title they chose, they managed to pick one of the least serious CODs that sort of gets more and more goofy about itself. (Plus it's less attractive to "Howcum??? They hate our freedoms?? Go help Noriega with North looking at you from the future" so hoooraaaay)

IronicDongz posted:

I really wish those guys would talk more seriously about game design more often, because they often seem to have viewpoints that are somewhat in opposition but not so much that they can't find common ground. Not like Arin/Jon where they would just talk in circles about "game feel" with Arin completely not understanding the concept of immersion and Jon handwaving aside gameplay complaints.

Or "Tetris is not a videogame" being a thing that isn't grounds for getting laughed at on that circle.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 22, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey Wicked, as a trans person, you need to learn the meaning of the word 'nuance', you dumb stupid idiot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kunster posted:

Or "Tetris is not a videogame" being a thing that isn't grounds for getting laughed at on that circle.

Wait, who thinks that Tetris isn't a video game and why?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

JonTron has stated on the middle of a GameGrumps episode that Tetris was too simple and too quick to pick up to be considered "a real videogame". (Refered to it as an "not a real game, an iphone game") sorta thing.

I did hear some videogame streamers try to pin Tetris as "not a game but rather a concept" as well.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, I'm glad I can't stand JonTron in GameGrumps. I still like his reviews, but Dan is just so much better.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You can argue that Tetris isn't a game, but a puzzle, but saying it's not a video game is just bizarre.

Also I made a new review, dealing with Christian Weston Chandler's musical output. I don't really recommend the video if you're not already familiar with the guy (and with my videos), I'm just posting it here for the people who already follow my stuff.

EDIT: I'm being informed that it's copyright blocked in the USA. I've got a fix I'm working on, but it's gonna take a number of hours.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 22, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I got so into the Zelda 2 episode of Game Grumps I decided to play while I listened to them in the background. I always liked this game but I'm enjoying it much more now that I know how to kill the knights without any trouble. I have one crystal left so I'm not sure if that's for "Ganon's" tower or not.

edit: Yeah, I like Dan more than Jon Tron too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As far as I'm concerned, anything that's ever been a pack-in title for a Nintendo console (i.e., Tetris for original Game Boy) is a video game.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tetris isn't a video game. It's the only video game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WickedHate posted:

Man, I'm glad I can't stand JonTron in GameGrumps. I still like his reviews, but Dan is just so much better.
Dan is not only usually more funny but he's a way way more likeable, real guy. I feel like he's basically never pretending while with Jon it seemed like 90% of what he did was an act.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I've only listened to a few game grumps episodes and I think part of the reason why I never really got into it was because of Jontron. My guess is that younger people/kids probably like him a lot which is worth something I suppose.

:shepface: :argh: :spergin: He also said that Zelda 3 was the most overrated game of all time and Ocarina was better. :spergin: :argh: :shepface:

207-563-5532
Oct 20, 2004

Kunster posted:

JonTron has stated on the middle of a GameGrumps episode that Tetris was too simple and too quick to pick up to be considered "a real videogame". (Refered to it as an "not a real game, an iphone game") sorta thing.

I did hear some videogame streamers try to pin Tetris as "not a game but rather a concept" as well.

a game you play with video is a video game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've only listened to a few game grumps episodes and I think part of the reason why I never really got into it was because of Jontron. My guess is that younger people/kids probably like him a lot which is worth something I suppose.

:shepface: :argh: :spergin: He also said that Zelda 3 was the most overrated game of all time and Ocarina was better. :spergin: :argh: :shepface:
I agree that Ocarina is better but calling alttp 'overrated' in comparison is really weird considering how much more often OoT is cited as a masterpiece/the best Zelda game, yeah.

Jontron yells a lot and plays a part, which works... alright when it's a review that he edits, less so when it's part of an informal sit-on-the-couch and shoot the poo poo type thing.
The only downside of him no longer being on Gamegrumps is that Arin sometimes veers a little into that territory himself in an effort to entertain now.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 22, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Threw up a quick review of Redwall by Brian Jacques, the medieval-light-fantasy-but-with-rodents book where mice are white people and rats are the Huns.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
around rats never relax.

edit: Seriously I loved those books as a kid but it annoyed me that there wasn't a single good or reformed "bad" animal. I really wanted to read about a rat or something that was good but had to prove himself to the abbey. The last one I read had a couple stoats? or something that ended up as wards in the Abbey. The second they turned bad and killed someone in the abbey I instantly stopped reading and never read another one.

edit2: Just finished your video, As far as I know things never changed.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 22, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's a lot of implicit racism in the idea of some groups of people being inherently worse/more evil by virtue of their birth, even if they're woodland creatures, and that's a not-small part of what wrecked that series for me as a kid.

Every book he goes on and on about how awful and evil rats/weasels/'vermin' are and they practically never do anything good, and while having whole groups of people which are inherently more prone to steal and lie and kill and just be innately bad is lovely enough, especially in a series of books aimed at children, there was that one book in which the main character was a weasel who was raised in redwall, which I(and the other couple of nerds I knew as a id who also read those books) was excited for as a kid because I wanted a book about a good 'vermin' lead.

But the book goes out of its way to show that he's just driven to be a terrible person naturally because of who his parents were, completely independently of how he is actually raised and the environment he grows up in. none of that poo poo matters, he had parents who were X thing and X is bad so he is bad.

At the end, he literally sacrifices his own life via taking a thrown spear to save the person it was aimed at. Which anyone reading would assume is all a final act to redeem him, but no! None of the characters think so, including the person he just gave his life to save, who seriously says[paraphrasing] "he may have done this one good thing, but all in all he was rotten. some creatures are just bad."

Which is absolutely loving crazy. This is the message you're trying to get readers to take? This whole situation you've written screams the exact opposite. This character gave their life to save you and you're saying they were inherently evil because of, genetics more or less? gently caress off brian

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there's a redwall book where they spend the whole book chasing a kidnapper villain to fight him and then at the end right before they catch up to him he trips, falls into a hole and dies

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The only good rat ended up living as a hermit as not to upset the good animals of the forest. And there was a cat in the first book who was "neutral".

It is completely insane, and I don't know what we're supposed to learn from it. It doesn't even reflect real animals.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jack Gladney posted:

Video games can't be art because they are vehicles for the wish fulfillment of the player. It's like if every movie were Indiana Jones or Star Wars. The medium is inherently juvenile which is why all of its most vocal defenders or advocates are giant weeping babies who throw tantrums every five minutes.

You've got very interesting ideas about what constitutes 'art':

1: Something is racist if racist people consume it or like it for seemingly any reason
2: Something isn't art if it involves 'wish fulfilment' for the people consuming it
3: Indiana Jones and Star Wars are 'less art' than other films because they are 'juvenile', and also because they fulfil someone's wishes to see a film about space or adventure.
4: Whether or not something fits these definitions of art has some sort of meaning or purpose in the wider world.

You do know that literally all films are vehicles for wish fulfilment, in that they fulfil the creator's wish to create a film or tell a certain story, right? Furthermore art is all about desire, especially in a commodity-driven culture, and the entire point of large swaths of art-reading is to come to a better understanding of this process and the affect it has on people.

I don't know how someone who recognises Tetris as the best game can be wrong on so many other counts. You'd better be really good at Tetris when you're first against the wall or you'll have your work cut out for you in my gulag.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That can't be true in a world where games like Drakengard and Kane & Lynch 2 exist, as they are pure expressions of the gamemakers hatred for their audience in game form.
Kane and Lynch 2 has the second-top spot next to Hotline Miami (e: and, if you hadn't guessed, Tetris) on my list of Maximum Art Games, and perhaps has the best video game punchline of all time (it's called dog days and the final boss is two dogs you cap in one hit each before running away and the credits roll)

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 22, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

IronicDongz posted:

At the end, he literally sacrifices his own life via taking a thrown spear to save the person it was aimed at. Which anyone reading would assume is all a final act to redeem him, but no! None of the characters think so, including the person he just gave his life to save, who seriously says[paraphrasing] "he may have done this one good thing, but all in all he was rotten. some creatures are just bad."

Which is absolutely loving crazy. This is the message you're trying to get readers to take? This whole situation you've written screams the exact opposite. This character gave their life to save you and you're saying they were inherently evil because of, genetics more or less? gently caress off brian

Not having read the book in question (I've only read one Redwall book and it was back in middle school so I barely remember it), are you sure this wasn't meant to be a bit of irony? Like, this guy was really good but these mice can't see it? Obviously they're still the heroes but they can be flawed.

Of course, I'm not optimistic that this is the case given that this is a book for children, and you probably would have mentioned if it was obviously true.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

There's also the possibility the character or their wider society is subtly a racist one - or that good and bad in the context of Redwall's bizarres animal kingdoms carry a different sort of meaning to ours.

e: vvvv - Yeah! The story functions as a really interesting reflection of that sort of game. It's very clearly created by people who don't give a poo poo about the '''original canon'''' of K&L Dead Men, considering none of the first game really comes up and iirc the story continues from neither of the original games' endings. It might as well be two of the gears of war dudes or some of the codblopses.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 22, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

Kane and Lynch 2 has the second-top spot next to Hotline Miami (e: and, if you hadn't guessed, Tetris) on my list of Maximum Art Games, and perhaps has the best video game punchline of all time (it's called dog days and the final boss is two dogs you cap in one hit each before running away and the credits roll)

That's actually why I mentionned. That game is the opposite of fun to play, but there's soemthing artful about the ways it just shits on the main characters and everything they stand for.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Ha, wow, I didn't look any further in the series when I made the review, had no idea it got that bad. Kind of want to read and review the rest of the series just to see how lovely it gets.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The only good rat ended up living as a hermit as not to upset the good animals of the forest. And there was a cat in the first book who was "neutral".

It is completely insane, and I don't know what we're supposed to learn from it. It doesn't even reflect real animals.
I think that is, beyond the simple failures at good storytelling, the biggest problem with Redwall-dude couldn't even keep the different sizes of the species straight. Mouseguard on the other hand succeeds at it by having the mice be in conflict with predator species which will directly eat them and such, which I guess Brian Jacques didn't feel comfortable with seeing how rarely the good creatures die.

Jsor posted:

Not having read the book in question (I've only read one Redwall book and it was back in middle school so I barely remember it), are you sure this wasn't meant to be a bit of irony? Like, this guy was really good but these mice can't see it? Obviously they're still the heroes but they can be flawed.

Of course, I'm not optimistic that this is the case given that this is a book for children, and you probably would have mentioned if it was obviously true.
I'm not going to say that it is 100% impossible but I really really doubt it, especially considering how the 'vermin' species being lovely is basically the reason behind everything bad in almost all of his books(I read all of them because I was a bored as gently caress child). There's a lot of times where naive, unsuspecting good characters are misled by vermin who are seemingly kind and charming but inevitably secretly evil murderers, like this whole prolonged bit in one of them where a badger girl(why are badgers noble non-vermin again?) gets tricked by a couple of... I think weasels? into revealing the secrets of her father's fortress or something after being lured away from home. It all feels very lovely. Characters even spontaneously develop accents based on their species even if they were never ever around anyone who talked that way.

I think grand total there are two "good" vermin-the aforementioned rat hermit, and then one lady pirate or something who kills some lizards on a boat and then confesses she always wanted to be good while she's dying.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 22, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just finished the video. Yeah, I don't think he was critiquing the society as racist in the later book... :stare:

You mentioned Tolkein when you talked about races being inherently evil. I'm not an expert on Tolkein (I can't stand the guy's prose enough to dedicate myself to that, for one), but as I understand it -- it's not that they're evil because they're orcs, it's that they're orcs because they're evil. In that an orc that became good would spontaneously become an elf. You can still do some nasty racist poo poo with that sort of idea, but I think it's a lot cooler and has a lot more potential for not being terrible than "these guys are evil because they are".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, Tolkein at least has the excuse that goblins, orcs, ogres etc. are 'corrupted' versions of men, elves, ents... not the greatest excuse, but at least it is one.

There's bigger issues than the orc thing in how firstly the only humans fighting evil are white, and how Tolkein based Dwarves off of his readings of Jews, from the "exiled from native lands" aspect, to their language, which he made to be an analogue of a Semitic language with some Hebrew-related phonology. I can't find the specific letter he wrote about it that I'm looking for but I did find a quote from him saying "I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue..."

poparena posted:

Ha, wow, I didn't look any further in the series when I made the review, had no idea it got that bad. Kind of want to read and review the rest of the series just to see how lovely it gets.
Not that I wouldn't be interested in this, but I think a lot of the time it'd just be sort of a lame undertone than something overt enough to make fun of(minus a couple of books). I will say that while they're still not really good, a lot of the later books aren't written as badly as the first one.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 22, 2015

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Asuron posted:

Show me a game that has used rape as a subject so we can actually discuss this properly. The only game I can recall that ever used rape in the story was the Witcher 2 and it was used to show how terrible the person doing it was.

FEAR 2. Though I haven't played the game myself, so I don't know how it actually handles it.

Jsor posted:

I just finished the video. Yeah, I don't think he was critiquing the society as racist in the later book... :stare:

You mentioned Tolkein when you talked about races being inherently evil. I'm not an expert on Tolkein (I can't stand the guy's prose enough to dedicate myself to that, for one), but as I understand it -- it's not that they're evil because they're orcs, it's that they're orcs because they're evil. In that an orc that became good would spontaneously become an elf. You can still do some nasty racist poo poo with that sort of idea, but I think it's a lot cooler and has a lot more potential for not being terrible than "these guys are evil because they are".

From what I've read, Tolkien was never truly satisfied with the orcs all being evil since that clashed with his own Catholic beliefs in salvation being available to everyone. The best kludge he could come up with is that the orcs are evil because they were turned evil as part of their transformation, and he was never very comfortable with that idea either.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 22, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jsor posted:

Orcs are elves that were tortured and corrupted by Morgoth's magic into twisted evil things. Trolls are something similar off of giants, I think. They're both basically just demons. Men are really the only races that really has full free will to be good or evil. Elves are lesser 3rd degree angels, dwarves are rock men who are pretty much only interested in Dwarf poo poo, Ents are just trees interested in Tree poo poo, and halflings are an offshoot of men or something.

Saruman's Uruk-Hai might actually have free will since they're half man, but who knows. They're half demon and created by essentially a fallen angel.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, Tolkein at least has the excuse that goblins, orcs, ogres etc. are 'corrupted' versions of men, elves, ents... not the greatest excuse, but at least it is one.

The other excuse was that Lord of the Rings was published in 1954 and there's only 4 books there. The Redwall series on the other hand is made up of 22 books that were largely published in the 80's/90's/00's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Now that I think about it the only things I like from Redwall are the words 'Eulalia' and 'Salamandastron'

• Locked thread